Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-12, 07:23 AM   #26
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 24,593
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
Since it's no longer 4/19, the deal is dead.
Maybe for you, but the DVDTalkers in Pago Pago can still get in on it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 12:03 PM   #27
Superdaddy
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,056
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Harris has certainly taken some odd stances. I won't say I agree with him on everything, but for $10, I decided to take a chance. I ended up ordering:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Hustler
An Affair to Remember
All About Eve
Tora, Tora, Tora

I had some credit and some points, so it didn't cost me much at all. A couple of those I've been meaning to pick up for a while and almost did a couple of times at higher prices. I guess I'm happy I waited. I was tempted to pick up The Comancheros, especially since I've been on a bit of a Western kick lately, but decided to hold off.
I've been increasingly interested in westerns as well, over the last couple of years. Was very tempted by Comancheros when it was $11.99 a little while back, but at $9.99 my will was broken!

I blew the last of my rewards points on this order as well, but my amazon Visa closes today, so I should have more points in my account shortly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 03:45 PM   #28
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 26,816
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Those who bought yesterday, check your Gold Box today : My Gold Box is usually empty except one or two crappy items, but today it's packed with Collector's Blu Ray Editions, including several Universal 100th Anniversary ones. Most awesome : Jaws was there. That was a no-question, day-one purchase for me, so I grabbed it with the extra 5% discount they give on Gold Box items.
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 05:23 PM   #29
ProfessorEcho
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 1,947
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

I agree that Robert Harris can be a good barometer for what's right and wrong with a Blu release and I enjoy reading him for the most part though he is not a very good writer or critic per se. Still, he has swayed me quite a bit from buying or not buying a particular title and his technical expertise is invaluable.

SuperDaddy, you will never regret buying COMANCHEROS. It's one of the Duke's best and most enjoyable pictures and the Blu transfer is excellent. Throw in some superb extras and you have a great package, especially at $9.99!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 05:29 PM   #30
Superdaddy
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,056
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
SuperDaddy, you will never regret buying COMANCHEROS. It's one of the Duke's best and most enjoyable pictures and the Blu transfer is excellent. Throw in some superb extras and you have a great package, especially at $9.99!
I am excited; my amazon package just arrived a little while ago!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 05:33 PM   #31
clckworang
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 6,205
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
I've been increasingly interested in westerns as well, over the last couple of years. Was very tempted by Comancheros when it was $11.99 a little while back, but at $9.99 my will was broken!

I blew the last of my rewards points on this order as well, but my amazon Visa closes today, so I should have more points in my account shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
I agree that Robert Harris can be a good barometer for what's right and wrong with a Blu release and I enjoy reading him for the most part though he is not a very good writer or critic per se. Still, he has swayed me quite a bit from buying or not buying a particular title and his technical expertise is invaluable.

SuperDaddy, you will never regret buying COMANCHEROS. It's one of the Duke's best and most enjoyable pictures and the Blu transfer is excellent. Throw in some superb extras and you have a great package, especially at $9.99!
Come on! Did you really have to go there and give me non-buyer's regret? I *am* kicking myself a bit that I didn't go ahead and just spend $10 more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 05:43 PM   #32
laidbacklarkin
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,480
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

don't worry, man. if its $9.99 once, its going to be $9.99 plenty more times. take the Hitch releases for e.g the recent wave of Notorious, Spellbound and Rebecca at Costco for $9.99 had everyone driving in hordes cos elsewhere they were $14.99 or more. well, guess what - they're $8.99 this week in Frys. so relax, don't despair - Fox HAS to sell the million it manufactured...and they ain't gonna sell them all at $24.99
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 10:50 PM   #33
ProfessorEcho
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 1,947
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Clckworang, I'm just sorry that I didn't see your post about not buying THE COMANCHEROS until today. If I had seen it yesterday, I would have definitely encouraged you to get it. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a little kid.

In any case, Larkin is right about it coming down in price again sooner or later. I really think the gimmick of the Blu Ray books is fading and most of them will be reduced at some point. And the rest of the titles you got are all great. I haven't seen TORA TORA TORA in years, but the reviews for the movie and the Blu were so positive I picked it up at the last Blu book sale during the winter. I plan on watching it on December 7.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 11:23 AM   #34
clckworang
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 6,205
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
don't worry, man. if its $9.99 once, its going to be $9.99 plenty more times. take the Hitch releases for e.g the recent wave of Notorious, Spellbound and Rebecca at Costco for $9.99 had everyone driving in hordes cos elsewhere they were $14.99 or more. well, guess what - they're $8.99 this week in Frys. so relax, don't despair - Fox HAS to sell the million it manufactured...and they ain't gonna sell them all at $24.99
Mean! You bring up those Hitchcock movies I've been wanting and use those sales from two places not in my area as examples to make me feel better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
Clckworang, I'm just sorry that I didn't see your post about not buying THE COMANCHEROS until today. If I had seen it yesterday, I would have definitely encouraged you to get it. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a little kid.

In any case, Larkin is right about it coming down in price again sooner or later. I really think the gimmick of the Blu Ray books is fading and most of them will be reduced at some point. And the rest of the titles you got are all great. I haven't seen TORA TORA TORA in years, but the reviews for the movie and the Blu were so positive I picked it up at the last Blu book sale during the winter. I plan on watching it on December 7.
But yeah, I'm going to keep my eye out. It *will* drop again.

Good idea on saving Tora Tora Tora for Dec. 7.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 01:25 PM   #35
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Doucheville, OR
Posts: 39,565
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
don't worry, man. if its $9.99 once, its going to be $9.99 plenty more times. take the Hitch releases for e.g the recent wave of Notorious, Spellbound and Rebecca at Costco for $9.99 had everyone driving in hordes cos elsewhere they were $14.99 or more. well, guess what - they're $8.99 this week in Frys. so relax, don't despair - Fox HAS to sell the million it manufactured...and they ain't gonna sell them all at $24.99
Totally agree. Was going to get Tora!3 but needed to buy car stuff. If they dropped to this price once, it's a very good sign they will be at this price again.
__________________
Blu-ray Titles: ~546 | HD DVD Titles: ~323

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 05:24 PM   #36
CapRockBrewingCo.
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
CapRockBrewingCo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Formerly known as "cwwallace"/29.92, -95.09
Posts: 2,074
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

These are back on sale at Amazon for $10 as of today.

Titles include:
Terminator
An Affair to Remember
All About Eve
The Usual Suspects
Rocky
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Hustler
The Comancheros
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

I picked up The Hustler - may end up getting a couple more.
__________________
Movie Library
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 06:55 PM   #37
Superdaddy
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,056
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Ahhhhhhh, back to tempt me yet again! I hope clckworang sees this.

I also have pre-orders for 1900 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers in my quick picks right now. Amazon is trying to send me to the poor house lol.

EDIT: Ordered The Hustler. I really am done with these now.

Last edited by Superdaddy; 05-07-12 at 07:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 10:10 PM   #38
Manzana
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Good movies on the list, but I'm still holding out for lower prices. I get burned by lower prices almost every time I cave in and pay $10 for a BD. I passed last time and will pass this time. When they hit that magic $7 number, I'll probably buy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 10:54 PM   #39
CapRockBrewingCo.
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
CapRockBrewingCo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Formerly known as "cwwallace"/29.92, -95.09
Posts: 2,074
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Good movies on the list, but I'm still holding out for lower prices. I get burned by lower prices almost every time I cave in and pay $10 for a BD. I passed last time and will pass this time. When they hit that magic $7 number, I'll probably buy.
I guess I see your point but I doubt they'll get that low, especially with an SRP of $35. If I really want a film, I'd never let $3 prevent me from owning it. Also based on the popularity of this sale, I suspect Amazon moves quite a few of these at $10. They have no reason to sell them for less other than to fail at business.
__________________
Movie Library
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 07:47 AM   #40
That'sAllFolks
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,430
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwallace View Post
I guess I see your point but I doubt they'll get that low, especially with an SRP of $35. If I really want a film, I'd never let $3 prevent me from owning it. Also based on the popularity of this sale, I suspect Amazon moves quite a few of these at $10. They have no reason to sell them for less other than to fail at business.
That is really a crapshoot. Last time I bought 3 and would like to have them all, but at $10 a pop, suddenly it's a 100 dollar purchase (many of these I already own on BD). I really wonder if these are selling as well as you think. This is not the first time we've seen a DOTD resurface again. Godfather BD did it (and was cheaper). I don't remember that happening in years past. The economy may be affecting Amazon more than we think.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 07:49 AM   #41
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,411
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Good movies on the list, but I'm still holding out for lower prices. I get burned by lower prices almost every time I cave in and pay $10 for a BD. I passed last time and will pass this time. When they hit that magic $7 number, I'll probably buy.
Many of us are waiting for you to pull the trigger, so we can get it for a lower price.
__________________
DVD/BD Spending Tab: 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Rank 'Em As You See 'Em: 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 08:36 AM   #42
dvdjunkie32
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,628
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

I was a bit disappointed in these digibooks. The spine size is much slimmer than your standard digibook, and feels more flimsy. If I'm going to pay extra for digi, I like things to stay uniform.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 09:18 AM   #43
Manzana
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Well, I've never paid attention to SRPs. I know digibooks are more expensive just because of the booklet, but that doesn't mean I want to pay more. The main problem is not that these movies aren't worth $10 each... for those who don't already own them in any format, but that I already have the collector edition DVDs of most of them (some still sealed) and it's a little tough to pay $10 again just for a DVD to BD upgrade. Butch Cassidy is a favorite of mine and I'd go for that one except for all the talk about its poor transfer.

Now if there were any market for used (or even new) DVDs, that could change my mind, but I've checked around and haven't found anything worthwhile.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 09:34 AM   #44
clckworang
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 6,205
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
Ahhhhhhh, back to tempt me yet again! I hope clckworang sees this.

I also have pre-orders for 1900 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers in my quick picks right now. Amazon is trying to send me to the poor house lol.

EDIT: Ordered The Hustler. I really am done with these now.
Yeah, I saw it. Why do these things always come up in bunches? I was already planning on dropping a good chunk of cash at Best Buy today! Oh, the temptation!

In all honesty, I'm sure I will cave. Of those, The Comancheros is the only one left I think I want to order. I'm trying to hold out for better versions of Terminator and The Usual Suspects. Am I crazy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 09:44 AM   #45
laidbacklarkin
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,480
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Well, I've never paid attention to SRPs. I know digibooks are more expensive just because of the booklet, but that doesn't mean I want to pay more. The main problem is not that these movies aren't worth $10 each... for those who don't already own them in any format, but that I already have the collector edition DVDs of most of them (some still sealed) and it's a little tough to pay $10 again just for a DVD to BD upgrade. Butch Cassidy is a favorite of mine and I'd go for that one except for all the talk about its poor transfer.

Now if there were any market for used (or even new) DVDs, that could change my mind, but I've checked around and haven't found anything worthwhile.
I agree. I have the same philosophy - digibook or not, its the movie in it that has to command the price, not the slick packaging. The last time this DOTD came around, I bit and bought the Comancheros (an effort to slowly build a John Wayne collection). Although I ended up paying $7.xx at warehouse deals the same day, I regretted it upon watching the film. No idea how anyone can give that film anything more than 2 stars and no idea why it demanded to be produced in such a beautiful digibook package. The experience has reduced my excitement in these digibooks - my thoughts were that these were excellent movies and hence the premium packaging. They're not (although movie tastes are subjective). Am waiting and watching now. If these stay $10, good chance they will wind up on gohastings used lot in the future. with one of those 30% off used coupons, it will probably be in the range am willing to pay. No way these movies are worth $10
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 12:40 PM   #46
Manzana
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

laidbacklarkin, regarding The Comancheros, I agree it's not that great of a film, but it's a John Wayne western and lots of people (like me) like John Wayne and his westerns, so I think that's why it's popular. His best western was (IMHO) Big Jake and McLintock for comedy western. In fact, I like just about anything with John Wayne as long as it's in color.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 02:04 PM   #47
Jaymole
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 6,695
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I'm trying to hold out for better versions of Terminator and The Usual Suspects. Am I crazy?
Nope...I'm doing the same thing...but then again, I am certified insane
__________________
Feast Your Eyes, Glut Your Soul on My Accursed Ugliness!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 04:09 PM   #48
Future Man
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 107
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Rocky or Comancheros?

So glad I got The Hustler last go-round...what a gripping film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 05:22 PM   #49
ProfessorEcho
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 1,947
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

And thus what makes a horse race....

I think COMANCHEROS is a GREAT film on every level, well directed, produced, written, performed, extremely entertaining and fun, an essential piece of the John Wayne canon. The Blu is spectacular and has very good extras. For $10 it's a steal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 05:43 PM   #50
Manzana
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Re: Amazon DOTD 4/19 Digibooks $9.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
And thus what makes a horse race....

I think COMANCHEROS is a GREAT film on every level, well directed, produced, written, performed, extremely entertaining and fun, an essential piece of the John Wayne canon. The Blu is spectacular and has very good extras. For $10 it's a steal.
I said it's not that great of a film, but I never said it was bad. I bought it on DVD long ago, probably paid almost $10, and never opened it. It's entertaining and it's John Wayne, but if I'm in a John Wayne mood it's usually Big Jake, McLintock, True Grit, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, or Rio Lobo I go to first. Comancheros, North to Alaska, and Sons of Katie Elder are good but usually aren't my first choice. Too bad my unopened Comancheros DVD has so little trade-in value anywhere or I'd put that towards the $10 BD.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.