Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One-and-only free "e-text" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Anybody else having trouble with these links? When I click on the 3 links for the books, another window pops up, but there's nothing in it.

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/prom.../free_shop.asp

Have you updated your PC version of MS Reader to the latest version? They updated it right before offering the free books to try and make sure everyone updated to the latest version. The book should download when that window pops up and then you can close it. It downloads and opens in MS Reader.

For anyone that doesn't now the story of these free books which started on July 4th, there is a program called convert lit that some crazed Linux user (okay I'm guessing Linux) created that can turn MS Reader encrypted books into standard HTML. To stop the program they updated MS Reader and offered three free books a week until November to entice people to upgrade (and probably promote MS Reader, but I like being a cynic). This of course backfired immediately when a day later they hacked the new version and convert lit works with it as well. So now Linux and Palm OS users are enjoying free Microsoft ebooks all summer on devices that are not supposed to be able to read them.
Old 09-09-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I have the latest version of MS Reader installed and activated.

Old 09-09-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have the latest version of MS Reader installed and activated.

I'm not sure. I just checked it now and the books are downloading to my PC. I've heard of people having trouble downloading the books before, but never what causes it.
Old 09-09-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody want to do me a HUGE favor and email me the e-books from the MS Reader website? I have an updated and activated version of MS Reader, but I still can't download the 3 books.

I assume nobody else is having this problem since I posed the question earlier. If anybody has any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this, I'd appreciate it. I've already gone through the FAQ, but no help there. I really want to avoid calling the tech support, but I think I may have to.

My email is: [email protected].

Thanks!

Old 09-10-03, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
immortal_zeus : YGM
Old 09-10-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent you them as well in DRM1 so they should work fine.

If next weeks books give you the same problem let me know.
Old 09-10-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks jhko and darkside!

The ones sent by jhko didn't work because I think they were tied to her account. That doesn't take anything away from the kind gesture, though.

But darkside, the ones you sent worked. What is DRM1? I'm new to e-books (and actually, even reading as a hobby), so I'm always wanting to learn more. Thanks for the books.

I had sent an email to their support (it turned out I sent it to the wrong support because I sent it to the newsletter support ), but the support guy emailed me back and said that there are known issues with Norton's Firewall (which I use). So I turned off my firewall and I was able to download the books.

So if any of you are having trouble downloading and having NIS, just disable it and you should be able to download.

Old 09-10-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But darkside, the ones you sent worked. What is DRM1? I'm new to e-books (and actually, even reading as a hobby), so I'm always wanting to learn more. Thanks for the books.

DRM1 means they are not tied to any account and will work on your MS Reader.
Old 09-11-03, 10:33 AM

immortal_zeus Sorry that the books I sent didn't work. I've only used Microsoft Reader once before so I didn't know that books are tied to an account. (I do more reading on my Visor instead of on the computer.) Glad to hear that you found out what the problem was and you can download the books now.
Old 09-12-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This weeks free MS books are pretty good including the classic Slaughter-House Five.

Fatal Tide
by Iris Johansen
from Bantam Books

A high-stakes treasure hunt… A twisted trail of murder… A secret one woman may die to discover… #1 New York Times best-selling author Iris Johansen last electrified readers with Dead Aim and No One to Trust. Now she offers a new pulse-pounding thriller that takes suspense writing to an all-new level: deep below the surface, where a ruthless killer strikes without warning, without mercy... and with the deadliest intent. Melis Nemid is treading in dangerous waters—and she’s about to be dragged under. As a marine researcher, Melis knows all too well the dangers that can lurk under even the calmest surfaces. But not even she can guess how deep the darkness runs. Only one oceanographer ever came close to discovering the deadly mystery that lies beneath the sea—and he seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. Now Melis is the last one who knows the truth. And someone is determined that the truth will die with her. For what Melis knows about the deep-sea mystery is only part of a nightmarish past torn by violence. She thought she had put that past behind her when she arrived at her Caribbean island home to research dolphin behavior.

Slaughterhouse-Five
by Kurt Vonnegut
from Rosetta Books

Unstuck in time, the hero of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five—an unforgettable Everyman named Billy Pilgrim—is never sure what part of his life he is going to have to act in next. Vonnegut's wildly imaginative, witty and affecting novel tells Billy Pilgrim's story in just that fashion. It spins back and forth through time, layering in the elements of Billy's life, which begins, chronologically, in 1922 in the upstate New York town of Ilium, and ends over 50 years later, when he is a successful middle-class optometrist with a wife and two grown children. Like Vonnegut himself, Billy was a World War II draftee and a prisoner of war in Dresden when the Allies firebombed the city early in 1945. Its indelible ironic tone, its trippy plotting and its bold, even hilarious use of science fiction make it an utterly unique reading experience. Slaughterhouse-Five remains perhaps the signature work in Vonnegut's large and varied catalogue of writings. In reviewing the novel for Life magazine, the critic Wilfrid Sheed called it splendid art ... a funny book at which you are not permitted to laugh, a sad book without tears.

One Nation Under Goods
by James J. Farrell
from Smithsonian Books

Loved and hated, visited and avoided, seemingly everywhere yet endlessly the same, malls occupy a special place in American life. What, then, is this invention that evokes such strong and contradictory emotions in Americans? In many ways malls represent the apotheosis of American consumerism, and this synthetic and wide-ranging investigation is an eye-popping tour of American culture’s values and beliefs. Like your favorite mall, One Nation under Goods is a browser’s paradise; and in order to understand America’s culture of consumption you need to make a trip to the mall with Farrell. This lively, fast-paced history of the hidden secrets of the shopping mall explains how retail designers make shopping and goods “irresistible.” Architects, chain stores, and mall owners relax and beguile us into shopping through water fountains, ficus trees, mirrors, and covert security cameras. From food courts and fountains to Santa and security, Farrell explains how malls control their patrons and convince us that shopping is always an enjoyable activity. And most importantly, One Nation under Goods shows why the mall’s ultimate promise of happiness through consumption is largely an illusion. It’s all here—for one low price, of course.
Old 09-19-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This week's free MS Reader books (free until 9/26/03 noon ET):

Make Yourself a Millionaire
by Charles C. Zhang with Lynn L. Chen-Zhang
from McGraw-Hill

Charles Zhang, American Express’s #1-rated financial adviser, became one of today’s most nationally known and trusted financial advisers by stressing sanity and sensible investing over dubious, get-rich-quick tricks and schemes. In Make Yourself a Millionaire, Zhang transfers his program to eBook form. Far from a confusing, all-or-nothing approach, this eBook outlines a clear and rational approach to organizing and planning all aspects of a financial life. How do different investments work? How much insurance is too much? Zhang answers these questions and more as he discusses recommended investments for virtually any portfolio, asset allocation techniques that work, actual examples of success and disaster, the role of insurance as a key element in a portfolio and all major financial instruments like stocks, bonds, funds, REITs and cash.

Shoeless Joe
by W. P. Kinsella
from Rosetta Books

Ray Kinsella, sitting on the porch of his Iowa farm one evening, hears the voice of a ghostly baseball announcer. It speaks to him the famous line, "If you build it, he will come." Needing no further explanation, Kinsella visualizes the ball field he is being asked to create in the middle of his field of corn. The voice will speak only two more things to Ray: "Ease his pain," and "Go the distance," and yet the dreaming, idealistic man knows just what it is he has to do. Digging up his corn to build a ballpark will inspire the return of baseball legend Shoeless Joe Jackson, a man whose reputation was forever tarnished by the scandalous 1919 World Series. Thus begins Shoeless Joe, the award-winning novel by W.P. Kinsella, which also inspired Kevin Costner's exceedingly popular film, Field of Dreams. W.P. Kinsella has been called a great writer of baseball novels, but this is misleading. While his works all evince a love for the game he grew up watching, Kinsella doesn't merely treat baseball as a subject in itself. Rather, he uses it as a metaphor, a way to talk about things like innocence, belief and, perhaps above all, America.

Paingod and Other Delusions
by Harlan Ellison
from eReads.com

Robert Heinlein says, “This book is raw corn liquor – you should serve a whiskbroom with each shot so the customer can brush the sawdust off after he gets up from the floor.” Perhaps a mooring cable might also be added as necessary equipment for reading these eight wonderful stories: They not only knock you down…they raise you to the stars. Passion is the keynote as you encounter the Harlequin and his nemesis, the dreaded Tictockman, in one of the most reprinted and widely taught stories in the English language; a pyretic who creates fire merely by willing it; the last surgeon in a world of robot physicians; a spaceship filled with hideous mutants rejected by the world that gave them birth. These are touching, gentle and shocking stories from an incomparable master of impossible dreams and troubling truths. In a career spanning more than 40 years, Harlan Ellison has won more awards for his 74 written or edited books, the more than 1700 stories, essays, articles, and newspaper columns, the two dozen teleplays and a dozen created motion pictures, than any other living fantasist.

Old 09-29-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing too exciting, but these are free until Friday. Actually the Silverberg short stories are pretty good. http://www.microsoft.com/reader/prom.../free_shop.asp

Brunelleschi's Dome, How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture
by Ross King
from Walker Books

Even today, in an age of soaring skyscrapers, the cathedral dome of Santa Maria del Fiore retains a rare power to astonish. Ross King presents a chronicle of life in fifteenth-century Florence, where a 41 year old goldsmith and clock maker named Filippo Brunelleschi, would dedicate 28 years to solving the greatest engineering puzzle of the Renaissance and creating one of the world’s architectural marvels. Brunelleshi’s Dome still remains the largest dome (143 feet in diameter) in the world. Awarded the Top Adult NonFiction BookSense Book of the Year 2001.

Never Say Never
by Phyllis George
from McGraw-Hill

With a career spanning three decades and transitioning seamlessly between the fields of sports, entertainment, and politics, Phyllis George has lived a lifetime of risk taking, pioneering, and success. Now, in Never Say Never, she shares 10 essential lessons she has learned from her vast and varied experience, from Miss America in 1971 to the first woman co-anchor of the national football pregame show “NFL Today,” to first lady of Kentucky, actress, entrepreneur, and award-winning humanitarian and businesswoman. This courageous small-town girl lost the Miss Texas pageant but came back, tried again, and won, later winning the national title. She went on to pave the way in the overwhelmingly male world of sports casting. These are but two of the triumphs—and trials—George reveals in this dynamic book. With her powerful combination of positivity and hard-earned wisdom, George motivates and inspires you to believe you can do almost anything. In addition to George’s personal accounts, here you will also find inspirational stories from high-profile personalities such as Walter Cronkite, Larry King, Roger Staubach, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Paula Zahn, and many more. Engaging, intimate, and filled with invaluable lessons, this powerful book will help you believe in yourself—and take on your greatest challenges.

Robert Silverberg Short Stories, Vol. 2
by Robert Silverberg
from Fictionwise

Few people would argue with the proposition that Robert Silverberg stands among the greatest science fiction writers of the twentieth (and now twenty-first) century. His career spans over forty years, and continues in full force today. Indeed, many critics feel Silverberg's recent work is among the most compelling of his entire career. This collection presents a sample of Robert Silverberg's short works. They span many different segments of his career, and include some of his most acclaimed stories, such as the Nebula Award winning and Hugo nominated story "Passengers," the Nebula Award winning "Sailing to Byzantium," and the Nebula Award nominated "Pope of the Chimps." Four more excellent short works, spanning from 1957 to 1995, round out this diverse collection. The stories follow Silverberg's progression from a promising young writer in the 1950s to a clear master of the form in the 60s, to his ascension through the 70s and 80s, to a towering figure in the field of science fiction in the 90s and today.

Last edited by darkside; 09-29-03 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-08-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are there any books from MSReader this week? I didn't get an email reminder and I don't remember what the link is to look it up myself.

Old 10-08-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They were late this week. I think Microsoft is working hard to try and defeat the Convert Lit program. You will have to register your MS Reader again before openning any of the new books. They are doing this to try and stop the Convert Lit program and they are failing badly.

They came out yesterday and the link is always http://www.microsoft.com/reader/prom.../free_shop.asp

Blindfold
by Kevin J. Anderson
from Fictionwise

Kevin J. Anderson, the co-author of the Dune prequels--including the current bestseller Dune: The Machine Crusade--submitted this novel to the Frank Herbert estate in hopes of convincing them that he could write for the Dune universe. In this brilliant science fiction novel, Atlas is a struggling colony on an untamable world, a fragile society held together by the Truthsayers. Parentless, trained from birth as the sole users of Veritas, a telepathy virus that lets them read the souls of the guilty, Truthsayers are Justice, Infallible, and Beyond appeal. Falsely accused of murder, Troy Boren trusts the young Truthsayer Kalliana ... until, impossibly, she convicts him. Still shaken from a previous reading, Kalliana doesn't realize her power is fading. But soon the evidence becomes impossible to ignore. The Truthsayers' Veritas has been diluted and someone in the colony is selling smuggled telepathy. Justice isn't blind--it's been blinded. From an immortal's orbital prison to the buried secrets of a regal fortress, Kalliana and Troy seek the conspiracy that threatens to destroy their world from within.

An American Tragedy
by Theodore Dreiser
from RosettaBooks

Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy (1925) is nothing less than what it purports to be -- the harrowing story of a weak-willed young man who destroys himself, a villain who is also victim of the values of a deceptive, materialistic society. Dreiser patterned the story of Clyde Griffiths on a real-life murder that took place in 1906, a charming young social climber who killed his pregnant young girlfriend in order to romance a rich girl who had begun to notice him. A powerful murder story, An American Tragedy is much more than that. For Dreiser pours his own dark yearnings into the character of Clyde Griffiths, while grimly charting the young man's pitiful rise and fall as he pursues empty ambitions to wealth, power and satisfaction. The Indiana-born novelist Theodore Dreiser (1871-1945) has never been a dashing or romantic figure in American literature, and he has no Pulitzer or Nobel Prize to signal his importance. His big, rugged novels were shocking in their day -- unapologetic in their sexual candor, antagonistic to the norms of conventional morality and organized religion, often banned or suppressed -- and challenging still to readers. Yet the brooding force of his writing casts a deep shadow across modern American letters. At his best, in An American Tragedy, Dreiser examines the flip side of The American Dream in a gathering storm of a story that develops with a power echoing Dostoevsky in Crime and Punishment. Inspired by the novels of Balzac and the ideas of Spenser and Freud, Dreiser became one of America's greatest naturalist writers, and An American Tragedy retains its rocky intensity and its devastating view of American longing almost a century later.

Death Watch
by Elizabeth Forrest
from Alexandria Digital Literature

DEATH WATCH is the book that launched Elizabeth Forrest into national best-selling fame! Its review in Mystery Scene claimed it to be "a dark and dazzling suspense novel that does something brand new with the theme of serial killers and virtual reality. Forrest's style is cool, poised and always ready to pounce." Also the author of PHOENIX FIRE and DARK TIDE, Forrest uses this praised pulse-pounding thriller to tell the story of McKenzie Smith, an innocent young woman who gets caught up in a whirlwind of terror involving a ruthless serial killer and a brilliant, obsessed psychiatrist who uses virtual reality to transform the fragile personalities of her vulnerable patients. Forrest's suspense eBook novel, DEATH WATCH is a literary landmark blending elements from three very different genres to create something new, dynamic, and exceedingly evocative.
Old 10-08-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the link darkside. Interestingly, the link is totally invisible to me. I had to click on the to see what the link was. By doing the same thing, I also noticed that you included the link in your 8/30/03 post . Weird that the link doesn't show up for me. Maybe because it's in "url" tags?

Old 10-19-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This weeks free books include one from Peter Straub.
Free MS Reader Books
lost boy lost girl
by Peter Straub
from Random House

A woman commits suicide for no apparent reason. A week later, her son—beautiful, troubled fifteen-year-old Mark Underhill—vanishes from the face of the earth. To his uncle, horror novelist Timothy Underhill, Mark’s inexplicable absence feels like a second death. After his sister-in-law’s funeral, Tim searches his hometown of Millhaven for clues that might help him unravel this mystery of death and disappearance. He soon learns that a pedophilic murderer is on the loose in the vicinity, and that shortly before his mother’s suicide, Mark had become obsessed with an abandoned house where he imagined the killer might have taken refuge. No mere empty building, the house on Michigan Street whispers from attic to basement with the echoes of a long-hidden true-life horror story, and Tim Underhill comes to fear that in investigating its unspeakable history, Mark stumbled across its last and greatest secret: a ghostly lost girl who may have coaxed the needy, suggestible boy into her mysterious domain. With lost boy lost girl, Peter Straub affirms once again that he is the master of literary horror.

The Vor Game
by Lois McMaster Bujold
from Fictionwise

Miles Vorkosigan graduates from the Barrayaran Military Academy with high expectations of ship command, but is disappointed with an assignment as meteorologist to Lazkowski Base, an arctic training camp. His tenure in the windy, snow-covered north is cut short when Miles narrowly averts a massacre between the trigger-happy base commander and mutinous recruits. After a brief stay under 'house arrest', Miles is re-assigned to investigate a suspicious military build-up near a wormhole nexus. Reviving his undercover persona as mercenary Admiral Miles Naismith, his routine information-gathering duty expands to a rescue mission when the Emperor of Barrayar disappears during a political conference on a nearby space station. Miles must use his considerable negotiating skills to avoid a showdown between competing powers for control of the wormhole, find the Emperor... and watch his back for the arctic base commander seeking bloody vengeance.

The Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
by Dan Poynter
from Alexandria Digital Literature

The Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book shows the potential writer how to speed write a book; copyright it; bypass publishers; set up a book publishing company; promote books with book reviews, book signings, feature articles and radio/TV interviews; get a book into bookstores, specialty stores, catalogs and on the Web; and make spin-offs of a book. Nearly every one wants to write a book. Most people have the ability, some have the drive, but few have the organization. Therefore, the greatest need is for a simple system, a road map. The basic plan in this book will not only provide you with direction, it will promote the needed drive and expose abilities you never thought existed. Dan Poynter reveals to you the secrets of his own successful writing, production and promotion

Last edited by darkside; 10-19-03 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having problems downloading the books again. I re-activated my MS Reader and everything, but still no luck. Anybody else having this problem or is it just me again?

Old 10-20-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got them with no problems. When I get a chance I will email them to you. I had trouble with the books two weeks ago and had to get them with another computer. I have no idea what causes this to happen.
Old 10-20-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
I got them with no problems. When I get a chance I will email them to you. I had trouble with the books two weeks ago and had to get them with another computer. I have no idea what causes this to happen.
Thanks darkside.

Old 10-24-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This weeks free books

Balance of Power
by Richard North Patterson
from Ballantine Books

President Kerry Kilcannon and his fiancée, television journalist Lara Costello, have at last decided to marry. But their wedding is followed by a massacre of innocents in a lethal burst of gunfire, challenging their marriage and his presidency in ways so shattering and indelibly personal that Kilcannon vows to eradicate gun violence and crush the most powerful lobby in Washington–the Sons of the Second Amendment (SSA). Allied with the President’s most determined rival, the resourceful and relentless Senate Majority Leader Frank Fasano, the SSA declares all-out war on Kerry Kilcannon, deploying its arsenal of money, intimidation, and secret dealings to eviscerate Kilcannon’s crusade–and, it hopes, destroy his presidency. This ignites a high-stakes game of politics and legal maneuvering in the Senate, the courtroom, and across the country, which the charismatic but untested young President is determined to win at any cost. But in the incendiary clash over gun violence and gun rights, the cost to both Kilcannons may be even higher than imagined.

How to Find Hidden Real Estate Bargains
by Robert Irwin
from McGraw-Hill

Robert Irwin has been one of the nation’s top real estate authors for more than 20 years. His 1991 bestseller, How to Find Real Estate Bargains, continues to be one of the most popular guides to finding real estate bargains and buying them at rock-bottom prices. Thoroughly updated and revised, this new edition is for reader in the market for a bargain home for himself or herself or as an investment for resale profit. Irwin fills readers in on everything they need to know to quickly decide if a property’s potential payoff outweighs its risks. With nearly 50 percent all-new material, the second edition features new chapters on: All types of repos, including HUD, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, FDIC, GSA, and SBA; Property tax, ATF and IRS, probate, bare land, and Recreational property sales; Finding bargain properties in strong markets by working directly with sellers and Using the Web to find the hottest bargains.

The Gathering Storm
by Winston Churchill
from RosettaBooks

The Gathering Storm is the first volume of The Second World War and in some ways a continuation of The World Crisis, Churchill's history of World War I. The Gathering Storm is his attempt to come to grips with the terrible circumstances that gave rise to Nazi Germany and a second, even more destructive world conflict. As he notes in his preface, Churchill was perhaps the only person who held such prominent positions of power in both world wars, so he is remarkably well-qualified to tell the tragic story of war to peace to war. The Gathering Storm considers the stipulations and consequences of the Treaty of Versailles, the rise of Adolf Hitler, the capitulation at Munich and the entry of the British into the war. This is the first volume of his Noble-Prize winning six-part chronicle of World War II. The volume is pervaded by Churchill’s somber feeling that the Second World War was largely a senseless and avoidable conflict, but it sets the stage for the heroism and glory that are to follow. Churchill won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1953 due in no small part to this awe-inspiring work.
Old 10-25-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was actually able to download this week's books.

Old 10-30-03, 01:16 PM

Location: The kackles of your heart, maybe the sub-kackle area
http://www.screenwriterstore.co.uk/i...af?_P=DOW10043

If there is any interest this site has free screenplays by e-mail. I'm an aspiring screen writer so I love this site.
Old 11-12-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to post this weeks books. They will be gone on Friday.
Its worth checking out this weeks free books because it includes Bill Byrson's excellent book A Walk in the Woods.

A Walk in the Woods
by Bill Bryson
from RosettaBooks

Bill Bryson decided in 1996 to walk the 2,100-mile Appalachian Trail. Winding from Georgia to Maine, this uninterrupted "hiker's highway" sweeps through the heart of some of America's most beautiful and treacherous terrain. Bryson risked snakebite and hantavirus to trudge up unforgiving mountains, plod through swollen rivers, and yearn for cream sodas and hot showers. This amusingly ill-conceived adventure brings Bryson to the height of his comic powers, but his acute eye also observes an astonishing landscape of silent forests, sparkling lakes, and other national treasures that are often ignored or endangered. The Lost Continent, Bill Bryson's hilarious first travel book, chronicled a trip in his mother's Chevy around small-town America. Born in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1951, he lived in England for almost two decades. He now lives in Hanover, New Hampshire, with his wife and four children. His other notable bestsellers are I'm A Stranger Here Myself, In a Sunburned Country and, most recently, A Short History of Nearly Everything. A Walk in the Woods is a laugh-out-loud account of an outrageously rugged hike by a beloved comic author.

The Company
by Robert Littell
from Overlook Press

The Company, the magnum opus of acclaimed espionage novelist Robert Littell is a mesmerizing, dazzlingly plotted epic that tells the life and death struggle of two generations of CIA operatives during a long Cold War. Littell's book spans nearly fifty years of postwar espionage, offering perspectives on excursions as varied as the Rosenberg trial, the Bay of Pigs invasion, the alleged 'assassination' of Pope John Paul I in 1978 and the great winding down of perestroika. “A gold mine for true conspiracy theorists Robert Littell's The Company reads like a breeze and is guaranteed to suck you right back into the Alice-in-Wonderland world of spy vs. spy.” Former Newseek journalist Robert Littell is the bestselling author of thirteen novels, published in twelve languages around the world. The New York Times bestseller, The Company, is his most recent.

Savage Night
by Jim Thompson
from ereads.com

First class criminal Carl Bigelow has a difficult job ahead of him. How can he kill one-time hoodlum Jake Winroy without making it look like a hit? The man is about to turn evidence in to the authorities, threatening to bring the law down on the powerful crime syndicate that runs the city. Allowing Jake Winroy to live could be very bad for the career of Carl's boss, not to mention several prominent but corrupt Long Island politicians. Luckily for Carl, Winroy's beautiful wife is bored with his drunken behavior and anxious to become a widow. It seems that she could easily be implicated in the plot by her eagerness to take up with Carl, the handsome young hoodlum. Jim Thompson was born in 1906 in Anadarko, Oklahoma. He sold his first story to the True Detective at the age of fourteen and went on to write twenty-nine novels, dozens of short stories and two screenplays.
Old 11-12-03, 04:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
thanks for the update darkside!
Old 11-14-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the last week for free ebooks from Microsoft. Its The Americans series from Daniel J Boorstin and I believe its a very good series of books. These are available until the 21st. The link for these books and other sales on Ebooks is available here http://msreadernews.com/

The Americans: The Colonial Experience
by Daniel J. Boorstin
from RosettaBooks

In this first installment of his groundbreaking trilogy, The Americans, Daniel Boorstin explores the foundations of American institutions and the American psyche. A history not of famous men, wars and negotiations, but of ideas, cultural formations and the materials of everyday life, The Colonial Experience challenges us to think differently about history. It earned him the Bancroft Prize in 1959. The opening chapters of The Colonial Experience discuss the peculiar characteristics of some of the original colonists: the Puritans, the Quakers, the settlers of Georgia and Virginia. In Boorstin's account, the emigration to the new world produced a unique environment in which the traditions of the old were set in dynamic tension with the opportunities and uncertainties of life in a new world.

The Americans: The National Experience
by Daniel J. Boorstin
from RosettaBooks

Covering the period between the American Revolution and the Civil War, The Americans: The National Experience, the second volume of Daniel Boorstin's award-winning trilogy, examines the realities of everyday life for the early pioneers as well as for those living in the established population centers on the Atlantic coast. Daniel J. Boorstin’s second volume of the trilogy The American: The National Experience won the Francis Parkman Prize. He graduated from Harvard University with highest honors and received his doctorate from Yale University. He was the director of the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, and for twelve years served as the Librarian of Congress. In 1989, he received the National Book Award for lifetime contribution to literature. Boorstin lives with his wife and editor, Ruth F. Boorstin, in Washington, D.C.

The Americans: The Democratic Experience
by Daniel J. Boorstin
from RosettaBooks

The third installment of his popular and widely-respected trilogy, The Americans: The Democratic Experience examines the formation of a distinctively American character. Covering the period between the Civil War and the moon landing, the book discusses the realities of everyday life for the intrepid souls filling in the frontiers, for the emigrants coming from Ireland, Italy and elsewhere, and for those already living in the growing population centers on the Atlantic coast. Most interestingly, Boorstin convincingly relates those foundational experiences to the unique character of present-day American institutions and practices. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, The Americans: The Democratic Experience is essential reading for anyone who wishes to understand present-day American culture.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.