DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 06-06-17, 02:49 PM   #1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

'Psycho' 5 film BD Collection (Region Free) - $37.xx shipped at JBHifi (Australia)

Region Free set - this is the lowest price its been with an additional 5% off valid only today (includes the original 'Psycho', 3 sequels, the 1998 remake and 3 DVDs)

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...ection/805835/

Item price: AUD 37.58 + Shipping: AUD 12 = AUD 49.58 which is approximately USD 37.23 (per google...this may vary slightly)

Have ordered from them before, takes a while to receive but no issues on delivery. Merchant accepts PayPal but shipping overseas is not combinable (you still pay per item for every additional item you add to cart)

EDIT: with today's PayPal rate, mine came to $38.52 shipped to SoCal

Perhaps another worthy item to add which isn't available elsewhere is this Region B 18 film Hammer Horror Collection (15 BD + 3 SD-DVD)
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...ection/806400/

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 06-06-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 04:28 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 'Psycho' 5 film BD Collection (Region Free) - $37.xx shipped at JBHifi (Australia

Wow. I completely don't remember there being a Psycho 4...
Old 06-06-17, 04:48 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 'Psycho' 5 film BD Collection (Region Free) - $37.xx shipped at JBHifi (Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Wow. I completely don't remember there being a Psycho 4...
i believe it was made for TV. There's a more recent Region A Shout Factory release. Reviewers say there's no bonus content on this set. Also notable for those that care is that these are VC-1 encoded
Old 06-07-17, 06:39 AM   #4
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
i believe it was made for TV. There's a more recent Region A Shout Factory release. Reviewers say there's no bonus content on this set. Also notable for those that care is that these are VC-1 encoded
When you say 'there's no bonus content on this set' are you referring to the whole set or just Psycho IV? Because according to everything I've seen the set is loaded with special features, including all of the ones from the US releases with the exception Psycho IV.
Old 06-07-17, 08:26 AM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltman View Post
When you say 'there's no bonus content on this set' are you referring to the whole set or just Psycho IV? Because according to everything I've seen the set is loaded with special features, including all of the ones from the US releases with the exception Psycho IV.
yes, Psycho 4 only. Sorry, if that wasn't clear
Old 06-07-17, 10:46 AM   #6
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are the DVDs PAL and region 2?
Old 06-07-17, 12:45 PM   #7
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
region free. Playable on all bd players irrespective of zone/region coding
Old 06-07-17, 01:19 PM   #8
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Sounds like laidbacklarkin may have this covered already

According to DVDCompare.net -- R0 and NTSC
http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=35151#1

Thread at Bluray also confirms and has a couple reviews and screenshot
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=267515

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-13-17 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 10:43 AM   #9

How the heck do you enter a US phone number to create an account at JB Hi Fi? It keeps coming up as invalid and won't let me proceed through to checkout.
Old 06-13-17, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice View Post
How the heck do you enter a US phone number to create an account at JB Hi Fi? It keeps coming up as invalid and won't let me proceed through to checkout.
I don't remember entering one (there's not one on my account details). Is it mandatory? If so, I'd enter JBHIFI's phone number initially (or a local Time/Weather) and remove it later if they won't accept the std 10 digit US number. I have normal phone number in my shipping address, but not in the account section.

If you click the Flag symbol on the left and change to the US does it not work? I just created a new account with a normal phone number and it worked OK

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-13-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-13-17, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
If you click the Flag symbol on the left and change to the US does it not work?
I feel so dumb. I didn't even pay attention to that. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 06-13-17, 01:15 PM   #12

For folks ordering from JB -- they have some odd quirks

$8AUS for one item isn't unreasonable at all. If you add multiples of the same item to your cart it appears you get a discount for extra items I'm assuming weight based. I'm not entirely sure why 3-6 of one item is handled differently than 3 different items

Add a different item though and at least for 5-6 items, it's $8ea which isn't very nice. In the past it was $8 for the first and then a couple dollars ea added item.

Their handling of GST (approx 10% AUS version of VAT) is also questionable and frustrating. Shipping to the US we shouldn't be paying their GST, but JBHiFI doesn't remove it at shipping though I've talked to CSR a couple times about it and they've told me there order systme can't remove it at order, but they'll refund it afterwards if you contact them. In the past I'm one for four in getting it refunded. My last contact with them I told them of my issues and told them I wouldn't order from them again unless that issue was fixed -- though I'm not entirely sure I can follow through with that. Some of the otehr AUS sites remove VAT in checkout, others don't and I'm not sure if they would refund it after orders or not.
Old 06-13-17, 01:39 PM   #13
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you, harieseldon, for that info. The same applies to various UK retailers as well that ship overseas. Zavvi, for e.g, does not remove VAT from the VAT inclusive pricing like Amazon Europe does (if order from and fufilled by Amazon). Is there a policy/process to seek a refund later that we should be aware of ? I'll look it up bit if anyone's already armed with this info, a share would be appreciated
Old 06-13-17, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Thank you, harieseldon, for that info. The same applies to various UK retailers as well that ship overseas. Zavvi, for e.g, does not remove VAT from the VAT inclusive pricing like Amazon Europe does (if order from and fufilled by Amazon). Is there a policy/process to seek a refund later that we should be aware of ? I'll look it up bit if anyone's already armed with this info, a share would be appreciated
JB CSR just said to email them with the request/info/order number and they would refund it. I think it's in the Help ro Contact Us section

I've tried that with limited success in the past however. A couple of the items I ordered were exclusives or substantially lower than anywhere else so I gave up and just figured I still got it for much less than an alternative retailer, but it didn't really sit well ESP after they mucked up the shipping - $6 per item limits the deals for me unless it's a large solo item. It's not quite as bad as NetworkonAir and their 40GBP per order shipping once you pass a certain weight, but it's still a bit irritating.