Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray -- December 18 through end of December 24, 2018

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Print Wikipost

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray -- December 18 through end of December 24, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray December 18, 2018 through end of December 24, 2018
NOTE that most BN close at 6pm local time on Christmas Eve

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray usually excludes Disney/Marvel/Lucas and sometimes Criterion. Online items are minimal right now, but overnight they'll fill in

Each of the last 3-4 sales have had slightly different rules and things aren't clear yet. I'll update as things are determined

General Rules
Coupons in the WIKI

1) Should include all Blu-rays in-store except the excluded categories
Movies and TV Sets are usually included. Some 4KUHD have been eligible.
Most Music items including a LP or CD with Blu-ray are classified as Music and aren't normally included.
Items ordered for ship-to-home from the store computer are generally considered the same as 'In-store' purchase and allow Store Member discount and store coupons.
There are a few studios and items classified as Web Only which function as 3rd Party and aren't included though there aren't many in this group.
Even with the general 40% sale, there are items in the $9.99 sections that are more than 40% already and usually a small group of items that sometimes are 50-60% off especially on Holiday weekends.

2) Online -- usually about 2/3 of items have generally been included in past sale
Some studios like Warner Archives are rarely discounted online and virtually never carried in-store, but have been discounted for the store generated ship to home orders.
Newer release items often are excluded online.

3) 10% Member discount applies in-store and ship-to-home orders

4) Coupons both on-line and in-store are hit or miss and we'll have to wait for reports to come in to see it they're allowed this sale

5) Preorders aren't usually discounted unless they release during the sale, but the last 2-3 sales people have noticed that some in-store ship-to-home were being listed as 40% off in the computer.
Coupons didn't work, but the member discount applied.

General Advice
Not counting extra coupons and discounted Gift Cards whether or not the 40% is a good deal will depend on the specific item or category you want to buy.
In my experience Std Mass market items aren't going to be a great price since the 40% off starts at MSRP and not normal prices and many big box stores, Amazon, and other online sites
often discount much deeper. TV sets I often find are even more extreme not counting TV sets released by Warner Archive. Some TV sets I don't even start to look at seriously until they are 75% off MSRP.
The 40% sale OTOH, can be excellent for studios that rarely discount their prices and even normal items if you can stack other discounts in addition to the 40% -- Coupons, Member Discount and Discounted Gift cards

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-17-18 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray -- December 18 through end of December 24, 20

First update -- sale is live in store and online. Coupons are active and scanning automatically

Criterions are discounted in store. Shout, WAC, Sony and Universal MOD, and most of the 4K discs I looked at on the computer appear to be 40% off in-store for ShipToHome orders

I didn't run across a single disc that was not eligible though I didn't check all the Boutiques nor more than 10 4K discs. Specifically I forgot to check the Cohen discs which aren;t
always included. I didn't look at any Disney sicne they are usually excluded

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-18-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray -- December 18 through end of December 24, 20

I got Seven Brides and The Sea Hawk using 20% off coupon and membership. One note. I renewed my membership last night and was told at store it doesn't show as renewed on their system for 24 hours. They were able to manual give me the 10% off and remove shipping charge. Luckily they believed me.

Question - "Remember The Night" is one of the Universal MOD blu rays. On the B&N website it says it is not eligible for free shipping. Even with an active membership it is still charging for shipping. Anyone know what happens with ship to home? For non members it still says you need $25 more for free shipping when it is in the cart.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-19-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-19-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I got Seven Brides and The Sea Hawk using 20% off coupon and membership. One note. I renewed my membership last night and was told at store it doesn't show as renewed on their system for 24 hours. They were able to manual give me the 10% off and remove shipping charge. Luckily they believed me.

Question - "Remember The Night" is one of the Universal MOD blu rays. On the B&N website it says it is not eligible for free shipping. Even with an active membership it is still charging for shipping. Anyone know what happens with ship to home? For non members it still says you need $25 more for free shipping when it is in the cart.
I think STH follows the same rules as the website concerning shipping.
I think you can call CSR and have them push the membership activation through.

Some of these MOD items have a weird glitch(I think) usually seen for a day or two after release, but it will happen other times also. If you add it to the cart it will not give you Free Shipping even with membership and if you go to the Checkout Page is lists "B&N Specialty Store" instead of their usual shipping place. Usually after a few days that tends to disappear, but it can be unpredictable -- if it says that then I'm not sure how the STH works since the system appears to think it's coming from outside BN Warehouse.

Sometimes when it comes off the Specialty Store label, it's often listed as OOS. I usually check the Deep Discount page for Backorder status since BN and DD use the same fulfillment warehouse most of the time.
Old 12-19-18, 05:08 PM

I went to a store used shipped to home and got Remember The Night with free shipping . Using membership and 20% coupon it was $9.50 Plus Tax.
Old 12-19-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to a store used shipped to home and got Remember The Night with free shipping . Using membership and 20% coupon it was $9.50 Plus Tax.
Sounds like a bonus extra good and another reason to use the STH program when possible.

Remember the Night, Thrill of It, Man's Favorite Sport, Tqmmy and teh Bachelor are on my next list hopefully in a day or two when another set of coupons rolls in. i still have some BF GC to use up during this sale since I ended up not doing a 2nd round of British TV after the coupons were blocked.

Definitely wish I had gone ahead with an order when DD had about 50 of the BD;s in the BOGO last week though a number of the items I wanted weren't in that sale.
Old 12-19-18, 06:51 PM

Also I now have many buy one cookie get one free coupons. One for every order I placed.
Old 12-20-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

20% OFF ONE ITEM IN-STORE ONLY
B7M9P7X
Expires December 24, 2018 at close of business.

Members should be seeing a 25% code -- one time use in-store only
Old 12-20-18, 01:17 PM

First movie that didn’t discount 40% off with ship to home . Oliver! Showed as $24.99 with ship to home prior to coupon and membership discounts. Maybe because it was just re released.
Old 12-20-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do their coupons stack with their online prices? Or are their prices different in store?
Old 12-20-18, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Do their coupons stack with their online prices? Or are their prices different in store?
Prices are often different in stores esp with this 40% sale. In this situation most every nonDisney/Marvel BD in the store system including Criterions (on hte shelf or ordered as part of the ShiptoHome orders) is 40% and coupons do work including Criterions. Online only some BD (a bit more than half this sale) are discounted -- coupons work fro the 40% off items too if you can find an online discount.

The Arrow 50% sale is opposite -- pretty much all are 50% off online but only 10-15 are discounted in store (or as Ship to Home). Coupons do work on these.

British TV 60% off sale -- most of the British TV sets are 60% in stores and half to 2/3 online, COupons don't work on any of them.

First movie that didn’t discount 40% off with ship to home . Oliver! Showed as $24.99 with ship to home prior to coupon and membership discounts. Maybe because it was just re released.
That actually one of the first items someone said wasn't discounted on the STH price orders
Old 12-20-18, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thought occurred to me to do a STH pre-order on the Criterion "Notorious." I'm guessing the 40%off wouldn't work since it's not out until after the sale (Jan. 15).
Old 12-20-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nealg
The thought occurred to me to do a STH pre-order on the Criterion "Notorious." I'm guessing the 40%off wouldn't work since it's not out until after the sale (Jan. 15).
Probably not, but sometimes on these sales the near preorders will come up discounted, allow member discount, but not coupons since it's officially a preorder. We checked several times in the Criterion sale, but the Jan titles never were discounted.

The Jun 40%, I did get several late June. early July discs ordered so not an impossible idea. If it works let me know -- that's the one disc I'd probably not wait on the Feb/March Flash sale. The July Criterion Sale the Sept item at 50% off, but not the Aug or Oct. July 2017 July sale all teh Criterions from Aug 1 to mid Oct were 50% off. It seems each sale the proeorder window has been shortening, but never hurts to check
Old 12-21-18, 03:12 PM

The wonderful world of Barnes and Noble goes on. I went to purchase Mission Impoosible 6 film set. Listed on B&N website and Amazon with a list price of $59.99. With the ship to home it listed list price as $ 69.99. So the 40% off was $41.99 instead of $35.99. With 20% off and 10% membership still a good deal $28.79 before tax but not as good as expected. Sold out at local stores so don’t know what store list price is.
Old 12-21-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The wonderful world of Barnes and Noble goes on. I went to purchase Mission Impoosible 6 film set. Listed on B&N website and Amazon with a list price of $59.99. With the ship to home it listed list price as $ 69.99. So the 40% off was $41.99 instead of $35.99. With 20% off and 10% membership still a good deal $28.79 before tax but not as good as expected. Sold out at local stores so don’t know what store list price is.
If the STH is 69.99 the store price should be 69.99
Old 12-21-18, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
If the STH is 69.99 the store price should be 69.99
So Barnes and Noble no longer has a hold on blu rays where you can check inventory on line and then they confirm they actual have it and they hold it for 5 days? Now you have to buy online and pick up in store but it works like ordering online and shipping home in that there is no 10% off for members and if the coupons are not entered online you can't use in store as you have already bought the item on the website.
Old 12-21-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Barnes and Noble no longer has a hold on blu rays where you can check inventory on line and then they confirm they actual have it and they hold it for 5 days? Now you have to buy online and pick up in store but it works like ordering online and shipping home in that there is no 10% off for members and if the coupons are not entered online you can't use in store as you have already bought the item on the website.
Directly no -- they changed the web reserve button to a buy now and pick up. This is a web order -- web price, web coupons, no Member discount (polar opposite of ShiptoHome order).
But yes they will still pull and hold items, but you need to call the store now. They should pull the product and hold it for you for at least 3 days.

Spoiler:
Either the length of time officially changed or they shortened it for the holidays. I ran into a major issue with this when I reserved the Bergman set at a local store wed PreBF-- I asked 3 times since I knew in Nov/Dec they often shortened it (before I reserved, when the guy put in down, and at the end of the phone call) HOW LONG will it be held and was told 5 days/End on Monday. Showed up Sunday before noon to buy it and they had sold it that morning saying the reserve was only 3 days. It take every fiber I had not to break my 'Never raise your voice to an innocent clerk' (she wasn't the one I talking to, she did her job the way she was taught). Screaming wasn't going to put that ketchup back. Someone must have know the item was expiring Sat night and showed up opening time Sunday to get it.

The look on my face must have been excruciating as I explained I was told 5 days and Monday, I even told the original clerk I'd be in Sunday. I knew something wasn't right and knew I should have called Saturday, but this store has always done me extra favors so I trusted the information. It even got worse when someone else said their store called them before releasing a hold (different store). Anyway -- ended up not awful since they let me order a STH for the Feb date, gave me the 50%, Member, AND allowed the 30% BF coupon so a little over $100 with tax.
Old 12-22-18, 10:01 AM

I got lucky with the Doctor Who Peter Capaldi Years set. 60% off British TV, 10% membership, and when the 20% coupon didn't work, the clerk offered to manually enter it. Ended up costing $37.44 plus tax. Not bad for a $130 list price. Sold out online but stores still seem to have it. though not all stores.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-22-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-24-18, 09:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep getting email reminder every day to use my Member 25% off in-store coupon despite having used it in a store several days ago. Is there a chance that it might work again if I went to a BN today with one of these emails on my phone? Or, does the system know that the coupon has been used already?
Old 12-24-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The system probably doesn't know and the emails are all automated.

You could try to use it again and small chance it might work a 2nd time. There have been times they've reset certain coupons for re-use though I don't remember than happening with these 13 digit codes since that would require manual resets. There has been more success in the past getting a clerk/manager to push it through manually if you say "BN sent you a new email today" and you didn't realize it was the code you used a few days ago.
Old 12-24-18, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
The system probably doesn't know and the emails are all automated.

You could try to use it again and small chance it might work a 2nd time. There have been times they've reset certain coupons for re-use though I don't remember than happening with these 13 digit codes since that would require manual resets. There has been more success in the past getting a clerk/manager to push it through manually if you say "BN sent you a new email today" and you didn't realize it was the code you used a few days ago.
Thanks for that context. I may swing by a store with the email on my phone and use the "BE sent me a coupon today" excuse.