Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection $22.99

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection $22.99

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Back to In Store Pickup only at Fry's. Hopefully it reverts back again at a time I can pull the trigger.
It's back in stock at my nearby stores and is also available for shipping.
Old 08-11-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
An $87 price match is extreme YMMV.

In my experience anything that takes well over 50% off the sticker price comes with some hesitancy.
I would agree for the most part.. except.. I called the 1-800 number for BB to get a clarification of what was on the list and if there was a "discretion" ..

They told me there is no discretion and next time it happens to call while still in the store.. because the store should have honored it. (doubt I will do that as I have a good relationship with my local store)...

The operator then attempted a pricematch on via online ordering.. but since the 800# pm is for .com to .com and the set was in store only, they couldn't do it over the phone.. they did tell me they would pm if frys.com were shipping the set ... as they had done for others earlier in the day and the day before.. when it was still shipping from frys..

oh well.. no worries... I am out a little gas and time...
Old 08-11-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled off the impossible. I actually got BB to pricematch, and got the GC. I tried two stores earlier, and the manager refused the PM. I didn't even try to argue, since we have no Frys locally. The closest one is 95 miles away. I laughed though, cuz one of them actually took my phone, added it to the cart, and started the checkout process to see if it was even possible to place the order. He seemed surprised that he could. And then he said "well, you wouldn't drive 95 miles to get this." I said "actually, I just might." And I really was considering it... He agreed to speak to the store manager, to see if he'd approve it. I figured he wouldn't, so it was no surprise when I got shot down...

Anyway, the one that worked was due to the manager not paying attention to what he was approving. The cashier just said "he's pricematching Frys", he entered his code, and that was that. I was smart enough to add another item to the order, so the gift card part didn't seem as obvious. But I wasn't smart enough to grab a TV related item. So the GC is for $22.99 instead of $25, but that's fine. I actually paid with a different gift card, so the set was essentially free. I just paid $1.29 in tax. Bargain of the year for me!!! Thanks, OP!
Old 08-13-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The are now allowing orders for shipment after a period of it being off Frys site again. I don't have enough confidence of my local BB allowing a price match, so I just went for ordering it from Frys along with some other discs they have on sale now.
Old 08-13-15, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm just chancing it with the shipping option. Best Buy's pricematch lingo says unless it's once of the retailers specified, they can't guarantee matching. And Fry's isn't one of the retailers. And I don't have the patience to deal with the Best Buy hoard of idiots.
Old 08-13-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Still showing no shipping for me once I go to my cart.
Old 08-13-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Still showing no shipping for me once I go to my cart.
Just checked again and it's back to In Store Only (with no local stock) for me as well. The status seems to change multiple times a day. Yesterday I had it show available at the local Frys location for pick up. By the time I could finish checking out (wanted to add the same on sale items I eventually ordered for shipment) the status of Battlestar had went back to unavailable.
Old 08-14-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I was just able to place a online order! $29.98 total (slow boat shipping) with a "receive by Tues., Sept. 8th"

I've not seen it mentioned here so I'll throw this out:

There is missing footage during the episode, "The Magnificent Warriors", on disc 3 of the widescreen version on both the Remastered Collection and The Definitive Collection (what Frys is offering). The issue is being fixed and you can get a replacement disc by emailing:
[email protected].

You should include:
"Battlestar Galactica Classic Collection: BD" in the subject line of the email

The following text in the body of the email:
"I would like to receive a replacement disc for (Disc 3, Episode "The Magnificent Warriors")."

Within 24-48 hours you should receive a response asking for your mailing address (United States or Canada).
Universal will send a postage-paid envelope for you to mail in your disc 3 with the missing footage.
2-3 weeks after you mail your disc in you should receive a replacement disc with the complete episode.

THIS ONLY EFFECTS THE WS COPY. The FS copy has no issues.

Information from our friends at TVShowsonDVD.com.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-14-15 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 05:20 PM
Banned by request

Yeah....but will they honor it? I have an est received date of 9/4. Plenty of time to have them cancel. But I am hoping for a shipping confirmation.

EDIT: Just saw a credit card charge from Fry's. So they charged it. We shall see if it ships.

Last edited by E Unit; 08-14-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Same here. While it's not firm yet, hariseldon's update is promising.
Old 08-14-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Any other good deals to throw in to get free shipping?
Old 08-14-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
There are many 2nd release copies now being sold with already corrected discs. Apparently the corrected set has a yellow UPC sticker on it instead of the the white so maybe best of both worlds (yeah that's the wrong series, but what do you expect from me).
Yeah, Best Buy has both on the floor. I exchanged my white for yellow.
Old 08-14-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hariseldon
There are many 2nd release copies now being sold with already corrected discs. Apparently the corrected set has a yellow UPC sticker on it instead of the the white so maybe best of both worlds (yeah that's the wrong series, but what do you expect from me).
Cool! I didn't know that so if it actually ships I'll just hold off to see if a exchange is necessary. Since it's on BO I'd like to think it'll be a corrected version.
Old 08-14-15, 08:30 PM
Banned by request

Well, I just got a UPS shipping confirmation. Looks like my set is coming.
Old 08-14-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Congrats. It's a hell of a nice set.
Old 08-14-15, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Just got my tracking number and it shows the transit data.
Old 08-14-15, 11:02 PM

I ordered today around 4 pm EST with some $1 blu-rays for free shipping and I already have a tracking number.
Old 08-15-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my shipping notice as well. Thanks OP.
Old 08-15-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my shipping notice as well. Thanks OP. Can't believe they were letting this go so cheaply. Figured I would never upgrade my DVD set because the prices were so high.

If anybody is interested in the widescreen discs of both series, or the movie dsic, let me know via PM. I'm only keeping the original FF discs from this set.
Old 08-15-15, 09:30 AM
Banned

Glad a number of you have been able to score this deal. I almost ordered a second copy yesterday while it was briefly available again but resisted the impulse to turn a measly profit. I'm just happy to have snagged one. I gotta say, after watching a few episodes, its pretty clear that some things are better left to memory. I'm glad I own it for nostalgia reasons, but it is pretty weak overall with repetitive special effects, poor writing and hammy acting. It's amazing how much better Star Trek TOS holds up on repeated viewings. Since this set cost me a whopping $2, I'm not complaining, but there really is no need to watch the widescreen versions. As many have already noted, the fullscreen versions look far better, My suspicion is that these sets are being quietly closed out by Frys Electronics just like much of Universal's Blu-ray inventory. Perhaps they will also appear during Black Friday deals.

On a side note, I picked up the Chris Evans film, "Puncture" at Frys Electronics for $1 a couple of weeks ago. Don't hesitate picking this one up on the cheap. It was a damn good film.
Old 08-15-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Any other good deals to throw in to get free shipping?
Check the Fry's thread. Or look at Fry's weekly and daily ads for non-movie items on sale.
Old 08-15-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Is Fry's reliable? I placed an order last night and first tried using a Chase card and I got a fraud alert email. They didn't charge that card because it was coming back invalid but I used another (prior to seeing the email from Chase) and that one has a temporary authorization. I sent a cancellation request because I was a bit leery but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I've never used Fry's but I've always thought they seem pretty reputable from various people I've seen talk about them.
Old 08-15-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Is Fry's reliable? I placed an order last night and first tried using a Chase card and I got a fraud alert email. They didn't charge that card because it was coming back invalid but I used another (prior to seeing the email from Chase) and that one has a temporary authorization. I sent a cancellation request because I was a bit leery but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I've never used Fry's but I've always thought they seem pretty reputable from various people I've seen talk about them.
Fry's is absolutely a legit retailer. They have stores here in Southern California.
Old 08-15-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Fry's is absolutely a legit retailer. They have stores here in Southern California.
I'm in South Dakota and have never been to one. I don't think there are even any close by at all. Not really sure what set off that alert unless they thought with them being west coast based that someone obtained my information somehow.
Old 08-15-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm in South Dakota and have never been to one. I don't think there are even any close by at all. Not really sure what set off that alert unless they thought with them being west coast based that someone obtained my information somehow.
Fry's is a chain like Best Buy, though they don't have anywhere near the number of stores BB does. I think they're generally located in suburban/upscale areas.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.