DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-22-16, 10:20 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Trevor
main Screen Archives Entertainment website - site wonky, use incognito or private modes

Print Wikipost

Old 06-22-16, 05:07 PM   #51
DVD Talk Gold Edition

re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

I just saw my mailman attempt two three pointers from the curb, with my two packages. Don't know if he was aiming at my palm trees inside but the net result was two crashing packages over the gate into my front walkway. What would it take to take 4 steps and gently drop it over the gate ? Laziness is such a virtue with USPS
Old 06-22-16, 06:36 PM   #52
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or more of a personal failing rather the personnel trait. I will say almost every postman I've had for the past 50 years has gone out of their way to be careful with any packages. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

The 2 Postmasters I have known well would never accept that sort of behaviour out of his/her troops -- both of them retired/ex-military and neither accepted excuses for
that sort of stuff. One of them did his own route surveys -- randomly picking 10% of households and would go door to door to ask about issues. If there were issues they generally
got fixed quickly. It worked both ways though as he didn;t allow customers (or outside admins) to mess with PO property, his delievery people, or be abusive to the clerks at the desk.

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-22-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-23-16, 07:44 AM   #53
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, for the most part USPS package people are pretty good. We have a parcel box but if they do have to deliver it to my porch, it's almost always in good shape with no issues. Now UPS guys....that's a whole different manner. I get concerned anytime I see the familiar tracking number. FedEx is kinda in the middle, no real issues.
Xbox Gamertag: Kedrix / Follow Me on Twitter: KedrixDotNet
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Old 06-23-16, 10:05 PM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

I've never had any issues with the people who bring my packages to my house, either USPS or UPS, but I do get damaged packages more often than I would like.

But most of the damage seems to come while the packages are changing distribution points when they're being sorted, loaded, and unloaded from trucks, and not from the drivers and mailmen. Also doesn't help that Amazon and others send things with minimal protection (flimsy boxes, bubble mailers).

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-30-16, 10:49 AM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

Went a little nuts before the sale ended, my first TT order in a year or so:

Drums Along the Mohawk
The Big Heat
Major Dundee
The Killer Elite
The Fantasticks
Sense and Sensibility
Man in the Dark
Remains of the Day
Support Your Local Gunfighter/Sheriff

It just took me about five tries to update my credit card and get my order submitted on their vintage-1998 website.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-01-16, 05:34 PM   #56

Is there a Screen Archives coupon active this weekend for used/out of print CDs? I'm on the road now and don't have access to my archived e-mail, and I can't find any mention of it on their site or Facebook page. --Peter
Old 07-01-16, 06:06 PM   #57
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
Is there a Screen Archives coupon active this weekend for used/out of print CDs? I'm on the road now and don't have access to my archived e-mail, and I can't find any mention of it on their site or Facebook page. --Peter
coupon code OOP2530 for 25% off
Old 08-16-16, 07:07 PM   #58

New sale on select Twilight Time releases from Screen Archives:

Screen Archives Entertainment We also buy used CDs
Follow us on Facebook
IT’S A PACKAGE STEAL!

Buy seven of any of the following Twilight Time titles for $70.00 and get a real deal. This is a one-time “package price” of seven titles until they are gone. It’s okay to mix and match — just buy seven of one or one each of these titles. You must have a minimum of seven titles in your cart, but you can also create as many “packages” as you like, as long as you buy seven titles at a time. Final price will be adjusted at checkout. Package deal will go live Wednesday, Augist 17th at 4 PM Eastern.
Old 08-16-16, 07:09 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, I'm very interested. I'll be watching tomorrow.
Old 08-16-16, 07:18 PM   #60
Inane Thread Master

I don't really need any TT's, but that is a sweet deal...
Old 08-16-16, 07:45 PM   #61
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet !! This is the ONLY way TT can move volume inventory. Hopefully there are some great titles..@ $10 a pop, this is the lowest ever TT pricing, isn't it ?

Update: Guess I got too excited. But the sale's ONLY on these titles below - buy seven of one or one each of these titles:

BELOVED INFIDEL
COVER GIRL
HIGH TIME
MINDWARP
PONY SOLDIER
THE DISAPPEARANCE
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
THE WAYWARD BUS
VIOLENT SATURDAY (DVD)
WOMAN OBSESSED (DVD)
THE KREMLIN LETTER (DVD)

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 08-16-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 08:00 PM   #62
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Sweet !! This is the ONLY way TT can move volume inventory. Hopefully there are some great titles..@ $10 a pop, this is the lowest ever TT pricing, isn't it ?
Not surprising, but pretty limited selection with a handful of mostly old stock -- some very good titles in the wrong genres to be popular. It does overlap with the Signed item and with the
American Buffalo selloff. Apparently MGM lost the rights and being forced to diverst which means any remaining TT.SAE stock will be destroyed after the end date.

Sleepless in Seattle is down to 40 remaining copies.
Judgement at Nuremberg somewhere b/w 50-100
Several other in the 100-300 range now.

August 16th - IT’S A TWILIGHT TIME PACKAGE STEAL! Buy seven of any of the following Twilight Time titles for $70.00 and get a real deal. BELOVED INFIDEL, COVER GIRL, HIGH TIME, MINDWARP, PONY SOLDIER, THE DISAPPEARANCE, THE KREMLIN LETTER (DVD), THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN, THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR, THE SONG OF BERNADETTE, THE SOUND AND THE FURY, THE WAYWARD BUS, VIOLENT SATURDAY (DVD), and WOMAN OBSESSED. This is a one-time “package price” of seven titles until they are gone. It’s okay to mix and match — just buy seven of one or one each of these titles. You must have a minimum of seven titles in your cart, but you can also create as many “packages” as you like, as long as you buy seven titles at a time. Final price will be adjusted at checkout. Package deal will go live Wednesday, August 17th at 4 PM Eastern.

August 15th - TWILIGHT TIME’S BLU-RAY OF DAVID MAMET’S AMERICAN BUFFALO is going out of print on September 12th - PRICE REDUCED TO $14.95 DON’T MISS OUT!

August 15th - A limited special offer from TWILIGHT TIME this Wednesday, August 17th at 4 PM Eastern time - an autographed copy of I COULD GO ON SINGING - signed by producer LAWRENCE TURMAN! This will be available to those customers who spend a minimum of $119.80, before shipping, on other TWILIGHT TIME product. You must add the signed edition to your cart and check out successfully with an order confirmation number to qualify. There will be a page just like the other titles to be added to your cart located on the homepage within the TWILIGHT TIME new releases box. This is a first come first serve offer, with a limit of one per customer. YOU MUST HAVE THE QUALIFYING TWILIGHT TIME ITEMS WITHIN YOUR CURRENT ORDER, NO PREVIOUS ORDERS OR FUTURE ORDERS QUALIFY.

Last edited by hariseldon; 08-16-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 09:02 PM   #63
g

Looks like their all time slowest sellers for ten dollars but still a good deal. Kremlin Letter was their first release I think. It's a real popular one.
Old 08-17-16, 01:17 AM   #64
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by g View Post
Kremlin Letter was their first release I think. It's a real popular one.
It's actually an excellent movie, but they practically drove people away from it with that strange sleeve imagery.
Old 08-17-16, 06:03 AM   #65
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like their all time slowest sellers for ten dollars but still a good deal. Kremlin Letter was their first release I think. It's a real popular one.

It certainly not unusual to put your slowest sellers on sale to move them. If they could have sold them for $20 or $30 a pop, they would have and these would have sold out already. This is a good old fashion clearance sale. The fact that these did not sell is not an indication of the quality of the films or of the transfers.
Old 08-17-16, 06:35 AM   #66

Whew! When I saw this post resurrected I was afraid I would be emptying my wallet again. I am thankful that none of these titles were on my radar. It's a great deal for those interested, but September is going to be an expensive month so I am relieved this is not a catalog wide Twilight Time sale.
Old 08-17-16, 07:21 AM   #67

If anybody needs an endorsement for THE DISAPPEARANCE, you got one here. It's an excellent movie and well worth the $20 I paid for it. Can't speak on the others though. There is no way I could cobble together 7 of those, even at $70. Currently, I'm just watching stock levels of Russia House and Hound of the Baskervilles, hoping for a sale but prepared to get both of them when necessary.
Xbox Gamertag: Kedrix / Follow Me on Twitter: KedrixDotNet
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Old 08-17-16, 10:19 AM   #68
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
If anybody needs an endorsement for THE DISAPPEARANCE, you got one here. It's an excellent movie and well worth the $20 I paid for it. Can't speak on the others though. There is no way I could cobble together 7 of those, even at $70. Currently, I'm just watching stock levels of Russia House and Hound of the Baskervilles, hoping for a sale but prepared to get both of them when necessary.
A lot of people are in the same with trying to find 7 they want. Either they don't want them or already have them. The main TT thread at bluray.com has a few posters trying to even get a group purchase going to

I really will be surprised if either Russia House of Hound of the Baskervilles sells out before the next 2 or 3 sales. If I had to guess it may be around Christmas/Jan like this year or at worst the Anniversary Sale next March/April, but there is almost plenty of warning about low stock items well before they sell out.

Many of the low stock items have been on that list for 12+ months and neither of those items are the style that tends to sell off quickly

There are about 3-4 of those I would put into the excellent film category and most of the rest in the very good rank and some with very good transfers. Only a couple of them I'd consider mediocre films nad a couple that have problematic transfer due to the original elements being in poor shape (or just plain missing). The 3 DVDs are all very good or better films -- Violent Saturday may be the best of the 3, but also has a Bluray with TT

Mindwarp is easily the worst of the films though it was never meant to be anything other than a a bizarre film -- even it I find incredibly entertaining, but it's made for a pretty narrow audience films,

Last edited by hariseldon; 08-17-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 10:33 AM   #69
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
If anybody needs an endorsement for THE DISAPPEARANCE, you got one here. It's an excellent movie and well worth the $20 I paid for it.
I'll second that, and not because it was shot and set (for a change) in Canada, either. I'd also push Cover Girl, Rains of Ranchipur and Song of Bernadette. I also grabbed Wayward Bus in the last sale (man . . .) but haven't watched it yet. Hoping to clean up on the rest of these, though, as most have been parked in my wish list for ages but I could never justify pulling the trigger sight unseen. Thankfully, resale values up here are excellent if they don't turn out to be keepers.

I suppose the only problem with a sale like this is it will probably have most of us watching those stock levels even more intently on the assumption that they might repeat a deal like this on the next batch of slow movers or license expirations or what have you.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-17-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 01:18 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
...I really will be surprised if either Russia House of Hound of the Baskervilles sells out before the next 2 or 3 sales. If I had to guess it may be around Christmas/Jan like this year or at worst the Anniversary Sale next March/April, but there is almost plenty of warning about low stock items well before they sell out.

Many of the low stock items have been on that list for 12+ months and neither of those items are the style that tends to sell off quickly...
They could have been smarter by offering a deal on the rest of the catalog titles when you bought at least one title or two from the group. I could put together a couple from that narrow list but there's certainly not seven of them that I want to own. Funny, I am also watching inventory levels on a few titles including "Russia House," and especially "Hound of the Baskervilles." I was sure that "John Carpenters Vampires" would disappear within just a few months but you can still grab it... The only one I may go ahead and order soon is "The Hound of the Baskervilles." Being among one of my favorite Hammer Films' productions, I would feel especially remorseful for missing out. However, it would probably be enough motivation to finally buy a region-free player. I've been thinking about doing it for awhile now. The Arrow release will probably be available for quite some time.

When and if "Moby Dick" is released, it's a day one purchase—not going to gamble on that title.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-17-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 01:52 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

The Song Of Bernadette is very moving for Catholics.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-17-16, 02:19 PM   #72
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Song Of Bernadette is very moving for Catholics.
And non Catholics and Agnostics and Wickens -- I count myself in none of those groups. I think it's just a great film and performance

While I do suspect that know it all 20 early somethings ( Y chromosomes esp) will have an issue with this now, but by the time they're 30 and 40 somethings maybe life will have knocked them down a bit to watch what is actually on screen and happening rather than what they think they know is going on.
Old 08-17-16, 02:40 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

The transfer itself is rather ordinary for The Song of Bernadette.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-17-16, 02:52 PM   #74
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure, but it's not a film that is very high on the restore from scratch list. For a WWII era lower priority film I suspect this is as good as it's likely to get maybe ever, but at least for $10 it's well worth it.

Cover Girl has more issues and should be a much higher priority film. Apparently the studio did find some better elements later and there may be a much improved presentation available though at this point whether we'll ever see it on Bluray is debatable at best.
Old 08-17-16, 03:06 PM   #75
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its live. For anyone ordering remember to change shipping to media mail to save a few bucks. Cover Girl is one of the Twilight Time titles that does not have an isolated score track.

You can order multiple copies of a film in order to reach 7 items. In case you have friends who you can order with or need a gift for someone.