Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Weis & Hickman / Dragonlance fans' news / discussion thread [spoilers]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Weis & Hickman / Dragonlance fans' news / discussion thread [spoilers]

Old 12-01-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I always thought the Legends trilogy was far superior. The first trilogy, while I enjoyed it, always felt like a bunch of D&D campaigns strung together, and the ending pissed me off. But Legends was a very gratifying read, if you're willing to give it a shot.
Old 12-27-05, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Wow, I totally forgot I had asked about these books a few years back. Last summer I picked up the first Dragonlance trilogy (Autumn, Winter, Spring) and just finished the last book. While it certainly picked up in the second book, I'm still pretty unsatisfied. I just didn't feel it I guess. I suppose one of the things is why did
Spoiler:
Kitiara turn? I understood Raistlin being corrupted by the dark magics, but I never got an explanation for Kitiara going bad

I imagine I'll be posting these on half.com pretty soon unless someone can recommend further books in the series that really pick up.

thanks

added: also, I think some of it is because the titles mention dragons, but there just didn't seem to be enough of them for me. I guess I was expecting Pern levels of dragons.
Give Legends a shot. I consider Chronicles as subpar, just like I consider Salvatore's Icewind Dale as subpar (both first attempts of a sort). Chronicles is the necessary pre-reading to read the Twins trilogy (Legends).

Legends is worth reading. Much more Raistlin/Caramon focused, and much more character driven. Chronicles has a tendency to fall into a strong sterotypical-D&D-module type feeling - this almost completely disappears in Legends.
Old 12-27-05, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Give Legends a shot. I consider Chronicles as subpar, just like I consider Salvatore's Icewind Dale as subpar (both first attempts of a sort). Chronicles is the necessary pre-reading to read the Twins trilogy (Legends).

Legends is worth reading. Much more Raistlin/Caramon focused, and much more character driven. Chronicles has a tendency to fall into a strong sterotypical-D&D-module type feeling - this almost completely disappears in Legends.
I would also suggest that you stop reading after Legends, it is all downhill from there.
Old 12-27-05, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by outer-edge
Well, the last book of the War of Souls is out and I am curious as to everyone's thoughts.
Liked these books as a teenager so I tried them again for nostalgia. Read the first two of the trilogy and thought they were okay. Juvenile and substandard writing, but I knew that going in, so I didn't let it bother me.

Had a real hard time taking the third one seriously, but this was partly my fault. In between the 2nd book and the 3rd, I was reading A Song of Ice and Fire. You just can't do that. The Dragonlance just suffers so badly by comparison, it sounds like it was written by an amateur and written for a 10-year-old.

They're good enough for their intended audience, and even for adults who know going in that they're getting a book written at a lower level. But if you're looking for original, inspired fantasy, they're definatly not the answer. Just as a quick derivative diversion.

That being said ... those fantasy fans who haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire need to get their butts in gear. Brilliantly crafted, plotted, and executed. If you're a Dragonlance fan and you think this is high-quality fantasy, do yourself a favor and read Martin. You'll thank me.
Old 07-11-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wasn't even aware of this 'til last Friday when I saw an ad for it in a magazine:

Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Lost Chronicles Vol.1)

FROM THE PUBLISHER
The Companions are back in the first volume that features an untold story from the War of the Lance. The beloved heroes return: Tanis, Raistlin and Caramon, Sturm Brightblade, Tasslehoff, and Flint Fireforge. Old friends, such as Riverwind and Goldmoon and Laurana travel with them. Old enemies are here too, as the companions encounter new adventures and new dangers in the very beginning months of the War of the Lance.

This book starts with the celebration of a wedding. The companions believe they have slain the evil Dragon Highlord Verminaard. They have rescued the refugees from Pax Tharkas and taken them to a valley in the Kharolis mountains.

After they are attacked by the Dragon Armies, Tanis and Flint are sent to search for the long lost dwarven kingdom of Thorbardin, hoping to persuade the dwarves to give the refugees shelter for winter.

Each of the other companions face their own trials. Raistlin remembers that, according to tales of old, the key to Thorbardin lies in the haunted fortress known as Skullcap. The others want nothing to do with this accursed place, but Raistlin feels strangely drawn to the ruins, and he persuades a reluctant Caramon to accompany him there.

Sturm becomes obsessed with finding the legendary Hammer of Kharas, and his obsession nearly plunges the party into disaster. Riverwind, now chieftain of his tribe, is made the reluctant leader of the refugees and worries that he is not suited for the task. Tika Waylan must decide if she has the courage to undertake a perilous journey to save those she loves from certain death, while Tanis Half-Elven wrestles with his faith in the newly returned gods.

It is the dwarf, FlintFireforge, who faces the most crucial test. As the heroes race against time to save the lives of the innocents dependent on them, Flint is forced to make a difficult choice, one on which the future of mankind may rest. And the only one he can depend on for help is the happy-go-lucky kender, Tasslehoff Burrfoot.

For a time, it seems they have found a safe haven in the dwarven kingdom, only to discover there is no safe place anywhere in this world, as the Queen of Darkness and her dragons set the land aflame.
Definitely picking it up after work.

I've read that book 2 will be called "Dragons of the Highlord Skies" dealing with what happened in Ice Wall. I believe that's somewhere in the middle of Winter Night between book 1 and 2. Then the 3rd one is "Dragons of the Hourglass Mage". Now that is a fucking cool title for a book if I ever heard one. Deals with what happened to Raistlin from the time he disappeared in the Blood Sea to his re-appearance in the temple at Neraka.

Last edited by Kal-El; 07-11-06 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Wasn't even aware of this 'til last Friday when I saw an ad for it in a magazine:

Dragons of the Dwarven Depths (Lost Chronicles Vol.1)

Definitely picking it up after work.

I've read that book 2 will be called "Dragons of the Highlord Skies" dealing with what happened in Ice Wall. I believe that's somewhere in the middle of Winter Night between book 1 and 2. Then the 3rd one is "Dragons of the Hourglass Mage". Now that is a fucking cool title for a book if I ever heard one. Deals with what happened to Raistlin from the time he disappeared in the Blood Sea to his re-appearance in the temple at Neraka.
I saw this in a magazine recently too. I looked for it today, but didn't see it. Will likely pick it up soon though for my wife and I both.
Old 07-13-06, 12:05 AM

Might grab it for my nephew. He's 12, so about the right age.

Sorry, cheap shot. But I'm actually serious.
Old 07-19-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've read Amber and Ashes, as well as Amber and Iron (book 2 of that trilogy)

I haven't been this taken with Fantasy writing in a LONG time. If you haven't read this trilogy, do yourself a huge favour and pick it up.
Old 07-23-06, 03:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone read anything outside of Hickman and Weis? They control the main events of the world, but there seems to be a ton of things going on as well with the Minotaurs with Knaack, the knights with Niles, and also the elves. Anything else worth picking up?
Old 07-23-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RonG617
Does anyone read anything outside of Hickman and Weis? They control the main events of the world, but there seems to be a ton of things going on as well with the Minotaurs with Knaack, the knights with Niles, and also the elves. Anything else worth picking up?
I read lots of them when I was younger. To be honest I generally find mainly Weis & Hickman's books worth reading these days, but if I recall, the Meeting Sextet books were pretty interesting. About how the different folks met up. I think I remember liking the Tanis/Flint book quite a bit, and the Kitiara/Tanis one wasn't half bad.

I picked up Dwarven Depths on Wednesday night. Finished it last night, it was pretty decent. Light and fluffy, like the original Chronicles, not nearly as good as the Twins books. Then again, being a book back in the middle of two Chronicles books, they didn't have a whole lot of room to change the characters/stories too much. I think Flint got the most characterization. Tika benefitted a bit for sure, as she was always kind of a flat character in Chronicles. Of course Raistlin and Tasslehoff are always the show-stealers.
Old 07-30-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Wow, I totally forgot I had asked about these books a few years back. Last summer I picked up the first Dragonlance trilogy (Autumn, Winter, Spring) and just finished the last book. While it certainly picked up in the second book, I'm still pretty unsatisfied. I just didn't feel it I guess. I suppose one of the things is why did
Spoiler:
Kitiara turn? I understood Raistlin being corrupted by the dark magics, but I never got an explanation for Kitiara going bad

I imagine I'll be posting these on half.com pretty soon unless someone can recommend further books in the series that really pick up.

thanks

added: also, I think some of it is because the titles mention dragons, but there just didn't seem to be enough of them for me. I guess I was expecting Pern levels of dragons.
it has been almost 20 years since I read the original books, but from what I remember she was always looking for something and the dragon army offered her the structure she needed. she never really turned, she was always like that. raistlin was always weak physically and turning to evil was a way for him to be stronger than everyone else
Old 08-27-06, 12:33 AM

Yes, there ARE annotated Legends:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...943914?ie=UTF8