Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Originally Posted by nando820
The good thing about the Bellevue store though is that usually they have the titles that other stores have already run out of.
I haven't been too impressed with their blu selection, on three occasions recently I've gone Tues after work and the new release I wanted was long gone. I prefer Lynnwood overall.
Old 05-03-12, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FilmJunkie29
Was 13 ASSASSINS on sale at your store? At the one here it's $19.99, as is the online price. Would love to pick up that movie for $10.
the sticker said $14.99 and it rang up that way as well
Old 05-03-12, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I keep hoping new budget titles will turn up in store before 5/12.............
Old 05-03-12, 07:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Yes, manufacturers coupons are supposed to be treated as cash, essentially. Don't even show them until after you give your trade/save coupons and get a new total cost.
Old 05-03-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang it, picked up American Gangster but it rang up as 7.99 on sale. If it goes back to 9.99 on Sunday I can return and rebuy right?
Old 05-03-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
I have been using the technique of taking my DVDs to the store with me.. then shopping to ensure there were titles I wanted... then I go out to my car and bring back in enough DVDs to get coupons for the titles I will actually buy... last time I had 2 coupons I almost went nuts trying to use before they expired..
What I have been doing is taking the DVDs in with me and getting the stickers (as if they were returns), but then shopping first and doing the trade/purchase all at once at customer service. I've done this three times so far with no problems.
Old 05-03-12, 11:03 AM

I hope addditional desirable $9.99 titles come out before the coupons expire. Hate to be left with 9-10 unused coupons but I don't want to spend money on 'kinda want' titles.
Old 05-03-12, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
What I have been doing is taking the DVDs in with me and getting the stickers (as if they were returns), but then shopping first and doing the trade/purchase all at once at customer service. I've done this three times so far with no problems.
Me, too. I will not walk out of the store with vouchers.

My BestBuy.com order arrives today with four $9.99 Blus that can't be found in store. Worst-case scenario is I return them and walk out empty handed, but I'm hopeful I can return them to the store (that hinted I should do this...), and then repurchase them with trade-ins, so I walk out with four $4.99 Blus.

And it looks like next week, Best Buy has a couple of new $9.99 Blus I'll want: Dances with Wolves and Apollo 13, as well as some so-so prices on seasons of Big Bang Theory and Fringe ($16.99 after trade in).

Last edited by lumberjack; 05-03-12 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Future Man
I hope addditional desirable $9.99 titles come out before the coupons expire. Hate to be left with 9-10 unused coupons but I don't want to spend money on 'kinda want' titles.
I never get stuck with expiring DVD coupons. The last few days of their "life", if there is nothing else I want, I'll leave my coupons in the BD shelves of my local Best Buys.
Old 05-03-12, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
I do this as well; hate having to go back out to the car.

Although the customer service desk has only asked me to make my coupon purchases at the time of trade-in just once in about 10 trips so far.
Old 05-03-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

looking forward to snagging GREMLINS 2 next week for $10
Old 05-03-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Future Man
Why would you trade in movies though if they don't even have something for you to buy though? That is what I can't understand. You basically missed out most likely on more coupons on the next time they have an upgrade sale, which based on rumors if true would be around Aug/Sep. By then imagine they will have another run of decent titles to purchase for $5 again after coupon.
Old 05-03-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I keep hoping new budget titles will turn up in store before 5/12.............
Ditto, especially since the sale on a lot of the titles for $9.99 ends this Saturday. Would hope a whole new batch replaces them starting Sunday.
Old 05-03-12, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Why would you trade in movies though if they don't even have something for you to buy though? That is what I can't understand. You basically missed out most likely on more coupons on the next time they have an upgrade sale, which based on rumors if true would be around Aug/Sep. By then imagine they will have another run of decent titles to purchase for $5 again after coupon.
Good point...the titles I have traded in were the kind that I have repeatedly listed on ebay without success, e.g Master & Commander full screen...glad just to be rid of them frankly...I have many more titles like that sadly...plus I have not frequented Best Buy in years and did not realize that their sale/low priced titles do not necessarily change out every week.
Old 05-03-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I have 7 coupons left. Today I used 3 of them and picked up:

Mortal Kombat Legacy: $9.99

Men in Black with $10 Movie Cash to see MIB III: $9.99 Pretty much getting this for free.

New Year's Eve combo pack: $17.99

Next week with my remaining 4 coupons I hope to get:

Underworld: Awakening

Chuck season 5 (if it's not too expensive)

Men in Black II with the $10 MIB III cash

Either The Vow or Mother's Day
Old 05-03-12, 04:09 PM

Traded in 3 dollar store dvds and 2 GOT sampler blus for:

Psycho
Spartacus
Braveheart (100 yr Paramount slipcover)
Cool Hand Luke
Rocky III (blu/Dvd)

...all $5/ea

Long live Trade and Save!
Old 05-03-12, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if this was asked already, but does this offer apply to music blu-rays?
Old 05-03-12, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Imail724
Sorry if this was asked already, but does this offer apply to music blu-rays?
Yes, the offer is for any blu ray $9.99 and up.
Old 05-03-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have 7 coupons left. Today I used 3 of them and picked up:

Mortal Kombat Legacy: $9.99

Men in Black with $10 Movie Cash to see MIB III: $9.99 Pretty much getting this for free.

New Year's Eve combo pack: $17.99

Next week with my remaining 4 coupons I hope to get:

Underworld: Awakening

Chuck season 5 (if it's not too expensive)

Men in Black II with the $10 MIB III cash

Either The Vow or Mother's Day
Is there a reason you're waiting on MIB II until next week? Just trying to consolidate your trip, or is it on sale next week?
Chuck S5 BD will be $34.99, so $29.99 with coupon.
Old 05-03-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Is there a reason you're waiting on MIB II until next week? Just trying to consolidate your trip, or is it on sale next week?
Chuck S5 BD will be $34.99, so $29.99 with coupon.
Thx for the headsup on Chuck. $29.99 is a fair price for me.

No, it's not on sale next week. The receipt that I had today had 3 coupons. The remaining 4 are on a different receipt that I plan to use next week. That's why I'm holding off on MIB II so I can get all the stuff I want next week together.
Old 05-03-12, 05:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Got stuck in an hour-long traffic jam on my way to my slightly-out-of-the-way Best Buy today. I was right behind a decrepit old truck that said "Trust Jesus" on it. BB itself was no better -- I spent a good 25 minutes in customer service, first behind a guy who rolled his eyes at me because they were taking so long, then waiting for them (meaning, 3 different people) to figure out how to do a price match. I went to make an initial purchase with a leftover U&S coupon. I was also buying a copy of The Blues Brothers, which was on sale for $7.99. It rang up at $14.99 and the salesgirl applied the coupon towards it. I told her, no, there's a sign that says Blues Brothers $7.99. She asked the "guard" to check, and he came back and said "The sign says $7.99 after the $5 upgrade & save." I'm like, Oh, I'm sorry it was my mistake. So I said I just want The Big Lebowski. She argued that it wasn't a blu-ray, and was obviously irritated by the whole thing.

I sat in my car for a few minutes and wondered if I should just drive to the other local BB. I decided to go back in with my movie trade, and maybe try a different cashier. I looked at the sign, and it said Blues Brothers $7.99, reg. $14.99. And I found a second sign that said the same thing in the aisle, with a bunch more copies of the disc. So I asked one of the workers who are always hovering around what the story was. He was apologetic and nice about it. We eventually found a copy without a slipcover that was actually connected to the sale. I honestly didn't know there was more than one version of the blu-ray. But this doesn't excuse the fact that the initial fucking guy who did the price check LIED about the sign to make me look like an ass in front of other people. Don't know if I'll be going back to that particular store anytime soon.
Old 05-03-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Thx for the headsup on Chuck. $29.99 is a fair price for me. No, it's not on sale next week. The receipt that I had today had 3 coupons. The remaining 4 are on a different receipt that I plan to use next week. That's why I'm holding off on MIB II so I can get all the stuff I want next week together.
As pointed out on another site, BBY.com has the season five pre-order listed @ 26.99. Not sure why it has "Fullscreen" on there though.
Old 05-03-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
Got stuck in an hour-long traffic jam on my way to my slightly-out-of-the-way Best Buy today. I was right behind a decrepit old truck that said "Trust Jesus" on it. BB itself was no better -- I spent a good 25 minutes in customer service, first behind a guy who rolled his eyes at me because they were taking so long, then waiting for them (meaning, 3 different people) to figure out how to do a price match. I went to make an initial purchase with a leftover U&S coupon. I was also buying a copy of The Blues Brothers, which was on sale for $7.99. It rang up at $14.99 and the salesgirl applied the coupon towards it. I told her, no, there's a sign that says Blues Brothers $7.99. She asked the "guard" to check, and he came back and said "The sign says $7.99 after the $5 upgrade & save." I'm like, Oh, I'm sorry it was my mistake. So I said I just want The Big Lebowski. She argued that it wasn't a blu-ray, and was obviously irritated by the whole thing.

I sat in my car for a few minutes and wondered if I should just drive to the other local BB. I decided to go back in with my movie trade, and maybe try a different cashier. I looked at the sign, and it said Blues Brothers $7.99, reg. $14.99. And I found a second sign that said the same thing in the aisle, with a bunch more copies of the disc. So I asked one of the workers who are always hovering around what the story was. He was apologetic and nice about it. We eventually found a copy without a slipcover that was actually connected to the sale. I honestly didn't know there was more than one version of the blu-ray. But this doesn't excuse the fact that the initial fucking guy who did the price check LIED about the sign to make me look like an ass in front of other people. Don't know if I'll be going back to that particular store anytime soon.
Which store in MA was this?
Old 05-03-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by walletboyniac

There are two different versions of the Blues Brothers on blu-ray. The newer 100th anniversary edition is listed for $14.99 on the web site. The earlier release of the Blue Brothers is listed for $7.99. My local store for some reason had it listed for $9.99, which works out better for the upgrade and save promotion. If I didn't have it already I would have grabbed it at $4.99 with a trade in DVD.
Old 05-03-12, 06:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Which store in MA was this?
Holyoke, MA.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.