Reload this Page >

Twilight Time $10 off Blu-ray sale - April 8-22,2016

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Twilight Time $10 off Blu-ray sale - April 8-22,2016

Old 04-20-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Twilight Time $10 off Blu-ray sale - April 8-22,2016

Hm, no sign of Purple Rose of Cairo or Radio Days. They must be sold out. I'm in for 1984, Love and Death, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, and Shadows and Fog.

I'm torn on this because I'm still wondering if we'll ever get a proper restoration/release of Woody Allen's body of work on Blu, but seeing as the only official releases of his old movies to date are Annie Hall, Manhattan, Sleepers, and Hannah and Her Sisters, I'm thinking the studio has simply given up on these catalog titles. They were great at putting out his entire collection on DVD but have totally abandoned him on Blu-Ray and most of these movies aren't streaming anywhere either. Is it weird that I feel like some frazzled and crazed old rare-jazz-record collector just hoping for some more frickin Woody Allen movies to be released? Crazy that a still-working master is considered obscure these days.
Old 04-20-16, 07:09 PM

I was all set to upgrade Love and Death but I rewatched my dvd and decided I was perfectly content with the PQ.
I did order A Man for All Seasons and Places in the Heart
Old 04-20-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

Just got an email from Twilight time saying they replenished the stock on the following titles:

Titus
The Front
Hawaii
Fate Is The Hunter
Bonjour Tristesse
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

I have seen a lot of people mention Hawaii. Is it that good? Never seen it or heard of it.
Old 04-20-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I have seen a lot of people mention Hawaii. Is it that good? Never seen it or heard of it.
Excellent movie, and the sequel's very good, too, though I'll have to get that in the next sale since it wasn't included in this one.

Probably worth noting that Twilight Time's email also notes that they've manufactured "the very last of our limited run" on those restocked titles.
Old 04-21-16, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

I wonder if SAE is still going to do Twilight movie sales or if the sales are only going to be held by Twilight Time's website now that they have one?
Old 04-21-16, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Hm, no sign of Purple Rose of Cairo or Radio Days. They must be sold out. I'm in for 1984, Love and Death, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, and Shadows and Fog.

For an unknown reason some titles including Radio Days, Purple Rose of Cairo, and The Way We Were are only available at Screen Archives site. Since they are not on the Twilight Time site, they are not on sale but they are available to purchase at full price.
When the sale was on the Screen Archives site they were included in the sale.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...DIO-DAYS-1987/
http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...OF-CAIRO-1985/

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...-WE-WERE-1973/

Last edited by Classic Films; 04-21-16 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-21-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
SAE inventory isn't the same as TT inventory.

As Twilight TIme reps have said in the past back when TCM was the main other seller -- SAE apparently has contracts for a certain number of copies of every title and those copies couldn't be sold on Amazon Marketplace, TCM, or apparently now twilighttimemovies.com unless someone can either buy back those copies from SAE or entice SAE in other ways to give back the rights to those numbers.
That would seem to explain why titles formerly on the "Going Fast" tab at twilighttimemovies.com and now seemingly sold out are still available at SAE, albeit at full price. I suspect Twilight Time having its own site now provides less motivation for SAE to run sales on the catalog. Perhaps SAE's primary "deals" going forward will be the autographed copies (such as this week's Harlock 3D) for those that are into such things?
Old 04-21-16, 04:05 PM

Aren't Twilight Time and Screen Archive the same company? I thought Twilight Time was the name Screen Archive gave to these limited edition blu rays . They then started a separate website just for the limited edition blu rays. Why would there be different inventories for the same company? That would be like the Warner Archive website having separate inventory from the Warner Archive section of the WBshop when Warner Archive had its own website.
Old 04-21-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

That's weird. I posted about Titus, but I no longer see it showing up. Anyway, I love the movie but have heard bad things on the transfer. Any opinions? Is it at least worth the upgrade? Such a visual title, it's a shame if it hasn't been handled well on Blu-ray.
Old 04-21-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Twilight Time Site has now activated their Flicker Alley listings, with discounts between $5 and $10. Retail prices are a fair bit higher than the TT discs, but the sale prices are on par with Flicker Alley's own very infrequent sales, where the discounts are generally only (slightly) better during pre-order periods. Not sure if these prices end when the TT sale does tomorrow. Guess we'll see. Lots of good stuff there, anyway.

No -- completely different entities though they have intertwined based on their history. I think some of the people may cross b/w the 2 companies (or some used to work for SAE).
TT cofounder Nick Redman's interview with HTF a few years ago gives some background into the connection with SAE in the first few paragraphs.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/comm...d-more.310943/

Last edited by Brian T; 04-21-16 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 07:00 AM

I guess what confuses me is if they are separate companies how did the sale switch from the SAE to TT website? Did Twilight Time give SAE a break on the wholesale cost of the disks for all disks SAE sold during the sale? Now has TT decided to run the sale themselves and not give SAE that discount?
Old 04-22-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you -- I knew I had read some excerpt from that interview before, but it was nice to be able to read it in full and get the information correct.
It also throws a blanket over all those folks who complained that TT changed the rules by reissuing some of those sold out titles. It was absolutely clear even in the beginning
that after 3 years that would be a possibility and those that said "They promised that 3000 copies would be it and they'd never make any more copies -- Fraud, liars ...."

Yeah, it's an interesting read, and the business model seems to have been pretty solid from the start, despite whatever expectations certain followers dreamed up. I suppose it did sting those who were only buying on spec rather than just to fill their own libraries.

On the subject of the current sale, I've been hovering over FATE IS THE HUNTER for a while now since they added it back to the list, but the listing for this title at SAE states that it includes the excellent documentary TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN in full 1080p on the Blu-ray, whereas the listing at the Twilight Time site makes no mention of this. Does anyone actually have this one? Is it a two-disc set, or is the documentary on the same disc as the movie? The TT site has the doc available in a DVD version for $9.99, but I'd rather have them both together in one package. I can't imagine they produced two different versions of this -- one with, one without the doc -- so I'll probably just grab it before the sale ends and takes my chances.

Incidentally, decent price on the Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals set at $20 off. It's well over 6 hours of films plus a decent book and documentary, all in an attractive Steelbook case. Don't think I've seen it any cheaper than that (same price I paid at FA's site when it came out). Also, the FA sale titles are mirrored on FA's own site as well.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-22-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Thank you -- I knew I had read some excerpt from that interview before, but it was nice to be able to read it in full and get the information correct.
It also throws a blanket over all those folks who complained that TT changed the rules by reissuing some of those sold out titles. It was absolutely clear even in the beginning
that after 3 years that would be a possibility and those that said "They promised that 3000 copies would be it and they'd never make any more copies -- Fraud, liars ...."
That's always been my biggest issue with the constant bitching about Twilight Time. Like them or not. I don't care. There's plenty to bitch about. Just get your information straight before you start bitching.
Old 04-22-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So at some point, they snuck "All The King's Men" into the sale! I almost missed it, but somebody pointed out that they were selling Flicker Alley discs, and when I went in I saw "All The King's Men" staring up at me.
Old 04-22-16, 10:53 AM
Banned

Fighting the desire to snatch up another couple of titles. My spending discipline has flown out the window the last few days. When "Hawaii" became available again I was gonna pounce but the reviews have been so negative regarding the condition of the film elements that I have decided to skip that title.
Old 04-22-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good to know. Thanks for the links. Guess I'll make one last order.

EDIT:

Final Order
- MAN FOR ALL SEASONS
- WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT
- FATE IS THE HUNTER

Barring a couple of brand new releases that weren't included in the sale, I've now got all the TT titles I've ever been interested in owning.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-22-16 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Also, the FA sale titles are mirrored on FA's own site as well.
Possibly even more -- I haven't looked that far into it, but I would check the FA site for anything you're interested in. Right now, the Mutual set is 33% off (same as TT's site), but the Essanay and Keystone are both 25% off ($45 and $60, respectively), which puts the former on point with Amazon (and as cheap as I can find it on ebay) and the latter a lot cheaper. Are they always priced like that?
Old 04-22-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered All The King's Men and A Man for All Seasons to upgrade my DVDs. $20 each plus S&H is a little steep for catalog titles, but considering the good deals I've gotten elsewhere, I won't complain too much.
Old 04-22-16, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
In for:

Harlock Space Pirate 3D
John Carpenter's Vampires
Mysterious Island
Shadows and Fog
Young Lions
Delivery arrived yesterday.
Old 04-25-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
For an unknown reason some titles including Radio Days, Purple Rose of Cairo, and The Way We Were are only available at Screen Archives site. Since they are not on the Twilight Time site, they are not on sale but they are available to purchase at full price.
When the sale was on the Screen Archives site they were included in the sale.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_...DIO-DAYS-1987/
http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...OF-CAIRO-1985/

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title...-WE-WERE-1973/
Thanks! I'm also finding Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeaners, and Purple Rose of Cairo.. My poor wallet.. Being a Woody Allen completest is gettin' pricey.
Old 04-28-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I was surprised to receive a $5 off coupon from Twilight Time yesterday. I was excited to receive it until I realized it had to be for an order of at least $50, and the order must be placed within the next three weeks. Ugh. So much for holding the coupon until the next sale.
Old 04-28-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Twilight Time's pricing model made more sense when they first arrived on the scene. I simply don't think they are competitive anymore after seeing labels like Olive Films and Kino Lorber issue dozens of very similiar deep catalog fare at much cheaper price points.
Old 04-29-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Twilight Time's pricing model made more sense when they first arrived on the scene. I simply don't think they are competitive anymore after seeing labels like Olive Films and Kino Lorber issue dozens of very similiar deep catalog fare at much cheaper price points.
I don't see how this matters. If TT has exclusive on title you want you'll buy it from them.
Old 04-29-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Unless you have very narrow and specific film tastes, there are plenty of similar movies being offered now at cheaper prices on Blu-ray. That wasn't true when Twilight Time first came around. They had the upper hand as the first mover in the Blu-ray market for under served, mostly niche catalog titles from Hollywood.

Outside of the handful of horror movies they've done, none of their releases have rabid followings. Their catalog mostly serves well-heeled movie collectors with wider interests that want to build a more thoughtful collection. There is far more direct competition for that type of Blu-ray customer in 2016.
Old 04-30-16, 06:14 AM

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't know about you, but I never thought 'I'd like to get this movie, but I'll just get a similar movie because it's cheaper'. Does anybody do that?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.