Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
re: International Blu-ray deals

Originally Posted by soundman2
Steven Spielberg Directors Collection Blu-ray - 8 movies . £15.99

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/steven-...n=AffiliateWin
and is Region Free too (confirming as i have this set)
Old 01-05-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a Region A or Open version of Red Sun?
Old 01-05-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Yes there is..as long as you are willing to get it from Amazon Spain (or equivalent store front). But the upside is that it does have English and Spanish language/subtitle options (and it's not too awful priced).

https://www.amazon.es/Red-Sun-Blu-ra...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL

There is also a Japanese region free Blu-ray but it has Japanese subtitles only, which might or might not be forced. So, my opinion would be to go with the Spanish one.
Old 01-05-17, 03:53 PM

a word of warning about purchasing from Amazon Spain - plenty of spurious, counterfeit and low quality media items. If anyone is considering purchasing 'Nuremberg' (*ing Alec Baldwin and Jill Hennessey), do NOT. Please review the item well before purchase.
Old 01-05-17, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I was wondering the same thing. Anytime a EU B locked disc shows up mysteriously out of Spain it raises red flags. I know Resen is almost entirely pirates -- some pressed and many BDR. I;m not sure about "Producciones JRB" but I must say I'm a bit suspicious

I can find one website/blog that lists a lot of different companies and both JRB and apparently it's affiliated Layons Multimedia are listed on it. I do not know of teh validity of either company or blog though I lean toward it not being strictly legal
Many of the vendors out there on Amazon.es are illegal and bootleggers. Amazon themselves had admitted that it was terribly hard to contain or identify them - if legally pursued, they'd shut shop and voila, a new one would arise. 'Llamentol, S.L' company is definitely a confirmed bootlegger. The Nuremberg BD is not anamorphic, its a full frame AR that's stretched to fill a 16:9 AR screen while the quality is pure DVD. Its an insult to the format and I regret every penny I spent as it was not available elsewhere. Please proceed with caution on media products on Amazon.es
Old 01-06-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
There is a region free version from Japan. English audio track but no english subs

can be bought from amazon.jp or amazon.com but it's expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006YKTHT0/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-li...&condition=new

oops, i see kedrix already addressed this
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
the German Studio Canal Region B release of 'Red Sun' is now only $7 shipped to the USA (€3.97)

EDIT: An even better deal is this Region B three BD set of 'Red Sun', 'Soldier Blue' and 'Django' for $10 shipped to the USA:
https://www.amazon.de/Die-hartesten-.../dp/B00VN7KXQA
DJANGO isn't English friendly. No english subs or english audio track. Soldier blue at least has an english audio track

For $7, I'd be willing to chance whether or not this works with my Panasonic Bluray player and it's hack.

Last edited by sleepyhead55; 01-06-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-07-17, 01:13 AM

I got a question - is this German 115m version the complete uncut theatrical version of this film that was butchered for the US home video release ? Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00XHVXF3S/
Old 01-07-17, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I got a question - is this German 115m version the complete uncut theatrical version of this film that was butchered for the US home video release ? Thanks in advance

I always prefer it when these kinds of questions include the name of the movie so I don't have to click through just to see if I have any chance of answering it.
Old 01-07-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I always prefer it when these kinds of questions include the name of the movie so I don't have to click through just to see if I have any chance of answering it.
Me too.

That said, Wikipedia lists the length of the movie Revenge, staring Keven Costner, as 124 minutes. IMDB lists 124 minutes being the uncut version. 115 minutes is the cut theatrical:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge_(1990_film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100485/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

Oddly, the Directors Cut is even shorter, at 100 minutes. Here's a comparison between the Driectors Cut and uncut theatrical:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2260915

Also, the Amazon.de link says that the German edition is 124 minutes. Where did you see 115 minutes?

Edit: One of the reviews mentions a 119m runtime, which with PAL speedup would be the 124m cut.

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-07-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 12:05 PM

Sorry, Gentlemen for making you click thru to assist me with information I sought but thank you for the response. The Amazon.de product page shows a 124m run time. The bluray.com listing for the same shows a run time of 115m. And readers' reviews are all over the place regarding run times. Hence my query. Going to chance it and order this one. Thank you again.
Old 01-08-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

This is one of those "authentic DCs" where the director actually "cut" more from the movie than added--generally we view director's cuts as adding footage, which is weird, because of the given name. From what I've read, Scott looked back at the film and wanted several scenes cut. Really odd, as I liked the theatrical. Although the unrated cut version has much more of Stowe.
Old 01-12-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

They will cover it - just write to them. The way it works is they will ask you to ship it back on your dime with the RMA number they issue. And then you are asked to provide a copy of your shipping receipt (which you can scan and send) and they will apply the shipping credit to your payment method. No headaches, its easy
So just got another shipment from Amazon UK and one of the boxed sets is all smashed up on the corner because the outer box was smashed up in the same spot. I tried to go through the option to return and to replace and each requires you to send the set back and they will reimburse you 8 BPS or about $10.

This is a heavy boxed set weighing about 3+ lbs. When I checked with USPS, shipping it back would cost $32.95. Being that the set was only $30 this is hardly worth it. Are you guys able to get Amazon to go over that amount in reimbursement for shipping for a return? It seems that even the smallest single disc dvd would cost more than $10 to ship back to them.
Old 01-12-17, 11:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..you should just send it back in the box it came in and write "refused".."return to sender"...and it won't cost you anything...
Old 01-15-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

WOW! I have a suspicion it will start going back up as of next Saturday..........
Old 01-19-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

January 20th Only (which has already started over there) Take £10 Off any Qualifying Order of £50 or more with the code "BIGTHANKS".
Old 01-19-17, 08:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the £10 off and grabbed Seasons 4 & 5 of The Avengers; worked out to $30 each which I feel is still a little high but if the restoration is as good as The Prisoner, or Lost in Space or Twilight Zone, then I'll be happy. --Peter
Old 01-19-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
January 20th Only (which has already started over there) Take £10 Off any Qualifying Order of £50 or more with the code "BIGTHANKS".
Makes TNG about $50 US. I thought I was past the temptations for this year.
Old 01-24-17, 08:05 PM

Did Amazon just raise their shipping rates for 3rd Party sellers like ZOverstocks? I also troll their listings for used Masters of Cinema blu-rays and looks like shipping to the US is now £6.94 which pretty much annihilates any bargains
Peter
Old 01-24-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
I used the £10 off and grabbed Seasons 4 & 5 of The Avengers; worked out to $30 each which I feel is still a little high but if the restoration is as good as The Prisoner, or Lost in Space or Twilight Zone, then I'll be happy. --Peter
I didn't even realize that show was on BD in the UK (and one season here, I guess). I think I have every season on DVD plus two versions of the Emma Peel megaset.
Old 01-24-17, 09:30 PM

Pigs and Battleships and Tokyo Sonata were both in the £6 range which generally translated to $12 with shipping. Not great bargains, but close enough for me to take a chance on. I've nabbed some great ones over the years from ZOverstocks - steelbook for Metropolis and the 2-disc version of Shane (both were about $20 with shipping). A lot of Arrow blu-rays are being re-pressed without the booklets/liner notes (Theater of Blood, Night of the Hunter, etc), so I was counting on used copies from ZOverstocks (aka MusicMagpie) instead of ordering directly from Amazon UK. --Peter
Old 01-25-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Interested in reading what you have to say on the restoration. Been looking at these but haven't bought any just yet.
Old 01-28-17, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, not a new bargain, but there was a conversation here before the holidays about exchange rates and fees...

I just got a packet in the mail today from Chase/Amazon about Amazon credit cards no longer incurring a foreign transaction fee as of, err, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, 1/10/17. There are some other minor changes, too. I assume Amazon offers just two cards, the Prime card and the non-Prime card. The change affects both with zero owner interaction, although the note says to expect a new card later this year. Pretty cool.
Old 01-28-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
Sorry, not a new bargain, but there was a conversation here before the holidays about exchange rates and fees...

I just got a packet in the mail today from Chase/Amazon about Amazon credit cards no longer incurring a foreign transaction fee as of, err, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, 1/10/17. There are some other minor changes, too. I assume Amazon offers just two cards, the Prime card and the non-Prime card. The change affects both with zero owner interaction, although the note says to expect a new card later this year. Pretty cool.

Correct. We talked about the briefly in the regular Amazon Blu-ray Bargains thread.
Old 02-02-17, 09:24 PM

I received The Avengers today; I've only test-driven the first Emma Peel episode, but the quality seems quite nice; I'm not sure how much it can be improved upon. The first disc had quite a number of extras (commentaries, bonus programs, alternate US opening credits, etc). The only thing I don't like is the Studio Canal authoring of the discs - you can only switch audio tracks or turn subtitles on/off from their menus (and had to go to the German menus to verify the second audio track was indeed a German dub and not some hidden 5.1 mix). It does support the resume feature on my player which is nice, because, again, Studio Canal loves to front-end their discs with non-skippable stuff. There are no printed liner notes/booklet - sort of disappointed after the literal book that comes with each season of The Professionals (from the same creative team, but put out by Network). Solid release - I suspect the price will likely go down at some point in the future...but then, the exchange rate then may not be as favorable. --Peter
Old 02-06-17, 09:41 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Twin Peaks set can be ordered as of this writing. Listed as being available 2/14/17. Price: £21.99 Hold"Ctrl" key when using link.
Region Free
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Last edited by Classic Films; 02-07-17 at 12:38 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.