DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DVD Polizei
Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Old 02-16-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

When I saw Cold Mountain BD for $5.99 at BB, I debated buying it for a while, but I decided (as someone else said) that it didn't have enough rewatch value for $5.99. Then I was at Target getting The Office BDs for $9.99 each and noticed a new Cold Mountain BD on the clearance shelf for $2.56, so I decided that's about what it's worth. I almost never see BDs in Target's clearance, so it must've been a fluke.
Old 02-16-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
When I saw Cold Mountain BD for $5.99 at BB, I debated buying it for a while, but I decided (as someone else said) that it didn't have enough rewatch value for $5.99. Then I was at Target getting The Office BDs for $9.99 each and noticed a new Cold Mountain BD on the clearance shelf for $2.56, so I decided that's about what it's worth. I almost never see BDs in Target's clearance, so it must've been a fluke.
Did it say "Online Item" or "AS IS" on the clearance tag? Those are the only kind of BD's I've seen on clearance endcaps at Target.
Old 02-16-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon

And you do realize that Kevin smith did not write cop out right? He just directed it, so he had no real control over the story and where it went.
You're kidding, right? You don't think a director has any control over the story?
Old 02-16-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW... I'm a big KS fan and I think Red State is the best thing he's done since Chasing Amy. Loved it.
Old 02-16-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
You're kidding, right? You don't think a director has any control over the story?
Depends on the producer as well. If I see like 4 producers on a movie, I know it's gonna be one silly ride, most of the time.
Old 02-16-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Did it say "Online Item" or "AS IS" on the clearance tag? Those are the only kind of BD's I've seen on clearance endcaps at Target.
I recently saw a Jeff Dunham DVD on clearance at a Target for $2.56, and also assumed it was an online item returned. But then I went to another Target the same day, and saw the exact same title on clearance for $2.56. So I no longer believe they must be web returns, since the odds of 2 different stores having the same unpopular DVD title on clearance the exact same day from 2 different web returns, is next to impossible...
Old 02-16-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The director has control of how the material comes together, but if he didn't write the material, I wouldn't say he has complete control over the final product. There's only so much a director can do with the material provided. So no, it isn't fair to compare Cop Out to a film which he both wrote AND directed. It isn't a fair comparison. But yes, he is definitely partly to blame for the failure of Cop Out...
Old 02-16-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I couldn't disagree more. I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was a good look at religious fanatic groups.
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'll bet you're christian
Not particularly - I'm a twice-a-year Catholic - but it's illustrative that a viewer's enjoyment of Red State may track with their hatred for Christians. That you automatically assumed that my problems were because I may be Christian bespeaks your bigotry against people of faith. Got it.
Originally Posted by FranklinShepard
I'm Christian, and I liked a lot of Red State. Although, admittedly, the (excellent) actors had to make it work, since the writing was a confused jumble of interested, half-baked ideas. In addition to Parks, I thought that John Goodman and the lead girl (Parks' daughter) were very good.

ETA: I just read your review, Dirk - you get the name of the lead actor wrong (Michael Parks, not Michael Banks).
Thanks for the correction. I hated the movie and tossed up the review in a rush and didn't notice the error. Not sure where I got Banks from; Elizabeth, perhaps?

You're much to charitable to the writing for it's sloppy, dated, lazy, and reliant on an audience predisposed to hating the subjects based on the cartoons Smith made them be. It's shooting fish in a barrel, using every hackish stereotypical trope - Jeebus freaks? Check. Southern rednecks? Check. A secretly gay guy? Yep. (Is there something Kevin would like to share with the class?) Genocidal Federal agents slaughtering everyone because that's what they do, right? 10-4! - to tell a story that begins with no credibility and sails into psychotic territory. The premise of a pair of angels trying to end the world and a Golgothan Sh*t Demon are more believable than anything in Red State.

What purpose did Stephen Root's gay sheriff serve? He's a cheap joke about hypocrisy and then *SPOILER* gets killed. If he wasn't in the movie at all, would anything be different? If the crazed Jeebus freaks were kidnapping and killing "sinners", you'd think someone back in town would've noticed people missing. What if it had been a cautionary tale about the dangers of cheap promiscuity where the kids learn a valuable lesson about staying off the Internet AND they get to call out the evil preacher on his tactics by screaming, "What ever happened to thou shalt not kill? Who do you think you are in passing God's judgement in his stead?!?" Not a great plot, but hella better than what Smith pinched off and filmed.
Old 02-16-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
The premise of a pair of angels trying to end the world and a Golgothan Sh*t Demon are more believable than anything in Red State.

What purpose did Stephen Root's gay sheriff serve? He's a cheap joke about hypocrisy and then
Spoiler:
gets killed
. If he wasn't in the movie at all, would anything be different? If the crazed Jeebus freaks were kidnapping and killing "sinners", you'd think someone back in town would've noticed people missing. What if it had been a cautionary tale about the dangers of cheap promiscuity where the kids learn a valuable lesson about staying off the Internet AND they get to call out the evil preacher on his tactics by screaming, "What ever happened to thou shalt not kill? Who do you think you are in passing God's judgement in his stead?!?" Not a great plot, but hella better than what Smith pinched off and filmed.
Dude, seriously, if you're gonna post a spoiler, then use an actual spoiler tag!!! I liked your Dogma reference though. Strangely enough, that's the only Kevin Smith movie I hated! I just thought it was stupid... Except for the opening part supposedly in Milwaukee, which sooooooooo didn't look like Milwaukee. But nobody would know, except those who have been there...
Old 02-16-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Dude, seriously, if you're gonna post a spoiler, then use an actual spoiler tag!!!
Agreed.
Old 02-16-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
If he wasn't in the movie at all, would anything be different? If the crazed Jeebus freaks were kidnapping and killing "sinners", you'd think someone back in town would've noticed people missing. What if it had been a cautionary tale about the dangers of cheap promiscuity where the kids learn a valuable lesson about staying off the Internet AND they get to call out the evil preacher on his tactics by screaming, "What ever happened to thou shalt not kill? Who do you think you are in passing God's judgement in his stead?!?" Not a great plot, but hella better than what Smith pinched off and filmed.
It's kind of hard to notice people missing when the people they are taking aren't even from that town, they are lured in with ads like the kids were. That point is pretty, well, pointless.
Old 02-16-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
The director has control of how the material comes together, but if he didn't write the material, I wouldn't say he has complete control over the final product.
He absolutely does. Most screenwriters aren't even allowed on movie sets.
Old 02-16-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It does say "Online Item". I didn't notice that before. What does it mean? Someone returned an online purchased item to the store and they stuck it on the clearance shelf instead of sending it back as I thought they would?
Old 02-16-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Any issue using manufacturer's coupons and RZ cert at the same time? Do you know if it matters what order they scan them in?
There should be no problem, as RZ certs are considered cash. However, order does matter. For Best Buy's POS system, they need to be entered in the following order:

Best Buy coupons
Best Buy RZ Certs
Manufacturer's coupons
Old 02-16-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
It does say "Online Item". I didn't notice that before. What does it mean? Someone returned an online purchased item to the store and they stuck it on the clearance shelf instead of sending it back as I thought they would?
Yes, it means it was a Target.com purchase that was returned to the store, and it's probably not something that they keep in stock in the store regularly. When that happens, they stick it on the clearance endcap at a greatly reduced rate.
Old 02-17-12, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Close Encounters (30th Anniversary)... $11.99
Now down to $9.99
Old 02-17-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Now down to $9.99
Anyone who doesn't buy CE3K at that price is a jabroney. Completely awesome solid boxset.
Old 02-17-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there a coupon for Puss In Boots?
Old 02-18-12, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He absolutely does. Most screenwriters aren't even allowed on movie sets.
I worked more in television than film. In TV, unless given permission to take some liberties or allow adlibbing, the director typically is not allowed to change the script. The script supervisor makes sure every line of dialogue is said correctly. I assume comedies may have more liberties with dialogue than dramas. Regardless, the director does not have "complete control" if they are forced to follow a script that they did not write. They can try to make things work with creative editing, but they're still working with someone else's story. There is no way that can be considered "complete control." If the script says "the butler did it", the director cannot say "hmmm, I think I'd rather have the maid be the killer" unless he ran that by the producers, who would then likely run it by the screenwriter. And he could be told NO, the butler definitely did it. That isn't complete control.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 02-18-12 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-19-12, 08:09 PM
Cool New Member

$15 Triple Features

Not sure how much of a deal this is or isn't, but I figured I would post it. Anyone have any experience with these multi-title sets?
Old 02-19-12, 08:28 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Did anyone ever get a shipping notice for Severin's Inglorious Bastards? Ordered mine three weeks ago and still haven't heard anything -- not even a backorder notice.
Old 02-20-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pdhahn
$15 Triple Features

Not sure how much of a deal this is or isn't, but I figured I would post it. Anyone have any experience with these multi-title sets?
These are the same ones that have been at Target, and Wal-mart for about a month. Best Buy has had them "on sale" for $14.99 (Target & Wal-mart's regular price) since the first of February.
Old 02-25-12, 06:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Stake Land is $9.99.

Picked up a copy with my $5 RZ coupon (4.99).
Old 02-25-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Edison
These are the same ones that have been at Target, and Wal-mart for about a month. Best Buy has had them "on sale" for $14.99 (Target & Wal-mart's regular price) since the first of February.
Since the new Twilight was released, I have not seen these in any Target. The display that had the $8 movies and the $15 triple packs has been gone at the 3 stores I regularly visit.

Today is the last day of the $15 triple feature sale ... I picked up 3 in-store today.
Old 02-25-12, 09:03 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Did anyone ever get a shipping notice for Severin's Inglorious Bastards? Ordered mine three weeks ago and still haven't heard anything -- not even a backorder notice.
Finally got a notice asking for backorder extension approval. I have a feeling this one will end up being canceled.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.