DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 11-27-14, 09:01 PM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VCI 60% Off MSRP Sale ends 12/2/14

Now through December 2nd get up to 60% OFF SRP* site wide!

Use coupon code VCIBF60 at checkout.

Offer ends December 2, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.

*Discount is off of Suggested Retail Price,

not the Web Price.

http://www.vcientertainment.com/

FREE SHIPPING within the Continental United States on all orders over $50.

Mostly DVDs but a few BRs as well.
Old 11-28-14, 07:32 AM   #2

Re: VCI 60% Off MSRP Sale ends 12/2/14

Some good stuff here. They appear to still have Dark Night of the Scarecrow and I think that's out of print. Also Dark Star and Bird With The Crystal Plumage.
Old 11-28-14, 01:14 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Christmas Carol (1951) with Alistair Syms should be $8 after coupon. However code reduces price to $9.89. Not a bad price but not 60% MSRP which is listed on site as $19.99 with the web price listed as $15.99. In addition there is $1.50 handling charge per order plus shipping on orders under $50.

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-28-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 05:04 PM   #4

Everything I bought rang up 58% off...good enough, I think. (Technically, the banner on their site reads "Up to 60% off".) To clarify, "A Christmas Carol" should have been $8.39 (58% off the 19.99 MSRP) + 1.50 handling charge (plus shipping for orders < $50).

At least compared to last year, other retailers seem to be holding back, so I'm happy that VCI's sales still run like clockwork.

I bought
White Zombie BD
Gorgo BD
Creepy Creatures Vol. 1
Angel on my Shoulder
Terry and the Pirates
Mandrake the Magician
The Phantom

Given their other serials that have gone DVD-R, I may have just one more direct order left in me.

Last edited by thetao; 11-28-14 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-17-16, 01:00 AM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

VCI is currently selling the blu ray of A Christmas Carol for $5 plus shipping and handling. Total $9.11.
If you find other things to buy shipping and handling will be less per item. Free Shipping over $50. Still have to pay handling fee of $1.50 per order. Current 50% off coupon does not apply.

https://www.vcientertainment.com/Hol...hristmas-Carol
Old 12-17-16, 08:20 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
VCI is currently selling the blu ray of A Christmas Carol for $5 plus shipping and handling. Total $9.11.
If you find other things to buy shipping and handling will be less per item. Free Shipping over $50. Still have to pay handling fee of $1.50 per order. Current 50% off coupon does not apply.

https://www.vcientertainment.com/Hol...hristmas-Carol
Their new free shipping minimum is $25. It changed a few months back but I don't think they've changed the text on the cart page to reflect this. If you continue through with the order it changes later.
Old 12-17-16, 08:47 PM   #7

Genevieve is a fantastic '50s Brit comedy - one of my favorites of the period, is currently $5. I'd love to see it get a full restoration like a number of Ealing comedies are getting, but $5 is more a great price; some nice bonus features on this one as well. -Peter
Old 12-17-16, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
Genevieve is a fantastic '50s Brit comedy - one of my favorites of the period, is currently $5. I'd love to see it get a full restoration like a number of Ealing comedies are getting, but $5 is more a great price; some nice bonus features on this one as well. -Peter
It's actually even less than $5. The code seems to be discounting things even further, although for sale items the amounts seem fairly random. I picked up Genevieve blu-ray, the Zorro serial collection, Flash Gordon serial, Santa Claus blu-ray, the 70s horror DVD box set, Lil Abner, and a Hayward double feature for just over $27 shipped. I think this is the best sale they have ever had. Too bad many of their titles are MIA from the website. Their 8 film noir box, Prowler blu-ray, and a few other items of interest to me are nowhere to be found.
Old 12-17-16, 09:48 PM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
It's actually even less than $5. The code seems to be discounting things even further, although for sale items the amounts seem fairly random. I picked up Genevieve blu-ray, the Zorro serial collection, Flash Gordon serial, Santa Claus blu-ray, the 70s horror DVD box set, Lil Abner, and a Hayward double feature for just over $27 shipped. I think this is the best sale they have ever had. Too bad many of their titles are MIA from the website. Their 8 film noir box, Prowler blu-ray, and a few other items of interest to me are nowhere to be found.
what code ?
Old 12-17-16, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
what code ?
Save 50% off of everything* on the website through the end of the year. Use coupon code "SANTA50" at check out. The Santa Claus Sale will end at midnight, January 2, 2017.

Start Shopping Now

(*all titles in the "Holiday Specials" & "VCI Exclusives" categories are excluded.)

Sorry, I didn't see this was a bump of an old thread. It seems to be discounting Specials, despite what it says (although not by 50%).
Old 12-17-16, 11:17 PM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Save 50% off of everything* on the website through the end of the year. Use coupon code "SANTA50" at check out. The Santa Claus Sale will end at midnight, January 2, 2017.

Start Shopping Now

(*all titles in the "Holiday Specials" & "VCI Exclusives" categories are excluded.)

Sorry, I didn't see this was a bump of an old thread. It seems to be discounting Specials, despite what it says (although not by 50%).
thank you.

EDIT: Indeed, that's one strange coupon. Got the below for $30 shipped (granted the BD's are all substandard encodes):
FLYING DEUCES, THE (BD)
BULLET FOR SANDOVAL, A (DVD)
SUSAN HAYWARD Double Feature (DVD)
ROMEO & JULIET (BLU-RAY)
GENEVIEVE (BLU-RAY)
CHRISTMAS CAROL, A - 60TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION (BD)
CAMPBELL'S KINGDOM (BLU-RAY)
CLASSIC FILM NOIR Double Feature VOL 1 (DVD)

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 12-18-16 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-18-16, 12:55 AM   #12
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparently there is an error with their system but it seems pretty random. Sometimes when you refresh a page or add or delete something after applying the code it takes away some of the discount for items still in the cart. The banner for Classic Holiday Specials Movies says price as listed no further discounts but on some (most?) of these items you get a discount with code.
Old 04-14-17, 07:38 PM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Easter sale. 50% off + free shipping after $25

Code: BUNNY50
Old 04-14-17, 10:44 PM   #14
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anything worth owning off that website?
Old 04-15-17, 06:36 AM   #15
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'm finding a ton of stuff I want, but can't get the coupon to work. Pretty sure at least half my cart isn't on the exclusion list.
Old 04-15-17, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm finding a ton of stuff I want, but can't get the coupon to work. Pretty sure at least half my cart isn't on the exclusion list.
The coupon should take 50% off the SRP, not the web price, although I don't recall if that has always been consistent. They have at times excluded VCI Exclusives and Collections.

I was happy to get the blu ray of What the Peeper Saw a while back, although I still haven't got around to watching it. I didn't order it immediately because it was excluded from the coupon as a VCI Exclusive, then the blu ray was unavailable on the site and drawing high prices on ebay, then it reappeared on the VCI site and was now coupon eligible.

Seems like VCI Exclusives are presently excluded, although that exclusion is limited to the sets that bundle movies that are available individually, so the sets are still a good deal.

Last edited by ororama; 04-15-17 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 01:11 PM   #17

Well then the web price must be exactly 50% of the SRP, because the coupon doesn't take a penny off of my dozen or so titles (most not in the exclusives section). Tried a couple browsers, maybe I'll try IE next time I'm at a computer.
Old 04-15-17, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Well then the web price must be exactly 50% of the SRP, because the coupon doesn't take a penny off of my dozen or so titles (most not in the exclusives section). Tried a couple browsers, maybe I'll try IE next time I'm at a computer.
Strange. They are very good about doing a phone order if you can't get the coupon to work properly. They have given me the coupon discount a couple of times when I tried to order on the last night of the sale, couldn't get the coupon to work, sent them an email and then ordered by phone.
Old 04-15-17, 09:10 PM   #19
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

main thing i want is the new Karloff set; that doesn't qualify. I'll hit the next sale.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 04-15-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-16-17, 07:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ororama View Post
Strange. They are very good about doing a phone order if you can't get the coupon to work properly. They have given me the coupon discount a couple of times when I tried to order on the last night of the sale, couldn't get the coupon to work, sent them an email and then ordered by phone.
Thanks, might try that.
Old 04-16-17, 12:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
main thing i want is the new Karloff set; that doesn't qualify. I'll hit the next sale.
I assume you noticed it's a DVD-R?

There were a handful of VCI titles that I still wanted to purchase, but most of them left when Kit Parker started his own manufacturing/distribution business at http://thesprocketvault.com .
Old 04-16-17, 07:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetao View Post
I assume you noticed it's a DVD-R?

There were a handful of VCI titles that I still wanted to purchase, but most of them left when Kit Parker started his own manufacturing/distribution business at http://thesprocketvault.com .

Oops, I didn't notice. Thank you.

That also explains the email I got from Sprocket the same day that was nothing but VCI titles at higher prices!
Old 04-17-17, 12:45 PM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That makes me glad I picked up the Kit Parker titles I wanted long ago during another sale. Considering the prices I paid it was likely during a inventory clearance right when the titles were leaving VCI.

That also explains why the Jerry Warren titles jumped in price at Amazon...
Old 04-17-17, 07:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
That makes me glad I picked up the Kit Parker titles I wanted long ago during another sale. Considering the prices I paid it was likely during a inventory clearance right when the titles were leaving VCI.

That also explains why the Jerry Warren titles jumped in price at Amazon...
Me too!
Old 04-17-17, 11:16 PM   #25

I still want roughly 2 DVD's, plus the new "Mysterious Airman" silent serial. Hopefully sprocketvault will have occasional sales, too. FYI, some of their titles are DVD-R, but they don't list which ones. Gonna try prodding them to make this distinction.