Reload this Page >

International Blu-ray deals

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

International Blu-ray deals

Old 01-05-12, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: International Blu-ray deals

Originally Posted by larrythefatcat
Considering the quality of Miracle Day I'd rather pay 2 extra bucks to not have it... sure, I'll probably add it to my collection in the future, but it was just not good ol' BBC Torchwood.

It should be completely compatible with all Blu-ray players, too, since it was shot primarily in North America... in 24p (and none of that 1080i/50 crap), AFAIK.
Although it was shot in America, I haven't seen any reports on what cameras (and what settings) were used. If it were the same cameras/settings that were used for the UK-based episodes, then 1080i/50 would be the 'native' format. Just because most of it was set in the US (with UK location work, too) and was a Starz co-production is no guarantee--or reason to assume--it was shot to US standards. I think the BBC actually handled the production-side of things (and Starz just provided money), so odds are they'd have given preference to their own needs.

About the only way anyone can know (without being given information from the BBC) would be to take a Region B set (which is 50hz) and a Region A set (which is 60hz) and watch them side-by-side using equipment that is fully compatible with the signal they're being fed (i.e. no conversion) and see if one can notice which one is superior.

I think it's more likely that 1080i/50 is the native format and the Region A set is the one that's been converted, not the other way around. I would like to know a definitive answer, though.
Old 01-05-12, 03:10 PM

DUPLICATE POST (mods, please delete!)

Last edited by mythmaker18; 01-05-12 at 03:11 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 01-05-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by peep
i thought that somebody had said that this release was region b locked.
it is Region B.

I have the set.
Old 01-06-12, 12:10 AM

How. Much shipped star wars ?
Old 01-07-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
I ordered the Superman Anthology which shipped on 12/20 and I still haven't received it. I'm starting to get worried...
It takes a little while...probably longer over Christmas.

Bet you have it by now.
Old 01-07-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
It takes a little while...probably longer over Christmas.

Bet you have it by now.
Nope, still don't (and mail already came today)
I've ordered from them a few times and don't recall it taking more than about a week before. And the fact that someone else in this thread had something shipped a day later and received it earlier this week doesn't make me feel any better.
Old 01-07-12, 05:32 PM

Joltman,
You are not alone. I placed my original order for the Superman Anthology on December 11th. I hadn't received it by the 24th, so I contacted them. They told me to follow up on the 27th. I still hadn't received it, so they told me they would send me a replacement.

This past Tuesday I received one of the copies. Yesterday, I received a second copy. I don't know which was the original or replacement, but this is the second time I have had this experience with Amazon.co.uk (also with Alien). In each case, I received two copies of what I ordered, but there was a huge delay in their arrival. To their credit, they did not charge me for the extra set either time.

Coop
Old 01-08-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Last night I bit the bullet and ordered Alien Anthology. I'm not wild about ordering from a foreign site and have seen this set for ages without pulling the trigger, but yesterday noticed that there's a new slightly cheaper, stripped-down, Region 2-locked, 4-disc edition coming out and I was concerned that this better version might be no longer available soon. According to Amazon.uk converter, it came to $24.95 shipped
Old 01-08-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Last night I bit the bullet and ordered Alien Anthology. I'm not wild about ordering from a foreign site and have seen this set for ages without pulling the trigger, but yesterday noticed that there's a new slightly cheaper, stripped-down, Region 2-locked, 4-disc edition coming out and I was concerned that this better version might be no longer available soon. According to Amazon.uk converter, it came to $24.95 shipped
Cool, I've been ready to buy and this finally pushed me over the edge. Thx
Old 01-08-12, 05:15 PM

coop if your not returning the second copy wanna trade it?
Old 01-09-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's always been slow for me...at least 2-3 weeks to Texas.
Old 01-10-12, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those that haven't ordered from amazon uk before: the prices are great, but do note that some of the BD sets are quite a bit bigger/thicker than the US equivalent. I got the Harry Potter set and the Batman anthology set (was on sale for £9.99 for one day only) and they are both thicker than the DVD set of One Foot In The Grave complete series and Xmas specials set I also ordered.
Old 01-10-12, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by coop22
To their credit, they did not charge me for the extra set either time.
Before you do anything with that spare set, though, don't be surprised if you get an email from them asking for you to send back the second set or be charged for it. Last year in Dec, a similar thing happened to me (though it was with a LARGE multi-item order, so that might explain why they didn't just let it go), I had a shipment that was about a month late. They agreed to send a replacement. Naturally, by the time the original finally turned up, they'd already sent out the second.

I kept the duplicate items shrink-wrapped and sitting in the closet, just in case they wanted it returned and sure enough, a couple months later, they sent an email stating something to the effect of "apparently, both your original order and the replacement have arrived. If you do not wish to be charged for the replacement shipment...."

I'm not sure how they were able to figure out the original shipment finally arrived unless they just tracked it up to the time it left the UK, but just be prepared and don't do anything with the extra one if you're not prepared to have to pay for it.
Old 01-10-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
it is Region B.

I have the set.
Too bad. That is a nice price for the Millennium Trilogy.
Old 01-10-12, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by coop22
Joltman,
You are not alone. I placed my original order for the Superman Anthology on December 11th. I hadn't received it by the 24th, so I contacted them. They told me to follow up on the 27th. I still hadn't received it, so they told me they would send me a replacement.

This past Tuesday I received one of the copies. Yesterday, I received a second copy. I don't know which was the original or replacement, but this is the second time I have had this experience with Amazon.co.uk (also with Alien). In each case, I received two copies of what I ordered, but there was a huge delay in their arrival. To their credit, they did not charge me for the extra set either time.

Coop
Good to hear it's not just me. I just contacted Amazon UK as today it's been three weeks since it shipped.
Old 01-11-12, 01:33 AM

Mythmaker,
I appreciate you sharing your experience, however I think I am in good shape. This was their exact statement in the email I received:

"If the original parcel arrives afterward, please keep it with our compliments, as the cost of returning of this parcel would be prohibitively expensive. Perhaps you’d like to donate it to a charity in your area if you feel it would be appropriate to do so."

I am pretty sure the Alien Anthology delay/duplicate problem included the same exact statement. I have only had one charge placed on my credit card, but will of course keep an eye out for the second one.

By the way, I still have the second Alien Anthology set in it's shrink wrap (as is the Superman box set). Brewc, I sent you an email.

Coop
Old 01-14-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a great bargain but worth noting, the Nightmare on Elm Street BD box set dropped to 29.99GBP which comes in under $50. The films are supposed to be region A compatible but I believe the bonus disc is a DVD and is region 2.
Old 01-14-12, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
[...]I believe the bonus disc is a DVD and is region 2.
And PAL as well
Old 01-14-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Not a great bargain but worth noting, the Nightmare on Elm Street BD box set dropped to 29.99GBP which comes in under $50. The films are supposed to be region A compatible but I believe the bonus disc is a DVD and is region 2.
It's been as low as £24.99 for a short time in December (see the Camel Camel Camel Firefox add-on) which was when I got it.

Also, I and many others have region free DVD players which solves that problem.

Last edited by movielib; 01-14-12 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a problem for me either. Just mentioned the region locked disc in the interest of full disclosure. I could definintely see the price on this box set dropping further again. It had been 34.99 over the past few weeks though.
Old 01-17-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

My Alien Anthology set arrived today, 9 days after ordering it. It's got nice packaging -- I had expected just an Amray case, but it comes in a nice shiny slipcover with the following warning on the back :

These discs contain a sequence involving strobe lighting effects and could trigger a fit in susceptible viewers.
Can't wait for THAT.
Old 01-18-12, 10:42 AM

For those following my Superman adventure, I contacted Amazon UK on January 10 (three weeks after it shipped) to tell them I didn't get it yet, and they sent me another set. I finally received a set yesterday! Although I think it might actually be from the original order based on the order number (the replacement was sent out under a different order). I guess I'll see what happens.
Old 01-19-12, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
My Alien Anthology set arrived today, 9 days after ordering it. It's got nice packaging -- I had expected just an Amray case, but it comes in a nice shiny slipcover with the following warning on the back :

Can't wait for THAT.
And I got mine today. My bank did add a 46-cent "conversion fee."
Old 01-21-12, 02:59 PM

So guess what I got in the mail today? Yup, a second Superman Anthology. I don't know why the original copy took four weeks and the replacement only took a week and a half.
Old 01-21-12, 04:21 PM

I don't know how US customs works, but I know here in Canada they do "spot checks" and so some things arrive very fast while others take forever.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.