Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy - $50 any purchase of $100 or more when using Mastercard today through 1/27

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy - $50 any purchase of $100 or more when using Mastercard today through 1/27

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy - $50 any purchase of $100 or more when using Mastercard today through 1

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
This is completely false. They are allowed to maintain company policies that they see fit as long as they are legal and meet the licensing requirements for whatever jurisdiction that they are doing business in. The next time you are in Best Buy (or any store for that matter) look around hard enough and you will find a LICENSE posted somewhere that allows them to conduct business in the local jurisdiction. I am not aware of any jurisdiction that would allow a licensed business to dictate their business practices (accept coupons, sell at advertised sale prices, refuse to sell certain items) on an individual basis unless specifically required by law (alcohol/tobacco to minors).
I didn't mean that they have the right to treat him different specifically, I mean if the store manager has a policy at his store that a sale is a "special offer" and won't accept coupons on sale items, that is his choice. If he decides that a corporate sale is too low for whatever reason, he can take that stock and stick it in the back. What is anybody going to do about it? Come to think of it, I have seen a multitude of stores that have signs up saying "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.", so I am not so sure you are correct in your statements. I am not a lawyer so I surely don't know.

Originally Posted by Manzana
SoonerDoc, you'll be bummed to find out that I encountered a really nice person at my local Worst Buy after my recent bad experience who so far has been helping me out with things others there would've likely denied. If I were the worst customer in the universe, I doubt anyone would do anything for me. Face it, the long time manager at my store is a mean deny-happy person who should never be dealing with the public, and I like to complain. Let me stop now as I'm in a better mood because that other guy there has helped me out. Hopefully nothing else will happen to put me in a complaining mood for a while. This deal and thread is as good as dead anyway, so it's not like I'm clogging up current useful discussions. Until next time...
I am actually thrilled you found someone to help you. If the one specific store you frequent has a manager that has it in for you (or customers in general), I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would continue to patronize that specific store other than proximity. If that is the case, than you should just accept the fact that for the convenience, you are gonna have to put up with some HORRIBLE customer service. If it were me, I would make it a point to never walk into that store again, if there was a more amicable store within 20 minutes. But that's just me.
Old 01-31-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Best Buy - $50 any purchase of $100 or more when using Mastercard today through 1

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I thought you said it was Best Deny now. You're getting your stupid nicknames screwed up.
Ooops. When I talk to people I mix them up too, so I apologize for my inconsistency. Most people I know use Worst Buy, so I've been hearing that lately. I'll try better to use Best Deny because the truth is my problem with them is the denials of coupons or PMs more than getting bad buys. In fact, over the holidays Best Deny had by the far the best deals and I got quite a bit of stuff. Who can complain about things like a 24" PS3 3D monitor for $100 which works great as a computer monitor? But that was through the .com site so I didn't have to worry about a denial.
Originally Posted by ScorseseLovesU
Can someone clarify..is it Worst Buy or Best Deny? Or maybe in Manzana's case, Best Cry?
Any of those work.
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
I didn't mean that they have the right to treat him different specifically, I mean if the store manager has a policy at his store that a sale is a "special offer" and won't accept coupons on sale items, that is his choice. If he decides that a corporate sale is too low for whatever reason, he can take that stock and stick it in the back. What is anybody going to do about it? Come to think of it, I have seen a multitude of stores that have signs up saying "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.", so I am not so sure you are correct in your statements. I am not a lawyer so I surely don't know.
You are totally right, and this manager does precisely that type of stuff and refuses almost any deal involving a coupon while the majority of other people in other areas post that they had no problems doing the same transaction at a different store. Like I said, I called corporate twice about this manager in years past when I thought he was really out of line, and both times they said they support whatever he wants to do. So I realized once this manager gets involved, the deal is dead for me and there's nothing I can do about it except go to another store or do it when the nice guy is there and the manager isn't hovering.
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
I am actually thrilled you found someone to help you. If the one specific store you frequent has a manager that has it in for you (or customers in general), I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would continue to patronize that specific store other than proximity. If that is the case, than you should just accept the fact that for the convenience, you are gonna have to put up with some HORRIBLE customer service. If it were me, I would make it a point to never walk into that store again, if there was a more amicable store within 20 minutes. But that's just me.
Horrible customer service meaning denials on deals I consider legitimate. One time one of the manager's minions (a teenager with hair hanging in his face) denied me a straight PM on Fry's stuff after he wasted a good 10 minutes verifying it was in stock on the bogus excuse that Fry's has different versions of the same 3D movies so they're not equivalent. I said unless their store has exclusive versions, Fry's version will be the same as theirs, but logic doesn't penetrate. His supervisor (another hardnosed manager minion) of course supported that bogus decision. And here's the ironic part... 2 days later Best Deny put all of those same 3D movies on sale for the price I was trying to PM, but Target and Amazon were PM'ing so I bought them there instead of at Best Deny.

This manager denied a couple TV PM deals to Fry's in years past based on it's below cost or Fry's has unfair pricing and we can't compete with that. That was of course after all the other employees said they would PM it and made me wait while they called up Fry's to check the deal. One even had the transaction processed and was waiting for the manager override and which point this manager killed it. A different MOD denied me a 3rd time. So, after 3 times in a row over the last 5+ years, for my last TV I just went straight to Fry's. It's worth the drive on a more expensive item, but on a $5-$10 BD it's not worth the time and gas to go to Fry's unless I have to. I think my first encounter with this manager was during the days of the Monsters Inc and Toy Story 3 BD deals where Target was practically giving them away... that's at least 5 years ago.

Why do I keep going to this store? Simple. It's on my drive to work right off the freeway with only 1 left turn in a convenient location that takes me about 1 minute of extra time off the freeway. Every other store is much further out of my way and further off the freeway and takes more time. Like I said, lately I only go to Best Deny when there's a deal I can't get anywhere else (either can't PM it or they're the only store that carries it). Lately I only go to my nearby problem store when (a) I have no coupons or I'm not PM'ing anything so I can't get denied or (b) I know the nice guy is there.

Hopefully you now understand. Oh well. I wrote too much again.

Last edited by Manzana; 01-31-13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my giftcard in the mail yesterday, so I'm glad this whole fiasco is done and over. Hopefully if they ever do something like this again, they don't fuck it up this bad.
Old 02-01-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana

Hopefully you now understand. Oh well. I wrote too much again.
If I'm like most people, I get a few words in and then just give up. I'll admit that I read the first few novels that you posted but then they all just end up being the same stories over and over. Do you also give long speeches, or long drawn out conversations, when something happens at the store? If you do, you're being a time bandit to everyone around there and nobody is going to feel any sympathy and want to do anything extra for you.

I'm trying to give some constructive criticism and not sound like a jerk, if I'm coming off as the later.
Old 02-01-13, 11:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I've probably read every post you've ever written here Manzana, and I truly sympathize with your plight. There are few things that I'm sure of when it comes to you nameless and faceless DVDTalkers. One is that I somehow love you all, and another is that the answer to the question "is it you or the Best Buy manager who is doing something wrong?" is that's it's you. I admire your tenancious self defense posts and think that perhaps you truly believe you're geting screwed; but you're not.
Old 02-01-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I admire your tenancious self defense posts and think that perhaps you truly believe you're geting screwed; but you're not.
I dunno. I personally think he puts up good evidence for his position, and he defines BB managers exactly like I've run into them. To hold that it's his fault means he's got some unwritten cues--perhaps a creepy face, or suspicious eyes, or a stutter--that are turning staff off. Call it my bias, based on experience, but I'm all too willing to believe his local store manager is a tyrant.
Old 02-01-13, 11:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by izatright
I dunno. I personally think he puts up good evidence for his position, and he defines BB managers exactly like I've run into them. To hold that it's his fault means he's got some unwritten cues--perhaps a creepy face, or suspicious eyes, or a stutter--that are turning staff off. Call it my bias, based on experience, but I'm all too willing to believe his local store manager is a tyrant.
I'm leaning towards that he is a tyrant to Manzana based on Manzana's history at the store.
Old 02-02-13, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've probably read every post you've ever written here Manzana, and I truly sympathize with your plight. There are few things that I'm sure of when it comes to you nameless and faceless DVDTalkers. One is that I somehow love you all, and another is that the answer to the question "is it you or the Best Buy manager who is doing something wrong?" is that's it's you. I admire your tenancious self defense posts and think that perhaps you truly believe you're geting screwed; but you're not.

We're only dealing with him from behind his keyboard, imagine what he must be like in person.
Old 02-02-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Collecting DVDs - or anything - is a hobby. It's pure entertainment. If it weren't enjoyable at least 99% of the time, I personally would find a different hobby. So when I see all these complaints from the same person, I have to really wonder if they're enjoying themselves, and if not, why do they keep doing it. The posts just make me sad because the enjoyment seems to be getting lost somewhere.
Old 02-02-13, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I'm leaning towards that he is a tyrant to Manzana based on Manzana's history at the store.
I know a few people like to read my complaints. :-)

Nope

This deal and thread is as good as dead anyway, so it's not like I'm clogging up current useful discussions. Until next time...

Yes you are.
Old 02-02-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by illennium
Collecting DVDs - or anything - is a hobby. It's pure entertainment. If it weren't enjoyable at least 99% of the time, I personally would find a different hobby. So when I see all these complaints from the same person, I have to really wonder if they're enjoying themselves, and if not, why do they keep doing it. The posts just make me sad because the enjoyment seems to be getting lost somewhere.
Maybe he's a masochist and actually secretly loves getting shot down on deal after deal?
Old 02-02-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
We're only dealing with him from behind his keyboard, imagine what he must be like in person.
Surprisingly a lot different than you'd expect.

Last edited by Manzana; 02-04-13 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Shutty