Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Wizard of Oz 3-Disc Emerald Edition - $16.49 @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wizard of Oz 3-Disc Emerald Edition - $16.49 @ Amazon

DD still has it for $13.99 but w/o a pic or description, I'm a little concerned. I guess I can take my chances.

Edit: I looked up the UPC on Amazon and I got the correct one, so I'll assume it's legit. I'm debating on purchasing GWTW with it, though. I'll be lucky to get around to watching the movie not less the special features, but my wife wants it. The only special features that I would care about (and probably goes for my wife) were on the 4-disc DVD (mainly the newsreels). But I didn't even purchase that as I still have the original DVD release that's never been watched. I just can't get myself to sit down that long . But since my wife wants the movie, I'm debating on just purchasing the single disc for $14 or getting the UK version. I don't think the difference in price to the Scarlett Edition would be worth it. But I've never ordered from UK before. I looked it up and saw that it was about $15 US, but wasn't sure about the shipping. I figured I could probably find the special features we want to watch (especially the newsreels) online somewhere, though. As for Oz, we definitely want the 3-disc set as my wife wants the John Ritter movie.

Last edited by obidawsn; 02-21-10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I ordered from Deep Discount with free shipping and received it yesterday. It is the correct version.
Old 02-21-10, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
I ordered from Deep Discount with free shipping and received it yesterday. It is the correct version.
Thanks. I had went ahead and ordered it, anyway. Now I'm just debating on GWTW. I was waiting until I decided on it, but I wanted to make sure I got Wizard of Oz for sure.
Old 02-22-10, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Thanks. I had went ahead and ordered it, anyway. Now I'm just debating on GWTW. I was waiting until I decided on it, but I wanted to make sure I got Wizard of Oz for sure.
my advice is wait for a deal on the scarlett edition after it comes out

Last edited by Novasonic; 02-22-10 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by obidawsn
I ordered the 1-disc GWTW and it shipped the day before the 3-disc was announced. I compared what was on the 2nd and 3rd Blu-ray discs to what was on the 4-disc DVD set and everything that is on disc 3 and 4 of the DVD set is on the Blu-ray set, so I'm just going to put the two DVDs in a case with the Blu-ray.
Old 02-23-10, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I ordered the 1-disc GWTW and it shipped the day before the 3-disc was announced. I compared what was on the 2nd and 3rd Blu-ray discs to what was on the 4-disc DVD set and everything that is on disc 3 and 4 of the DVD set is on the Blu-ray set, so I'm just going to put the two DVDs in a case with the Blu-ray.
Yeah, if I had the 4-disc DVD, that would work, but I didn't bother buying it as I already had the 1-disc DVD and hadn't even watched it.
Old 02-23-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Deals are all dead.
Old 02-23-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Got my copy today from Amazon.
Old 02-23-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Mine just shipped today.

Thanks OP, for pointing this one out!
Old 02-23-10, 05:07 PM

I hope I don't get burned for canceling my Amazon order to go with DD for a few bucks cheaper.
Old 02-25-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crap, I just hate it when this happens. I was waiting and waiting for the Emerald Edition WOZ to become available at a decent price, and now I waited too long to order.

Now I have to wait some more because there is no way I'm paying over double what I could have just a few days ago. Oh well, it won't be the first time. Procrastination is my middle name.

I can only hope that as more places engage in these yo-yo pricing schemes their sales will fall thru the floor every time their price goes back up. Then maybe they will stop doing it and price stuff at more acceptable levels.

I have to wonder about something though.

How is a $49.99 MSRP (with a sale price of about $39.99) justified?

$39.99 was the Target MSRP price when they had the exclusive on it and they had no discount/sale pricing. Yeah, I know some people managed to get it at a discount during Target's holiday sale, but according to every official Target source I've read, the Emerald Edition WOZ was not supposed to be available at a sale price or discount. They brought in copies of the single disc version for their sale.

How is a higher MSRP justified when something becomes available thru more outlets? Especially for a catalog title like WOZ. Do any of these studio marketing geniuses really think that increasing availability and price at the same time will lead to more sales?

If so, I got a bridge to sell someone and they better buy it now.

Because next week the price doubles.
Old 02-25-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2
$39.99 was the Target MSRP price when they had the exclusive on it and they had no discount/sale pricing. Yeah, I know some people managed to get it at a discount during Target's holiday sale, but according to every official Target source I've read, the Emerald Edition WOZ was not supposed to be available at a sale price or discount. They brought in copies of the single disc version for their sale.
Whoever you are getting your information from is feeding you a line of crap....
The Emerald Edition most definitely WAS what was supposed to be (and was) available for the Black Friday sale....the Emerald Edition was clearly pictured in their ad, and the shelf sale tags clearly stated it was the Emerald Edition on them....the single disc version was still an exclusive to Walmart at that time as well....
Old 02-25-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Whoever you are getting your information from is feeding you a line of crap....
The Emerald Edition most definitely WAS what was supposed to be (and was) available for the Black Friday sale....the Emerald Edition was clearly pictured in their ad, and the shelf sale tags clearly stated it was the Emerald Edition on them....the single disc version was still an exclusive to Walmart at that time as well....
Maybe, but I read more than one post at various online forums (including DVD Talk) where someone looking for it at a Target was told by Target personnel that it was not.

Also, my personal experience in looking for it at any Target in my area was that the Emerald Edition was not to be found in the BR section in it's usual location in their racks (and where it has been available before and since BF), nor anywhere else in a store... while the single disc edition (which was not there before and has not been since) was there during the BF sale.
Old 02-25-10, 07:47 PM

I got mine yesterday also I will watch it it this weekend I hope. Heard the transfer is great.
Old 02-25-10, 10:28 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Got mine Monday.
Old 02-26-10, 06:03 AM

How is a $49.99 MSRP (with a sale price of about $39.99) justified?

How is a higher MSRP justified when something becomes available thru more outlets? Especially for a catalog title like WOZ. Do any of these studio marketing geniuses really think that increasing availability and price at the same time will lead to more sales?
Just because Target had the price at $39.99 doesn't mean that was the MSRP. Target rarely sells items at MSRP (even if it was exclusive). The $39.99 was their regular price, not necessarily the MSRP. Notice how most people have it at $39.99 (or within a few dollars) on a regular basis. It falls right in line with Target's pricing when they had it as an exclusive.

As for the BF deal, I'm not dismissing your experience, but I have yet to read anyone say they found the single disc version at Target on BF or any other day. Of course, when I went, they didn't have it at all. But in every forum that I have read, the people who got WoZ got the 3-disc set and that was what was pictured in the ad. You can't always trust Target employees to tell you the truth as most of them are probably clueless to what's going on, anyway (not saying all of them, just most, so don't bash me for saying that if you're a Target employee or know one). That's not just with Target but with any department store like that. The employees don't make the sales so they don't know all the details behind it. And if Target didn't intend for the 3-disc set to be on sale, then it wouldn't have rung up for $12.99. It's not like everyone who bought it had the price overridden. If anyone ended up with the 1-disc WoZ at Target I'd like to see a picture of it along with the receipt. I've never seen it anywhere but Wal-mart and never heard of anyone else finding it anywhere else but Wal-mart. If you saw it there, then I won't necessarily dismiss you, but I haven't seen anyone else talk about it.

Back on topic:

I ordered my copy of WoZ from DD a week ago and still haven't had it shipped. I usually have good luck with DD and usually receive the item within 2-3 days even with the free shipping. Since people were saying they were having ship dates set for March on Amazon and DD didn't have an image or full description up, I was wondering if this was some new release, so I was hesitant on it. But since people said they were getting the actual Emerald Edition from DD, I felt OK with it. Maybe they just didn't have enough to fill all the orders because it was such a good deal, so it's on backorder. There's no information on my order page or the item page itself. I thought they used to say when items were on backorder. I'm not in too much of a hurry for it, anyway, as I have a lot of movies I've yet to watch, but I was looking forward to seeing this on blu-ray and will feel better about it once it's in my hands. Right now, I keep getting concerned it will be cancelled or be the wrong item. At least, now, they have the image for the 3-disc set on the item page, though now the price is back up to $40.

Last edited by obidawsn; 02-26-10 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-26-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe, but I read more than one post at various online forums (including DVD Talk) where someone looking for it at a Target was told by Target personnel that it was not.
OK, then please explain for me why there were multiple postings at various online forums (including here at DVD Talk) from people who had no problem purchasing copies of the 3-disc Emerald Edition at Target on Black Friday....
Seriously, you're going to believe the hearsay of some lackadaisical, probably uninformed and merely speculating Target employees over the well documented and logical facts in this situation??

Also, my personal experience in looking for it at any Target in my area was that the Emerald Edition was not to be found in the BR section in it's usual location in their racks (and where it has been available before and since BF), nor anywhere else in a store... while the single disc edition (which was not there before and has not been since) was there during the BF sale.
Again, your experience clearly seems to be the exception to the rule in this case....many people (including myself) had no problem finding the Emerald Edition there in its regular location in the BD section at Target on Black Friday....

As others have stated, you seem to be hung up on the high "regular/MSRP" price on this one, and it appears to be one of the sticking points as to why you have a hard time believing that they sold it for so much cheaper on Black Friday...well, how can you explain "GONE WITH THE WIND" then? At the time of Black Friday, there was only ONLY one single disc/non UCE release of this on BD available, and it was a Target exclusive at that time and had the SAME $39.99 price tag as the Emerald Edition of OZ, and yet it too was also pictured in their Black Friday ad and sold at the same sale price of $12.99!
Old 02-26-10, 12:44 PM

OK, then please explain for me why there were multiple postings at various online forums (including here at DVD Talk) from people who had no problem purchasing copies of the 3-disc Emerald Edition at Target on Black Friday....
Seriously, you're going to believe the hearsay of some lackadaisical, probably uninformed and merely speculating Target employees over the well documented and logical facts in this situation??

Again, your experience clearly seems to be the exception to the rule in this case....many people (including myself) had no problem finding the Emerald Edition there in its regular location in the BD section at Target on Black Friday....

As others have stated, you seem to be hung up on the high "regular/MSRP" price on this one, and it appears to be one of the sticking points as to why you have a hard time believing that they sold it for so much cheaper on Black Friday...well, how can you explain "GONE WITH THE WIND" then? At the time of Black Friday, there was only ONLY one single disc/non UCE release of this on BD available, and it was a Target exclusive at that time and had the SAME $39.99 price tag as the Emerald Edition of OZ, and yet it too was also pictured in their Black Friday ad and sold at the same sale price of $12.99!
Wasn't Gone With the Wind $7.99 on BF?
Old 02-26-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by U2Cowboy
Wasn't Gone With the Wind $7.99 on BF?
No, it was $12.99, just like Oz and Gremlins were (two other Target exclusives at the time), but many people (including myself) used the notorious $5 off any BD store coupon on these, and were able to snag them at that $7.99 after coupon price!
Old 02-26-10, 01:02 PM

Photobucket

This is a picture of the ad scan for the BF ad... if that helps anyone

http://bfads.net/Target

And... Received my copy from Amazon yesterday
Old 03-09-10, 02:19 PM

Finally got my shipping notice from DD for the $13.99 Wizard of Oz Emerald Edition.
Old 03-09-10, 06:58 PM

Forgot about this thread. Turns out that's exactly what I did. Couldn't make it on BF and went back Saturday with coupon in hand. To my surprise they had both Wizard and GWTW.

No, it was $12.99, just like Oz and Gremlins were (two other Target exclusives at the time), but many people (including myself) used the notorious $5 off any BD store coupon on these, and were able to snag them at that $7.99 after coupon price!
Old 03-19-10, 02:17 PM

FYI, it's back down to $16.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWNIEK
Old 03-19-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yay
Old 03-19-10, 03:28 PM