Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Arrow Video March Sale 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Arrow Video March Sale 2015

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Remember that international orders over £50 are eligible for free shipping.
I bought a single BD on one order and it had free shipping as well
Old 08-31-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

If you prefer Westerns like Day of Anger, consider Cemetery Without Crosses. It was made by a Frenchman so it has a different sensibility than most spaghetti westerns. Arrow's new transfer for it isn't quite as impressive, the film elements aren't in the same kind of shape. It does have Scott Walker's first foray into making songs for film.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/08/05/ceme...lu-ray-review/

Island of Death is a sleazy Greek sexploitation flick. It was made as a European answer to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/06/12/isla...lu-ray-review/

Arrow's version of Rollerball is very good with a solid-looking film transfer. It is locked to Region B. You really have to do your research with Arrow's locking for each disc.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/05/19/roll...lu-ray-review/
Old 08-31-15, 08:24 PM

Before anyone orders 'The Bicycle Thieves', check this user review out:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bicycl...7/#UserReviews
Old 09-01-15, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVDBeaver screencaps of Bicycle Thieves
Old 09-01-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
HAD to get 'Day of Anger'...HAD to...been tired of waiting for it to fall under $20 in the US. The UK edition's tested for Region A and B. And best of all only $12.53...on a mission to compile a 'Lee Van Cleef' BD collection

Damn it, got the following as well - its been an expensive month so far:
Lady Snowblood 1&2
Massacre Gun [Limited Edition]
Rabid Dogs / Kidnapped
The Fury
The Train (almost ended up getting the Kino DVD as TT's limited edition had run out. glad I waited)
Phantom of the Paradise [Steelbook]
Yes, it has been an EXPENSIVE month. Umbrella sale, and went a little nuts on the Shout 'sale' this time around. Ordered most of the new US titles and preordered Happiness of the K.
Old 09-01-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Ugh. I really want to take advantage of this sale, but I'm still not all region. I really need to figure out the cheapest way to go all region so I don't keep missing out on these releases.
Old 09-01-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Ugh. I really want to take advantage of this sale, but I'm still not all region. I really need to figure out the cheapest way to go all region so I don't keep missing out on these releases.
Do you have a Panasonic or Pioneer (I think) bluray player? These Arrow blurays are easily unlockable/hackable with a simple command from the remote control?
Old 09-01-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I am in the same boat.

Their upcoming Hellraiser trilogy release may actually finally push me to get an all region BD player. I wish there was an easy way to make your PS3 or Xbox1 region free but I can't seem to find any way to do that. Even the region free players I have been looking at all have to be modded by outside parties (I don;t know enough about this stuff to do it myself) and are either risky (a firmware update may erase your region-free capability) or are expensive (Oppo players).
Old 09-01-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Arrow's version of Coffy has a solid film transfer and nice bonus features. Probably one of the best Blaxploitation films. This is one of the films that first made Pam Grier a star.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/06/26/coff...lu-ray-review/
Old 09-02-15, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I wish there was an easy way to make your PS3 or Xbox1 region free but I can't seem to find any way to do that. Even the region free players I have been looking at all have to be modded by outside parties (I don;t know enough about this stuff to do it myself) and are either risky (a firmware update may erase your region-free capability) or are expensive (Oppo players).
It can be done cheaply (compared to buying an Oppo), but it depends on how much work you want to put in. I'll spoiler the rest since it's not sale-related:

Spoiler:

Some backstory: I originally bought an Insignia player which had the advantage of being cheap and multi-region with the press of a few keys, but the major disadvantage was that it was slow to turn on, slow to read discs, prone to freezeups, etc. After another round of frustration, I decided to invest in a media server and haven't looked back. I can stream directly to my TV with uncompressed audio/video and not have to worry about menus, previews, changing remote codes, discs not reading, changing discs, quality degrading (ie, streaming over the net), etc. I have access to my entire movie/TV library (plus disc extras) in under a minute and best of all, since I've digitized all my discs, region codes do not exist.

However--since I have many discs I require a lot of storage...I would say I've sunk almost $2,500 into the servers+hard drives; I wouldn't expect you to spend that much. Since you have a PS3/XBox 1, they should have built-in media players; so from that point on, all you need is:

* An external hard drive (2TB models can be found for $100)
* A Blu-ray drive (if you don't have one on your PC, internal/external ones range from $40 - $60)
* A piece of software I can't name as it's a violation of forum rules, but can be found with a simple Google search (and will run you $50 for a permanent license)

One method: use program to read the disc and convert to digital files, place files on external drive, plug external drive into console, load up media player, enjoy!

Another method: if you want to do some research (there are several tutorials out there), you can install some apps, convert your Xbox/PS3 into a media server and just stream directly from your PC's hard drive (thus eliminating the need for an external one).

Depending on what hardware you have and what streaming method you choose, you can go multi-region from $50 to $200.

This all requires some work and some research, but once you get past the initial setup, the rest should be a breeze.

Oh, and I decided to get Happiness of the Katakuris, Coffy, Blood and Black Lace and Hound of the Baskervilles, because saving money is for losers.
Old 09-02-15, 01:03 AM

people, look up ebay for cheap Panasonic BD players - there are tons of used or B stock players available for a song. Here's one with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DM...-/351497495584

Yesterday I even saw a seller selling some B stock with free shipping for under $30 from Florida.

I have a BDT110 which I tested y'day with the remote control trick on all my Arrow region B discs. Everyone played like a champ. This is possibly your cheapest way to enjoy region coded discs from around the world. With the Euro almost on parity with U$D, its a shame if you won't take advantage of some phenomenally priced (and unavailable in the US) discs from Europe.

Also, before I knew of the Panasonic trick, I bought a modded Sony multi region BD player from this place about 1.5 yrs ago (had I known about the Panny trick, wouldn't have spent $109 on this):
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...y-players.html
Old 09-02-15, 09:29 AM
Cool New Member

Do they only accept Paypal as a payment method? Looks like it...
Old 09-02-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cosmo99
Do they only accept Paypal as a payment method? Looks like it...
They do (at least for the US, don't know about overseas), but you don't need to be a member to use the service--I'm not signed up with them. There should be an option during checkout to use Paypal as a guest where you just enter your payment info; I've ordered from Arrow multiple times using this method, never had a problem.
Old 09-03-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I forgot to mention Contamination, which includes Arrow Video's first slipcover. It is also coded for both Regions A and B. It's a decent b-movie that crosses Alien with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/07/07/cont...lu-ray-review/
Old 09-03-15, 02:30 AM
NMA

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I forgot to mention Contamination, which includes Arrow Video's first slipcover. It is also coded for both Regions A and B. It's a decent b-movie that crosses Alien with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/07/07/cont...lu-ray-review/
Contamination is not the first slipcover release of Arrow Video.
Old 09-03-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NMA
Contamination is not the first slipcover release of Arrow Video.
In the United States.
Old 09-03-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Just in case it matters, Amazon U.K. has several Arrow titles on sale as part of a 2/£10 sale. I've noticed several in this Arrow sale at significantly higher prices, so if anyone's interested in these, Amazon may be the way to go, even with shipping:

DRESSED TO KILL
RED SCORPION
FORBIDDEN ZONE
LES DIABOLIQUES
BAY OF BLOOD
BARON BLOOD
THIEF
RIFIFI
THE KILLERS
THE EXTERMINATOR

Several others are part of Amazon's 3/$20 sale, but these may work out to be the same:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_li...d_i=B00KHQD6EE
Old 09-12-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Just in case it matters, Amazon U.K. has several Arrow titles on sale as part of a 2/£10 sale. I've noticed several in this Arrow sale at significantly higher prices, so if anyone's interested in these, Amazon may be the way to go, even with shipping:

DRESSED TO KILL
RED SCORPION
FORBIDDEN ZONE
LES DIABOLIQUES
BAY OF BLOOD
BARON BLOOD
THIEF
RIFIFI
THE KILLERS
THE EXTERMINATOR

Several others are part of Amazon's 3/$20 sale, but these may work out to be the same:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_li...d_i=B00KHQD6EE
In the past, they've also had The Fury, The Last Goodbye and Runaway Train, Sisters, and Maniac Cop and other Arrow titles as part of either a 2 for 10 pounds or 2 for 12 pounds sale (don't remember which ones it was exactly).

The Arrow sale is probably better for newer releases and maybe the Lady Snowblood set which is two movies.

I caved and bought a couple of releases:

Rollerball (1975 version)
The Train

Took advantage of the free shipping glitch and paid nothing for shipping and came out to just under $26 total for both titles.
Old 09-12-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Took advantage of the free shipping glitch and paid nothing for shipping and came out to just under $26 total for both titles.
How? I have 2 titles I want to pick up but the site keeps charging for shipping.
Old 09-12-15, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
How? I have 2 titles I want to pick up but the site keeps charging for shipping.
order them as 2 individual orders. Also orders above 50 pounds have free S/h
Old 09-12-15, 05:32 PM

Received my orders by Royal Mail - well packaged and faster than it takes for media mail to deliver from NY to CA.
Old 09-12-15, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
In the past, they've also had The Fury, The Last Goodbye and Runaway Train, Sisters, and Maniac Cop and other Arrow titles as part of either a 2 for 10 pounds or 2 for 12 pounds sale (don't remember which ones it was exactly).

The Arrow sale is probably better for newer releases and maybe the Lady Snowblood set which is two movies.

I caved and bought a couple of releases:

Rollerball (1975 version)
The Train

some of those titles you mention as being in the past, are still part of the ' Two DVDs & Blu-ray for £10' sale:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=lp_696...rnid=383379011
Old 09-13-15, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
order them as 2 individual orders. Also orders above 50 pounds have free S/h
Thank you!

Ended up ordering The Sweet Smell of Success & The Naked City for around $25 (Shipped).
Old 09-13-15, 09:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..final haul from arrow films
1. the hound of the baskervilles
2. blood and black lace
3. milano caliber 9
4. black sunday (ultimate edition)
5. phenomena
..this is a great sale going on at arrow that ends today..
Old 09-13-15, 01:55 PM

Couldn't resist at these prices and put in another order:

L'Assassino
Cinema Paradiso [25th Anniversary Remastered Edition] - this is the extended edition at 174 mins
Branded to Kill
Salvatore Giuliano
Brute Force
Sweet Smell of Success
The Girl Who Knew Too Much
The Killing + Killer's Kiss
Thief
White of the Eye
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

and the conversion rate on PayPal was a LOT better than what Amazon.uk charges

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.