Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

TCM Shop - Halloween Limited Deluxe set 15-disc $19.98 & Many More Deals + Shipping

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

TCM Shop - Halloween Limited Deluxe set 15-disc $19.98 & Many More Deals + Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 05:27 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: TCM Shop - Halloween Limited Deluxe set 15-disc $19.98 & Many More Deals + Shippi

I got one item today that they said in my order was canceled. It was the least impressive misprice but I got From Dusk till Dawn season 1 on BD.
Maybe I will see some of the others.

Last edited by g; 09-27-14 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-27-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TCM Shop - Halloween Limited Deluxe set 15-disc $19.98 & Many More Deals + Shippi

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Not the way I do it
Originally Posted by ntnon
Unless there's a 30% or 40% coupon, 40 becomes 20 becomes 18 (member) becomes $14.40 (20%) or $15.10 (15%). Plus tax. Surely..?

$14.68 is right in there!
20 becomes 18 (member) becomes 10 (8 off 40).

Last time they even used it for MSRP 29.99

15 becomes 13.50 becomes 5.50 (8 off 40). This happened to me accidentally because I thought I had pulled all 39.99 titles, but when he let it through, I pulled the other 29.99 titles I saw and let him do it 3 more times. I was one coupon short from doing it on all the 29.99 titles I saw. It always pays to bring extra coupons. I was only going to buy 2 movies on this trip, but ended up with 7 .

This was my first membership in a year and a half. I'm not a big Criterion guy myself, but do think if you like the movie, they do have some of the best releases. Don't know if I will try another membership in Nov. There's always too much to buy around that time and I don't need anymore expenditures.
Old 09-27-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Their customer service people have apparently been taking a lot of nasty, rude and threatening calls from people threatening to sue unless they get "their" unreasonably-cheap, obviously-mispriced films.

What is wrong with people? It's just films.. and you don't "deserve" to get something that you KNEW to be an implausible deal. Anyone who did get something got very, very lucky! Everyone else got a very generous coupon as compensation for an obvious mistake that was corrected. Not a withdrawn promise, an accident.
I know the site and the thread.I read some of post,and I was like wtf.
I believe the thread was locked then unlock.Lawsuits,fraud,people calling CS and bitching that they were riped off and etc.Going 3000+ post now.
Also I hope it is just A few blowing a head gasket over this mistake.

Most of people that placed orders know it was A price mistake.Was it right for me to try to order A few of these sets? NO
But if I place A order and they want to send the order,that is fine with me.
But my orders were canceled.

Also Ghostbusters / Ghostbusters 2 was that price for A few days before I posted it here.

And was nice of TCM to send everyone A 30% off code.

I grab Amen. Blu-ray ($7) and the 5 new release from twlight time for $147.

Remember last Nov. 2013.Walmart had maybe 100+ or more price errors on all kinds of different merchandise.
The members of SD went crazy. Most of the items got canceled too.
I really wanted A few of them low price tents.I was ready to build my man cave in my back yard with two of them.lol

Last edited by JoeySeven; 09-27-14 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-27-14, 09:45 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
And we wonder why there is virtually no live person-to-person customer service these days.

It's really too bad companies can't grow a pair of brass ones and inform their customer service to tell people like this to go fuck themselves silly, and that they will be put on a list to never order from not only TCM, but other merchants as their behavior will be reported. It's a shame people can get away with insults and stupid behavior like this.
Quite - and roughly what I said, too. I was told that several people have been promising to record conversations and pursue TCM through the courts... to which surely the correct response (as you paraphrase) is "good luck with that."

"P.S. WE ALREADY record calls, and this is textbook 'threatening behavior' under paragraph III, subsection..."
Old 09-27-14, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
20 becomes 18 (member) becomes 10 (8 off 40).

Last time they even used it for MSRP 29.99

15 becomes 13.50 becomes 5.50 (8 off 40).
....well, OK! The staff at yours are much more obliging than most, then. I can't even use 8off40 in a transaction with two titles, let alone one... And when I once brought something else, got refused then because the computer said I'd already used it..

Still - 30% off 50% without tax beats most NORMAL B&N deals..!
Old 09-27-14, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
I know the site and the thread.I read some of post,and I was like wtf.
I believe the thread was locked then unlock.Lawsuits,fraud,people calling CS and bitching that they were riped off and etc.Going 3000+ post now.
Also I hope it is just A few blowing a head gasket over this mistake.
Oh, it's online too..? This came firsthand from one of the poor phone people who'd been dealing with the (hopefully) few. People who threatened, then demanded, then tried to get the 30% off doubled because of it, then...

Most of people that placed orders know it was A price mistake.Was it right for me to try to order A few of these sets? NO
But if I place A order and they want to send the order,that is fine with me.
But my orders were canceled.
Far more than "most". I could see a small handful of people stumbling across the listings and thinking it's a good deal - and maybe a fraction of that small number winding up unhappy. But far more than 80% of people knew that it was a "deal" (steal); and you'd have to be VERY optimistic to think it was a genuine one rather than a misprice, offering around $100 off a brand-new, popular, release. I imagine they were under wholesale price.

I don't, however, see a great deal wrong with trying to order ONE (of each). So long as you go in aware that it probably SHOULD/WILL be canceled, why not? It's the entitlement/anger that's absurd and worrying - and the few who order multiples to make a private profit are... [something].

Remember last Nov. 2013.Walmart had maybe 100+ or more price errors on all kinds of different merchandise.
The members of SD went crazy. Most of the items got canceled too.
I really wanted A few of them low price tents.I was ready to build my man cave in my back yard with two of them.lol
The one I remember with some bitterness was Amazon mispricing the $100+ Absolute Sandman volumes at under $10. It wasn't that most orders were (rightly) canceled - mildly annoying, but fair enough. It wasn't simply that some random people DID get copies for less than 10% - jealousy and some irritation. It was the reported fact that some of the orders that were shipped were orders placed by shops for 20+ copies, to sell at 700+% profit - and then that these people boasted about their "good fortune" and the fact that it was their mass orders that triggered most other orders to be canceled. That smarts, and is Bad.
Old 09-28-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Their customer service people have apparently been taking a lot of nasty, rude and threatening calls from people threatening to sue unless they get "their" unreasonably-cheap, obviously-mispriced films.

What is wrong with people? It's just films.. and you don't "deserve" to get something that you KNEW to be an implausible deal. Anyone who did get something got very, very lucky! Everyone else got a very generous coupon as compensation for an obvious mistake that was corrected. Not a withdrawn promise, an accident.
That's really just dumb the way people are acting over this. It was so obviously an error and by honoring it they would have taken a pretty big loss. Some people's orders may have slipped through the cracks but those making threats and saying they're going to report TCM to the Better Business Bureau and all that shit need to get a fucking life. Its not like there was a binding contract signed by placing an order and that TCM has to honor the price error no matter what. Plus most sites do have written somewhere that they reserve the right to cancel orders in such situations. Not sure if TCM has something like that but I'd imagine they probably would.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-28-14 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an obnoxious asshole on Twitter who is tweeting about it every few hours. I was lucky enough to get both a Ghostbusters set and a Halloween set and I can sincerely say I was all for everyone else getting in on the deal. There is no schadenfreude or anything at play here.

That is, until people start to act like that guy in Twitter. I fucking love that they didn't fill his order. Delicious.
Old 09-28-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

And we wonder why there is virtually no live person-to-person customer service these days.
It's really too bad companies can't grow a pair of brass ones and inform their customer service to tell people like this to go fuck themselves silly, and that they will be put on a list to never order from not only TCM, but other merchants as their behavior will be reported.
I sort of did that to one customer when I worked at Tower.com- a few things were ridiculously mispriced, including the complete Wonder Woman set for about $5 (beating Big Lots' $10 deal a few years later.) One guy had ordered that and actually called to complain about his order being cancelled. He had JUST created an account that day, NEVER ordering anything else beforehand (I took that into consideration when dealing with people- if you've bought a lot of stuff before, I'd be a little more accommodating than someone who just signed up to take advantage of a misprice. Not that I'd let misprices even happen in the first place if I'd been in charge; a few people running that site seemed like they didn't know what they were doing, which explains why it's out of business now.)

Anyways, this guy tried to play the "I'm a valuable customer to you, and you cancelled my order???" bit, but I called him right out saying "You haven't ordered anything before this, and likely only came here to take advantage of this!"

Meanwhile I sort of did the same thing as that guy when DVDPlanet had the Twilight Zone Blu-Ray set pretty cheap a few months ago- that was likely a misprice and I jumped on it and actually got it. If they had cancelled it though, I wouldn't have said a word to them about it and just thought shame on me for preying on them in the first place.
Old 09-29-14, 01:08 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by clckworang
I ordered Eraserhead and The Innocents. They were $18.89 each. Not too bad for new Criterion releases.

I bit on Nosferatu: The Vampyre despite the bad things I've heard about the transfer.
The Criterion Eraserhead Blu-ray has a defect. You can read more about it at the Criterion Forum thread for the film.

Here's the e-mail Criterion sent to people who complained about it (I didn't buy the film yet):

Originally Posted by The Criterion Collection
Thank you for purchasing ERASERHEAD from criterion.com. We are writing to let you know there is an issue on the current pressing of the film. It has come to our attention that about 65 minutes into the original camera negative, from which our new 4K master was created, there are 5 seconds of black where there should be a reaction shot of Jack Nance surrounded by fades to white.

We are aware of this issue and are preparing a corrected run of the ERASERHEAD Blu-ray disc and DVD Disc One (DVD Disc Two is not effected). When the replacement discs are available in a couple of weeks, we'll send you the correct version.
Old 09-29-14, 02:04 PM

QC is officially dead.
Old 09-29-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, it's online too..? This came firsthand from one of the poor phone people who'd been dealing with the (hopefully) few. People who threatened, then demanded, then tried to get the 30% off doubled because of it, then...

Far more than "most". I could see a small handful of people stumbling across the listings and thinking it's a good deal - and maybe a fraction of that small number winding up unhappy. But far more than 80% of people knew that it was a "deal" (steal); and you'd have to be VERY optimistic to think it was a genuine one rather than a misprice, offering around $100 off a brand-new, popular, release. I imagine they were under wholesale price.

I don't, however, see a great deal wrong with trying to order ONE (of each). So long as you go in aware that it probably SHOULD/WILL be canceled, why not? It's the entitlement/anger that's absurd and worrying - and the few who order multiples to make a private profit are... [something].

The one I remember with some bitterness was Amazon mispricing the $100+ Absolute Sandman volumes at under $10. It wasn't that most orders were (rightly) canceled - mildly annoying, but fair enough. It wasn't simply that some random people DID get copies for less than 10% - jealousy and some irritation. It was the reported fact that some of the orders that were shipped were orders placed by shops for 20+ copies, to sell at 700+% profit - and then that these people boasted about their "good fortune" and the fact that it was their mass orders that triggered most other orders to be canceled. That smarts, and is Bad.
I think what smarts about deals like this is that some people actually do get their orders and sometimes it's people who order AFTER you. It's a lot easier to take when everyone is treated the same. It's the nature of the beast, but it is very irritating.

I really don't know why people post deals before theirs is actually shipped. I have come across a few deals, but kept quiet until mine shipped. I don't mind sharing, but I still want mine first. I have even entertained the thought about PMing members here that actually contribute about good deals, but have never done it. There's just too many people that take, but never give and if something is rare, they should be the last to take advantage of it.
Old 09-30-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I would PM a few members here that have been around years and are proven collectors. There are too many lurking members looking to exploit deals like this one for their own personal profit, which is why I've kept most incredible price mistakes to myself over the years until something has shipped.

From how it has been described by TCM's management themselves on Facebook and Twitter, they arrived Monday morning not realizing thousands of orders had been placed on items that were mistakenly priced.
Old 09-30-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Echos Myron
The Criterion Eraserhead Blu-ray has a defect. You can read more about it at the Criterion Forum thread for the film.

Here's the e-mail Criterion sent to people who complained about it (I didn't buy the film yet):
This is not good.
Over at bluray forum they have A thread about some Criterions
released around 2009 and 2010 that appear to be suffering from some form of disc rot already.
I own most of these releases and some are OOP.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I would PM a few members here that have been around years and are proven collectors. There are too many lurking members looking to exploit deals like this one for their own personal profit, which is why I've kept most incredible price mistakes to myself over the years until something has shipped.
The deal was already posted on slickdeals and few other forums way before I posted it here.I have posted deals in the pass here,and I like this site and group much more then the other sites.

But smaller deals/ price mistakes that SD does not find out about.I do not
post or repost about.As they might make there way to SD and maybe get ruined.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 09-30-14 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Funny thing just happened. I received the from dusk till season 1 Blu-ray that was on my canceled Halloween boxed set order. The kicker is that I got it for free, because I don't see a charge on my credit card for it. That Halloween order was canceled over a week ago at this point, so I was hoping to see the original $14.99 that I thought I had paid for FDTD. It's not there. Not complaining but it was a pleasant surprise. I still have the 30% discount code, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if other people got "free" orders here and there.
Old 09-30-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

The one damn time I passed on a deal because I knew for certain no one would ever get this. Oh well.
Old 09-30-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The deal was already posted on slickdeals and few other forums way before I posted it here.I have posted deals in the pass here,and I like this site and group much more then the other sites.

But smaller deals/ price mistakes that SD does not find out about.I do not
post or repost about.As they might make there way to SD and maybe get ruined.
I was speaking in general terms. I don't understand some people's need to post deals on SlickDeals. They kill most deals given the extreme amount of re-sellers over there and all anyone gets out of it is rep points.
Old 09-30-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm surprised I haven't seen bumper stickers on cars that display how many rep points they have on SD.
Old 09-30-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I still have a pending charge on my Paypal from this debacle.
Old 09-30-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is really odd. Came home today to find a box from TCM. Inside was the Halloween set. I only ordered one and got the "your order has been cancelled" email. Checked my bank account and no charges from TCM. Went to the website, the order still shows cancelled too.

Last edited by Roybq; 09-30-14 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
This is really odd. Came home today to find a box from TCM. Inside was the Halloween set. I only ordered one and got the "your order has been cancelled" email. Checked my bank account and no charges from TCM. Went to the website, the order still shows cancelled too.
You scored. See, I knew there would be more folks that got orders that weren't charged for them.
Old 10-01-14, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by anassot
What'd she write? I was too slow to see the original message.
Bad
Old 10-01-14, 08:37 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You scored. See, I knew there would be more folks that got orders that weren't charged for them.
Yea I am one as well. I returned my TCM one to Amazon and got the refund there. So I either got this for free... or TCM will charge me the $25 bucks when they balance their books at some point. Either way I'm fine with the price. Free or $25 is a decent trade off. I'm very happy with either.

I brought this up in the HD thread... considering your order shows as cancelled on the site... you could argue that they have no place to charge you. They could maybe show via the UPS tracking... but that's not even associated with the order from what I can see online... Maybe they have records on their backend.
Old 10-01-14, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
I brought this up in the HD thread... considering your order shows as cancelled on the site... you could argue that they have no place to charge you...
If you're a total...
Old 10-01-14, 09:33 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

If you're a total...
Oh yea for sure. I wouldn't. I'd gladly pay the $25 3 months from now... but reading through the blu-ray.com forum the last couple of days, it just shows the amount of bottom feeding assclowns out there. You know someone will...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.