Reload this Page >

$5 Rango Coupon-Now Active

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

$5 Rango Coupon-Now Active

Old 07-17-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: $5 Rango Coupon-Now Active

used six $5 coupons and the Rango coupon on one transaction. No problems.

My Best Buy used to be assholes, but in the last few years have become much more customer-friendly. I've spent more there in the last month that the last 3 years combined.
Old 07-18-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't even try to get Rango at BB... too many past negative experiences with using coupons there (let alone 2 on the same item), though I've had no problems with the $5 off $14.99 one. If I were to try 2 coupons in 1 transaction and the cashier let it go through, they'd have to call paramedics to take me away from fainting.

I knew that many people would have success doing both coupons, but when you have enough bad BB experiences as I have had over the years, you reach a point of finding other alternatives (which fortunately there are) that don't involve BB. I'd love for the stores in my area to change and become like most other stores in the country (as apparently That'sAllFolks' stores have changed), but I don't expect that in my area. And how would I know unless I keep trying periodically and letting them deny me again? I prefer to avoid that aggravation.
Old 07-18-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
I didn't even try to get Rango at BB... too many past negative experiences with using coupons there (let alone 2 on the same item), though I've had no problems with the $5 off $14.99 one. If I were to try 2 coupons in 1 transaction and the cashier let it go through, they'd have to call paramedics to take me away from fainting.

I knew that many people would have success doing both coupons, but when you have enough bad BB experiences as I have had over the years, you reach a point of finding other alternatives (which fortunately there are) that don't involve BB. I'd love for the stores in my area to change and become like most other stores in the country (as apparently That'sAllFolks' stores have changed), but I don't expect that in my area. And how would I know unless I keep trying periodically and letting them deny me again? I prefer to avoid that aggravation.
Please, you've been asked by Mao to take your comments and concerns about BB to the store forum.
Old 07-18-11, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
Please, you've been asked by Mao to take your comments and concerns about BB to the store forum.
Manzana has a fair gripe. Heck, I've been to 3 different BB stores trying to get this coupon to take like other people are getting. I must be a masochist because I'm going to try a fourth store tomorrow since I have something else to get there, but come on, there has to be some consistency in how their stores handle these coupons. Being that the Rango $5 coupon is a manufacturer's coupon, BB loses nothing above and beyond their own $5 coupon that they are allowing on $14.99+up movies anyway. For any store manager like the ones from the 3 stores I've been to say that they can't allow both coupons is just pure baloney.
Old 07-18-11, 08:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by consoleman
Manzana has a fair gripe. Heck, I've been to 3 different BB stores trying to get this coupon to take like other people are getting. I must be a masochist because I'm going to try a fourth store tomorrow since I have something else to get there, but come on, there has to be some consistency in how their stores handle these coupons. Being that the Rango $5 coupon is a manufacturer's coupon, BB loses nothing above and beyond their own $5 coupon that they are allowing on $14.99+up movies anyway. For any store manager like the ones from the 3 stores I've been to say that they can't allow both coupons is just pure baloney.
It's not a fair gripe, and it doesn't belong in this forum.

Sure, some of us have gotten them to use the $5 off $14.99 coupon on sale items, but it very clearly is not supposed to be honored on sale items.

Also, both that coupon and the Rango coupon (I imagine) clearly state that each coupon can not be combined with any other offer, which includes sale prices.

Sure, it works sometimes, but instead of bitching when they follow the clear rules we should be thankful for the times they erroneously give us the discount(s).
Old 07-18-11, 11:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
used six $5 coupons and the Rango coupon on one transaction. No problems.
I used 4 plus the Rango coupon. No problems for me either.
Old 07-19-11, 12:07 AM

My 2 BB's are usually pretty cool, but I denied at both. No biggie.
Old 07-19-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by consoleman
Manzana has a fair gripe.

He's been asked if he has a complaint about a store, he should take that complaint to the store forum.

Originally Posted by Mao
Manzana, clearly your negativity is breeding more negativity here. I'm sure you can see that.

I completely agree with RonBoster. Your critical comments (good or bad) are best reserved for the store forum. As for whether anyone would read them or not...that's where they clearly belong.
Justified or not, Manzana has created a track record of bogging down deals threads with store complaints. After a lengthy debate on the topic, he was finally asked in the future to take those complaints to the store forum.
Old 07-19-11, 11:26 AM

I tried sending a PM to Mao for clarification, but he doesn't allow PMs. Below is what I tried to send (hopefully he'll see it here):

Hi, Mao. I wanted to ask you something in private since it appears others are interpreting your comment made to me some time ago (maybe a month or two) that I'm never allowed to post another negative comment (not even 1 sentence) in any thread other than the Store Forums again. I never interpreted your comment that way. I thought you meant be reasonable about it and if I were going to post a big rant, to take it elsewhere. I assumed that a little negative paragraph here and there in other threads was allowed if I kept it reasonable (which I thought I've been doing).

I didn't post a response in the following thread [link deleted] to avoid turning it into yet another discussion about my posts. Maybe you can look at what I wrote and tell me if I was out of line? [Well, I tried not to post here but had to since I can't PM Mao.]

For instance, if I go to Big Lots and post in the Big Lots thread "I went to Big Lots and didn't find anything new (as usual)" does that qualify as a forbidden negative comment? If some newbie asks a question about combining coupons at BB and I post a small paragraph about my past experience to answer it, is that forbidden?

Please clarify if I can post reasonable (i.e. 1 or 2 small paragraphs like I did above in this thread) negative comments in other deal threads when they are relevant, or if RonBoster is really right that I (alone) am never allowed to utter another negative sentence again except in the Store Forum? If it's the latter, I'll obey and stop posting completely unless I have a question or very brief comment. Thanks.
Old 07-19-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't expect it to work for me at my local BB, but it did. PM'ed to Fry's $17.99, used BB $5 off coupon and then the Manu. $5 coupon - $9.05 out-the-door.

Sweet!
Old 07-19-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried sending a PM to Mao for clarification, but he doesn't allow PMs. Below is what I tried to send (hopefully he'll see it here):.....
Manzana, you take things way too seriously sometimes. Who cares what people on the internet think of you. Sometimes you need to look at the glass as half full instead of always half empty.

BTW, I don't post a lot here anymore but I love your posts, if nothing else they're always entertaining!
Old 07-19-11, 10:29 PM

Not to bog down this blog any further, but it really sure come down to consistency in how coupons are handled for BB nationwide. For example, I can pretty much go into any Target store and know they have a policy of allowing one Target coupon and one manufacturer's coupon when purchasing an item. It's a chain-wide policy for any store across the country. With BB, if I have to go through the hassle of hitting a bunch of stores just to maybe get a coupon to work if you're lucky enough to get a "good" cashier, it shouldn't be that way for any customer. If it works in one store, it should work in any BB store. As for the $5 off $14.99 Blu-ray coupon not being for sale items, they're not exactly enforcing that, are they? So why the heck are they even making an issue out of using the $5 manufacturer's coupon when they're clearly going to get the money back from the manufacturer anyway. That's my gripe and I'm sure I'm not alone in it.

Last edited by consoleman; 07-19-11 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

No problem using both coupons for me tonight.
Old 07-20-11, 10:32 AM

Consoleman, I agree 100% with your post above (didn't quote it to save space).

If every BB treated everyone the same, I'd have no complaints. I'm sure there's some jealousy involved when I see other people getting great BB coupon deals and know that I can't get the same deals because my stores are "different", and a few others (like you) have often posted trouble in their areas as well. I'd much prefer all BB stores either allow or deny all coupons consistently across the country instead of having "good" or "bad" areas where many choose to ignore the wording on coupons while others strictly enforce it. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about BB's inconsistency, but I've probably been the most vocal in the past. I say a lot less now. The difference is when I say anything about this issue, even just a little paragraph or 2, the MAC Club (led by RonBoster) goes into attack mode in hopes of getting me in trouble. My original posts aren't usually what clog up the threads but the subsequent attacks and my long responses. I'm thinking I'll just not respond to the attacks any more.

The fact that neither Mao nor any of the other moderators told me I'm not allowed to post anything negative means I'll stick by my original interpretation which was to take long rants to the stores forum but that a few reasonably sized negative posts here and there like this are OK. I'll stop when the moderators (which do not include Ron or Trevor yet) clarify that I'm not allowed to utter a single negative sentence ever again except in the stores forum. Then I'll shut up completely. I'm not a half-Manzana... it's hard to turn off the negativity completely, but I'm not all negative... more like 50-50 I think.
Old 07-20-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The difference is when I say anything about this issue, even just a little paragraph or 2, the MAC Club (led by RonBoster) goes into attack mode in hopes of getting me in trouble.

I'm not a half-Manzana... it's hard to turn off the negativity completely, but I'm not all negative... more like 50-50 I think.
With the main difference being Manzana has his own official MAC(tm) (Manzana Attackers Club) with a large membership and Trespoochies does not. I get attacked in some threads even if I don't say a word.
I got the impression (and I tried to post it without being too verbose and angering MAC(tm) members) that Amazon's current batch is missing the 4th code needed for the movie ticket by design.
I complain here more than at the stores. The funny part is that I never complained or got into long posts in this thread until John's attack. This has been a good reminder that I need to tone my complaints down... not that some of you deserve it but if I've provoked this much reaction from people I haven't heard from before, then yes I'm obviously overdoing it and people are more sensitive to complaining than I realized. Mea culpa on this one.

At this point though it's not like I have to worry about saving my reputation here. Some of you guys (as gcribbs said above) are clearly vengeful and unforgiving such that if I never complained again, you'd still hold it against me forever. I wouldn't presume to say I'll never complain again because if I post an experience where I wasn't successful (coupon not accepted or they were out of stock) then it's a complaint. Fortunately and hopefully none of us will ever meet. But every time you see an evil customer in a store you can wonder... is it Manzana, the epitomy of pure evil?

All I can say is I'll try to tone the complaining down going forward. I recommend all of you who don't like me, seriously just completely skip anything I post if it's more than a small paragraph.
Perhaps there's a part of me that wants attention when I post complaints, but I'm not making up the stories I post about things that happen at various stores. We all know I tend to be a complainer, and while I don't mind people ribbing me if I can see it's a joke, a lot of time I think people personally attack me as a bad person which I don't think I am just because I complain about bad experiences with coupons or things being out of stock or I made minor snide comments at some stores.

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel duped and pulled into a trap by me, but I assure you I never meant to dupe you nor do I set traps for people. If you mean to say that you've learned not to respond to my complaints because it doesn't do any good, then yes I can understand that. It's probably a waste of time on my part but psychologically it also helps to "let it out". So I think the message to me is (to quote Thumper): "if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all". Other people complain here too, but I'd say a big difference is I'm too wordy... another fault of mine.

I thought I had toned it down a bit until I was attacked in the Blockbuster thread when I hadn't even complained about anything. So I spent some time defending myself. Yes, it's probably all a big waste of time. It depends on my mood. I was saddened to hear that someone nice like you considers himself duped and trapped by me. All I can say is I'm trying to do better and complain less right now. Hopefully it will last. Take care.

So the only problem that exists is the one you chose to create out of nowhere. I can't even discuss things I did or how a manager was nice to me without a member of the MAC (Manzana Attackers Club) hurling the usual insults. My only troubles are with BB, and I avoid them, and you'll be happy to know that even though I'm clearly the worst customer in the world (going in there maybe once a month or two and usually buying nothing) that BB voluntarily give me Silver RZ status (not that I'll ever use it).
Reviewing the quotes above from June and July, IHMO...I think at times you are your own worst enemy. It can't all be the problem of all the other members, who you've dubbed the "Manzana Attackers Club". I think the fact this is only the second thread that I've asked you to take your complaints to the store forum, the fact that you feel I am the ring leader, says something about your perception of others vs reality. I don't think it's out of line or too much to ask (inlight of your own self reflection about your customer service complaints) to take "the majority" of them to the store forum. IMHO, it's a fair compromise. But, as you've stated in another thread, your concern that no one would read them.....

Seriously, is there a thread that anyone actually reads about store issues for each store, i.e. a BB, Fry's, or Walmart thread? If you point me to those, I'll take my longer posts off to other areas, but I don't think anyone would see my responses.

Perhaps there's a part of me that wants attention when I post complaints
Old 07-20-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 07-20-11, 04:16 PM

I didn't even both with the coupon, but instead got it for 14;99 off Amazon. Cause they had a promo code going on and I just used that. I ordered it last Friday I think it was. And I got it today with free shipping.
Old 07-20-11, 08:17 PM

Also bear in mind, in the battle of retailers, online and off, you're trying to get customers to come into your stores and not have them leave in frustration. With the amount of gas or time people devote just to travel to a BB, making them leave empty-handed is one sure-fire way to make them not want to visit as often or even at all. Enough with the clauses and conditions that always seem to be in BB coupons like no other retailers and just get people into your stores. The $5 off $14.99 was a step in the right direction. If they keep deals like this and strip away all the conditions off their coupons that make people uncomfortable in thinking of using them, they can definitely get people to keep coming back.
Old 07-20-11, 08:41 PM

The fact that neither Mao nor any of the other moderators told me I'm not allowed to post anything negative means I'll stick by my original interpretation which was to take long rants to the stores forum but that a few reasonably sized negative posts here and there like this are OK. I'll stop when the moderators (which do not include Ron or Trevor yet) clarify that I'm not allowed to utter a single negative sentence ever again except in the stores forum. Then I'll shut up completely. I'm not a half-Manzana... it's hard to turn off the negativity completely, but I'm not all negative... more like 50-50 I think.
I'm not going to slam you here, but if you think that your posts skew 50-50 positive/negative, you have a very skewed view of your posting habits. I was going to just say that was flat out wrong, but I thought maybe you posted more positive things in other threads, so I just took a peek at your last 75 posts...WOW. Unless you are complaining about not getting the deals that everyone else is getting, or saying that this Blu-ray or that DVD are not good enough for you to purchase at this or that price point, you virtually have nothing positive to offer in your DVD/Blu-ray purchasing experiences, and that is why many get flat out exhausted reading your anti-diatribes, short and long.

I think that most here like getting deals, but for you, if it's not a worldbeater of a price, then it's never good enough. While that is your prerogative, it surely gets exhausting to see you complaining about this or that deal, and why it doesn't appeal to you. For me personally, I LOVE seeing the deals everyone gets, and the ones that interest me, I pursue, the ones that don't, I keep my trap shut.

That's not to say that if you have a "uniquely" bad store experience, not to contribute it, but your agenda about saying that BB is the devil for you, well, we all pretty much know that, and we don't need to hear about it ad nauseum.

Just for the record, I was NOT able to stack both coupons, so I kept it at $14.99 which for a first week combo release of a big studio feature is a GREAT price. I'll try one more time to stack the coupons at one of the other locations, and if it works, great, if not, I'll keep the first purchase GLADLY.
Old 07-21-11, 10:09 AM

IMHO, Ron's post quoting my old posts is far more disruptive to this thread than my original (and subsequent) much shorter and slightly negative posts were. People could just ignore my posts they don't like, especially when the posts are relatively small like these last ones, but people like Ron choose to make a giant issue over it and clutter up the thread with "take your negativity somewhere else" posts. I know why he does it... he's vengeful and wants to disrupt the thread in hopes of pinning the blame on me to get me in trouble when my original post was pretty minor. Before posting it I re-read it and thought it was so minor nobody will have a problem with it. Shows how wrong I am about Ron and the MAC.

I simply responded I didn't know I was totally forbidden from negativity... just from disruptive rants which this has not been. There's no point discussing it further because the same people will continue to attack me and sidetrack any thread I post a comment in if my post has even 1 negative sentence in it (such as "I couldn't get X at store Y because it was out of stock"). As I stated and Mao requested, I am toning it down and try to keep the length of my negative posts much shorter than before. If I post something long, I'll go to the stores forum. By saying I can't say anything negative you are telling me to shut up most of the time. I thought keeping it in moderation would be sufficient, but not for Ron. I'll just say until a moderator tells me I'm never allowed to post another negative sentence or thought that I'll do my best to keep my negativity in moderation and shorter in length, and I'm trying to avoid feeding what Ron wants by long responses. So I'll stop here.
Old 07-21-11, 08:09 PM

The fourth time's the charm. Finally got BB to take both their $5 off $14.99 coupon and the $5 manufacturer's coupon. The cashier wasn't going to let me use the BB coupon at first but I asked her to scan it anyway and it took. When I pulled out the second coupon, she said you can't use two coupons. I just asked her to scan it please which she did. Just glad I got to buy this thing before the coupon expires tomorrow.

Now, was it worth the gray hair trying to get this all week? I guess not but since I had something else to get today, I was hoping once... just once... can it finally go through? Finally it did so at least there's a little bit of satisfaction there.

Last edited by consoleman; 07-22-11 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 12:41 PM

Just stop printing the damn coupon. Tell them you have the SKU for a coupon for them to enter at the register, and then just give them the SKY (2573131) from memory. This has worked for me, and they're often more impressed by my memorization skills than anything. More importantly, it doesn't give them a chance to read and deny, and it also saves paper and ink.
Old 07-22-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kory
Just stop printing the damn coupon. Tell them you have the SKU for a coupon for them to enter at the register, and then just give them the SKY (2573131) from memory. This has worked for me, and they're often more impressed by my memorization skills than anything. More importantly, it doesn't give them a chance to read and deny, and it also saves paper and ink.
definitely YMMV on this one
Old 07-23-11, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally got around to picking this up yesterday. BB had no problem taking both coupons. Hard for me to pass up a well-reviewed new release for 10 bucks.
Old 07-23-11, 10:36 PM

Best Buy allowed me to use both coupons today with no problems at all. Glad I remembered to pick up it up since it's the last day of the manufacturer's coupon.