Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-16, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Durham, NC USA
Posts: 994
chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

looks like the complete set of Chaplin feature films - from the kid to King in New york in high def! 11 discs of Chaplin goodness. Never seen this in the US and for $45 it works out to about $4 a disk!

Again, this REGION B.. you need a region free player to get this.. but for those who do, this is a real bargain...

Much cheaper than Amazon.co.uk...

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-cha.../11160289.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 09:27 AM   #2
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 41
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Nice collection. Beware of Zavvi's shipping packing, however. They pack their steelbooks well in a box, but I received Napoleon in a thin bubble envelope and the packaging was crushed and a disc loose when it arrived in the US shipped from the UK.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:19 AM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,471
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Price might be appealing but for a reason - these aren't Criterion style restorations, several titles have been observed to be poor upres'es. Head over to the bluray.com forum for member comments on this title
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:27 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,088
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

I have that set and the feature films themselves aren't upscaled. The transfers are great. If anything is upscaled it could be some of the special features but for $45 that's a great deal.

I don't know where folks got the notion that they've been upscaled.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-30-16 at 10:41 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:29 AM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,471
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I have that set and the features themselves aren't upscaled. The transfers are great. If anything is upscaled it could be some of the special features but for $45 that's a great deal.

I don't know where folks got the notion that they've been upscaled.
Thanks for the update. Since there's no official review on bluray.com, member comments was the only feedback available.

EDIT: One member's comments on bluray.com forum:

Both Park Circus and AE use the MK2 masters, which generally equates to "old restorations", some of them being upscales, like The Kid or The Circus (which I'm still very eager to replace...). The Great Dictator is the only one on par with the Criterion (the Italian disc too; note: neither of them sport the recent 4k resto, methinks).
Also, they are often framed in 1.33 and not 1.37. City Lights is not in the 1.19 ratio.
In short, the way to go is Criterion.

Another member's comments:

.....the separate Chaplin Revue Blu-ray is missing many of the First National non-revue shorts! It's quite obvious they did this because of the "marketing push" of the 11-disc box set which has the rest of the non-revue shorts scattered around various discs. It's not the first time a company does this kind of FU to buyers, hopefully if people would start boycotting these companies/products, one day we'd see it stopping. They even didn't bother to include subtitles to the boxset, not even English, let alone other subs. Well, that makes it more easy not to buy any of the products this company makes.

If you want all First National shorts in one package, you'll have to buy the 2-DVD package from Mk2/Warner
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:40 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,088
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Thanks for the update. Since there's no official review on bluray.com, member comments was the only feedback available.

EDIT: One member's comments on bluray.com forum:

Both Park Circus and AE use the MK2 masters, which generally equates to "old restorations", some of them being upscales, like The Kid or The Circus (which I'm still very eager to replace...). The Great Dictator is the only one on par with the Criterion (the Italian disc too; note: neither of them sport the recent 4k resto, methinks).
Also, they are often framed in 1.33 and not 1.37. City Lights is not in the 1.19 ratio.
In short, the way to go is Criterion.

Another member's comments:

.....the separate Chaplin Revue Blu-ray is missing many of the First National non-revue shorts! It's quite obvious they did this because of the "marketing push" of the 11-disc box set which has the rest of the non-revue shorts scattered around various discs. It's not the first time a company does this kind of FU to buyers, hopefully if people would start boycotting these companies/products, one day we'd see it stopping. They even didn't bother to include subtitles to the boxset, not even English, let alone other subs. Well, that makes it more easy not to buy any of the products this company makes.

If you want all First National shorts in one package, you'll have to buy the 2-DVD package from Mk2/Warner


I saw those comments and was like WTF are they talking about?


Also, the fact that it's been out for like 1.5 years already and there's only 2 forum member comments saying this makes me believe that they're full of crap or that they don't even own the set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:58 AM   #7
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,988
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

I don't know, the caps at DVDBeaver look pretty upscaley to me. Whatever the reason, the Criterion is a pretty massive upgrade.
__________________
My BDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:59 AM   #8
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,471
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I saw those comments and was like WTF are they talking about?


Also, the fact that it's been out for like 1.5 years already and there's only 2 forum member comments saying this makes me believe that they're full of crap or that they don't even own the set.
so those comments ain't valid, you say ? are you saying the set's a go for purchase ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 11:02 AM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,471
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I don't know, the caps at DVDBeaver look pretty upscaley to me. Whatever the reason, the Criterion is a pretty massive upgrade.
Night and day difference. And the AR is off as well, on the Artificial Eye content. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 12:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Durham, NC USA
Posts: 994
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

hmm.. wish I read the beaver review first.

I still think - for the price - its a good bargain. Decent - not great - transfers at a bargain. To get all the criterion versions would easily be 4 to 6x the cost... my pockets aren't that big.

I'll let you know when the set comes in...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 12:50 PM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,988
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

To be fair, that Beaver review only applies to The Kid. The Circus is the other one that's mentioned as being an upscale. The caps seem to support that, but Criterion hasn't released it yet. All of the others films seem to be much closer in quality to the Criterions. For the money, it's probably a good deal and you can always upgrade The Kid separately if it bothers you too much.
__________________
My BDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 05:36 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,088
Re: chaplin 11 disc set region B for $45

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
so those comments ain't valid, you say ? are you saying the set's a go for purchase ?
Hell yeah. Buy buy buy! $45 for an 11 disc set - it's a great deal.


Granted, I also have the editions from Park Circus, Criterion. I do not own the ones Flicker Alley out out due to cost.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0