Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Disney Movie Rewards now have Blu-rays

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Disney Movie Rewards now have Blu-rays

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I don't know why they don't offer all their titles in the reward program. I hate most of the offerings, and the few I like I already own. The POTC treasure chest is cool, but I already own the films separately. And I know as soon as I use my points on the chest Disney will announce a fifth film is coming, making the chest collection incomplete.
The titles they offer are mostly a way to dump excess inventory. Most of the prizes on Disney Rewards were items that didn't sell very well at retail or were over-manufactured.
Old 02-09-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The titles they offer are mostly a way to dump excess inventory. Most of the prizes on Disney Rewards were items that didn't sell very well at retail or were over-manufactured.
Yep. On top of that, with the exception of Enchanted and Dinosaur BDs where they had separate offers (remember the good old days of a free BD on your birthday?), DMR has yet to make available for rewards a single BD movie that I hadn't bought at least a year earlier. I have yet to redeem any points for a BD, and my rewards balance is over 5 digits. I keep hoping someday they'll put up some BDs I want, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

It seems they take away at least as many as they put up. It should be called DisneyOverstockDregsRewards.com. I'm not saying the movies are bad but simply that what little they offer is either ancient or lower tier.
Old 02-10-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Manzana
It seems they take away at least as many as they put up. It should be called DisneyOverstockDregsRewards.com. I'm not saying the movies are bad but simply that what little they offer is either ancient or lower tier.
Don't look at the UK Disney rewards program, it will make you cry. The UK program offers many premium Disney Blu-rays as rewards, including vault titles.
Old 02-10-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep. On top of that, with the exception of Enchanted and Dinosaur BDs where they had separate offers (remember the good old days of a free BD on your birthday?), DMR has yet to make available for rewards a single BD movie that I hadn't bought at least a year earlier. I have yet to redeem any points for a BD, and my rewards balance is over 5 digits. I keep hoping someday they'll put up some BDs I want, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

And that is probably the point when they are giving out FREE Blu-rays. They are getting rid of older titles the are overstocked on. They aren't going to give out frickin free Pixar titles. Have you claimed the domain www.manzananeverstopsbitchin.com?
Old 02-11-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Don't look at the UK Disney rewards program, it will make you cry. The UK program offers many premium Disney Blu-rays as rewards, including vault titles.
I looked...and wow! Are Disney Blu-rays much more expensive over there or do you get less points per disc b/c not only do they have the premium Blu-rays, you can get them for less points too.
Old 02-11-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I looked...and wow! Are Disney Blu-rays much more expensive over there or do you get less points per disc b/c not only do they have the premium Blu-rays, you can get them for less points too.
No, a different company runs the promotion over there. For people unaware, Disney itself doesn't run their rewards programs. They contract it out to a third-party company specializing in fulfillment and promotions, usually awarding the contract to the lowest bidder. That is good for Disney's bottom line, but poor for its customers.
Old 02-21-13, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the Titans is back on the list.
Old 03-05-13, 05:40 PM

New BDs added:

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2
African Cats
Meet the Robinsons
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Old 03-06-13, 07:02 AM

Thanks for posting the new additions, darkhawk. Unfortunately, as always and as usual with all BDs Disney adds to their DMR rewards, I already got all of those years ago. If they put a BD on the Rewards list I didn't have, I'd probably faint, have a heart attack, and nobody would ever hear from me again.
Old 03-06-13, 07:47 AM

I was tempted to get the avengers bicycle for my daughter...
Old 03-06-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for posting the new additions, darkhawk. Unfortunately, as always and as usual with all BDs Disney adds to their DMR rewards, I already got all of those years ago. If they put a BD on the Rewards list I didn't have, I'd probably faint, have a heart attack, and nobody would ever hear from me again.
You already owned Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2??? My opinion of you just dropped a little bit.
Old 03-13-13, 06:53 PM

Taken off the list:

The Princess Diaries 1 & 2
Old 03-14-13, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You already owned Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2??? My opinion of you just dropped a little bit.
To be fair (in my defense) I still haven't watched it yet. It was a blind buy and I paid $20 - $10 coupon for it new at Target. Still probably more than it's worth. In the good old days one could probably buy it used from Gohastings for under $5 with the right promo, but the glory days of Gohastings deals seem to be mostly over.

I still haven't redeemed any of my DMR points in a couple years apart for some HW Movie Money tickets. I keep hoping someday they will put up some BD I want but they only put the old titles I already have/don't want as rewards. I still have Lost S1-S4 BD on my list as a potential redemption and Amazon trade, but that's risky. I figure that either DMR will drop the Lost set before I get around to doing it or that the trade-in price will fall right after I order it (since the lock is only 7 days and Disney takes about 10).
Old 03-14-13, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Taken off the list:

The Princess Diaries 1 & 2
Of course because I was going to order that one. As they say, you snooze...
Old 03-14-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Tron Legacy 3D
Old 03-31-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Grabbed African Cats. Love the actual animals and the DVD Talk review says the picture quality is reference-level, so why not?

I debated the pros/cons of paying for S&H. If it were merely 100-200 more points, I would have gone the free shipping route, but since it's like 500 points more to save $4 shipping, I just went and paid for the shipping (even though I rarely even redeem the points I have).
Old 04-01-13, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Grabbed African Cats. Love the actual animals and the DVD Talk review says the picture quality is reference-level, so why not?

I debated the pros/cons of paying for S&H. If it were merely 100-200 more points, I would have gone the free shipping route, but since it's like 500 points more to save $4 shipping, I just went and paid for the shipping (even though I rarely even redeem the points I have).
In a Keanu Reeves voice... whoa! It has been so long since I ordered anything with rewards from DMR that I didn't know they charged shipping. The few movies I got in the past never had shipping charges. Is this a recent development and does it apply to all movie rewards or only some movies?

Even if I ever do find anything I want in their rewards catalog, getting hit an extra $4 or 500 points each for shipping makes their already borderline deals even worse. I seriously need to find something to redeem my 12000 points for before they jack up shipping charges further and delete anything else good in the rewards catalog. Those HW Movie tickets were probably a bad idea because I still have at least 4 tickets to use by June 30th, and AFAIK only 2 Disney movies are coming out between now and then.

I bought African Cats when it was released (it was $19.99 before some coupons), and I still haven't opened it, but I haven't seen any Disney Nature show I didn't like. The question is really what price is it worth.
Old 04-01-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

In a Keanu Reeves voice... whoa! It has been so long since I ordered anything with rewards from DMR that I didn't know they charged shipping. The few movies I got in the past never had shipping charges. Is this a recent development and does it apply to all movie rewards or only some movies?
Well, to be fair, I think it's more of a discount if you pay for shipping rather than a shipping charge. This Blu was like 1150 if you paid $4 for S&H or 1550 if you wanted it shipped for free. For a Blu with a MSRP up around $30, that seems like a pretty good deal -- especially when you figure you'll get 200 points back just for the purchase of a Blu Ray combo pack.
Old 04-01-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

In a Keanu Reeves voice... whoa! It has been so long since I ordered anything with rewards from DMR that I didn't know they charged shipping.
It's optional. The point redemption levels pretty much stayed the same for free shipping, but they added an additional option where you could redeem fewer points for a reward but pay for shipping.
Old 04-02-13, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
It's optional. The point redemption levels pretty much stayed the same for free shipping, but they added an additional option where you could redeem fewer points for a reward but pay for shipping.
Thanks. So you're saying that the point redemption prices on most movies still have shipping included and have not increased but they added a lower points option + shipping on some of the titles? That's better than I thought. I read the posts as saying ALL Rewards titles had shipping charges added but you could redeem points and not pay shipping on select titles.

I haven't saved previous points redemption lists of the movies, nor do I browse the movie Rewards selection very often, because there haven't been any titles I've wanted for so long. I noticed when I checked yesterday that Lost S1-4 is getting low inventory, so I guess I can't procrastinate buying that and trading to Amazon any longer, assuming Amazon's trade in value is still reasonable.

EDIT: I see that Lost S1-4 BD is only worth $28.11 on Amazon vs. $50 a couple months ago. Not worth it any more. I guess I missed my opportunity because I never manage to get around to do these things (work + family = no time). Still hope that someday I'll find something I actually want to spend my 10000+ DMR points on before the program ends. I wish I could cash those points in for some money. I probably have a few thousand more points I haven't even entered.

Last edited by Manzana; 04-02-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-02-13, 01:11 PM

The movie ticket offer is a pretty good deal when it comes in stock. It doesn't ever last too long, though. You can use it on any movie, too, even though it states Disney only.
Old 04-03-13, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
The movie ticket offer is a pretty good deal when it comes in stock. It doesn't ever last too long, though. You can use it on any movie, too, even though it states Disney only.
I'm pretty sure the bolded part is YMMV on the theater and person at the ticket booth. If it were meant for any movie (not just a Disney one) then Disney wouldn't have put the words "Disney movie" on the ticket. I read somewhere else that as long as a Disney movie was playing, you could use it for something else, but then the same thing could be accomplished without even asking. I'd think theaters could get in trouble for doing it, and if I went when there's no Disney movie playing, tried this, and they said no I'd end up having wasted a trip to the theater.

If it did have a 100% success rate, though, then I wouldn't be worrying about trying to use my remaining tickets before the end of June with only a couple Disney movies left between now and then.
Old 04-03-13, 01:06 PM

That's correct, it's YMMV, but I've had success with it, regardless of whether a Disney movie was playing. Either way, though, you're right - it's not a guarantee.
Old 04-12-13, 07:52 PM

Taken off the list:

Pirates of the Caribbean" Four-Movie Treasure Chest Collection
Old 04-12-13, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Taken off the list:

Pirates of the Caribbean" Four-Movie Treasure Chest Collection
I just ordered one last week and just got it, guess I got the last one sweet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.