deleted
Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Speaking of "Apes" does anyone own the double pack of Rise/Dawn? Are they the same discs that are in the stand alone releases?

i.e. which version should I pick up?
Old 07-17-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait a few months and pick up this version

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-of-the...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 07-17-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Speaking of "Apes" does anyone own the double pack of Rise/Dawn? Are they the same discs that are in the stand alone releases?

i.e. which version should I pick up?
Yes, they're the same discs from the standalone releases. If you wait for a few months, you may be able to pick up an obvious trilogy package for cheap. But it depends on how long you are willing to wait
Old 07-17-17, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
Sorry if this has been mentioned (didn't see it for the past few pages). A couple of Wal-Marts near me both have a Planet of the Apes display near the front of the store that have the Planet of the Apes Legacy Collection Blu Ray set (the 5 original movies) for $17.96, and they come with movie cash for War of the Planet of the Apes along with some "Wal-Mart Exclusive" War of the Planet of the Apes movie cards.
Worth it just for the movie cash (depending on how much it is) - do not miss the new flick playing in the multiplex. Its a technological/emotional tour-de-force and a true cinematic achievement. What the makers pulled off here is just breath-taking in every frame
Old 07-17-17, 09:54 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
worth it just for the movie cash (depending on how much it is)
$7.50
Old 07-17-17, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by sb5
$7.50
you could use it towards a morning show - i didn't realize that a morning show was a full $6 cheaper than an afternoon show. (Its been a long time since I've been to the movies) with that movie cash, you could catch the flick for anywhere b/w $2 and $5 depending on where you live

Apologize for the digression in topic here.1
Old 07-17-17, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Or you could catch it for free where I live. Morning shows are between 5 and 6 bucks. Heck, that will still get you into a matinee for free at some theaters.
Old 07-18-17, 06:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

$13.50 absolute minimum here. I hate my local theater.
Old 07-18-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$5 Tuesday's here! (even the Mega/IMAX screens)
Old 07-18-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yes, they're the same discs from the standalone releases. If you wait for a few months, you may be able to pick up an obvious trilogy package for cheap. But it depends on how long you are willing to wait
Cool. Thanks.
Old 07-18-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Another good 'pickup discount' on a Criterion:

SAFETY LAST - $17.71
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-La...creen/36170815

Amazon is matching, but naturally they're hiding it behind Prime.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-18-17 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, it doesn't seem to be publicized on their web site, but Walmart still offers price protection. If you buy something through their site and the price falls later (90 days for media), they will refund the difference. I found a comment about it here and later verified with a CSR in chat. I'd been getting only BD's for $5 and change, but bought two more expensive DVD's yesterday and you bet I'll be checking the price periodically. I have an Amazon rewards card and lose the 3% cash back in favor of 1%, but figure I'm ahead if the price drops more than a dollar.

Per comments in the Amazon thread, I'm no Walmart lover, but appreciate avoiding shipping charges with no minimum purchase and no Costco-like membership fee. I also like saying "thank you" to the price leader. There's a Walmart on each side of town, as part of larger commercial districts, and if I'm not actively shopping in one area or the other, I'm often driving through. Finding an attendant can be maddening sometimes, but as I don't demand two-day shipping from Amazon, I can bear the wait. Loving the competition.
Old 07-24-17, 03:42 AM

Following-up. The first time I approached Walmart for a price adjustment, they did it without question. After the second price drop, the new rep said they don't include the pickup discount in the calculation, meaning they only refund for changes in the base price. So I may try later with another rep, or else it might pay to leave higher-price items in the shrinkwrap in case you want to return and repurchase. Grrr, there's always a catch.
Old 07-26-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Probably not new, but...
THE PRIVATE EYES - $14.97 (after $7.06 discount)
RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD - $13.51
SEPTEMBER STORM 3D - $15.11
4 TIMELESS WESTERNS (Shout) - $8.24
SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW - $14.68
Amazon's matching, and in some cases beating (except on Serpent), and not Prime-only for a change.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-26-17 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 04:42 AM

I just had the most unusual experience with a site-to-store Walmart order. Placed an order at 3:27 am on 7/27 and received a pickup notice at 12:21 pm on 7/28. YMMV, but unless this was some kind of perfect storm, they shipped next day!

Of course I did still have to wait 10-15 minutes at the pickup counter for assistance.
Old 07-29-17, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
I just had the most unusual experience with a site-to-store Walmart order. Placed an order at 3:27 am on 7/27 and received a pickup notice at 12:21 pm on 7/28. YMMV, but unless this was some kind of perfect storm, they shipped next day!

Of course I did still have to wait 10-15 minutes at the pickup counter for assistance.
Was it in a shipping envelope or box? If not, they pulled it off the shelf at the store. They do that if it's something that's stocked locally.

My last pickup, a week or so back, was another jacked up mess. They'd moved the pickup to the front of the store with a niceish waiting area - a few comfy chairs with storage lockers and a large terminal screen for checking in, etc. The signs pointing to it are small (I missed them on the prior pickup and went to the back, which caused a delay because thy associate was up front helping people). So I go to the new location, there are a couple of older ladies waiting so I think everything's OK, press the "I'm here" button, sit down and wait. The screen stayed blank/black, one of the women gets up and leaves, the other is waiting patiently with a basket of stuff. After 5 minutes I notice a cable going to that terminal is just hanging so I go to the back pickup area. There's actually an associate at the register! I tell him I'm there for a pickup, he looks at my slip, says "It's up front" and we proceed to go back to where I'd started. I chat with him along the way and find that the terminal up front was out-of-order and had been for almost a week. The outlet it's plugged into shorted out the day after they installed it! There are *no* signs in the area indicating this situation. Sigh... another bad experience and another complaint to the manager. It's crap like this that keeps me using Amazon.
Old 07-29-17, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Was it in a shipping envelope or box? If not, they pulled it off the shelf at the store. They do that if it's something that's stocked locally.
One item was a BD, Shout's Screaming Skull for $12.01 and the other a Dummies book for a gift. Both in yellow shipping bags and definitely not store stock. The only thing that could sweeten the deal now is grocery coupons!

And with two new grocery stores now under construction, that wouldn't be a bad idea...
Old 08-01-17, 12:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Probably not new, but...
4 TIMELESS WESTERNS (Shout) - $8.24
4 Timeless Westerns (Rio Conchos, Take a Hard Ride, Butch & Sundance: The Early Years, The Last Hard Men) on Blu-ray is available for $3.95 from Hamilton Book.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/movies-...eless-westerns
Old 08-01-17, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by digidoh
4 Timeless Westerns (Rio Conchos, Take a Hard Ride, Butch & Sundance: The Early Years, The Last Hard Men) on Blu-ray is available for $3.95 from Hamilton Book.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/movies-...eless-westerns
+3.50 S/H. The good thing is that its a flat rate irrespective of the order size (when mailed out as a catalog order from the site)

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 08-01-17 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

+3.50 S/H. The good thing is that its a flat rate irrespective of the order size (when mailed out as a catalog order from the site)
That's also the flat rate shipping charge for any order size when placed online - but there's an extra $.40/item charge for using a CC. Mail orders must be paid with a money order or check.
Old 08-24-17, 08:51 AM

My Neighbor Totoro. (Ghibli) $10.46 with pickup

https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Neighb...ype=10&veh=aff
Old 08-24-17, 01:03 PM

I wonder if many noticed how Walmart is getting rid of all of their BD bins one store at a time?
Old 08-24-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The Blu-ray bins seem to get pulled off the floor and put in the back room when Walmart is pushing something else. I've noticed that in the smaller Walmarts. They tend to stay out in the Super Walmarts.
Old 08-24-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The BR bins here don't seem to have any great bargains... they're still at the $6.88 price point for titles almost everyone else is selling for ~$5.
Old 08-25-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The BR bins here don't seem to have any great bargains... they're still at the $6.88 price point for titles almost everyone else is selling for ~$5.
On that point I concur. Walmart's BD bin isn't any great deal these days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.