Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

On The Road, by Jack Kerouac

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On The Road, by Jack Kerouac

So, I just finished reading On The Road. First thing I would like to say is, MY GOD IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO FINISH IT!!! I must have started reading this book in November. I can't explain why, I just couldn't read huge sections at a time. I enjoyed it, and I was always eager to see what was going to happen next, on the road, but I tired of reading it so quickly.

Anyone feel like discussing an American classic? I feel this book was too good to not talk to someone about it, unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot of readers.

First topic:

Was Dean more in love with Sal? Or was Sal more in love with Dean?

I'll be back with my opinion later...
Old 01-31-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched a documentary on Kerouac the other day. It's funny that he said he wrote the book in two weeks. He would always write on rolls of teletype paper so he could type in a stream of consciousness. It took me over one year to finish reading the book.

To answer your question, I believe that Sal was more in love with Dean than other way around. Kerouac stated this in an interview with Steve Allen. I think the book is amazing in the fact that these people could just up and travel across America with what seemed like little or no cares. They worked only when they had to and always tried to have a good time. Some might say they were lazy bums that had no respect for anyone or anything, but I think they were free spirits that were just looking for a little direction.

One of my uncles road the rails from Texas to California when he was 14. Since reading the book, I have a new interest in picking his brain about his trip.
Old 01-31-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never finished it when I attempted to read it over the summer. It is just one of those books that was truly difficult for me to get into, and that's just me.

It was interesting, but I wasn't in love with it. That's sort of an obvious statement, since I only got through about half of the book. I'll finish it one day, and hopefully have something worthwhile to contribute, assuming this thread still exists when I get around to it.
Old 02-04-03, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Love the book. It just makes be depressed that I've never done any type of traveling like this. Maybe someday ...