Last edit by: Trevor
Print Wikipost

Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Originally Posted by izatright
Can't find either title at TT or SAE. Seems like they're OOP, but strange that it wasn't announced at either TT's FB or their website.
I think they heard you...
29min ago on facebook:

Just a heads-up that HIGH TIME and THE SONG OF BERNADETTE are now SOLD OUT. FIRST MEN IN THE MOON and JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG are going fast...
thanks as always for your fantastic support!
Old 08-29-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Question -- have there really been lost packages? I've really never heard of anyone.
When I lived in Canada, at least six packages vanished during that year.

One was several-hundred-dollars'-worth of irreplaceable fanzines, so I called to complain and try and at least get compensated. After half an hour of futile arguments/pleasing, the Canada Post representative told me in almost these exact terms that the only way to guarantee things not being lost, was not to have them sent via Canada Post. I was left speechless...
Old 08-29-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Looks like 'bundle' offerings SONG OF BERNADETTE and HIGH TIME are now out of stock.
dunno about 'High Time' but the PQ on 'Song of Bernadette' is one of the worst of the Bluray world. Seriously, you didn't miss anything. I had the Fox Studio classics DVD ($3 from a Hastings sale) and missed nothing on that terrible BD disc. Not worth $10 at all.
Old 08-29-16, 08:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

How's Sleepless in Seattle?
Old 08-29-16, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
dunno about 'High Time' but the PQ on 'Song of Bernadette' is one of the worst of the Bluray world. Seriously, you didn't miss anything. I had the Fox Studio classics DVD ($3 from a Hastings sale) and missed nothing on that terrible BD disc. Not worth $10 at all.
It's worth $10 when you can flip it for $70! (btw, that seller's not me) . I picked up three of each of these two in the bundle sale, and two or three of all the others for good measure. As mentioned earlier, the Canadian resale values on TT discs -- even the ones still in print -- is robust, usually around double their standard price of $29.99. Don't know why, but hey, it's Canada -- we pay more for everything! At approx. $14 CDN per disc, shipped (to my U.S. address) the margins, especially now that they're out of print, go a long way to mitigating those instances where I may have overpaid a bit for TT products, such as I suppose I did when I bought Song of Bernadette in a previous $20 sale. Even then, though, I found the audio video quality reasonably acceptable, albeit not as good as it obviously could've been. Never bit on High Time because of the mixed critical reaction to the film itself rather than the disc, but at $10US I didn't mind giving it a try. My previous post was just to mention they're officially gone now, in case anyone's on the fence about the leftovers. Still contemplating getting another bundle from the remainder. It's not like there's a run on them, even though there probably should be.

Originally Posted by ntnon
When I lived in Canada, at least six packages vanished during that year. One was several-hundred-dollars'-worth of irreplaceable fanzines, so I called to complain and try and at least get compensated. After half an hour of futile arguments/pleasing, the Canada Post representative told me in almost these exact terms that the only way to guarantee things not being lost, was not to have them sent via Canada Post. I was left speechless...
Good to know I'm not the only one! Although I kind of always knew I wasn't the only one!

Last edited by Brian T; 08-29-16 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 05:15 PM
Banned

American Buffalo is now just $9.95
Old 09-05-16, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Damn, why did you have to mention it ? :-)
Old 09-06-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's also included in their 7/$70 "bundles" section.

Got an email yesterday from Twilight Time's own site touting the sell-off of their remaining MINDWARP discs for $14.95 a pop, even though it can be had for $10 as part of SAE's bundle sale.
Old 09-07-16, 03:35 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They should have had it in the bundle from the beginning so they could have sold more. I placed another bundle order to get it.
Old 09-07-16, 05:34 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

On Amazon someone is selling Cover Girl for $35 + and says they have 8 copies. They probably all came from the bundles. Cheapest at Amazon is $20 . This is a movie Twilight Time apparently can't give away as its been available for years and is still in stock. Its a shame because it really is a good movie. This was Gene Kelly's first showcase though it is clearly Rita Hayworth's picture. Twilight Time has been selling this disk since 2012. Reviews at that time indicated it was not a good representation of what the film originally looked like and not much of an improvement from the DVD version. Not sure how much reviews would effect sales.

Last edited by Classic Films; 09-07-16 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
On Amazon someone is selling Cover Girl for $35 + and says they have 8 copies. They probably all came from the bundles. Cheapest at Amazon is $20 . This is a movie Twilight Time apparently can't give away as its been available for years and is still in stock. Its a shame because it really is a good movie. This was Gene Kelly's first showcase though it is clearly Rita Hayworth's picture. Twilight Time has been selling this disk since 2012. Reviews at that time indicated it was not a good representation of what the film originally looked like and not much of an improvement from the DVD version. Not sure how much reviews would effect sales.
I would guess that the relative obscurity of the movie and the TT price give reviews a higher-than-usual impact.

Heck, I'm a fan of musicals and of Kelly and Hayworth, and I haven't got around to watching the copy I got last year.
Old 09-08-16, 12:09 AM
Banned

Well, when it comes to Twilight Time releases, I absolutely read the reviews. If I am going to shell out $30 then it had better possess image and audio quality commensurate with the price tag. The movies in the bundle would interest me at the $5 price point—maybe.
Old 09-08-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On Amazon someone is selling Cover Girl for $35 + and says they have 8 copies. They probably all came from the bundles. Cheapest at Amazon is $20. This is a movie Twilight Time apparently can't give away as its been available for years and is still in stock. Its a shame because it really is a good movie. This was Gene Kelly's first showcase though it is clearly Rita Hayworth's picture. Twilight Time has been selling this disk since 2012. Reviews at that time indicated it was not a good representation of what the film originally looked like and not much of an improvement from the DVD version. Not sure how much reviews would effect sales.
On Amazon Canada the lowest price for the Cover Girl blu is $59.99, and they're all used! I suspect a lot of those U.S. Marketplace sellers took advantage of the bundles. While I admittedly stocked up on them as well, and could potentially stand to make an even higher profit up here than sellers on the U.S. site, I certainly couldn't imagine getting (or affording) eight or more copies of them all. That's a bit much, but hey, it's a free market.

Well, when it comes to Twilight Time releases, I absolutely read the reviews. If I am going to shell out $30 then it had better possess image and audio quality commensurate with the price tag. The movies in the bundle would interest me at the $5 price point—maybe.
The only time I've ever paid $30 for a TT disc was when they re-issued Fright Night. Tried to get Christine on the first go-round -- back when people jockeyed for such things -- and couldn't get through the crush, but Sony solved that problem in due time. Outside of those two instances, I've strictly paid $20 for everything I've ordered from them (up until the bundle sale) and kind of assumed most others did, too. I don't really understand the need to pay full price when we know (now, anyway) that there will be two $20 sales every year at SAE and another two at Twilight's own site, and certainly even their highest-profile titles don't encourage the mad rushes that they used to, or even the placement of quantity limits on orders. Outside of a few average efforts, I feel that $20 is tolerable, even on some of the more obscure stuff, and probably still marginally profitable to TT. However, now that SAE has unloaded low-sellers like this once, it's only a matter of time before they do it again, so the trick I suppose is just keeping tabs on what's not selling (assuming that's possible?) and waiting them out. I'm sure Bobby Deerfield has it's fans, for example, but really . . .

The discs in the bundles, however, are well worth the $10 they're asking, even if just to watch them and sell them off at a profit down the road. Even Cover Girl, which was originally a $20 buy for me since the film was already a semi-favorite in my DVD collection.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-08-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 11:16 AM
Banned

...The discs in the bundles, however, are well worth the $10 they're asking, even if just to watch them and sell them off at a profit down the road. Even Cover Girl, which was originally a $20 buy for me since the film was already a semi-favorite in my DVD collection.
To be honest, none of the films available in the bundle were anywhere on my radar. I didn't learn of their availability or existence until reading that they were being cleared out. After reading reviews, I realized many of them had sub-par presentations and the content didn't interest me. I'd rather pay $30 for "Moby Dick" when it is available than $10 for three of the ones in the bundle—and I probably will because I'll be shocked if it doesn't sell out fast. So, I'm not gonna take any chances on that title. Twilight Time has had a few titles I thought I would truly regret not purchasing, like the "Thunderbirds" Double Feature and "First Men In The Moon." There's a heavy dose of nostalgia wrapped up in those titles, so even if I paid $30 there would be no regrets.
Old 09-11-16, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd rather pay $30 for "Moby Dick" when it is available than $10 for three of the ones in the bundle—and I probably will because I'll be shocked if it doesn't sell out fast. So, I'm not gonna take any chances on that title.
As much as Moby Dick is a great film, I'm quite skeptical that it would sell out fast, especially at $30. I sometimes wonder if the label will have anymore sellouts at all. The few quick sellouts Twilight Time has had were mostly genre films, weren't they? Like Fright Night, Christine, etc. I don't recall many, if any, of their old 40's and 50's studio classics" selling out quickly, and with the state of physical media being what it is, I'd wager that Moby Dick might last until at least the first 20% off sale and maybe beyond. Still, probably better to be safe at $30 than sorry.
Old 09-11-16, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm really interested in getting Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, which comes out this week.

But $30 for it is quite pricey for it.

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/re...egins-blu-ray/

Not sure it's worth that much for me. It was a super cheesy 80's action movie and fun, but $30 is quite a premium price.

I just got a Region free BD player fairly recently and noticed that Arrow UK has a Region B release for around 16 pounds= $21 approx.

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/remo-williams/

Seems like a loaded release. Does anyone here own this release?

Same goes for the Cannon films Charles Bronson classic Murphy's Law.

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/murphys-law-blu-ray/

$30 is quite a premium for a low budget 80's B/C movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-16 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 02:22 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They added a few more to the bundle deal. Alamo Bay, The Rapture, and Roots of Heaven. I wish i had waited on my last order. i already have Rapture though.
Old 09-11-16, 05:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with the UK Arrow for Remo Williams - I can't see how TT can improve on that release; it even has the isolated score. TT seems to have an exclusive commentary track and perhaps one featurette vs the 4 on Arrow's release. The Arrow version has been as cheap as $12 delivered before (I can't remember if that was from 3rd party Amazon or Arrow's own bi-annual sale). --Peter
Old 09-11-16, 10:57 AM
Banned

As much as Moby Dick is a great film, I'm quite skeptical that it would sell out fast, especially at $30. I sometimes wonder if the label will have anymore sellouts at all. The few quick sellouts Twilight Time has had were mostly genre films, weren't they? Like Fright Night, Christine, etc. I don't recall many, if any, of their old 40's and 50's studio classics" selling out quickly, and with the state of physical media being what it is, I'd wager that Moby Dick might last until at least the first 20% off sale and maybe beyond. Still, probably better to be safe at $30 than sorry.
You know, you are probably right—but I'm just not going to gamble. I'd rather pay the extra $10 to have it securely in my hands rather than risk missing out. Oddly, I don't think I have ever owned that title and its been years since I have watched it. If I am dumb enough to shell out $30 for a movie because it has a metal case, then I am not gonna chance missing a certified classic like "Moby Dick."
Old 09-11-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by g
They added a few more to the bundle deal. Alamo Bay, The Rapture, and Roots of Heaven. I wish i had waited on my last order. i already have Rapture though.
In for a few of each of those! I figured they'd add more some day, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Incidentally, check out the listings Alamo Bay, Rains of Ranchipur, Beloved Infidel and others from the bundles Amazon CANADA, and you'll note an interesting new seller listing in the Marketplace. How much you wanna bet they've been reading this thread (and setting aside several copies from the bundle piles for themselves now)!

Last edited by Brian T; 09-11-16 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Go with the UK Arrow for Remo Williams - I can't see how TT can improve on that release; it even has the isolated score. TT seems to have an exclusive commentary track and perhaps one featurette vs the 4 on Arrow's release. The Arrow version has been as cheap as $12 delivered before (I can't remember if that was from 3rd party Amazon or Arrow's own bi-annual sale). --Peter
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing...the Arrow version is about $16 (12 pounds) on Amazon UK right now. TT has a new commentary track with film historians, but the UK one has a new commentary with the producers of the movie.
Old 09-12-16, 08:20 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Remember the newest releases are not included in their sales. So depending on when a title is released it could be 6 months to a year before it is included in a sale.
Old 09-12-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember the newest releases are not included in their sales. So depending on when a title is released it could be 6 months to a year before it is included in a sale.
And other than those truly hot titles like Fright Night or Christine, or maybe some of those earlier Harryhausens and whatnot that they ended up re-pressing and/or improving, I'm hard pressed to remember a new release that didn't stay in stock long enough to go on sale. Six months isn't a particularly long time to wait in this hobby, especially when most of the market is collectors who've learned the sales circuit pretty well by now. Still, if one wants to be absolutely certain they won't miss out, then I do agree that paying full price is the only way to go for that peace of mind.
Old 09-19-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice additions. I was able to put together a nice 7 from that updated list.
Old 09-19-16, 08:50 PM

Damn you, SA for robbing me earlier on many of these titles. Boy, are they clearing house ! And hariseldon, you shouldn't have posted this. My media weakness results in the purchase of 2 more bundles. Thanks.

(some links in your post hit incorrect titles, not complaining just mentioning - thanks for the links but)

EDIT: There's a lingering suspicion that these guys might be up to something on the lines of Olive Films - future releases of new scans, new remasterings of some of these titles that don't really hold up too well on HD in their current avatar (Case in point = Demetrius...). And of course, they simply haven't been able to get rid of some titles like 'The Blue Lagoon' for ages despite being featured in every one of their annual 'sales' at the $19.99 price point.

Also, if you are region free, pass on 'Violent Saturday' DVD in favor of the Region B Eureka BD release which is no more than $13 or $14 shipped to the States

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 09-19-16 at 09:04 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.