Reload this Page >

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Old 05-08-12, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
That's what I'm planning to do. I placed a store pick up order last night to make sure they have the bulk of the titles I want first. I was going to do the U&S transaction first, then add the manufacturer coupons second. Then when I make payment use my RZ certificate.
So, u will have to return all of them to rebuy. Hopefully, u don't get a grumpy, lowly cashier. I've had to report a few for bad customer service. When u want to keep impulse, high spenders or the avg. Buyer, employees are there to assist, not sigh or show little training.
Old 05-08-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Well, I've talked about taking advantage of this program quite a bit but never did it. I finally took the plunge today during my lunch break I traded in 4 DVDs that would have fetched me 50 cents or less to trade at Amazon and ended up walking away with The Descendants (with manufacturer's coupon as well) and 3 3D Blu-rays (How to Train Your Dragon, Megamind and The Final Destination) for $56 and change. Such a great deal!

Now I'm debating whether I want to get a couple more titles, especially the 3D ones. I considered Green Lantern, but I'm pretty meh on the movie and heard the 3D wasn't that great. I heard the same about the 3D in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 but would have bought it had it been in stock at the store I went. I wish the Kung Fu Panda movies and Captain America were just a bit cheaper. It would make the decision much easier.
Old 05-08-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Looks like Chuck Season 5 is still showing as $26.99 for blu-ray instead of the advertised $34.99, so some may be able to snag it for $21.99 after U&S. Pretty good deal for a day-one season release.
Unfortunately I already ordered from Amazon and returning will kill most of the savings
Old 05-08-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Snagged Dante's Peak today and probably one more before Friday, the Apollo 13 I didn't get the other day.
Old 05-08-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Unfortunately I already ordered from Amazon and returning will kill most of the savings
Just refuse the package. You won't have to pay anything to return it... Granted, if you have other items in the shipment, I suppose that won't be an option...

Originally Posted by Daryl
I saw a guy today trade in 4 blu-rays. They let him do it. And they let him use one of the coupons to buy a DVD. Go figure.
Was this in an alternate universe?
Old 05-08-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, my store didn't have any of the Steelbooks. I'll have to try another store on the way home from work... I didn't have any trade-in coupons left anyway (used 10 between yesterday and today) so this gives me time to pick up a 25 cent DVD... I've used at least 39 U & S coupons this time, way more than I could have ever imagined using. I only traded in 3-4 legitimate DVD's, about 20 sampler discs, 3 25-cent DVD's, and at least a dozen coupons that I was given back at the register.
Today I returned my 5 web-order titles, and re-purchased in-store:
Confessions of a Shopaholic
I Spit on Your Grave (old)
I Spit on Your Grave (new)
The Guardian
Road to Perdition

Also bought:
Megamind 3D
How to train your Dragon 3D
Major League (100th Anniversary)
We Bought a Zoo
Men In Black

Previously:
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3
Demolition Man
Life as We Know It
Space Jam
The Descendants
Madagascar
Madagascar 2
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Apollo 13 (100th ann)
Hellraiser Collection
Couples Retreat
Men In Black II
Ferris Buehler (100th ann)
Conan the Barbarian
The Prophecy Collection
Wes Craven Collection
Nikita S1
Supernatural S2, S5, S6
Excalibur
MP & the Holy Grail
The Fifth Element
The Big Lebowski
Big
It's Kind of a Funny Story
From Dusk Til Dawn Collection
Underworld Awakening 3D

Now ask me when I'm gonna watch all these!!! Many of them, possibly never! Yes, I have a problem. I was trying to be selective, too. For instance, I passed on any titles with no extras, except for the 4-packs. And the majority of my titles were $5 AC. I was trying to avoid the higher priced titles, or I would have probably bought twice as many...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 05-08-12 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 04:38 PM

About it working for music blu-rays, I don't think it does even though it says in the first post. I went today to get The Grateful Dead Movie and when he scanned the coupon it didn't do anything. He paged a supervisor asking if he could just take the $5 off manually and I don't know what she said but he then said "no, it's a movie, it's called the grateful dead movie" So I'm assuming she said it doesn't work on concert blu-rays. He took it off manually after that anyway but I don't think he really was supposed to.
Old 05-08-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Imail724
About it working for music blu-rays, I don't think it does even though it says in the first post. I went today to get The Grateful Dead Movie and when he scanned the coupon it didn't do anything. He paged a supervisor asking if he could just take the $5 off manually and I don't know what she said but he then said "no, it's a movie, it's called the grateful dead movie" So I'm assuming she said it doesn't work on concert blu-rays. He took it off manually after that anyway but I don't think he really was supposed to.
I bought 2 concert Blu-rays on Saturday and had no trouble using the U&S coupons. They scanned and took $5 off each. I made sure of it before I left the store.
Old 05-08-12, 05:24 PM

Traded in a couple of dollar store dvds for:

When Harry Met Sally ($2 after manufacturer's coupon)
Breaking Bad S3 ($18)
Old 05-08-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Now ask me when I'm gonna watch all these!!! Many of them, possibly never! Yes, I have a problem. I was trying to be selective, too. For instance, I passed on any titles with no extras, except for the 4-packs. And the majority of my titles were $5 AC. I was trying to avoid the higher priced titles, or I would have probably bought twice as many...
This is what I have been trying to do this round of U&S. I think my total so far is around 10. And with the exception of Underworld: Awakening & The Ring, I think the rest of them have been $5(except for The Descendants).

Tried to show some restraint as there were plenty of other $5 titles I was tempted to buy, but I held off getting them. I did buy Rocky I-IV despite not so glowing transfers or extras. But I have been wanting to watch these again and did not own them on on any format.

I may make one more trip to another BBY before the end of the week as there are a couple of titles my local store does not have.
Old 05-08-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did this for the first time today. Do they usually give you your recycling receipt and coupons back?
Old 05-08-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

No just the receipt.
Old 05-08-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
No just the receipt.
Sweet, she handed them back to me with the receipt still stapled to the bunch.
Old 05-08-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daryl
I saw a guy today trade in 4 blu-rays. They let him do it. And they let him use one of the coupons to buy a DVD. Go figure.
WTF? Curious, I assume it was cheap blurays?
Old 05-08-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did the coupon work automatically on the DVD or did they have to override it? I'd love to get the latest Futurama set, but they don't have the Blu at my store.
Old 05-08-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I took advantage of this deal today for the first time. At my store, the guy actually opened up the cases and checked the discs for scratches. But once that was done he handed me the 5 coupons as well as a reciept, no spiel about having to use the coupons immediately or anything.

Went into the store with 3 old demo discs that I got from Best Buy, along with old snapper versions of Logan's Run and Superman III. I left with:

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) $4.99
Kick-Ass (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) $4.99
Pulp Fiction $4.99
Underworld: Awakening $14.99
WWE WrestleMania XXVIII 2-Disc Set $14.99
Old 05-08-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was curious to see what would be acceptable for a trade-in, so yesterday I brought in a Region 4 Fred Astaire Disc, and a Circuit City X-Men sampler that ws in a cardboard case the size of a cd cover. Both were accepted without any problems.
Old 05-08-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Imail724
Exact same BR, i had a manager manually take off the $5. I think BB mistakenly inputs some of their concert BR's as cd's.
Old 05-08-12, 09:42 PM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

I overspent this time around, picked up the following 3D movies for $14.99: Green Lantern, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Deep Sea IMAX, Under the Sea IMAX. Also picked up Underworld Awakenings 3D for $19.99 (didn't see the steel book), Descendants for $1.99, and The Ring for $9.99. I spent 15 minutes just now peeling all of the stickers off of the lenticular covers. The Ring cover is awesome once the stickers are off!
Old 05-08-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

On the way back from work I picked up with my last 4 coupons:

Underworld: Legacy Collection: $39.99

The Vow: $17.99

Chuck: Season 5: $21.99

Colombiana: $12.99

I wasn't planning on picking up the entire Underworld collection, but for essentially $10 each, it seemed like a good deal. Was pleasantly surprised to see Chuck for $26.99 before the coupon.
Old 05-08-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
I'm thinking you are going to have problems. The main one being that you will need to do a return/rebuy in order to apply the U&S. They cannot process a return for store pickup orders for at least two hours after you pick up your order.
Originally Posted by ballershanelle
So, u will have to return all of them to rebuy. Hopefully, u don't get a grumpy, lowly cashier. I've had to report a few for bad customer service. When u want to keep impulse, high spenders or the avg. Buyer, employees are there to assist, not sigh or show little training.
I did have a problem today when I tried to pick up my order at the store, but it was mainly trying to use manufacturer coupons with U&S. The return and repurchase portion was the least of my worries since that went fairly smoothly. The women in customer service would only allow me to either use a coupon or DVD trade in coupon, and not both. She said they could not allow two discounts. So I decided to just cancel the whole thing and try another store instead.

The other store was 10 miles further but thought it might be worth the gamble. Fortunately they had everything I wanted when I searched, and was able to get the same titles I had at the other store. Initially the woman who was helping me in customer service didn't think they could use the coupons with the U&S promotion, but after checking with her manager they decided to allow it.

In the end was able to use 4 manufacturer coupons along with 5 trade in DVDs and a RZ cert on my purchase. Had to pad my purchase with 4 $7.99 titles to use up the remaining RZ cert. Ended up costing only a dollar out of my pocket for 9 blu-ray movies.

Ended up with the following blu-ray titles.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Caddyshack
The Descendants
The Deer Hunter
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
A Fistful of Dollars
Midnight Cowboy
To Catch a Thief
When Harry Met Sally

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
The store I shop at always takes RZ cert. before manu. coupons. Ran into this issue once or twice in the past with Disney titles.
You're correct. In the end that's how they had to do it to get the RZ cert to go through. The woman who helped me said she never had a transaction that used both manufacturer coupons and U&S coupons. She ended up having to do it twice before everything went though with the RZ cert. She scanned my RZ card and cert before entering the other coupons.
Old 05-09-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Was curious to see what would be acceptable for a trade-in, so yesterday I brought in a Region 4 Fred Astaire Disc, and a Circuit City X-Men sampler that ws in a cardboard case the size of a cd cover. Both were accepted without any problems.
I unloaded 3 region 2 PAL DVDS for trade in today that I upgraded to blu. I figure it is a lot easier than trying to sell them. I would imagine they would be difficult to sell since most people don't have region free players.

I did get a little blow back on one of them because on the rear of the cover it said something about for rental or resale. However they did finally take it after looking it over more closely
Old 05-09-12, 12:30 AM
Cool New Member

I just realized that the Wyatt Earp and Jesse James double pack is 9.99 along with the Last Boy Scout/Last Man Standing. Which means with trade and save that's four films for about ten bucks. All the Die Hard movies are 9.99 this week as well.

Titles I want but passed on are:
American Werewolf in London
Silence of the Lambs
Gladiator
To Catch A Thief
Old 05-09-12, 02:48 AM

I went in today to pick up the Underworld 3d steelbook for me and one for a friend. While I was there I picked up a couple Harry Potter 3d movies (part 7.1 and 7.2) that were marked as $14.99 but rang up as $19.99 so they had to override it. I also exchanged my MI Ghost Protocol (I picked the wrong one up) and picked up a couple Ghostrider pre-order steelbooks. Almost everything that could go wrong did, but the employee and manager were both great about it and got it sorted. First the HP price mix up, then the Ghostrider pre-orders wanted to ring up at full price rather than the $5 down payment. After all was said and done I got to my car and realized the coupons didn't get applied to the HP movies and I had to go back in and get it adjusted. All and all about 30 minutes, but at least they were helpful. I've been there with some pretty unpleasant employees before in less complicated transactions.
Old 05-09-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I am probably done with trade & save, I picked up the following six over the assorted weeks. Nothing grand, but I was able to save some money which is nice for dvds I can't get anything for.

(all prices after trade in)
9 1/2 Weeks $9.99
Airplane $9.99
Men in Black $9.99 (and $10 movie cash for MIB 3 woot!)
Men in Black 2 $9.99 (ditto, free movie FTW!)
Underworld Awakening (Steelbook) $19.99
Wrestlemania XXVIII $14.99

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.