Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

X-Files on Blu Ray on sale during NY ComicCon

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: X-Files on Blu Ray on sale during NY ComicCon

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You should be able to beat this price at Barnes & Noble if you are a member and they carry this title in-store.

$300 less 40% sale(B&N always has a 40% off sale in December)

$180 less 10% member discount

$162 less member % coupon(there are always 20% coupons, but B&N will sometimes have bigger coupons during the holiday season)

$129.60(with a 20% member coupon) less $5 off of $50 coupon

$124.60 plus tax

I could also see this set hitting the $100 mark like the Bond set did. Since I have all 9 seasons on DVD, I will wait for the $100 price point to upgrade.
Almost everyone gets charged tax at Barnes & Noble, while it seems that Foxconnect doesn't charge tax for most states. It probably will end up a little cheaper at Barnes & Noble but I am not worrying about the difference.
Old 10-10-15, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Yeah, I bet it stays at $150. I was just trying to see why the OP thought that was a limited price that was only good through NY ComicCon.

The Digital Bites website also mentions the $150 price is for this weekend only.

Quote:
"As expected, Fox’s The X-Files: The Complete Series Blu-ray has been officially announced and is now back up on Fox Connect and open for pre-orders. As we reported before, SRP is $299 and street date is 12/8. But just for New York Comic-Con weekend, the price has been lowered to just $150!"

I guess we will know for sure by Monday if the price goes up.
Old 10-10-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You did? I'm not seeing them... I want to make sure this set includes ALL of the DVD special features from the ORIGINAL season releases. IIRC the slimmer releases did not include one of the bonus discs.
Even if the official specs part of the press release were added they are either incomplete (wouldn't be the first time) or they are proof some features were dropped.

Just hold out until the discs have hit store shelves and read the feedback from those that purchased the final product. It's not like these half price sales on this set are going to be rare. This is the perfect thing for somebody like Costco or Best But to advertise as being on some big 50-60% off sale right before the big day. Costco almost always has had big box set sales around the holidays.
Old 10-10-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
It's all about the price you're happy with for an item you want and $150 is an extremely good price for a brand new, first time released in HD 9000 minute series (easily 30-50% less compared to the US Complete STTNG 7 season series even years into release).

Last year with the similar Batman LE sets -- B&N best deals were around $95-110 after tax (12-15% less if you account for extra GC deals) where the best other good deals were in the $135-160 range -- both groups were happy with what they bought and the price difference wasn't an issue for most folks. I could easily see a similar price differential with the XFiles set.

If you're not the type who loses enjoyment over purchases when you find out someone paid less than you did then go for the Bird in the Hand very good deal -- unfortunately there seem to be a group of folks around deals forums who just can't stand to know they paid a penny above Lowest Price Ever even if it's 1 year later and they seem to take it as a personal insult to their ego

Even less if you were smart enough to import.

Old 10-10-15, 04:59 PM

I may be wrong but with a December 8 release date it seems this set is being released too late for a big blowout sale for this Christmas. It's being released after Black Friday and it seems to be too new for a 60% off sale for Christmas. I am thinking about it being unusual for Costco to get a big set and offering say $50 instant off a week after they first put it out. Of course this wouldn't apply to B&N, whose end of year sale is on all released blu rays. With B&N you have to worry that it is available in store though I think they still do the ship to home thing where you order it in the store and they ship home and you still get the membership discount. I did that recently during their 20% off with membership weekend on some out of stock items.
Old 10-10-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't be the first time Costco had newly released catalog box sets really cheap close to the day itself. I also wonder what their normal price for this will be even before a sale. Certainly not $300. Many years ago I seem to remember having that poorly packaged complete series DVD set far cheaper than anybody else.
Old 10-11-15, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You should be able to beat this price at Barnes & Noble if you are a member and they carry this title in-store.

$300 less 40% sale(B&N always has a 40% off sale in December)

$180 less 10% member discount

$162 less member % coupon(there are always 20% coupons, but B&N will sometimes have bigger coupons during the holiday season)

$129.60(with a 20% member coupon) less $5 off of $50 coupon

$124.60 plus tax

I could also see this set hitting the $100 mark like the Bond set did. Since I have all 9 seasons on DVD, I will wait for the $100 price point to upgrade.

Agreed

I just spent 3 months watching every ep agian on DVD and honestly I bet the BD's will not be stellar and not worth the double dip, for me atleast....
Old 10-11-15, 07:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The Netflix offering would say otherwise. It isn't 4:3, but the picture has been substantially upgraded. I'm fairly certain the blu's will look pretty damn good. And since I never bought them on DVD, not a double dip for me.
Old 10-11-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Edit: Wrong Thread.
Old 10-11-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I can't speak for everybody financially, but I can't see how $150 is a bad price for this set. Considering that the series is nine seasons and this is a complete set I think the price is fantastic. Yeah you might get it lower priced under the right circumstances but the fact its being offered for pre-order this low to begin with is a good deal.
And I remember the DVD season sets were $100 a pop when they first got released.
Old 10-12-15, 07:56 AM

And the price at Fox Connect is now $225. So yeah the $150 price was good for NY Comic Con and yes the price will go down again, it always does.
Old 11-05-15, 04:42 PM
Cool New Member

I missed the detail about the NY Comicon special price and went to order 2 days too late.

I am holding out for $150 or less. I am sure that someone (even FoxConnect) will run another special before release date.
Old 11-08-15, 05:11 PM

FoxConnect now has all 9 original seasons listed individually, each at just $18.99.

While these sets won't be eligible for the upcoming Thanksgiving 50% off Flash sale, they should be eligible for any Flash sales next year (I think March was the first post-Christmas Flash sale this year, followed by one in May or June).

Even at the regular FoxConnect price, all 9 seasons currently cost only $170.91 -- less than the current FoxConnect price of $225 for the S1-S9 box (but not as cheap as the $150 price from last month).

Over 2 50% off Flash sales next year, you could purchase S1-S5 for $47.48, then S5-S9 for $37.98 (actually, by then you probably get S10 as well).
Old 11-08-15, 07:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Makes me all the happier I got the series set for $150.
Old 11-09-15, 11:31 AM

Has it been confirmed that there will be a 50% off Flash sale for Thanksgiving or is it just assumed based on the last few years?

There was no mention of the X Files box set in the last Costco Connections magazine. Doesn't mean they won't get it. As Costco usually pulls their big box sets out of stores after Christmas there may not be enough time for them to sell it this Christmas. Since the individual season sets are being released at the same time I would guess Costco would sell them since they would have a longer shelf life.

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-09-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-09-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Costco doesn't have a great relationship with Fox like they do with WB and Universal. Though the complete X-Files set is right up their favored demo's alley- rich, white and suburban shoppers looking for an expensive Christmas gift.
Old 11-09-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only assume they will have the X-Files set eventually because they have carried the X-Files each time they have been available before. Originally in the fat DVD season sets, then in the thin DVD sets, in the Complete series, box, and in the Mythology packs. It's like the buyers really like The X-Files!
Old 11-12-15, 07:16 AM

FoxConnect is having a 50% off flash sale today only (code is PUMPKIN). The maximum value of product in the cart before discount is $150.

All 9 individual seasons of The X-Files are eligible for the sale ($9.50 per season). Note that you can fit a maximum of 7 seasons in one order.
Old 11-12-15, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great deal after missing the $150 complete series sale. All 9 seasons for $85.50 shipped. Hope it sticks.
Old 11-12-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no idea why Fox is cutting the price so cheaply on these X-Files sets. Virtually no one will buy the complete set with the seasons that cheap.
Old 11-12-15, 03:08 PM

Wow...I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order for $150 for the entire set and go the route of ordering the individual seasons.

Wonder if there's anything extra you get with the complete series box set that you don't get with the individual seasons?
Old 11-12-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
Wow...I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order for $150 for the entire set and go the route of ordering the individual seasons.

Wonder if there's anything extra you get with the complete series box set that you don't get with the individual seasons?
If there is, Fox hasn't released any information about it.
Old 11-12-15, 03:32 PM

I ordered the x-files sets. I tend to not watch the supplemental stuff anyway except for the occasional deleted scenes so if you are like me the $9 individual sets is the way to go.

It only let me use the code once. I tried to place a second order for the remaining sets and it said I had exceeded coupon use. Luckily I had a second account from previous sales so I used that one.
Old 11-12-15, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by madmod20061
I ordered the x-files sets. I tend to not watch the supplemental stuff anyway except for the occasional deleted scenes so if you are like me the $9 individual sets is the way to go.

It only let me use the code once. I tried to place a second order for the remaining sets and it said I had exceeded coupon use. Luckily I had a second account from previous sales so I used that one.
I just ordered all 9 individual sets as 2 orders and it let me use the "PUMPKIN" code twice. Maybe they just made that change? I figure they won't charge until the order ships so I'll keep both orders for the individual sets and the complete one and see if there will be any extras includes with the boxed set.....but even if there is I don't think it will be worth the extra $50.
Old 11-12-15, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Setzer
I just ordered all 9 individual sets as 2 orders and it let me use the "PUMPKIN" code twice. Maybe they just made that change? I figure they won't charge until the order ships so I'll keep both orders for the individual sets and the complete one and see if there will be any extras includes with the boxed set.....but even if there is I don't think it will be worth the extra $50.
It kicked me out of my shopping cart once so maybe that's what caused it to deny my second order.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.