DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-22-16, 10:20 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Trevor
main Screen Archives Entertainment website - site wonky, use incognito or private modes

Print Wikipost

Old 09-07-16, 03:35 PM   #101
g
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

They should have had it in the bundle from the beginning so they could have sold more. I placed another bundle order to get it.
Old 09-07-16, 05:34 PM   #102
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On Amazon someone is selling Cover Girl for $35 + and says they have 8 copies. They probably all came from the bundles. Cheapest at Amazon is $20 . This is a movie Twilight Time apparently can't give away as its been available for years and is still in stock. Its a shame because it really is a good movie. This was Gene Kelly's first showcase though it is clearly Rita Hayworth's picture. Twilight Time has been selling this disk since 2012. Reviews at that time indicated it was not a good representation of what the film originally looked like and not much of an improvement from the DVD version. Not sure how much reviews would effect sales.

Last edited by Classic Films; 09-07-16 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 05:53 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
On Amazon someone is selling Cover Girl for $35 + and says they have 8 copies. They probably all came from the bundles. Cheapest at Amazon is $20 . This is a movie Twilight Time apparently can't give away as its been available for years and is still in stock. Its a shame because it really is a good movie. This was Gene Kelly's first showcase though it is clearly Rita Hayworth's picture. Twilight Time has been selling this disk since 2012. Reviews at that time indicated it was not a good representation of what the film originally looked like and not much of an improvement from the DVD version. Not sure how much reviews would effect sales.
I would guess that the relative obscurity of the movie and the TT price give reviews a higher-than-usual impact.

Heck, I'm a fan of musicals and of Kelly and Hayworth, and I haven't got around to watching the copy I got last year.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 09-08-16, 12:09 AM   #104

Well, when it comes to Twilight Time releases, I absolutely read the reviews. If I am going to shell out $30 then it had better possess image and audio quality commensurate with the price tag. The movies in the bundle would interest me at the $5 price point—maybe.
Old 09-08-16, 12:14 PM   #105
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
On Amazon someone is selling Cover Girl for $35 + and says they have 8 copies. They probably all came from the bundles. Cheapest at Amazon is $20. This is a movie Twilight Time apparently can't give away as its been available for years and is still in stock. Its a shame because it really is a good movie. This was Gene Kelly's first showcase though it is clearly Rita Hayworth's picture. Twilight Time has been selling this disk since 2012. Reviews at that time indicated it was not a good representation of what the film originally looked like and not much of an improvement from the DVD version. Not sure how much reviews would effect sales.
On Amazon Canada the lowest price for the Cover Girl blu is $59.99, and they're all used! I suspect a lot of those U.S. Marketplace sellers took advantage of the bundles. While I admittedly stocked up on them as well, and could potentially stand to make an even higher profit up here than sellers on the U.S. site, I certainly couldn't imagine getting (or affording) eight or more copies of them all. That's a bit much, but hey, it's a free market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
Well, when it comes to Twilight Time releases, I absolutely read the reviews. If I am going to shell out $30 then it had better possess image and audio quality commensurate with the price tag. The movies in the bundle would interest me at the $5 price point—maybe.
The only time I've ever paid $30 for a TT disc was when they re-issued Fright Night. Tried to get Christine on the first go-round -- back when people jockeyed for such things -- and couldn't get through the crush, but Sony solved that problem in due time. Outside of those two instances, I've strictly paid $20 for everything I've ordered from them (up until the bundle sale) and kind of assumed most others did, too. I don't really understand the need to pay full price when we know (now, anyway) that there will be two $20 sales every year at SAE and another two at Twilight's own site, and certainly even their highest-profile titles don't encourage the mad rushes that they used to, or even the placement of quantity limits on orders. Outside of a few average efforts, I feel that $20 is tolerable, even on some of the more obscure stuff, and probably still marginally profitable to TT. However, now that SAE has unloaded low-sellers like this once, it's only a matter of time before they do it again, so the trick I suppose is just keeping tabs on what's not selling (assuming that's possible?) and waiting them out. I'm sure Bobby Deerfield has it's fans, for example, but really . . .

The discs in the bundles, however, are well worth the $10 they're asking, even if just to watch them and sell them off at a profit down the road. Even Cover Girl, which was originally a $20 buy for me since the film was already a semi-favorite in my DVD collection.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-08-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 11:16 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
...The discs in the bundles, however, are well worth the $10 they're asking, even if just to watch them and sell them off at a profit down the road. Even Cover Girl, which was originally a $20 buy for me since the film was already a semi-favorite in my DVD collection.
To be honest, none of the films available in the bundle were anywhere on my radar. I didn't learn of their availability or existence until reading that they were being cleared out. After reading reviews, I realized many of them had sub-par presentations and the content didn't interest me. I'd rather pay $30 for "Moby Dick" when it is available than $10 for three of the ones in the bundle—and I probably will because I'll be shocked if it doesn't sell out fast. So, I'm not gonna take any chances on that title. Twilight Time has had a few titles I thought I would truly regret not purchasing, like the "Thunderbirds" Double Feature and "First Men In The Moon." There's a heavy dose of nostalgia wrapped up in those titles, so even if I paid $30 there would be no regrets.
Old 09-11-16, 02:03 AM   #107
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
I'd rather pay $30 for "Moby Dick" when it is available than $10 for three of the ones in the bundle—and I probably will because I'll be shocked if it doesn't sell out fast. So, I'm not gonna take any chances on that title.
As much as Moby Dick is a great film, I'm quite skeptical that it would sell out fast, especially at $30. I sometimes wonder if the label will have anymore sellouts at all. The few quick sellouts Twilight Time has had were mostly genre films, weren't they? Like Fright Night, Christine, etc. I don't recall many, if any, of their old 40's and 50's studio classics" selling out quickly, and with the state of physical media being what it is, I'd wager that Moby Dick might last until at least the first 20% off sale and maybe beyond. Still, probably better to be safe at $30 than sorry.
Old 09-11-16, 02:19 AM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

I'm really interested in getting Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, which comes out this week.

But $30 for it is quite pricey for it.

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/re...egins-blu-ray/

Not sure it's worth that much for me. It was a super cheesy 80's action movie and fun, but $30 is quite a premium price.

I just got a Region free BD player fairly recently and noticed that Arrow UK has a Region B release for around 16 pounds= $21 approx.

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/remo-williams/

Seems like a loaded release. Does anyone here own this release?

Same goes for the Cannon films Charles Bronson classic Murphy's Law.

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/murphys-law-blu-ray/

$30 is quite a premium for a low budget 80's B/C movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-16 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 02:22 AM   #109
g

They added a few more to the bundle deal. Alamo Bay, The Rapture, and Roots of Heaven. I wish i had waited on my last order. i already have Rapture though.
Old 09-11-16, 05:23 AM   #110

Go with the UK Arrow for Remo Williams - I can't see how TT can improve on that release; it even has the isolated score. TT seems to have an exclusive commentary track and perhaps one featurette vs the 4 on Arrow's release. The Arrow version has been as cheap as $12 delivered before (I can't remember if that was from 3rd party Amazon or Arrow's own bi-annual sale). --Peter
Old 09-11-16, 10:57 AM   #111

Quote:
As much as Moby Dick is a great film, I'm quite skeptical that it would sell out fast, especially at $30. I sometimes wonder if the label will have anymore sellouts at all. The few quick sellouts Twilight Time has had were mostly genre films, weren't they? Like Fright Night, Christine, etc. I don't recall many, if any, of their old 40's and 50's studio classics" selling out quickly, and with the state of physical media being what it is, I'd wager that Moby Dick might last until at least the first 20% off sale and maybe beyond. Still, probably better to be safe at $30 than sorry.
You know, you are probably right—but I'm just not going to gamble. I'd rather pay the extra $10 to have it securely in my hands rather than risk missing out. Oddly, I don't think I have ever owned that title and its been years since I have watched it. If I am dumb enough to shell out $30 for a movie because it has a metal case, then I am not gonna chance missing a certified classic like "Moby Dick."
Old 09-11-16, 12:03 PM   #112
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by g View Post
They added a few more to the bundle deal. Alamo Bay, The Rapture, and Roots of Heaven. I wish i had waited on my last order. i already have Rapture though.
In for a few of each of those! I figured they'd add more some day, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Incidentally, check out the listings Alamo Bay, Rains of Ranchipur, Beloved Infidel and others from the bundles Amazon CANADA, and you'll note an interesting new seller listing in the Marketplace. How much you wanna bet they've been reading this thread (and setting aside several copies from the bundle piles for themselves now)!

Last edited by Brian T; 09-11-16 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 06:21 PM   #113
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
Go with the UK Arrow for Remo Williams - I can't see how TT can improve on that release; it even has the isolated score. TT seems to have an exclusive commentary track and perhaps one featurette vs the 4 on Arrow's release. The Arrow version has been as cheap as $12 delivered before (I can't remember if that was from 3rd party Amazon or Arrow's own bi-annual sale). --Peter
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing...the Arrow version is about $16 (12 pounds) on Amazon UK right now. TT has a new commentary track with film historians, but the UK one has a new commentary with the producers of the movie.
Old 09-12-16, 08:20 PM   #114
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Remember the newest releases are not included in their sales. So depending on when a title is released it could be 6 months to a year before it is included in a sale.
Old 09-12-16, 09:26 PM   #115
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Remember the newest releases are not included in their sales. So depending on when a title is released it could be 6 months to a year before it is included in a sale.
And other than those truly hot titles like Fright Night or Christine, or maybe some of those earlier Harryhausens and whatnot that they ended up re-pressing and/or improving, I'm hard pressed to remember a new release that didn't stay in stock long enough to go on sale. Six months isn't a particularly long time to wait in this hobby, especially when most of the market is collectors who've learned the sales circuit pretty well by now. Still, if one wants to be absolutely certain they won't miss out, then I do agree that paying full price is the only way to go for that peace of mind.
Old 09-19-16, 08:08 PM   #116

Very nice update and additions to the bundles.
At least a couple of these are also on the short supply list.

ALAMO BAY (1985)
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
BITE THE BULLET (1975)
THE BLUE LAGOON (1980)
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)
COVER GIRL (1944)
DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954)
DESIREE (1954)
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955)
MINDWARP (1992)
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970)
THE OTHER (1972)
PAL JOEY (1957)
PHILADELPHIA (1993)
PONY SOLDIER (1952)
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)
RAPTURE (1965)
THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958)
ROYAL FLASH (1975)
SEXY BEAST (2000)
THE SOUND AND THE FURY (1959)
SWAMP WATER (1941)
THE WAY WE WERE (1973)
THE WAYWARD BUS (1957)

DVDs
THE KREMLIN LETTER (1970) DVD
VIOLENT SATURDAY (1955) DVD
Woman Obsessed (1959) DVD

Not entirely sure this is the most UTD list, but it sounds close enough
THE BLUE LAGOON - fewer than 220 copies remaining
MINDWARP - fewer than 400 copies remaining
DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS - fewer than 450 copies remaining

Last edited by hariseldon; 09-19-16 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 08:50 PM   #117
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice additions. I was able to put together a nice 7 from that updated list.
Old 09-19-16, 08:50 PM   #118
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn you, SA for robbing me earlier on many of these titles. Boy, are they clearing house ! And hariseldon, you shouldn't have posted this. My media weakness results in the purchase of 2 more bundles. Thanks.

(some links in your post hit incorrect titles, not complaining just mentioning - thanks for the links but)

EDIT: There's a lingering suspicion that these guys might be up to something on the lines of Olive Films - future releases of new scans, new remasterings of some of these titles that don't really hold up too well on HD in their current avatar (Case in point = Demetrius...). And of course, they simply haven't been able to get rid of some titles like 'The Blue Lagoon' for ages despite being featured in every one of their annual 'sales' at the $19.99 price point.

Also, if you are region free, pass on 'Violent Saturday' DVD in favor of the Region B Eureka BD release which is no more than $13 or $14 shipped to the States

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 09-19-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 09:06 PM   #119

Violent Saturday looks glorious on the Masters of Cinema Region B blu-ray; highly recommended if you're region free. --Peter
Old 09-19-16, 09:14 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Damn you, SA for robbing me earlier on many of these titles. Boy, are they clearing house ! And hariseldon, you shouldn't have posted this. My media weakness results in the purchase of 2 more bundles. Thanks.

(some links in your post hit incorrect titles, not complaining just mentioning - thanks for the links but)

EDIT: There's a lingering suspicion that these guys might be up to something on the lines of Olive Films - future releases of new scans, new remasterings of some of these titles that don't really hold up too well on HD in their current avatar (Case in point = Demetrius...). And of course, they simply haven't been able to get rid of some titles like 'The Blue Lagoon' for ages despite being featured in every one of their annual 'sales' at the $19.99 price point.

Also, if you are region free, pass on 'Violent Saturday' DVD in favor of the Region B Eureka BD release which is no more than $13 or $14 shipped to the States
I'm not sure what;s going on with the links. They work on Opera, Chrome is being a pain. I can't even get to the bundle section directly right now.

The links look like they're correct when I manually check them, but something is messed up. I haven't been able to get to SAE on my computer using Firefox in weeks, but Chrome has been working most of the time. IE isn't working, but EDGE is.
Old 09-19-16, 09:39 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post

I think I figured out why the links weren't working, but I'm still not sure why it was only on some browsers. I changed all the prefixed from www1 to www and it seems to work now.

I'm not sure if this is TT and/or SAE breaking up or TT running up the red flag, but I agree there is something odd going on.

I would complain about the original purchase price I paid willingly, but I've had many of these for 2-4 years and I just can't worry about what the prices are 3 years after I bought them. If I did that I'd never have bought anything and it would have taken me an extra 8 years to buy an HDTV
Old 09-19-16, 10:08 PM   #122
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
Violent Saturday looks glorious on the Masters of Cinema Region B blu-ray; highly recommended if you're region free. --Peter
Might also be worth waiting to see if TT marks down their excellent Blu-Ray of Violent Saturday some day, which seems likely since, like many of the ones in the bargain bundles, it's not really a special edition (having only an isolated score). Even if they don't, MoC's edition will probably still be around.
Old 09-19-16, 10:28 PM   #123

Quote:
Might also be worth waiting to see if TT marks down their excellent Blu-Ray of Violent Saturday some day, which seems likely since, like many of the ones in the bargain bundles, it's not really a special edition (having only an isolated score). Even if they don't, MoC's edition will probably still be around.
They're working their way chronologically so Violent Saturday is way off -- another 30 or so in front of it. They are up to 12/2013 with very few exceptions -- Major Dundee, In Like Flint, Drums Along the Mohawk, Oliver, and Jane Eyre. Anything else released before 2014 is in the bundle or sold out.
Old 09-19-16, 10:31 PM   #124
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely seems like something fishy going on, but they're still announcing new titles, so there's that. I do have a hard time believing that they'll ever re-release any of these a la Olive just to get improved transfers on the market. If they didn't sell well the first time around, a new transfer won't move that many more copies. I'll definitely be curbing my spending at future $20 sales though, as several that I picked up at that price even this year are now in the bundles. Of course, being able to buy extras and flip 'em I the long term will certainly offset my earlier spends quite nicely, but I can't imagine this won't impact Twilight Time's bottom line over the long haul (even though it's Screen Archives cleaning house) when more and more people just start holding off.

Predictably, all the new additions went up on Amazon Canada's Marketplace via "newly launched" seller Screen Archives Entertainment . within the last few days for the princely sum of $40.60 CDN, so it's a safe bet they're holding back a good chunk of each title to offset the write-downs on these bundles. I should probably look up the remaining non-bundle titles to see if they've done the same with any of those; might be a good way of seeing what will be added next.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-19-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 10:35 PM   #125
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post

I think I figured out why the links weren't working, but I'm still not sure why it was only on some browsers. I changed all the prefixed from www1 to www and it seems to work now.

I'm not sure if this is TT and/or SAE breaking up or TT running up the red flag, but I agree there is something odd going on.

I would complain about the original purchase price I paid willingly, but I've had many of these for 2-4 years and I just can't worry about what the prices are 3 years after I bought them. If I did that I'd never have bought anything and it would have taken me an extra 8 years to buy an HDTV
don't know what's happening with Chrome. Sometimes the links work, most times I end up with a 404 - Page not found. Switched to Incognito mode in Chrome and everything works like a charm. Thanks for correcting the links, hariseldon