Reload this Page >

Need to write a story, out of ideas!

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 09-08-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm taking two courses. One of the courses has an assignment due in 1.5 weeks, and I have pages and pages on that one because I was inspired. For the other one, which is due in 20 hours (three days... 20 hours is the free time I have) and I can't come up with a second idea. With an idea, I can have the five pages in 2 hours........ without an idea, it's going to be like the past week... nothing. Where can I get an idea from? I thought about taking the story from the point it ended for course one but I really want another one entirely.

What should I do? What do you all do for ideas?
Old 09-08-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, let yourself go. If you pain yourself into coming up with something, it will rarely happen. Inspiration is indeed a fickle entity. Go for a walk and think of little. I find that walking helps me to think and I often come up with things while pacing the floor. I am currently writing a poem to a woman I am falling very deeply for. During my lunch hour, I've been sitting in a garden by the Art Institute in Chicago. The setting there has helped me to come up with several good quatrains for the poem. Being outdoors helps a lot. Yesterday while working on the same poem, I had the new Norah Jones CD on while I drank some beer. I was fine tuning some words and phrases on the computer and all of a sudden became greatly inspired and started to write some fantastic stuff. For fiction, reading the paper everyday will lead you to interesting tidbits and may spark something in you. Good luck!
Old 09-08-02, 06:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you next sleep, pick up a magazine, a novel and a flick on a tv channel at random and write down the first three sentences you hear or read.

Perhaps also open up a dictionary three times at random and very quickly focus on a word from each page you see first. Write these down also, including the full definition.

Think about how there might be connections either between the random sentences and words or even between the feelings and thoughts that they engender. Scribble down some associations if any arise in your mind.

Put your notebook by your bedside before you go to bed.

On waking the next morning (or perhaps in the night) sit up in bed and write all you can, by way of a plan/outline, in your notebook; either with reference to the original piece of paper with the three sentences and three word definitions on or just using what your subconscious has worked out for you in the night.

Old 09-08-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
Write about your friends and family. Just change the names and the specifics.
Old 09-09-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about all these geeks who live online on a message board?

Old 09-09-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Would you like an idea? I recently came up with an idea for a comic book, but I can't draw and I can't write. All I'd want is a finished copy and shared movie rights
Old 09-10-02, 10:50 AM

Almost all my decent story ideas have come to me when I was half asleep. I'd try what Benedict suggested, or else sit in a chair with keys in your hand and try to relax while thinking about your story. Hopefully if you get sleepy enough to drop the keys, the jingle will wake you up and you might have an idea (never tried it, but I read someone famous--maybe Einstein? used to do that).

I don't envy you having to write under pressure. Math proofs and writing stories are two things that for me at least, require time and no pressure. (I get into this state where I can't concentrate on anything but how little time I have left.)

Good luck.

tasha
Old 09-10-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's this hot chick who needs to write a story, but has no ideas. Late one night she goes online and finds this odd little message board where she asks for help. During the night, users from the board invade her dreams. Not the people, but whatever their usernames are: scorpio, ravan, boatdrinks, etc, etc.

Old 09-10-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts
I finished it and turned it in on time... thanks for the well wishes I DID start it on time... a week ago... and 4 days passed with no inspiration But alas yesterday inspiration struck

Boatdrinks