Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I would really like to get The Runaways (I assume this is the Fanning movie about the all girl band?) on blu.
Yes, that's the one.

There were 3-4 copies of at my local store. But as I mentioned, the BD was inside a larger DVD case. I opened it up to confirm it was the BD (the outer "insert" said it was, and was the smaller size). I wondered if somehow this might be a used disc that had been resealed. Regardless, the disc appeared new.
Old 02-05-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a long delay getting out this morning, but not to worry, the first DT I checked said that they had been told to make a Super Bowl Item of the Week display and that the movies wouldn't go out until Tuesday at the earliest (of course I had to wait in line for 15 minutes with the cashier then giving me the standard "Check Aisle 8" and then go down every aisle before hearing a noise in the stockroom and getting the attention of another employee back there to find that out. So about 30 minutes for that. Good times).

I feared a similar outcome when I went to the next DT and saw a similar display, but this one had at least 4 employees and when I asked the first one told me to hold on, while he brought the unopened cartons from the back. There were 9, each one holding 30 items (except for the one with the Nature Documentary 2-pack from Tropics that I'd already bought).

Seven of the containers contained no Blu's, the 8th had seven copies of Assassin's Bullet which I'd already bought, and the 9th had five more of those, plus three copies of Allegiance and one of Without Men (both of which I'd already bought too).
Old 02-06-16, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like most of the same titles are being reported where found...

I picked up: Bunraku, For Greater Glory, The Matador, Stand Off, Killshot and Sweetwater.

Saw these but passed... Mr. Hockey, Nights in Rodanthe, Yes Man.

All BDs. I also looked for The Runaways mixed in with the DVDs but no luck.

One store had these in the front in the item of the week bin. The other store that I checked had them in the electronics aisle.
Old 02-06-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

FYI: I aw the Runaways BR on a wholesale list today at $3; so they'll be around for awhile cheap
Old 02-06-16, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went back to my store last night before closing. All the BDs were gone (though there weren't many left after my first visit) and the DVD display was less than half of what it was. There were a few rows of boxed popcorn filling up much of the dead space.
Old 02-07-16, 02:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Hit my two local DTs yesterday. One had some new DVDs but no BDs. The other had one each of six BDs. I bought them all, even though Sweetwater looks like a repeat.
Old 02-07-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stopped at another store today and found 1 copy each of Midnight in Paris and Black Book (Verhoeven).
Old 02-07-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, would have loved Midnight IP for $1!
Old 02-09-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Hit my two local DTs yesterday. One had some new DVDs but no BDs. The other had one each of six BDs. I bought them all, even though Sweetwater looks like a repeat.
Sweetwater was indeed a repeat, but I just opened mine up. It came with a Vudu code and DVD, besides the BD, so that was a nice bonus!
Old 02-09-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
The Runaways (this is in a DVD case, and might be easy to miss)
It was a BD in a DVD case??? Aw man!!! I didn't even bother to look at the DVD's, cuz I didn't want to be tempted by anything. Now I want to go back out, just to look for that one!
Old 02-10-16, 12:18 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I saw the last Narnia movie on blu ray at a Dollar Tree.
Old 02-10-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I scored Curse of the Golden Flower yesterday. It was the first BD I've seen since Friday. My area got wiped out pretty quick. This one was buried under a stack of DVD's, so easy to miss... I'm gonna hit one final DT today, but I don't expect to find anything. I have hit 12 different locations so far... Could #13 be lucky? I doubt it...
Old 02-16-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No luck anywhere here, seems like the only time I had any real luck finding any blu rays was when I started the thread years ago, and that was out of luck only. Every location I went to (not going out of my way to get to any) had nothing but dvds.
Old 02-16-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The Blu-rays become almost impossible to find once their presence is discussed on forums like this one.
Old 02-16-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I looked at several Dollar Trees when this first started getting reported, and found nothing I was interested in. Yesterday I went to the Dollar Tree closest to my house for something else, and happened upon a copy of The Runaways in the DVD case. It's weird because the art is Blu sized, but wrapped around a DVD case. Picked it up.
Old 02-16-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blu-ray wise, I only came across the NFL set and For Greater Glory during my travels to several DTs. My feeling is that many stores didn't get any blu-rays to begin with.
Old 02-16-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I looked at several Dollar Trees when this first started getting reported, and found nothing I was interested in. Yesterday I went to the Dollar Tree closest to my house for something else, and happened upon a copy of The Runaways in the DVD case. It's weird because the art is Blu sized, but wrapped around a DVD case. Picked it up.
I finally gave up & bought The Runaways for $3 on Amazon. Saved more then $2 in gas............
Old 02-21-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Blu-rays become almost impossible to find once their presence is discussed on forums like this one.
Not entirely, because the first reports of them zippering were at stores that put out stock early, many stores put them out that following friday when it was the Deal of the Week. Thing was many stores like mine never got blu rays at all, the signage clearly stated dvds as the deal of the week only

In many instances it is luck, first time I found them were at a store that put them out early, when blu rays at dollar trees was an unheard of thing.
Old 02-21-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a former DVD retailer, if i found a deal like this when I was still looking for stuff to re-sell I definitely would have bought heavily. So those who are suggesting that resellers got most of the best stuff are probably right. There are so many ebay, Amazon & flea market resellers out there that every Big Lots, $ Tree, etc, likely has several resellers living within a couple miles of them.

Back in Big Lots glory days (& I was still selling alot also), several of the stores would routinely let me go through batches before they hit the floor, because I was spending $1500 a month.

There was a time in the early 00's where I would drive a couple hundred miles each week, in an attempt to hit almost every pawn shop in the western half of the state.

As I no longer sell dvd's or blu's (I think I have 4 left...) & am trying to get out of the cd business also, I don't mind sharing that info. But I'm sure it's still happening because there were so many of us.
Old 04-05-16, 08:01 AM

I've checked 3 or 4 Dollar Tree locations within 50 miles and no Blu-Ray titles lately. One employee told me that a customer comes in regularly and buys all in stock - even duplicates. This isn't fair!
Old 04-11-16, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker
I've checked 3 or 4 Dollar Tree locations within 50 miles and no Blu-Ray titles lately. One employee told me that a customer comes in regularly and buys all in stock - even duplicates. This isn't fair!
same crap happened during the summer of the big lots $3 box sets, there was this one guy down in south florida that had a used cd store that hit up just about every big lots in the state, greadily grabbing every piece he could, hoarding them so that as soon as the supply dried up, he could jack up the prices
Old 04-11-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Hopefully he's still sitting on all of them unsold.
Old 04-11-16, 11:40 PM

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,128 Posts

The Dollar Tree in my neighborhood has never had Blu-rays. The Matador is a good movie, enjoy!
Old 04-12-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Hopefully he's still sitting on all of them unsold.
As a retailer, I've stopped buying from Big Lots for that very reason, even though BL is cheaper then most overstock wholesalers. You can rest in peace. There is a reason BL is getting out of DVD's; no one but folks like us will pat more then $1 or $2 for them anymore.
Old 05-17-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My closest store had some DVDs/BDs on their front table today. Only half a table which makes me wonder how many might have been out and were already bought before I noticed them. There were a grand total of 3 BDs, 2 copies of Duplicity, which I own and a single copy of Life Happens which I picked up because it was a $1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.