Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

So who here reads Stephen King's Dark Tower Series?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

So who here reads Stephen King's Dark Tower Series?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know not all King fans read this series because it is far from his normal material. But of everyone I know that has read it, it is their favorite of all his books, as it is with me.

Anyone else dying for book 5?
Old 04-25-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Count me in as another fan of this series and like you, I'm anxiously awaiting the next book.
Old 04-25-01, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this fear that something will go wrong before he ever finishes this series Like when that van hit him...(don't get me wrong I don't want anything to happen to him as a person either, but I must be allowed to finish the Dark Tower series.
Old 04-25-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Arkonne
I have this fear that something will go wrong before he ever finishes this series Like when that van hit him...(don't get me wrong I don't want anything to happen to him as a person either, but I must be allowed to finish the Dark Tower series.
That's funny cause I thought the same thing when he got hit..."he better not die before the Roland reaches the tower!!!"
Old 04-25-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Dr. Dean
Originally posted by Arkonne
That's funny cause I thought the same thing when he got hit..."he better not die before the Roland reaches the tower!!!"
You 2 aren't the only ones. . The only thing that sucks is everytime I hear he is coming out with a new one, I have to read all of the previous books to refresh my memory. This is really going to suck if it goes on for say 10 novels or so.

-Steve
Old 04-26-01, 09:43 AM

I love the series, I just hope Stephen King can stay out of traffic until he finishes.
Old 04-26-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have read interviews with him that say there are only 2 or 3 more in the series. He is working on Book 5 now and that will hopefully be out early next year.
Old 04-26-01, 12:43 PM

I love the Dark Tower series. If you do, too, go read what http://www.stephenking.com has to say about Black House, the sequel to the Talisman. It heavily connects to Hearts in Atlantis, apparently, and therefore, to the Dark Tower Mythos.
I'm not sure which page it's under there, but look around, possibly under news.
Old 04-27-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just looked into it and he has moved book V (tentatively entitled The Crawling Shadow to FALL 2003!!!

I just can't wait two more years!!! This is tooooo long!
Old 04-27-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I've read the four books that are out anywhere from 4-6 times .... I forget exactly. I remember being oblivious to release dates, and then all of a sudden, I coincidentally walk into a book store the day that "Wizard and Glass" comes out. That made my day .....
Old 04-27-01, 04:45 PM

I love the dark tower books
cant wait for the 5th
Old 04-27-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great Series, But I need more!!
Old 04-30-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question: How long does it take for the Dark Tower series to get interesting? I've been a fan of King's more typical horror novels for quite some time. And I have friends that are total King fanatics that point to the Dark Tower series as their absolute favorite works by the man.

But I've tried - god I've tried - to get through that first book in the Dark Tower series "The Gunslinger". And I just can't do it. All the interviews I've read with King concerning this series state that this first book was written while he was a writing student in college (or high school, I can't remember which). And boy, does it read like it did. "Tedious" and "plain" are the adjectives that come immediately to mind.

How far into the series do you have to "slog" before the magic kicks in?
Old 04-30-01, 12:19 PM

The first book was originally published in several segments through magazines, giving it a disjointed feel. Also, I don't think King really had the whole story planned out until the last couple of segments. I've tried to hook a friend of mine onto the series, and he could'nt get past the first book. All I can say is that the series gets addictive about 30 pages into Book 2, IMHO.
Old 04-30-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Question: How long does it take for the Dark Tower series to get interesting? I've been a fan of King's more typical horror novels for quite some time. And I have friends that are total King fanatics that point to the Dark Tower series as their absolute favorite works by the man.

But I've tried - god I've tried - to get through that first book in the Dark Tower series "The Gunslinger". And I just can't do it. All the interviews I've read with King concerning this series state that this first book was written while he was a writing student in college (or high school, I can't remember which). And boy, does it read like it did. "Tedious" and "plain" are the adjectives that come immediately to mind.

I have to agree with you that The Gunslinger is very tedious. It does get much better in the second and third books. I have to admit, however, that I did not find the fourth enthralling.

I have first trade editions of each and am on the Donald M. Grant list mailing list so I can get them as they come out. Only the first is worth very much though and that went way down in value when it was published in paperback. There are signed, numbered editions that are worth more. They have a lottery for the privilege of buying those and I have never won.
Old 04-30-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Love the series. To tide yourself over, I heavily recommend going to your library and getting the unabridged audio tapes. King reads them all, and they are truly amazing.
Old 04-30-01, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
Love the series. To tide yourself over, I heavily recommend going to your library and getting the unabridged audio tapes. King reads them all, and they are truly amazing.
'cept the 4th one
Old 05-01-01, 09:53 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Count me in as a DARK TOWER disciple. I too was almost turned off to the series because of The Gunslinger. If you can get through its slow movement (it does lay important groundwork), what follows is truly amazing... I loved Wizards and Glass.

Old 05-01-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the nice hardcover set of the first three books. It has some awesome artwork....
Old 05-02-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do! I do! I have heard that the next book King is co-writing with Straub... is it The Talisman 2? Anyway, I hear that it is going to tie in heavily with the Dark Tower series. I think The Stand tied into it too with some of the characters seeming to overlap... there are a few other of his books which seem to have ties, but I don't remember any offhand.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-02-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those eagerly awaking more Dark Tower...He wrote a novella in a book called LEGENDS...It was "Little Sisters of Eluria" and it takes place just before the gunslinger.
Old 05-02-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Scheherazade
I do! I do! I have heard that the next book King is co-writing with Straub... is it The Talisman 2? Anyway, I hear that it is going to tie in heavily with the Dark Tower series. I think The Stand tied into it too with some of the characters seeming to overlap... there are a few other of his books which seem to have ties, but I don't remember any offhand.

~Scheherazade

Almost all his books are either directly or indirectly tied in...The strongest ties are in Rose Madder, Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis (Low men in yellow Coats), The Stand (through Randell Flagg), and Eye of the Dragon.
Old 05-02-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grunter

The second book usually does the trick...then go back and read the first...It makes it much better, once you are in you'll love the first every time you re-read it (and you will!)
Old 05-02-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah yes, Eyes of the Dragon was the other that I felt tied in strongly with the Gunslinger series and The Stand. I'm going to need to go back and read them again it's been so long ago, but I'll be cracking open my copy of Dreamcatcher first. Unfortunately at the moment Harry Potter has me in his clutches... don't laugh, they're actually very good

~Scheherazade
Old 05-02-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll get flamed for this, but I still haven't gotten around to reading the fourth installment. I started to, but it came out around finals week in college and had to put it down and forgot about it. Come to think of it, I don't think I read the second one either... I better get to the library...