Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Casablanca single disc Blu-ray at Target

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casablanca single disc Blu-ray at Target

Target has the box set for $39.99 and also an exclusive single-disc blu-ray for $19.99.

The single disc version appears to have all the same content as the 2 blu-rays that are in the deluxe set including the 5-part Warner documentary.

Did anyone buy the single-disc version and can you confirm content?

Also is it a flipper disc?
Old 03-27-12, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Casablanca single disc Blu-ray at Target

The single disc at Target is missing everything from disc 2. It is a single disc release that is disc 1 from the set.
Old 03-27-12, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the response.

I just rechecked the back of the single disc and it is only referencing the Disc 1 bonus features so Target packaging is correct.
Old 03-27-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... I think I'll still pick this up. My major problem with the set isn't the price but the huge effing box.
Old 03-27-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

I went ahead and picked up the single disc. Decided it wasn't worth the extra $20 for the second disc of documentaries I might watch once a bunch of stuff (along with the big box) that I don't need.
Old 03-28-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Since the $19.99 seems to be the list price for this item, I think I will wait until it is cheaper. I am guessing it will be available everywhere eventually. I am actually hoping Warner Bros will do what they did with Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind where they released 3 disc sets with all the video content of the box set without the junk. Let's see what Amazon UK sells.
Old 03-29-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gather this isn't available at target.com? If it is, could someone provide a link? Also, the regular 3-disc set comes up at $55 there, not $40 for me. EDIT: the weekly ad on target.com shows the in-store pricing mentioned. I guess the online store isn't matching the BM in this case...

Last edited by drh4; 03-29-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 03:38 PM

Casablanca single-disc (new version) is now $14.99 at Target in-store.
Old 04-03-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lance_G
Yup, saw it there at that price this morning, along with four copies of the boxed set in those lovely spider-wrap things that ruin the boxes.
Old 04-05-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

HUGE WARNING: If like me you have an old 4:3 CRT, for unknown reason the movie on the BR only fills up about 80% of the screen. The aspect ratio is correct; it's shrunk on all 4 sides.

The extras do NOT have this issue.

I am NOT pleased.
Old 04-05-12, 02:45 AM

Will any Blu-ray player "fill" a 4:3 screen? It sounds as if your player is letterboxing Blu-rays generally, and windowboxing those programs in the old Academy ratio (1:1.33). Is your CRT SD, or one of the short-lived 4:3 HD CRTs? If SD, the "Casablanca" DVD would, of course, fill your screen.
Old 04-05-12, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's SD (480 I) Sony WEGA 36".

Why would the movie be "Window boxed", but NOT the extras?

It will likely go back & exchange for the dvd; my thought had been since i now have a BR player to buy the BR for the future when i get an hd set.

It appears you're saying I should expect this behavior from most FS BR discs?

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 04-05-12 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-05-12, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I appear to have found a solution. My Oppo has a number of different Zoom options. Selecting 1.2x fills the screen, with no apparent picture degradation, & i am not aware of any aspect ratio degradation either in that setting. All other options looked pretty awful, though (including forcing it go go "full screen")!
Old 04-05-12, 01:47 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
HUGE WARNING: If like me you have an old 4:3 CRT, for unknown reason the movie on the BR only fills up about 80% of the screen. The aspect ratio is correct; it's shrunk on all 4 sides.

The extras do NOT have this issue.

I am NOT pleased.
It's because blu-ray is a widescreen format, and made to be presented on 16:9 televisions. I noticed that when I first got my blu-ray player but still needed to upgrade my tv. Some players will zoom, but the image might be distorted.
Old 04-05-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same thing happens on my brother's old Mitsubishi 4x3 rear projection set since he has the model that came out right before the ones with the 16x9 feature. Windowboxing isn't too bad though and it's amazing for an old TV how great Blu Ray looks on it. Those who say that they won't get into Blu because their sets are too old don't know what they're missing.
Old 04-05-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

With prices of high-def TVs so low, why would anyone continue to use a 4:3 CRT TV?
Old 04-05-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance_G
The DVD, also a Target exclusive is only $4.99 till 4/7.
Old 04-05-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night, they were out of the dvd & the sign said $9.99. If they had had it at $4.99, I would have gone that way!
Old 04-05-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Robert
With prices of high-def TVs so low, why would anyone continue to use a 4:3 CRT TV?
Thing is, my Sony 36" has a better picture than entry level HD. It may have a lower resolution, but the TV's picture is more enjoyable than inexpensive HD sets.

Until i have a lot of $'s to play with, I'm very happy with the Sony; & 3/4 of my movie watching is classics shot in full screen.
Old 04-06-12, 02:22 AM

That's fine that you still enjoy your CRT, but it does make a comment like "HUGE WARNING" and "I am NOT pleased" seem very silly in a BR forum. Your "unique" set-up likely represents less than 1% of this audience, so I don't know who you're warning or why you think you have a reason to complain.
Old 04-06-12, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because there is NO legitimate reason to mess up a full screen film on a full screen set. i discussed this with a friend who has a wide tv & she has told me that the "window box" full screen br's look just as screwed up on a 16 X 9 set as they do on a 4:3.

Additionally there are legitimate reasons for choosing BR on an older tv (And this is a BR forum, NOT a 16X9 TV forum): even down sampled it still has a much higher bit rate than dvd, & br will likely outlast dvd; although it some ways (mostly DRM overkill) it's a flawed format.

If this was a wide screen film I wouldn't have said a word. BUT IT WAS FILMED IN FULL SCREEN.
Old 04-06-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Actually, there's a very legitimate reason. There is no such thing as a 4x3 Blu Ray. Since the native format is 16x9, the sidebars are encoded as part of the picture to fill the wider frame. Unlike if I watch a full screen DVD and they are added by the TV, or not added at all if watching on an old SD set.

This makes it much more difficult to fill the screen on a 4x3 set since most of those TV's don't have any zoom functions. And it's treating the picture the same way it would a widescreen film since you're still trying to fit a 16x9 image onto a 4x3 set.

If most of your viewing a 4x3 material on a 4x3 set, Blu ray is not the best format. It just wasn't set up for this type of display.

And with all due respect to your female friend, she's probably got her zoom settings whacked out or something. I have a number of 4x3 films, and they all display correctly & look awesome.

Last edited by Eddie W; 04-06-12 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone know if this is still available? I missed this thread, and was uninterested in the big box. Is it still $15, or has it shot back up to $20? Thanks.
Old 04-19-12, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Does anyone know if this is still available? I missed this thread, and was uninterested in the big box. Is it still $15, or has it shot back up to $20? Thanks.
Back to $20.

TLK