DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-22-16, 10:20 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Trevor
main Screen Archives Entertainment website - site wonky, use incognito or private modes

Print Wikipost

Old 08-17-16, 03:20 PM   #76
DVD Talk Gold Edition

re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Made three bundles for $228.50 US shipped (just shy of $300 CDN). Got doubles of quite a few, including stuff I already own (which I guess makes them triples in a sense), for previously mentioned reasons.
Old 08-17-16, 03:44 PM   #77
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Got doubles of quite a few, including stuff I already own (which I guess makes them triples in a sense), for previously mentioned reasons.
What? I backtracked the thread, but couldn't find what you were referring to.

On a separate note, that "I Could Go On Singing" promo, signed by the producer, did not seem to appeal to many buyers. Forty-two minutes later and there are still around 33 left. I picked up one, a bundle of 7, Sleepless in Seattle, and American Buffalo.
Old 08-17-16, 03:47 PM   #78
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There have been several signed promos this year that lasted for a week or more. Very unlike past sales where 1-5 minutes and they were almost always gone.
Old 08-17-16, 03:56 PM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by izatright View Post
On a separate note, that "I Could Go On Singing" promo, signed by the producer, did not seem to appeal to many buyers. Forty-two minutes later and there are still around 33 left. I picked up one, a bundle of 7, Sleepless in Seattle, and American Buffalo.
That signed title appeals to me, but I placed an order in the recent sale and either I didn't know about it or it wasn't available then. Cover Girl is the only title that interests me in this promotion, but I already have it, and of course haven't watched it.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-17-16, 04:00 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
That signed title appeals to me, but I placed an order in the recent sale and either I didn't know about it or it wasn't available then. Cover Girl is the only title that interests me in this promotion, but I already have it, and of course haven't watched it.
The signed promo title only went up today. Most of these promotions tend to be very short lived and you have to place your order (118-149 minimum) then add the promo copy while it's in stock in order to get it,
Old 08-17-16, 04:01 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
The signed title only went up for sale today. Most of these promotions tend to be very short lived and you have to place your order (118-149 minimum) then add the promo copy while it's in stock in order to get it,
Ah, thanks! I'll probably skip it.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-17-16, 04:09 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone is doing the 7 movie thing and don't want 7, let me know. I really only have an interest in Mindwarp after looking at all the films but I could help someone or a group get to seven if need be. Just PM here. Thanks.
Old 08-17-16, 04:12 PM   #83
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
What? I backtracked the thread, but couldn't find what you were referring to.
Resale values for TT discs on Amazon.ca's Marketplace, which are rather exorbitant because that's pretty much the only way to buy them up here. Most of the high prices originate with U.S.-based sellers, so when I do sell off TT discs (which I always purchase during their sales) I can undercut these guys by a country mile and at least break even or maybe make a modest profit (obviously moreso on these $10 titles).

TT does ship to Canada, but they add a flat $25 'Registered Mail' fee because of a history of lost parcels. So, for example, shipping my 21 discs to Canada would've cost me $27 US plus another $25 US on top of that; shipping to my US address was $18.50. For other Canadian buyers without that kind of access, there's also the risk of damages during shipment (especially on single discs in bubble mailers) and the expense, delays and futility of trying to return something back across the border for an exchange or refund.
Old 08-17-16, 04:46 PM   #84

Question -- have there really been lost packages? I've really never heard of anyone.

Is the extra charge required now -- at one point it was suggested, but not required though it became "Your Own Risk"

Most people have said if you request a shipping box in the Request Box at checkout instead of bubble mailer for 1 or 2 items they're usually willing to do so
Old 08-17-16, 07:57 PM   #85
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obligatory whine over S/H of $10.15 to ship 8 BDs !!

COME ON, SA, media mail should cost you no more than $5
Old 08-17-16, 08:40 PM   #86

$10.15 doesn't sound so bad (based on my previous orders with SAE). In their defense, CD's typically come wrapped in their own bubblewrap sleeves and box is filled out with clean styrofoam peanuts...and a new shipping box. Yes, actual shipping is $5 or $6...the other $4 is the HANDLING part of the S/H. --Peter
Old 08-17-16, 09:10 PM   #87
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Question -- have there really been lost packages? I've really never heard of anyone.

Is the extra charge required now -- at one point it was suggested, but not required though it became "Your Own Risk"

Most people have said if you request a shipping box in the Request Box at checkout instead of bubble mailer for 1 or 2 items they're usually willing to do so
It does happen. Not constantly, but enough that it certainly makes me hesitant to have stuff shipped here instead of to my American addresses. Not sure why I have fewer problems there. You're right about the Registered Mail fee being optional, but the fact that it appears in a Huge Red Warning Banner across the top of the page when Canadian (and other?) buyers are checking out suggests that Screen Archives has run into the problem often enough to justify providing the option.

My experience with the box mailers on single discs (a few of which I ordered in the early days of the TT label, before the sales began, as well as many soundtrack CDs over the years) was hit or miss but generally ok -- sometimes they used them when requested, other times I got the bubble mailer anyway -- so it was probably just luck that most of those discs survived the gauntlet of two different courier/postal companies and whatever the various customs operations decided to do with them. They've been much more consistent with the cardboard in recent years, though.

Mind you, lost and damaged orders from outside Canada make up a teensy fraction of those I do have shipped here, but those experiences are enough to make me pause for some mental math every time I consider having another one sent up here. In some cases the companies are kind enough to ship replacements for free (Amazon UK is phenomenal in this regard, and Arrow UK is almost as good), but Screen Archives being as small as they are, I suppose they probably have no choice but to at least offer the $25 Registered Mail option with the proviso that if you don't take it and your stuff does get lost en route, they're off the hook for costly replacements from limited stock. It's an understandable form of insurance, really, but it's still disconcerting to be faced with it when you select Canada as a destination, and I can imagine that it discourages many other Canadians from even bothering when the risk is so prominently described alongside the fee. As someone who's in the U.S. virtually every other weekend, I can at least bridge that gap for a few folks, and hopefully make a few bucks for the effort.

Quote:
The signed promo title only went up today. Most of these promotions tend to be very short lived and you have to place your order (118-149 minimum) then add the promo copy while it's in stock in order to get it,
By the way, thanks to those who brought up the signed copy of I Could Go On Singing being compatible with items from this sale. Figured it wouldn't be when I was filling my cart, so I didn't bother. Not a movie high on my must-see list, frankly, but everything's worth a shot, so I canceled my earlier order and placed it again, only this time adding another "bundle" of 7 discs to bring the total to just over $300 shipped for 29 discs (a couple of single BDs, doubles on the rest, and triples on the three DVD-only editions -- lest anyone think I'm actually cleaning them out, I'm clearly not. )

Last edited by Brian T; 08-17-16 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 09:35 PM   #88

Thanks for the complete response. I read the TT/SAE thread fairly regularly and just hadn't read of any lost packages or at least not very often at all. For a $300 package I'd likely opt for registered as well, for the std 50-100 orders I'd likely take my chances and hope that SAE follows through the way I think they would which would be to reship the items.

As small as they are an infrequent as lost packages are I bet they'd feel obligated do replace it esp if you are a long time repeat customer and it's not your 3rd lost package in a year. A first time large order from a PO Box(or equivalent) in Argentina declared lost aggressively would likely get turned down as a bit suspicious
Old 08-18-16, 09:36 AM   #89
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Thanks for the complete response. I read the TT/SAE thread fairly regularly and just hadn't read of any lost packages or at least not very often at all.
This could be in part be due to us foreigners being something of a minority around here, especially those of us who can actually buy Twilight Time movies without issues . . .

Quote:
As small as they are an infrequent as lost packages are I bet they'd feel obligated do replace it esp if you are a long time repeat customer and it's not your 3rd lost package in a year. A first time large order from a PO Box(or equivalent) in Argentina declared lost aggressively would likely get turned down as a bit suspicious
It does make one wonder just how much loss smaller (and even bigger) companies are willing to build into their business model when it comes to shipping outside their country of origin, especially without tracking. They really have to trust that the person claiming that an unregistered parcel has gone missing is telling the truth. In that sense, I do understand Screen Archives' additional fee for Registered Mail and refusal to replace uninsured orders, and much like insurance the fee allows them to cover replacements while undoubtedly building a sizeable financial cushion from all the insured orders that DO make it through successfully. Still, for a lot of Canadian folks, the thought of those fees quickly kill any savings on smaller orders or sale items, especially on TT discs which rarely drop below $20 US a pop (present sale excepted, of course), so if they don't have border access or are leery of taking the risk, they can easily feel kinda stuck.

Experience taught me early on that the ideal situation would be to live in the United States, order from companies there, and have it shipped there, and while I can't really do the first one, the other two have proven remarkably easy over the years. I'd say it's even encouraged: drive around any U.S. border city, especially in Michigan or the New York/Niagara region and you'll see countless "parcel pick-up" locations such as this one (which is not actually one that I use, btw, but it's extremely popular with Toronto folks, including my girlfriend) that helpfully double as street addresses when it's not possible to ship to Canada (or to U.S. P.O. boxes). Sometimes these are dedicated warehouse-facilities, other times they're in the back of convenience stores or even in people's homes, so I'm guessing pretty much anyone can set up shop, and at $3 - $5 per average parcel held (and considerably more for larger stuff), it surely makes for a tidy profit. As a Canuck movie collector, I have to admit I wouldn't have the phenomenal library that I do if it wasn't for places like this and the USPS.

Spoilered purely in case of boredom:
Spoiler:
On a semi-related note, I ran into a sort of similar problem with Arrow UK last year. They ship parcels weighing up to 2kg (I believe) via Royal Mail, which usually gets to Canada (and presumably the U.S.?) without any additional fees, but parcels over 2kg apparently must be shipped via DHL (presumably for tracking). In one case, a Royal Mail parcel did go missing, and Arrow replaced it no questions asked, even though it surely impacted their bottom line and not mine. But when they ship via DHL, customs/brokerage fees are all but guaranteed to be piled on once the package gets here. I purchased a big bundle of Blu-rays in one of Arrow's 50% off web sales a couple years back, thought I'd saved some serious coin, and then got hit with $56 CDN in fees to release it once it got here. I inquired with both DHL and Arrow about doing a "return to sender" but that wasn't an option, so I ponied up. When I told their rep it might help if Arrow made it clear on their website that heavier overseas parcels would ship via DHL and very likely be hit with full duties/taxes/brokerage/whatever, she said they'd look into posting something, but I doubt anything ever came of it, and I've since made sure to build smaller orders during their sales to avoid them using DHL. On the positive side, the rep was kind enough to add Arrow Points to my account that exceeded the fees I had to pay. But in the end, much like with Screen Archives, I suppose they'd be perfectly within their rights to post a warning that lost packages shipped via Royal Mail will not be replaced unless an additional insurance fee is paid. I'm grateful that they haven't gone that route yet, obviously, and so far every other package I've ordered from them has arrived here free and clear. But you always wonder . . .
Old 08-29-16, 03:07 PM   #90
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like 'bundle' offerings SONG OF BERNADETTE and HIGH TIME are now out of stock.
Old 08-29-16, 04:42 PM   #91
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't find either title at TT or SAE. Seems like they're OOP, but strange that it wasn't announced at either TT's FB or their website.
Old 08-29-16, 06:56 PM   #92

Quote:
Can't find either title at TT or SAE. Seems like they're OOP, but strange that it wasn't announced at either TT's FB or their website.
I think they heard you...
29min ago on facebook:

Quote:
Just a heads-up that HIGH TIME and THE SONG OF BERNADETTE are now SOLD OUT. FIRST MEN IN THE MOON and JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG are going fast...
thanks as always for your fantastic support!
Old 08-29-16, 08:07 PM   #93

Quote:
TT website wouldn't have announced it since it's not been there for a long time , but there was some sort of notice either by email or on FB announcing the 100 then 20 mark. It must have jumped past 50 very fast.
Old 08-29-16, 08:30 PM   #94
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
When I lived in Canada, at least six packages vanished during that year.

One was several-hundred-dollars'-worth of irreplaceable fanzines, so I called to complain and try and at least get compensated. After half an hour of futile arguments/pleasing, the Canada Post representative told me in almost these exact terms that the only way to guarantee things not being lost, was not to have them sent via Canada Post. I was left speechless...
Old 08-29-16, 08:48 PM   #95
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Looks like 'bundle' offerings SONG OF BERNADETTE and HIGH TIME are now out of stock.
dunno about 'High Time' but the PQ on 'Song of Bernadette' is one of the worst of the Bluray world. Seriously, you didn't miss anything. I had the Fox Studio classics DVD ($3 from a Hastings sale) and missed nothing on that terrible BD disc. Not worth $10 at all.
Old 08-29-16, 08:53 PM   #96
Inane Thread Master

How's Sleepless in Seattle?
Old 08-29-16, 09:44 PM   #97
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
dunno about 'High Time' but the PQ on 'Song of Bernadette' is one of the worst of the Bluray world. Seriously, you didn't miss anything. I had the Fox Studio classics DVD ($3 from a Hastings sale) and missed nothing on that terrible BD disc. Not worth $10 at all.
It's worth $10 when you can flip it for $70! (btw, that seller's not me) . I picked up three of each of these two in the bundle sale, and two or three of all the others for good measure. As mentioned earlier, the Canadian resale values on TT discs -- even the ones still in print -- is robust, usually around double their standard price of $29.99. Don't know why, but hey, it's Canada -- we pay more for everything! At approx. $14 CDN per disc, shipped (to my U.S. address) the margins, especially now that they're out of print, go a long way to mitigating those instances where I may have overpaid a bit for TT products, such as I suppose I did when I bought Song of Bernadette in a previous $20 sale. Even then, though, I found the audio video quality reasonably acceptable, albeit not as good as it obviously could've been. Never bit on High Time because of the mixed critical reaction to the film itself rather than the disc, but at $10US I didn't mind giving it a try. My previous post was just to mention they're officially gone now, in case anyone's on the fence about the leftovers. Still contemplating getting another bundle from the remainder. It's not like there's a run on them, even though there probably should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
When I lived in Canada, at least six packages vanished during that year. One was several-hundred-dollars'-worth of irreplaceable fanzines, so I called to complain and try and at least get compensated. After half an hour of futile arguments/pleasing, the Canada Post representative told me in almost these exact terms that the only way to guarantee things not being lost, was not to have them sent via Canada Post. I was left speechless...
Good to know I'm not the only one! Although I kind of always knew I wasn't the only one!

Last edited by Brian T; 08-29-16 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 05:15 PM   #98

American Buffalo is now just $9.95
Old 09-05-16, 06:05 PM   #99
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
Damn, why did you have to mention it ? :-)
Old 09-06-16, 08:52 AM   #100
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
It's also included in their 7/$70 "bundles" section.

Got an email yesterday from Twilight Time's own site touting the sell-off of their remaining MINDWARP discs for $14.95 a pop, even though it can be had for $10 as part of SAE's bundle sale.