Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
re: Deals Thread for Cult, Genre and/or Non-Region A Blu-Rays

Originally Posted by thetao
My Network orders arrived on Saturday, and I collected them from the post office today. That's less than two weeks in transit, and astonishingly they shipped Royal Mail with signature required! Network's shipping cost is several pounds less than Amazon, which uses a budget shipper and charges extra for perks like a signature. I hadn't realized before, but Amazon really could be doing better if they wanted.

My Amazon order with Scared to Death arrived earlier in the week, but I haven't gotten to watch anything yet. I did get so far as to note that both the Network and Bach Film versions come from an "analog source"...which means the laserdisk. The original Lumivision DVD does not (of course), but has half the size/bitrate.
Weird; I got my shipping notice the same day as you, & no sign of the order yet. Maybe it takes over 7 days extra to get to the west coast.

Since I moved the post office is now a 19 mile round trip; I likely won't be back their until late next week. I was hoping to watch a couple tonight.......
Old 07-11-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still no sign of my order, & no reply to an email I sent them last weekend. If my order doesn't arrive by Friday (2 weeks later then Tao's) I'm going to get concerned.
Old 07-11-17, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that in the past, buyers have complained that Network's shipping notices are sometimes unconnected to when they actually ship. You might contact them to verify it really went out, in case something was unexpectedly backordered. I've never lost an international package, which I can't say about domestic buys, although an EBay UK order once took at least 9 weeks.
Old 07-12-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My #1 frustration is they didn't respond to the email I sent Saturday.

I will write them again if it doesn't arrive this week. Likely next po box trip will be Friday.
Old 07-13-17, 03:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

i got notifications and my set was received within 2 weeks of ordering. very impressive!
Downside is that the transfers are disappointing -to say the least. After the prisoner (which i think is near-reference quality PQ - it blows me away every time I look at it) I was expecting some kind of restoration. Rome Express is horrible - every scene has excessive dirt, scratch, tears, etc. I have Alpha Video DVDs that look better than this. And they include a 21 page booklet explaining the importance of the film. You think that kind of film would have had SOME kind of treatment.

The Importance of Being Ernest and Flying Deuces were better - but only an 'okay for blu-ray' kind of PQ - nothing to get too excited about.

So as far as transfers go, buyer beware and hope your movies have better PQ than mine.

Note: I haven't had a chance to look at "odd man out" which they claim has been restored. Hopefully that will be a decent viewing
Old 07-13-17, 04:05 PM

on a semi-related note: I saw that they have some blu-ray discs of selected TV series episodes restored to high definition. These include danger man and captain scarlet! if they release entire box sets and these get "the prisoner" PQ treatment, that would be awesome....

Last edited by cinemaman; 07-13-17 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaman
i got notifications and my set was received within 2 weeks of ordering. very impressive!
Downside is that the transfers are disappointing -to say the least. After the prisoner (which i think is near-reference quality PQ - it blows me away every time I look at it) I was expecting some kind of restoration. Rome Express is horrible - every scene has excessive dirt, scratch, tears, etc. I have Alpha Video DVDs that look better than this. And they include a 21 page booklet explaining the importance of the film. You think that kind of film would have had SOME kind of treatment.

The Importance of Being Ernest and Flying Deuces were better - but only an 'okay for blu-ray' kind of PQ - nothing to get too excited about.

So as far as transfers go, buyer beware and hope your movies have better PQ than mine.

Note: I haven't had a chance to look at "odd man out" which they claim has been restored. Hopefully that will be a decent viewing
I ordered the Rome Express br (if it EVER arrives). Sad to hear that it's subpar.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 07-13-17 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 05:39 PM

perhaps I am being overly harsh on Rome Express. Going from the Prisoner (which is the last Network BD I watched) to that was quite the jolt.. I really enjoyed the movie, btw, so the quality in some scenes really irked me. But the others are okay and I am looking forward to the Odd Man Out. it seems that their PQ has a wide range. I have some of their hitchcock films - not great either, but definitely watchable (and no other versions out of sabatoge and young and innocent as far as I know. So Network or nothing for those). As we know, just because something is on Blu-ray doesn't mean it has high def transfers - it just means it is on blu-ray!!

Hope you enjoy the movie (when it comes!)
Old 07-14-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Network Order Finally arrived today. Am curious to see how the quality is (I have a few to watch!)
Old 07-14-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

perhaps I am being overly harsh on Rome Express. Going from the Prisoner (which is the last Network BD I watched) to that was quite the jolt.. I really enjoyed the movie, btw, so the quality in some scenes really irked me. But the others are okay and I am looking forward to the Odd Man Out. it seems that their PQ has a wide range. I have some of their hitchcock films - not great either, but definitely watchable (and no other versions out of sabatoge and young and innocent as far as I know. So Network or nothing for those). As we know, just because something is on Blu-ray doesn't mean it has high def transfers - it just means it is on blu-ray!!

Hope you enjoy the movie (when it comes!)
Watching Times Square (DVD) Really disappointed in the picture quality (pixelated); especially for a relatively modern movie.

Re Rome Express: I have the VCI dvd. I am really hoping this blu is better!
Old 07-15-17, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been watching the Network blu-ray of The Ghoul. Truthfully, I am a bit disappointed; based on a whopping 2 films, Network seems so far to have some problems with Contrast.

That said, I compared the NW br with the USA MGM DVD (up-sampled). The nw is better, but only slightly. I expected a much larger improvement. I'd only recommend this if you don't already own the MGM dvd.

Playback gear is a region free Oppo 95 & a 2k 55" Vizio both of which I've been very happy with.
Old 07-15-17, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One other comment on the Network order:

The "Hit & Miss" TV Series is excellent so far (although a bit odd) and was likely THE bargain of the order at 3.70 pounds for a 2 br set.

This one is also definitely full hi def quality.
Old 07-18-17, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I compared Rome Express to the USA VCI DVD. Despite the scratches, the Network wins hands down. The VCI has a lot less scratching, but it's also a really soft 16 mm (or possibly 8 mm) print. Very little detail in the picture.

So far, only the 1st 2 I watched (ironically) were subpar. (Times Square DVD was very poor quality & though it was slightly better than the USA MGM DVD The Ghoul was a little disappointing.)

I still have 3 dvd's to watch from the order.
Old 07-19-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I didn't see it mentioned here, but Arrow Video is having a sale that just started today. Sale ends July 31.

I'm debating whether I'm going to place an order.
Old 07-19-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I didn't see it mentioned here, but Arrow Video is having a sale that just started today. Sale ends July 31.

The Fassbinder's on blu for 8 pounds are really tempting...... I am so freaking broke.

It looks like shipping gets more reasonable with the more one purchases. Other than the Fassbinder Sullivan's Travels at 5 pounds on br is a good deal. Anyone have a comparison to the Criterion?

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 07-19-17 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang

darn it, didn't need this. just purchased 'Too Late For Tears' and 'Woman on the Run' from Amazon.uk for £12.53 each...its only £7.99 in this sale :-(. Oh well, you can't win them all. BTW, both these titles are Region A and B friendly
Old 07-19-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
darn it, didn't need this. just purchased 'Too Late For Tears' and 'Woman on the Run' from Amazon.uk for £12.53 each...its only £7.99 in this sale :-(. Oh well, you can't win them all. BTW, both these titles are Region A and B friendly
Those both look great. I wish I had some $'s, I could easily spend $100+ here.
Old 07-20-17, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Over the past few months I bought four Arrow titles now on sale, via other retailers. I indulged in an Arrow sale last year and the selection was spotty, so perhaps that's why I didn't put much emphasis on doing it again. Keep in mind that Arrow doesn't appear to deduct VAT, so your £12.53 titles were likely £10.44 afterwards, which should take away some of the sting.
Old 07-20-17, 08:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought Sullivan's Travels compared nicely to the Criterion - with the supplements being an improvement. The booklet was certainly an improvement over the Criterion (too many Criterion booklets are more essay-driven with writers trying to show off their grammar skills rather than imparting meaningful facts about a film). --Peter
Old 07-20-17, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by thetao
Over the past few months I bought four Arrow titles now on sale, via other retailers. I indulged in an Arrow sale last year and the selection was spotty, so perhaps that's why I didn't put much emphasis on doing it again. Keep in mind that Arrow doesn't appear to deduct VAT, so your £12.53 titles were likely £10.44 afterwards, which should take away some of the sting.
that is true. Also was part of a 8 title Amazon.uk order with VAT deducted on each and total S/H being £6.50. S/H at Arrow was £4.26 for just 2 titles and increases unless your purchase price hits £50 upon which S/H is free, which isn't the case with Amazon - you really can't win them all ☺
Old 07-20-17, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Those both look great. I wish I had some $'s, I could easily spend $100+ here.
amen to that. easily have 9 films I want.....hoping they have a similar sale later when I have the $...
Old 07-21-17, 01:07 PM

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/me...th-anniversary

Limited edition re-release of Metropolis; free worldwide shipping and limited to just 2,000 copies.

Peter
Old 07-21-17, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite
https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/me...th-anniversary

Limited edition re-release of Metropolis; free worldwide shipping and limited to just 2,000 copies.

Peter
The Arrow LE 'disease' seems to be afflicting every distributor :-). Looking at the feature list, does anyone see a reason to get this (beyond the fancy packaging and fluff) if you already have the two Region A Kino releases ? Am guessing this Eureka edition will be Region B
Old 08-15-17, 08:32 AM

https://www.zavvi.com/offers/arrow-s...dget_id=707065

Zaavi offer on Arrow blu-rays....but keep in mind Diabolik in the USA is supposedly gearing up for an Arrow sale.

Peter
Old 08-17-17, 10:07 AM

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/news/e...edium=referral

Arrow has their own sale going on - Free worldwide shipping.

Peter

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.