DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 07-30-17, 11:34 PM   #126
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale 2017!

Forgot about these two 20% off member coupons completely. If anyone can find use for them, that'd be great. Both expire tonight

4AMBEA6AK8ACK
P5KK6DV31EMCS
Old 07-31-17, 06:00 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
Agree,Criterion may put out some nice product.But no way are they worth $40 to most media buyers.They are over priced if B@N and Criterion.com both have A half off sale twice A year.And it kind of sucks not having A B@N close to my house.

I do own quiet A few Criterion's,but I hardly buy any more these days.
Limit funds.I have A bunch I still need to watch.I had three disc go bad.Sure they replaced them,but A gc to cover the shipping would have been nice.

Bought from Amazon
Woman of the Year and Two Lane Blacktop for $18 each.
Nothing from B@N this time.Plan to buy Ghost World down the road.
I collected Criterion titles during the various 50% sales until around 2011/2012 and then started slowing down my collecting of BDs. Unfortunately, like a dolt I sold all of the OOP titles I had as well as the extra cases Criterion sent me in the mail. Now I got to pay because I want them back!

I'm up to 65 titles during this sale.
Old 07-31-17, 06:36 PM   #128
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would laugh, but I did that a couple times with my Laserdisc way back. I had about 20 DTS discs and 30-40 Criterions that I sold thinking I was going to clear them out. Then I started dreaming about missing supplement tracks and the DTS Soundtracks that weren't surpassed until a couple years into Bluray. Ended up taking my LD collection from 300 down to 2200 at one point and now I think I'm back to around 500 (Criterion, DTS, Star Wars, Universal UCE, lots of Disney and SE Boxsets) I could never have afforded when they were brand new, btu when folks sold them off I picked up a lot at 80-90% discounts and quite a few for shipping only

Last edited by hariseldon; 07-31-17 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 06:48 PM   #129
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Criterion is one hell of a drug.
Old 08-04-17, 01:50 AM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Very strange but BN has EXTENDED the Criterion sale another week until 8/14. This is now posted on their website.
Old 08-04-17, 07:58 AM   #131
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Very strange but BN has EXTENDED the Criterion sale another week until 8/14. This is now posted on their website.
One day before "Hopscotch" finally gets released on blu. That's almost cruel.
Old 08-04-17, 08:47 AM   #132
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish View Post
One day before "Hopscotch" finally gets released on blu. That's almost cruel.
November's only 3 months away
Old 08-04-17, 10:02 AM   #133

Other option -- a in-store generated ship to home pre-order allows 50% off on all the Aug and Sept releases (Hopscotch, Rebecca, etc). The last report says the Oct titles are still full price, but anything out to Sept 26th is included in the sale.
Old 08-04-17, 10:34 AM   #134

..looking to pick up "barry Lyndon" but it doesn't come out until oct..
Old 08-04-17, 10:47 AM   #135

Barry Lyndon -- Oct 17 should be right around the Flash sale and only a 2-3 weeks before BN next sale so at least a couple options for it.

I haven't read anyone that's checked ship to home prices for the OCT releases since August started so it's possible they've changed, but I'm not expecting it.

The other hope is that the coupon exclusion won't be extended for the last week of the sale. The last couple 'bonus' periods that were added ended up confusing the original coupon blocks so there could be another window of opportunity for those.

Anyone who got in on the $10 Reward for $50 offer also should be getting their reward on Aug 9 and those expire in a week or so. The extension should actually allow using those during the 50% sale rather than having to scrounge for items or mess with a buy/return scenario
Old 08-07-17, 10:23 AM   #136
Sem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
I think, it could mean that the sale didn't meet expectations... due to coupon policy...
Old 08-07-17, 12:23 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing they had far more Criterion inventory left at the end of the sale this time with the drastic change in coupon policy.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-07-17, 12:29 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sem View Post
I think, it could mean that the sale didn't meet expectations... due to coupon policy...
They better get used to it if they are going to keep refusing most coupons. Better off just doing the sale at Criterion's site.
Old 08-09-17, 03:16 PM   #139

One poster over at Bluray said he was able to place a Ship to Home order with 3 Oct titles at 19.99.
I haven't seen a second confirmation, but it may be that BN updated those items in the last 24 hrs to allow them.

I also got my $20 Reward Code for the "$10 for Every $50 Spent" Offer from a couple weeks ago.
I took a chance and just did a $100 E-GC and it worked. It is a normal GC Code with Pin and I got a single $20 code -- still with an expiration of Aug 19 so maybe I'll try to order the October titles in a couple days. So basically it works out to approx 17% discounted $120 GC
Old 08-10-17, 09:00 PM   #140
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They must have sent out a blistering internal e-mail within the last week.

A few days ago, I was able to argue that the wording of my coupon (rejected by the website) was applicable and get the friendly phone support person to manually apply the discount for me. Today, three people told me in no uncertain terms (but with different emphases and arbitrary bonus conditions) that absolutely no coupons are eligible on top of 'Promotions' no matter the terms or wording or anything. (Also, teo of the three said specifically that no coupons are allowed on any item that is already discounted... which I queried, as all their prices are typically discounted. I think that was misleadingly-communicated information.)

Why send a coupon that can't be used on some items? But, accepting that there are reasons for that, the ineligibles should be heavily flagged on coupon AND website, not hidden or omitted.
Old 08-10-17, 09:40 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
They must have sent out a blistering internal e-mail within the last week.

A few days ago, I was able to argue that the wording of my coupon (rejected by the website) was applicable and get the friendly phone support person to manually apply the discount for me. Today, three people told me in no uncertain terms (but with different emphases and arbitrary bonus conditions) that absolutely no coupons are eligible on top of 'Promotions' no matter the terms or wording or anything. (Also, teo of the three said specifically that no coupons are allowed on any item that is already discounted... which I queried, as all their prices are typically discounted. I think that was misleadingly-communicated information.)

Why send a coupon that can't be used on some items? But, accepting that there are reasons for that, the ineligibles should be heavily flagged on coupon AND website, not hidden or omitted.
Today's coupons (the 15 and 20%) do explicitly state Criterion on their face along with Legos/Rosetta/Nook etc. The other coupons have a link to www site to BN exclusions which has Criterions listed (though it does mistakenly say Crit DVD). Like Lego, Rosetta, etc Criterion has apparently requested that there be a floor/limit on their price concerning what discounts are eligible.

Even then there is language that indicates the list isn't complete.

The no coupon on top of promotions is obviously wrong.
Old 08-11-17, 01:05 PM   #142

Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale 2017! NEXT ONE?

Any guesses as to next sale? Great Criterion box set of 100 Years of Olympic Films comes out early December. It costs a lot tho worth it. $400 list price.
I could afford it at 50% off!

Mark
Old 08-11-17, 02:59 PM   #143

Best guess Oct 31 through Nov 27.

The last 4 sales I think have ended on/end of Cybermonday.
They only started one sale in October though (hurricane Sandy), so it's possible they could start a week later. They've never ended a sale after Cybermonday, but with BF coming so early and Christmas Eve on a Sunday (so a whole weekend for shopping) I guess there is a chance they'd start 11/7 and go through the next week. That still leaves the boxset outside the window.

If the preorders work like they have this time that still leaves the possibility of ordering via a ship to home with 50% off though
Old 08-14-17, 02:08 PM   #144

Got an email yesterday saying the sale has been extended. Now I know it was previously announce through the 14th, but found it odd they sent another email noting this with only one day left remaining in the sale.

Does anyone know if it's been extended past the 14th?
Old 08-14-17, 02:27 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcon1 View Post
Got an email yesterday saying the sale has been extended. Now I know it was previously announce through the 14th, but found it odd they sent another email noting this with only one day left remaining in the sale.

Does anyone know if it's been extended past the 14th?
Nothing I've seen. It still says 8/14 on the website. I'd be beyond shocked if they go to a 6 week sale esp with the online stock apparently quite depleted now