DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 01-19-17, 08:26 PM   #1076

Re: Amazon.co.uk Boxset Deals

I used the 10 off and grabbed Seasons 4 & 5 of The Avengers; worked out to $30 each which I feel is still a little high but if the restoration is as good as The Prisoner, or Lost in Space or Twilight Zone, then I'll be happy. --Peter
Old 01-19-17, 08:29 PM   #1077
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
January 20th Only (which has already started over there) Take 10 Off any Qualifying Order of 50 or more with the code "BIGTHANKS".
Makes TNG about $50 US. I thought I was past the temptations for this year.
Old 01-19-17, 08:56 PM   #1078
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice bonus. Remember the 50 is after VAT removal and preshipping so it will take an initial cart of 60 to qualify for teh code. IF you have a cart that is just slightly short (a 59.99 item example) a chat/call with CSR in the past often got a manual push
Old 01-24-17, 08:05 PM   #1079

Did Amazon just raise their shipping rates for 3rd Party sellers like ZOverstocks? I also troll their listings for used Masters of Cinema blu-rays and looks like shipping to the US is now 6.94 which pretty much annihilates any bargains
Peter
Old 01-24-17, 08:39 PM   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
Did Amazon just raise their shipping rates for 3rd Party sellers like ZOverstocks? I also troll their listings for used Masters of Cinema blu-rays and looks like shipping to the US is now 6.94 which pretty much annihilates any bargains
Peter
I just looked at some MOC through bestmediagroup and DVD Overstocks (items were all Fulfilled by Amazon which might make a difference) and US shipping was still 3.08 for the first item. I've rarely ordered via 3rd party since they never remove the VAT which is worse than paying shipping on may items.

Which item were you checking?
Old 01-24-17, 08:48 PM   #1081
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I used the 10 off and grabbed Seasons 4 & 5 of The Avengers; worked out to $30 each which I feel is still a little high but if the restoration is as good as The Prisoner, or Lost in Space or Twilight Zone, then I'll be happy. --Peter
I didn't even realize that show was on BD in the UK (and one season here, I guess). I think I have every season on DVD plus two versions of the Emma Peel megaset.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-24-17, 09:30 PM   #1082

Pigs and Battleships and Tokyo Sonata were both in the 6 range which generally translated to $12 with shipping. Not great bargains, but close enough for me to take a chance on. I've nabbed some great ones over the years from ZOverstocks - steelbook for Metropolis and the 2-disc version of Shane (both were about $20 with shipping). A lot of Arrow blu-rays are being re-pressed without the booklets/liner notes (Theater of Blood, Night of the Hunter, etc), so I was counting on used copies from ZOverstocks (aka MusicMagpie) instead of ordering directly from Amazon UK. --Peter
Old 01-24-17, 09:57 PM   #1083

Quote:
Pigs and Battleships and Tokyo Sonata were both in the 6 range which generally translated to $12 with shipping. Not great bargains, but close enough for me to take a chance on. I've nabbed some great ones over the years from ZOverstocks - steelbook for Metropolis and the 2-disc version of Shane (both were about $20 with shipping). A lot of Arrow blu-rays are being re-pressed without the booklets/liner notes (Theater of Blood, Night of the Hunter, etc), so I was counting on used copies from ZOverstocks (aka MusicMagpie) instead of ordering directly from Amazon UK. --Peter
I tried Pigs and Battleships used and New from Music Magpie and got 6.94 shipping and only one shipping option -- can you order directly from them or are their Amazon prices/shipping cheaper?

New from bestmediagroups (Ful by Amazon) was 8.60 + 3.08 shipping.

I'll assume it's not as simple as MusicMagpie being Fulfilled by Amazon in the past and you're correct that shipping is now higher though I guess it could be a temporary thing that reboots in a few days
Old 01-25-17, 12:55 PM   #1084
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Interested in reading what you have to say on the restoration. Been looking at these but haven't bought any just yet.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 01-28-17, 07:55 PM   #1085

Sorry, not a new bargain, but there was a conversation here before the holidays about exchange rates and fees...

I just got a packet in the mail today from Chase/Amazon about Amazon credit cards no longer incurring a foreign transaction fee as of, err, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, 1/10/17. There are some other minor changes, too. I assume Amazon offers just two cards, the Prime card and the non-Prime card. The change affects both with zero owner interaction, although the note says to expect a new card later this year. Pretty cool.
Old 01-28-17, 08:50 PM   #1086
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetao View Post
Sorry, not a new bargain, but there was a conversation here before the holidays about exchange rates and fees...

I just got a packet in the mail today from Chase/Amazon about Amazon credit cards no longer incurring a foreign transaction fee as of, err, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, 1/10/17. There are some other minor changes, too. I assume Amazon offers just two cards, the Prime card and the non-Prime card. The change affects both with zero owner interaction, although the note says to expect a new card later this year. Pretty cool.

Correct. We talked about the briefly in the regular Amazon Blu-ray Bargains thread.
Old 02-02-17, 09:24 PM   #1087

I received The Avengers today; I've only test-driven the first Emma Peel episode, but the quality seems quite nice; I'm not sure how much it can be improved upon. The first disc had quite a number of extras (commentaries, bonus programs, alternate US opening credits, etc). The only thing I don't like is the Studio Canal authoring of the discs - you can only switch audio tracks or turn subtitles on/off from their menus (and had to go to the German menus to verify the second audio track was indeed a German dub and not some hidden 5.1 mix). It does support the resume feature on my player which is nice, because, again, Studio Canal loves to front-end their discs with non-skippable stuff. There are no printed liner notes/booklet - sort of disappointed after the literal book that comes with each season of The Professionals (from the same creative team, but put out by Network). Solid release - I suspect the price will likely go down at some point in the future...but then, the exchange rate then may not be as favorable. --Peter
Old 02-06-17, 09:41 PM   #1088
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Twin Peaks set can be ordered as of this writing. Listed as being available 2/14/17. Price: 21.99 Hold"Ctrl" key when using link.
Region Free
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Last edited by Classic Films; 02-07-17 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 04:15 PM   #1089

Looks like Twin Peaks is back in stock to order again (21.40 shipped) -- backorder 2/18
Old 02-10-17, 05:55 AM   #1090
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Looks like Twin Peaks is back in stock to order again (21.40 shipped) -- backorder 2/18
Now only available from 3rd parties. 32.99 plus shipping is cheapest. Seems to change daily so keep checking if you are interested.
Old 02-10-17, 11:04 AM   #1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Films View Post
Now only available from 3rd parties. 32.99 plus shipping is cheapest. Seems to change daily so keep checking if you are interested.
It actually stayed live for several hours yesterday, but when I checked last night it was back to 3rd Party only again.
Old 03-12-17, 08:25 PM   #1092
DVD Talk Special Edition

Masters of Sex Season 3, unreleased in North America, is down to €9.99 on Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/Masters-of-Sex.../dp/B01BE28M7A

Includes UV Code and an Amazon reviewer says it's All Region (I've no idea if they're correct). I've heard the German version is definitely locked to B. I'm uncertain on Denmark, Finland, Norway or Sweden.