Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A Guide to Mystery Books

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Guide to Mystery Books

I went to a book sale and came across this. If it doesn't come out right, I'll link it so it can be downloaded.

Please feel free to tell me to add (I noticed Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver and Stephen Hunter are surprisingly absent from this list, among others).

Mods, if you feel this should go in the Mystery thread, by all means move it. I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

If you like a dash of humor with your crime:

Robert Barnard Dorothy Cannell Peter Dickenson Carl Hiaasen Charlotte MacLeod Elizabeth Peters
Diane Mott Davidson George Baxt Henry Cecil Aaron Elkins Michael Innes William Marshall
Craig Rice Lillian Braun Edmund Crispin Jonathan Gash Stuart Kaminsky Sharyn McCrumb
Ross Thomas Simon Brett Sarah Caudwell Dorothy Gilman Elmore Leonard Barbara Paul
Donald Westlake Janet Evanovitch

If you like the genteel British mystery with violence off-stage as represented by the likes of Christie, Sayers, Marsh and Allingham:

Marlan Babson Anna Clarke E.X. Giroux P.D. James Elizabeth Peters Robert Barnard
Edmund Crispin Martha Grimes Jane Langton Julian Symons Chritstianna Brand Colin Dexter
Sarah Caudwell Michael Gilbert Michael Innes Patricia Moyes

If you like the realistic style of the classic California private eye novel (no matter where it’s set):

Larry Beinhart George Chesbro Earl Emerson Stuart Kaminsky John MacDonald Robert Parker
Lawrence Block Liza Cody Loren Estleman Elmore Leonard Ross MacDonald Bill Pronzini
Rick Boyer Robert Crais Sue Grafton Michael Lewin A.E. Maxwell Roger Simon
James Lee Burke James Crumley Stephen Greenleaf Dick Lochte Marcia Muller Shelly Singer
Robert Campbell James Ellroy Joseph Hansen John Lutz Sara Paretsky William Tapply

If you like women writers with a strong female lead:

Linda Barnes Susan Dunlap Joan Hess Marcia Muller Audrey Peterson Janet L. Smith
Edna Buchanan Jaqueline Girdner Karen Kijewski Barbara Neely Nancy Pickard Dana Stabenow
Liza Cody Sue Grafton Margaret Maron Lillian O’Donnell Gillian Roberts Gloria White
Patricia Cornwell Linda Grant Lia Matera Sara Paretsky Sandra Scoppettone Janet Dawson
Amanda Cross Carolyn Hart Sharyn McCrumb Elizabeth Peters Sarah Shankman Janet Evanovitch

If you like tough urban crime novels:

Lawrence Block Robert Campbell James Ellroy Chester Himes Elmore Leonard Jim Thompson
James Cain George Chesbro David Goodis Jonathan Kellerman Carsten Stroud Andrew Vachss

If you like San Francisco writers/Bay Area settings:

James Dalessandro Joe Gores Lia Matera Bill Pronzini Gloria White C.Q. Yarbro
Janet Dawson Linda Grant Joseph McNamara Shelly Singer Collin Wilcox Susan Dunlap
Stephen Greenleaf Marcia Muller Julie Smith Mary Wings Jaqueline Girdner John Lescroart
Sister Carol O’Marie Marilyn Wallace Susan Wolfe

If you like books that are well-written regardless of “type” or “category”:

Lawrence Block Dick Francis Dashiel Hammeit William Marshall Ruth Rendell Josephine Tey
James Lee Burke Elizabeth Goerge Tony Hillerman Ed McBain Dorothy Sayers Ross Thomas
Raymond Chandler Sue Grafton Jonathan Kellerman Christina McGuine Rex Stout Arthur Upfield
James Ellroy James W. Hall Elmore Leonard Sara Paretsky

If you like legal thrillers:

William Bernhard Phillip Friedman Gini Hartzmark Richard Parrish Grif Stockley Kate Wilhelm
William Coughlin John Grisham Steve Martini Richard Patterson Scott Turow

Link to DOC file (44k).

Enjoy.

-Steve
Old 05-05-03, 03:13 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Thanks for the post Steve - can never have enough Mystery novelist links.
Old 05-05-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bit of a hodge podge, but mostly good writers. There's a similar type of list, broken down by category, on Mystery Ink.

http://www.mysteryinkonline.com/bytype.htm
Old 05-06-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the link djmont!

If you guys feel I should add any that are on there, please let me know. Judging by your posts, I tend to like the same authors you guys do and I'm always up to reading someone new.

Oh, and no problem Geofferson! I had made the copy to email to my dad (another avid mystery reader, I actually get a lot of books from him) and I figured someone else may find some use for it.
Old 02-11-05, 08:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/18/104-5732464-3546323

From Sherlock Holmes to Travis McGee to Harry Bosch, the mystery genre has always been a fertile breeding ground for intriguing characters and hard-to-put-down series. These lists of favorite series, in alphabetical order by the author's last name, provide a starting point for many hours of great reading.
Figured I'd pass along this new feature I saw at Amazon for fans of the mystery genre (or anyone who is after a good starting point).
Old 01-05-06, 12:20 PM

Need recomendations for mystery/suspense novels

I'm trying to find more mystery/suspsense authors for my mom. She's read Mary Higgins Clark, Greg Iles, John Grisham and Terri Blackstock. We're looking for stuff that doesn't have too much cursing or sex. Doesn't have to be completely clean, just at a minimum. She doesn't like James Patterson or Patricia Cornwell for that reason.

I work in a library so I'll be able to get whatever's suggested. It's just hard trying to break into a new author. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-06, 01:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As well as what is indicated above, beatccr, you might also find something worthwhile in the following thread:

Looking for good mystery / whodunnit novels
Old 01-05-06, 01:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

I thought I'd merge-bump this in case anyone now felt like adding to the overall thematic guide that Alien Redrum started.
Old 01-08-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice to see a fellow Virginian on the board, beatccr.

Your Mom might enjoy Julia Spencer-Fleming, my favorite cozy writer. Rhys Bowen also has been getting good notices in recent years. If she has any interest in antiques, she might try Elaine Flinn.
Old 06-19-14, 02:05 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: A Guide to Mystery Books

I'd forgotten about this thread.

Although it may have been superseded in part by the longstanding "Hard Case Crime" series of threads I thought I'd bump it for the benefit of any newbies &/or crime fiction scholars who might like to add to the resource.