Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Help wanted locating / finding title of a childrens' / teen book [various merged]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Help wanted locating / finding title of a childrens' / teen book [various merged]

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 05:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternatively ....
You're Too Small!!
Shen Roddie & Steve Lavis
Tiger Tales
202 Old Ridgefield Road, Wilton, CT 06897
1589250389 $15.95 1-203-834-0005

You're Too Small!! is the story of Tad, a little mouse who wants to help Pig with watermelons, Goat with stacking hay, and Rabbit with flying a kite. But in each case Tad is told that he's to small! It's only when the animals are locked out of the barn and Tad turns out to be little enough to get inside that he realizes that being small does have it's advantages! Shen Roddie's pleasant picturebook story is nicely illustrated throughout with the artwork of Steve Lavis. You're Too Small!! is also available in a paperback format (158925385X, $6.95).
Old 01-08-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
It doesn't exactly meet the criteria but how about "My Friend Rabbit"?
Wow. That's it! Thanks benedict.

Gold seal, and an airplane not a kite. Pretty good going off wrong details.

Here's the cover for any others that may have interest:
Old 02-13-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe some new Book Talkers have some insight into the titles that blamjackel, whotony, Kittydreamer and DVDpackrat are still seeking....?
Thanks for trying. I'm still looking for it but I don't have much to go on. I just remember this one line that really stands out to me. The landlady says "Get rid of this junk or I'll get rid of you!". I wish I could remember the title of the book, it's driving me batty.
Old 03-30-07, 11:00 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantasy Series Help! Part 2

ok, I'm a different dude with a differnt question.

I recall reading in middle school a fantasy book (or series, I can't remember) about a kid and a magician who go on a quest of some kind, the world they live on is a Midevil fantasy setting, but it seems to take place like thousands of years in the future on earth after we've all nuked ourselves ala planet of the apes.

Additionally, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT TERRY BROOKS SHANNARA SERIES

I say again, THIS IS NOT SHANNARA.

It may have been a "young adult" series and not regular adult fiction.

Anyone have any idea what book or series I'm talking about. I can't fricken remember.
Old 03-31-07, 06:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

From the description it seems unlikely to be Rodman Philbrick's "The Last Book In The Universe":
Spaz, a boy who lives on the fringes of his surreal future world, partly because epilepsy prevents him from using the mind probes most people use to blot out reality, sets out on a classic quest to save his ill foster sister. To do so, he must cross forbidden territory and face frightening gangs and their leaders. He picks up companions as he travels: Ryter, a philosophic old man whose treasure is the book he is writing despite knowing that books and reading are of the past; Littleface, a young almost speechless child; and Linnea, a "prove" (genetically improved person). In saving his sister, Spaz learns about himself and his parentage. This action-packed story has some strong and provocative messages. It should prove popular among middle school listeners.
Tom McGowen's "Magician's Apprentice " seems a little more likely although it is aimed at slightly younger readers:
When Tigg, a 12-year-old pickpocket , is caught searching a magician's house , he expects a beating, or worse. Instead the magician takes him on as an apprentice. When the magician, Armindor, proposes a journey to the ``wild lands,'' Tigg finds himself agreeing despite the discomfort and danger. On the journey, Tigg rescues and befriends Reepah, a furry creature with the power of speech. Reepah repeatedly warns them that they are being followed by a creature of evil that he calls ``Isst,'' a warning Armindor ignores until it is almost too late. At the end Naro, one of the two soldiers hired to protect them, murders the other; he in turn is murdered by a group of Isst. While the story initially seems to have a medieval setting, alert readers will quickly discover that this is set on Earth 3,000 years after a nuclear war and that the treasure of ancient magic Armindor and Tigg search for are common-place tools and objects from our time. Reepah and the Isst are mutations of common species, and at one point Tigg wonders if people were changed alsowhile twitching his long pointed ears.
I thought I'd have a very quick try but the chances are that there is another title out there that better fits the bill!

Last edited by benedict; 03-31-07 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
I have asked everyone I have ever met. In third grade or so (1984/85), our teacher read us a book or story within a book about a family that decided to stop cleaning their house. Dirt started to pile up, and plants and trees started growing in their house. Pretty soon the inside was just like the outside world. I have searched all over and can not find out anything about this book. Any help? Thanks.
Kind of sounds like a Shel Silverstein poem, like something from Where the Sidewalk ends or something.
Old 04-21-07, 06:05 PM

Need help indentifying a children's book

And sorry, I have small amount of info:

I was reminiscing about my childhood and I remember back in elementary school or maybe early middle school, we had a book to read and it had something to do with Chocolate. Probably some group of kids had to sell some chocolate...not too sure. I remember the books were brand new, and along with them our teacher gave us cool pencils that had a chocolate scent. I'm only 21 so this wasn't during the 70's or anything like that.

It's been driving me crazy for the past few days... I tried searching bn.com but the search results came up with nothing familiar. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 04-21-07, 06:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Neither really fits the bill but....

.... after merging the thread I thought I'd post the covers!

Old 04-29-07, 09:10 PM

Childrens Book from the 60s?

I am trying to find a copy of a book that was read to my mom as a child by her grandmother. She thinks the book is called Prissy Misses. I have tried a google search but nothing has come up. This leads me to the conclusion that that might not be the title. The book is about several little girls with names like horrible hannah and pokey polly. I think it was supposed to teach children manners? Can anyone at least confirm or deny the title of the book??? Thanks!
~Tricia
Old 08-10-07, 01:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Maybe you are looking for the works of Barbara Bottner e.g. Bootsie Barker Bites
Old 08-10-07, 02:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Maybe not - 1960s!

I didn't read the post sufficiently closely....

.... although BB wrote one called "Horrible Hannah", the timescale is all wrong!

Last edited by benedict; 08-10-07 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 12:25 PM

need help! can't remember childern's book

Can anyone remember a children's book that had to do with a teacher who's class was really bad....so she decided to dress up as a mean witch looking subsitute teacher and scared them? I think they made it into a cartoon kinda like how they did with "where the wild things are"
Old 12-07-07, 01:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Miss Nelson is Missing

Old 12-07-07, 10:07 PM

Yup!!! that's it!
thanks alot!!
Old 04-29-08, 10:32 PM
DB

Shot in the dark: help me re-find my favorite children's sci fi book!

When I was a kid, one of my favorite books was a kid's book about a kid who had a robot companion. Timeframe is probably late 1970s, or very early 1980s. All I can remember about it now was that near the end, the robot's battery was running down, and I think it hid in a washing machine or dryer in a laundromat. I'd like to find the book again now to give to my own kids.

I realize this is an extreme long shot, but if anyone remember's the book, I'd be grateful for the title or author!

- David
Old 04-30-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E.t.
Old 04-30-08, 07:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

This probably doesn't fit with the plot description provided but there is a 1975 book by Alfred Slote called "My Robot Buddy".
Old 06-26-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Need help finding a kids book about monsters

When I was a kid, there was a book that I frequently got from the local library. It was a picture book about an island of monsters. The monsters spent all their time fighting and at night they would all hide in caves. One of the monsters tried to stay out one night to see what would happen, but he froze. The fighting got worse and worse, and at the end the monsters were all gone (I assume dead), and the island turned green and flowers grew.

This book was very crudely drawn and I was fascinated by it because it was so violent for a kids book. I think it was called "Terrible Island" or "Terrible Monsters" but I'm really not sure. Anyone remember this from their childhood?
Old 06-29-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Need help finding a kids book about monsters

where the wild things are?
Old 07-15-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Need help finding a kids book about monsters

Originally Posted by al_bundy
where the wild things are?
No. I'm familiar with Wild Things. The one I'm thinking of is very crudely drawn. Almost like a kid's drawing.
Old 08-06-11, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Help wanted locating / finding title of a childrens' / teen book [various merged]

Ok around 1990 or so, found this book where this kid was in a a department store and watching TV. He somehow went into the TV on a game show.

Everything in this TV world was reversed, and there was a line where stuff from our world came through, which was to explain where stuff goes when we lose it, there is a rip in the lining between the two worlds... then sometimes the people on the other side push it back which is why sometimes we find it where we know it wasn't there a couple of minutes ago.

And I think He goes back and forth a few times, and it starts to change him. Suddenly trivial stuff seems important and vice versa.

He keeps eating packets of ketchup because they taste wonderful to him and chocolate chip cookies taste gross.
Old 04-21-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Trying to Remember Scary Kid's Halloween Book

I've never forgotten a book my mother read to me when I was a little kid, back around 1983.

It was a kid's picture book. Big colour pictures on every page.

It was about a kid trick or treating, he goes inside a haunted house and when he comes out at the end of the story he is an old man.

I don't remember if he changes back into a little boy again (probably did), but I remember the horrific imagine of him coming out of that house with a beard and his clothing all aged and walking home, knowing he has been cheated out of his life.

Anyone remember this book? Or what it was called?
Old 04-22-14, 06:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

Bump

Quite a few pleas posted here some time ago might benefit from a fresh pair of eyes. And, in particular CJ's recent post, above.

And I'm broadly quoting from some of the resources mentioned earlier...

Remember BookSleuth, part of Abebooks which includes a section where you can ask about childrens' books: http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom

If you don't have any luck here I would recommend reposting your query on the newsgroup rec.arts.books.childrens

If you don't already use newsgroups, you might be better doing this via Google. Remember to use a throwaway webmail address to deflect spam/UCE!

If/when you post, put "ID" and something descriptive in the subject line, like "ID: halloween theme, boy visits haunted house, departs an old man", and then in the actual post, put as much information as you can about what you remember.