Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Star Wars Novels: news, questions & discussion thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
So I just finished DW. What a great book. This is the way the whole series should have been. Fast paced and full of exposition.

Although after 14 books of a beat down on the New Republic it is a shame that they have to rush to finish the series. It is basically this book and the last one to tie it all up(being that they wanted you to be able to just read the HC to get the whole story, the paperbacks were just like bonus little adventures).
The book felt very rushed compared to the rest of the series, but it was a welcome change.

for example:
Spoiler:
Vergere finally opening up and revealing everything, totally unlike the character they have built up the first 14 books. Then by the end of the book EVERYONE has a solution to beat the Vong. It was good to see Ackbar's final(?) battle turned out the way it should.

Is it just me or does it seem like Kyp and Jaina have some potential chemistry? What is the age difference there?

Anyway, just started book 16.
Old 06-16-03, 07:32 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhh, like Robert Jordan's books, the new Jedi Order just goes on and on and on and on......

I totally lost interest. I think they were all downhill after the first one.
Old 06-16-03, 09:15 PM
Banned

Re: Star Wars: New Jedi Order series - good?

Originally posted by Michael Parks
Anybody read this series, and have any opinions on it? There's like 15 books, so far.

Could use some recommendations for Star Wars books, in general, too. Never read any, and I'd love to read some good ones. I tried browsing Amazon earlier, but there's well over a thousand entries, and I didn't know where to even begin.
Rogue Squadron and Young Jedi Knights will fill you in on some background, but nothing you can't figure out for yourself (I speak from experience there) :-)

As others have said, the necessary books to read first are:
All 5 Zahn books
Kevin Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy
The Correllian Trilogy

The New Rebellion is good, but not necessary. Most of the other books pre NJO are tedious.

New Jedi Order itself, however, is great. Especially Bob Salvatore's book that kicks it all off. The Jedi finally have someone that can and is beating the crap out of them. People are getting killed, and there's a sense of danger that has disrupted the status quo which has dominated the Star Wars universe for far too long.
Old 06-16-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
I think the way del rey envisioned the hardcovers sums it up best. You can enjoy the NJO series just by reading the hc novels. Some of the paperbacks are non-essential side quests and the like.
Old 06-20-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like what the others said, the Zahn books are excellent. They are some of my favorite books I have read personally. . .also Shadow of the Empire (which takes place in between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) is an excellent read, I go back to read it every 2 years or so, and it fails to disappoint. The Truce at Bakura (I think that's the title, been a while) is pretty good as well. The Rogue Squadron books are prett good, recommended as well. I've always stayed away from the New Jedi Order, just seems very un essential to the experience.
Old 06-21-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I like the New Jedi Order series, but I also think it is starting to drag....so I'm glad its coming to a close. I look forward to new books set in an earlier time period i.e. Tatooine Ghost, which I have, but have not yet read.

I also agree that the initial Zahn trilogy that started it all is one of the best. Check that out first.
Old 06-02-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star Wars Book... Where do I begin?

Looking to read some SW books. Wondering, where do I begin? What are considered the best ones to read, preferably with the same charectors from the OT or NT (New Trilogy). Thanks so much.
Old 06-02-05, 06:03 PM

Timothy Zhan's Heir to the Empire
Old 06-02-05, 06:27 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Timothy Zahn's trilogy, Kevin J. Anderson's first trilogy, Shadow of the Empire, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Splinter in the Mind's Eye, and then I would stop.
Old 06-03-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out the Star Wars literature forum over at theforce.net. It'll answer everything you need.

http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10003
Old 06-03-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd definately read Zahn's Trilogy: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. Those are the first EU books I ever read, and I blazed through them (luckily I didn't have to wait as Last Command had just come out in hardback at the time). These stories revolve around the characters from the OT and are pretty entertaining.
Old 06-03-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I'd definately read Zahn's Trilogy: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command.
Is this the correct order as well to read?
Old 06-03-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Yes.
Old 06-03-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Agreed on Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command

Best to stop there, but Shadows of the Empire is interesting to see what happened between TESB and ROTJ
Old 06-03-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't there another thread around here on Star Wars books?
Old 06-03-05, 11:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by James W. Powell
Isn't there another thread around here on Star Wars books?
Old 02-14-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
*blows dust off*

I had read the Thrawn trilogy around the holidays and it was pretty good.

I just finished reading Zahn's new book Allegiance. It was really good. Anyone read it or have any questions about it?

Any good new books to try out?
Old 02-18-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Alleigiance was pretty good. So was Death Star. Sure, these books are by the numbers, but they're good diversions. I've been buying the new series of books (Legacy of the Force, I think) but I won't dive in until they're all released.
Old 02-19-08, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
I thought Alleigiance was pretty good. So was Death Star. Sure, these books are by the numbers, but they're good diversions. I've been buying the new series of books (Legacy of the Force, I think) but I won't dive in until they're all released.
Its been hit or miss so far, but has more hits than misses. Legacy of the Force hasn't really disappointed in any one book. And there are definitely some parts where the author slugs you in the gut. I actually skipped ahead several chapters in a few of the books during some intense scenes, just to know what actually happened in those intense scenes. Hope I was vague enough on that.
Old 02-19-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
Its been hit or miss so far, but has more hits than misses. Legacy of the Force hasn't really disappointed in any one book. And there are definitely some parts where the author slugs you in the gut. I actually skipped ahead several chapters in a few of the books during some intense scenes, just to know what actually happened in those intense scenes. Hope I was vague enough on that.
That works.

I'm just finding that because I'm not so totally into the Star Wars EU, I'm not familiar with all the characters. Or rather, I don't remember them from one book to the next. With New Jedi Order and now Legacy, it's hard for me to keep everyone straight let alone know what alien species the person is.
Old 03-16-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't really have strong feelings about most of the EU books, aside from one. Do not,I repeat do not read Crystal Star. Horrible book. If you see it, run away for it will make you impotent and sterile.
Old 03-16-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by burnside986
I don't really have strong feelings about most of the EU books, aside from one. Do not,I repeat do not read Crystal Star. Horrible book. If you see it, run away for it will make you impotent and sterile.
I read that one years ago, but could not tell you what it was even about.

I got the last two Zahn books 2 Christmases ago and still have not read them.
Old 03-16-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm reading through Legacy of the Force. Only on Book 2, but enjoying it so far...
Old 03-17-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I read that one years ago, but could not tell you what it was even about.

I got the last two Zahn books 2 Christmases ago and still have not read them.

Im with ya there. Have those sitting on a shelf somewhere, still unread. Guess I just fell out of it.
Old 03-17-08, 05:50 PM

The EU is usually something I go back to when all other books I'm into have been read and reread. At some point in the past, I lived for the Star Wars books, save for The Crystal Star. I agree 100%, that book is Lord Foul's Bane bad. And much like Snowmaker, my mind has fortunately raised a protective barrier around my memories of that book to where I no longer recall anything in it. But I digress. Usually I wait til they finish the series up then read them, but I loved the NJO series for all the new characters that popped up and the ones that died. I had my Outlook calender set to remind me every month one of those was supposed to pop up. Other than that, the only books on the must read list for any Star Wars fan remains anything written by Zahn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.