Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes and Noble Criterion/Art House Sale 10/30/12-11/19/12

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes and Noble Criterion/Art House Sale 10/30/12-11/19/12

The BN stores around me either eliminated their media entirely... or stopped carrying BD's. So anything I get is online... which sucks because I'm a member. So.... I have to question why I'm still a member.
Old 10-31-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up Chungking Express (OOP), The Game, and Rosemary's Baby yesterday.

I'll pick up Trilogy of Life when it releases, and possibly a couple other titles as well.
Old 10-31-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Picked up:

The Game $19.99
The Thin Red Line $19.99

Around $43 after taxes with Free Shipping.
Old 10-31-12, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm not a member and didn't see any coupons that were for non-members, plus AAA no longer offers their store discount (fucking AAA), so I just paid the normal 50% off price. Total came to $222.85 with tax.
goddamn. Badass motherfucker here.
Old 10-31-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I got a $4 coupon.
Old 10-31-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I got a $4 coupon.
The coupons aren't in dollar amounts; they are for a percentage off one item. If it's showing you $4 off them you probably received a 20% off coupon and have a $20 item in your cart. Obviously, it's better to use the coupons on the more expensive expensive items if there are any you want.
Old 10-31-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Got a mystery coupon at my Gmail account.
Old 10-31-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just Rosemary's Baby and Weekend (Godard) for me this time around.
Old 10-31-12, 11:31 AM

Anybody else having problems getting Criterions to show up on the BN website? I keep getting "Sorry, we could not find what you were looking for." Whether I try to browse titles or search specifically.
Old 10-31-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Got a mystery coupon at my Gmail account.
Me too, only 15%. Hoping to get one at my main email account. Also hoping I get the same clerk who just gave me the full 50%of the mystery coupon when I brought in a 30% that the computer was giving him trouble with.

Originally Posted by hondo21
Anybody else having problems getting Criterions to show up on the BN website? I keep getting "Sorry, we could not find what you were looking for." Whether I try to browse titles or search specifically.
Same. None will show up when I search for specific titles. However the sale is advertised and browsable that way.
Old 10-31-12, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Same. None will show up when I search for specific titles. However the sale is advertised and browsable that way.
Even the browsing method not working for me. Only ones I can pull up are the teaser ones that happen to show up on the main page. Nothing returns if you choose "See all titles" or "Shop the Criterion Collection."

It's the same for everything else too, not just Criterion. I think they have some server issues.

Last edited by hondo21; 10-31-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I was able to get BB to match BN. The discount was off the BB PRICE.
Old 10-31-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alrighty, I'll post my details here. I got Best Buy to price match the 50% sale and got the following for $14.99 each...

-12 Angry Men
-The Game
-Harold & Maude
-Rosemary's Baby

To do the price match, all I had to do was mention the B&N sale and they just edited the price, giving me 50% off of the Best Buy sticker price. I couldn't get RB for $12.50, but I wasn't going to press my luck. She even said that they were sent a letter/memo about the sale, and to just discount all of them if anyone mentioned the sale. So they already knew all about this, which shocks me considering how clueless Best Buy Generally is. I may go back for a few more while the sale is going on.

So this time my anger and frustration didn't come from their customer service, but instead from how they have changed their movies around. I'll post about that in the thread in the Store forum...
Old 10-31-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brent L
Alrighty, I'll post my details here. I got Best Buy to price match the 50% sale and got the following for $14.99 each...

-12 Angry Men
-The Game
-Harold & Maude
-Rosemary's Baby

To do the price match, all I had to do was mention the B&N sale and they just edited the price, giving me 50% off of the Best Buy sticker price. I couldn't get RB for $12.50, but I wasn't going to press my luck. She even said that they were sent a letter/memo about the sale, and to just discount all of them if anyone mentioned the sale. So they already knew all about this, which shocks me considering how clueless Best Buy Generally is. I may go back for a few more while the sale is going on.

So this time my anger and frustration didn't come from their customer service, but instead from how they have changed their movies around. I'll post about that in the thread in the Store forum...
Which BB did you go to?
Old 10-31-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by conscience
Which BB did you go to?
Anderson, SC, the worst Best Buy in existance.

And screw it, here is my story on trying to find them...

I just had the hardest time finding something in Best Buy because of these idiotic changes, and I flat out told every employee that would listen how stupid and idiotic it was.

All I wanted to do was find the two Criterions The Game and Rosemary's Baby, and it took me, and three other employees also looking for them, almost 30 minutes to find them both. They had no clue what the movies were to start with. They couldn't find them then claimed that they both were being sent back to the warehouse since they were "special seasonal Halloween releases" and they wouldn't stock them after today. Well that was obviously bullshit, and I asked them to check the computer. They did, and found one copy of The Game and five copies of Rosemary's Baby in the system.

Long story short, they had The Game listed in drama (which is fine, I'm not arguing that) but whoever stocked it had it listed in the wrong letter. Not only that, but this happened to be one of the titles they had spine out, and considering how the spine on The Game looks, it's easy for anyone to scan right over it. They didn't even find that one for me, I happened to come across it finally.

For Rosemary's Baby, who knows where they had them listed. It wasn't under horror, drama or even action, and I never could find it. Finally an employee came back with one and said they had all copies of it on the new release stand up front. I guess that makes sense, but that was one of the first places I looked. After they found it and told me that I went to all of the new release stands just to see with my own eyes where it was, and they were nowhere to be found. I have no clue where they dug it out from, but it sure wasn't on any of the new release stands.

Say what you will, but I still say this entire setup is a joke. They told me other customers have also complained about not being able to find anything anymore, so it certainly isn't just a few of us here if they were willing to admit that to me.
Old 10-31-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Best Buy doesn't care about its media customers, they will eventually shutter the whole department. It's a strategic withdrawal from using media as a loss-leader. It's a risky gambit but they are losing so much money it doesn't matter.
Old 10-31-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brent L
Anderson, SC, the worst Best Buy in existance.

And screw it, here is my story on trying to find them...

I just had the hardest time finding something in Best Buy because of these idiotic changes, and I flat out told every employee that would listen how stupid and idiotic it was.

All I wanted to do was find the two Criterions The Game and Rosemary's Baby, and it took me, and three other employees also looking for them, almost 30 minutes to find them both. They had no clue what the movies were to start with. They couldn't find them then claimed that they both were being sent back to the warehouse since they were "special seasonal Halloween releases" and they wouldn't stock them after today. Well that was obviously bullshit, and I asked them to check the computer. They did, and found one copy of The Game and five copies of Rosemary's Baby in the system.

Long story short, they had The Game listed in drama (which is fine, I'm not arguing that) but whoever stocked it had it listed in the wrong letter. Not only that, but this happened to be one of the titles they had spine out, and considering how the spine on The Game looks, it's easy for anyone to scan right over it. They didn't even find that one for me, I happened to come across it finally.

For Rosemary's Baby, who knows where they had them listed. It wasn't under horror, drama or even action, and I never could find it. Finally an employee came back with one and said they had all copies of it on the new release stand up front. I guess that makes sense, but that was one of the first places I looked. After they found it and told me that I went to all of the new release stands just to see with my own eyes where it was, and they were nowhere to be found. I have no clue where they dug it out from, but it sure wasn't on any of the new release stands.

Say what you will, but I still say this entire setup is a joke. They told me other customers have also complained about not being able to find anything anymore, so it certainly isn't just a few of us here if they were willing to admit that to me.
Darn. I was hoping it was the Greenville store so they would already know about it. I am going to hit up that BB and then B&N today. Looking to grab In the Mood For Love, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Rosemary's Baby and some other title from a small list of wants.

So they have the movies by genre (again?) now? I believe BB used to have dvds by genre but it may have been Circuit City. I know the one in Greenville has all blus alphabetically (sans some sale items), but I haven't been there in a couple of months so I am not sure if it has changed.
Old 10-31-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, they are in the process of changing all stores to this layout, so I've been told. I believe Greenville has made the change already. Yeah, it was CC that had the same idiotic layout, I hate it. Check the thread I made here...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...-blu-rays.html
Old 10-31-12, 02:07 PM

Ah, so these Halloween coupons are the mystery coupons? Despite being signed up to receive emails from B&N, I never get these.
Old 10-31-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jewellrunner
Ah, so these Halloween coupons are the mystery coupons? Despite being signed up to receive emails from B&N, I never get these.
I never do either, and I'd love to know how to make it work.
Old 10-31-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I placed an order this morning and it still hasn't shown up on the website and I haven't received a confirmation e-mail. I called shortly afterwards and the CSR said their system is in maitenance.
Old 10-31-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Signed up for a new membership last night and went by B&N today to pick up Rosemary's Baby. Membership info wasn't in the system yet, but the guy working that dept. was still able to get me the discount.

Handed over an $8 off $40 coupon and he took it with no issues. He even got a chuckle as I kept handing him pieces of paper(membership info, $8/$40 cpn, $10 eigiftcard) while checking me out.

Total paid $11.52.
Old 10-31-12, 03:17 PM

Tried to price match at Best Buy. I was told that Best Buy does not Price Match local competitor's sales. I made him repeat that word for word to make sure I wasn't hearing something wrong.
Old 10-31-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tasog37
Tried to price match at Best Buy. I was told that Best Buy does not Price Match local competitor's sales. I made him repeat that word for word to make sure I wasn't hearing something wrong.
Their corporate price match policy changed (read: improved) recently. I don't recall if the change covers movies. Which location did you go to? I was going to try my luck at a Manhattan store once the subways are back up.
Old 10-31-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Qatsi Trilogy, Rosemary's Baby, and Dazed and Confused for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.