Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Dollar General $5 Sony Double-Packs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Dollar General $5 Sony Double-Packs

I stopped by a couple stores this week, but couldn't find any of the digibooks or sets. Someone on another forum mentioned the boxes were "street dated" for 12/15 so hopefully Monday I'll find some.

Update: I did stop by one today and they had indeed put out the Silverado, and Easy Rider digibooks plus they had the Mortal Instruments, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, and Smurfs 2 gift packs. It looks as if they had also received more of the 2 packs (or at least refilled the shelf).

Last edited by Edison; 12-15-14 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-15-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to a Dollar General on Sunday and got a big ole goose egg. The only blu-rays I could find were the ultra family friendly ones (everybody be happy!) or Vince Vaughn/Kevin James the Dilemma(which is clearly not worth $5.95). I have much better luck at Big Lots to be honest. Also, this Dollar General scared me, I did not want to be there after dark if you catch my drift.
Old 12-17-14, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I was fortunate. Discovered a store with a single copy of the 3 digibooks earlier in the week. Tucked them behind some DVDs on the wire rack and was happy to see them there this morning. So using the $5/$25 coupon, I had them along with the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 set for $4.75 each...not factoring in the peanuts I bought to get me over the $25 threshold.
That is one of the most despicable, dishonest things I have ever seen. Others might want them and you hid them .. Shame ... Shame ... Shame

Wait I did the same thing. . Got 2 silverado and 2 easy rider books and some cleaning supplies, using the 5/25 coupon. Was about to leave and saw Cloudy 2 lunchbox x3 and a Smurf plush on top of a cooler. So used another 5/25 coupon. Another loc had steamboy, mortal instrument, and a copy of all 3 digibooks. Needless to say I have a few duplicates. Really want the starship trooper figure (I have the trilogy) and Arthur Christmas. One other location has the boxes, but won't put them out until the rep shows.
Old 12-19-14, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this isn't the 2 for 5 but i was just at one by me and they had a few blurays kinda far from the spot... but have a few for 5.95... i seen Wanted, Lincoln, New Years Eve, Adjustment Bureau, Little Fockers, and one other i cant remember. otherwise they have their over priced bluray for 10$

Last edited by Hethunder; 12-19-14 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I generally ignore the "Dollar General" threads, because they've never worked out for me; I generally make the trip to a bunch of queasy little stores, -there's a bunch in my area, -and I never find what I'm looking for.
I just saw this thread last Thursday night, and Friday I decided to stop by a DG on the way home. Of course, it had nothing. I went to a second and they had a two large display boxes, but they were blocked from the front by a line of shopping carts, and blocked from the side by their other DVD displays. I had about given up when I found another video display in the center of the store, -this one had all the digibooks, the lunchboxes, and the "Steamboy" and "Ember" giftsets.
After mulling it over for a day, I decided to return the lunchbox and as I walked in the store aI saw an employee sorting through the Video display boxes that had been blocked the other day. When the employee walked away I took a look and they had at least one each of all the Blu-ray double sets.
I finally caught a break...
Old 12-22-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

These trips to the Dollar General are adding significantly to my unwatched pile. Hard to pass up on films on BD that I have even a remote interest in when they are $2/$2.50 each. Kind of makes me recall the early Big Lots days when picking up $3 DVDs.

I had to take a trip 90 minutes away, so I stopped on a whim at a DG that I've never been to. As I looked around the store, I found DVDs/BDs in about 4 different spots.

Picked up several of the new wave of $5 double-packs:

Hitch/The Holiday
Layer Cake/Snatch
The Other Boleyn Girl/Across the Universe
It Could Happen to You/Catch & Release
Made of Honor/The Jane Austen Book Club
Groundhog Day/So I Married an Axe Murderer
I Know What You Did Last Summer/I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

Also found the Starship Trooper trilogy for $6

I think the only thing I haven't seen that I would have some interest in is the Smurfs 2 gift set. But it's not anything I'm going to actively look for at this point.
Old 12-22-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I Know What You Did Last Summer/I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
Wouldn't mind picking up the IKWYDLS/ISKWYDLS two pack - would go nice with the Scream series I picked up for one of my cousins kids. (I picked up the "Scream Five-Film Series - first three movies and the two docs from Amazon when it was $7.99 - and have the fourth movie coming from Amazon - picked it up for $4.75 this weekend. Should arrived Tuesday.) Guess I'll have to stop by one of the three Dollar Generals that are near me in my travels on Tuesday.

Update - Just realized, I don't have them on DVD or Blu-Ray - hopefully I can find two then. Would go nice with my "Scream Series".
If not - well I can always borrow my cousins kids - LOL!

Last edited by LaxBandit; 12-22-14 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Picked up the Digibooks of Silverado and Easy Rider for $6 each. Would have gotten a Cloudy 2 lunch pail but already own the Blu unfortunately.
Old 12-23-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Stopped by a couple stores yesterday, but didn't see any of the new double packs. Cardsfan111 are the new ones single cases or two cases shrink wrapped together?
Old 12-23-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Edison
Stopped by a couple stores yesterday, but didn't see any of the new double packs. Cardsfan111 are the new ones single cases or two cases shrink wrapped together?
Of the ones I mentioned in my last post, I believe only Hitch/The Holiday & Layer Cake/Snatch were single cases. The others were 2 separate cases.
Old 01-21-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a $2 off $10 digital coupon on their site. It expires today.
Old 03-14-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to stick this here, even though it doesn't exactly fit the thread title.

Was in a Dollar General away from home yesterday and found some triple feature BDs for $6.95. These were new, and not previously viewed. I stopped by the 2 stores close to home today and couldn't find them. If I had, I was hoping to take advantage of the $5/$25 Saturday coupon.

Here's what I found:

The Man With No Name Trilogy
Raging Bull/Rocky/The Usual Suspects
The Delta Force/Missing in Action/Missing in Action 2
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid/The Good, the Bad and the Ugly/The Magnificent Seven

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 03-15-15 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-15-15, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man with no name for $7 is insane.. even used!
Old 03-15-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

The DG's near me in SoCal have squat for media :-(...those are terribly good offerings for $6.95
Old 03-15-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Steve
Man with no name for $7 is insane.. even used!
I was quite pleased. For anyone interested, there were 2 copies of each of the ones I mentioned. I picked up the first 2 from my list.

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
The DG's near me in SoCal have squat for media :-(...those are terribly good offerings for $6.95
I have several Dollar General stores in my area, so it's easy to check them on occasion without going out of my way. No 2 stores are alike--and that means the layout of the stores, where they put their media (which can be in 2-3 different spots in a particular store) and what they receive and have available. It's frustrating, but at the same time satisfying, if you come across a good deal.