Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

$3 Blu-Rays and $2 DVDs at Movie Outlet Store in Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
$3 Blu-Rays and $2 DVDs at Movie Outlet Store in Sacramento

This place opened in March and I've kept it a secret since I didn't want others grabbing the good stuff before me, but seeing as I'm out of shelf space I'll post about it. It's located at 5800 Madison Ave, in a strip mall that in the early 90s had a vending machine that rented VHS tapes. Found this TV report on them from last year so you can see what it looks like (underneath that now-outdated news ticker) :

Most are used obviously but I've found many new sealed ones there. I don't know where they come from, they don't buy from the public. Many there have stickers from Savers thrift stores on them, which has no locations in Sacramento. I don't know how they can afford to sell them for so little either. As you can see in the clip they sometimes get complete series box sets and sell those for just $3. They seem to be doing well and have actually talked about opening another location. I've been thinking the prices will go up eventually, and was grabbing what I wanted every few weeks but I'll now just have to put a stop to that. It's kinda funny that we now have no dedicated media stores here to buy new releases at, but we've got this. Got into a conversation there once with a guy who was talking about "everything being digital now", but said "you don't really own" those and still prefers discs.

Anyways, hope this helps someone in the area and would like to see any scores.
Old 01-27-20, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: $3 Blu-Rays and $2 DVDs at Movie Outlet Store in Sacramento

Who knows? Maybe a chain going out of business dumped their inventory through wholesale clearance at once and this store is the result. There was enough stock for one store but not enough to spread out over multiple locations. Chains like Ollie's and Big Lots obviously require huge numbers because they have a national footprint.
Old 02-09-20, 06:31 PM

Went by after work on Friday even though I shouldn't have- picked up season 1 of the show Hoarders brand-new for 3 bucks, since I felt it would be extremely appropriate and maybe teach me something. The guy there said the owners have been selling DVDs for a long time and have a huge stash of them that they sell here and on Ebay. Saw lots of discs from Canada this time, including a Blu-Ray of Saw V (retitled "Decadence") that was only in French- no, I didn't buy that. The place wasn't packed with customers as it should have been on a Friday, but one guy came in asking for VHS tapes and was disappointed they didn't have any.
Old 02-09-20, 08:22 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

For those of us who don't live in the area, what Ebay store name do they use so the rest of us can check them out?
Old 02-09-20, 09:55 PM

I'll try to find out next time I'm there, though it's probably best I don't go too often.