Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Brian T
Caltiki The Immortal Monster (Arrow) - $15.41 (after $7.71 pickup discount)

Creepshow 2 (Arrow) - $15.45 (after $4.64 pickup discount)

Pulse (Arrow) - $16.37 (after $6.60 pickup discount)

Dog Soldiers - $11.84 (after $5.41 pickup discount)

Finian's Rainbow (Warner Archive) - $11.94 (after $3.46 pickup discount)

The Boyfriend (Warner Archive) - $10.87 (after $3.85 pickup discount)

Time After Time (Warner Archive) - $12.88 (after $2.52 pickup discount)

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc Movie Collection - $16.56 (after $8.28 pickup discount)

Star Trek Trilogy Collection - $15.68 (after $7.84 pickup discount)

Woman of the Year (Criterion) - $17.14 (after $6.83 pickup discount)

Amazon's chasing these (except Creepshow, which is out of stock), but not surprisingly they've slapped most of them behind the Prime wall.
The pick up discounts seem to change frequently. Time After Time discount is down to 86 cents, Star Trek Trilogy currently has none.

Battleground (Warner Archive) is $12.22 after discount . Its $12.47 at Amazon as of when I am writing this.

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-06-17 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 03:12 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
That;s the dance. Walmart sets a price, then Amazon responds, then WM drops another 10 cents or quarter with in price or pickup discount, Amazon reacts until one or the other runs out of stock.

I'm not sure if this is all Battle of the Computer Algorithm or somebody at Walmart is just pushing buttons and tweaking Amazon's nose
Its all programmed thru a pricing engine that is customized to tweak the discount based on demand. Its pretty sophisticated and I have seen such a pricing engine work. However, am not sure people are ordering truckloads of a WAC title from Walmart to have the discount drop drastically. However, it does seem rather shameful on Amazon's part to not lead on this pricing wars even on select items. I have given most of these WAC discounted price business to Walmart on the last few weeks. While ship to store times have not dramatically improved, its markedly better than before
Old 07-06-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

That;s the dance. Walmart sets a price, then Amazon responds, then WM drops another 10 cents or quarter with in price or pickup discount, Amazon reacts until one or the other runs out of stock.

I'm not sure if this is all Battle of the Computer Algorithm or somebody at Walmart is just pushing buttons and tweaking Amazon's nose
Pretty sure it's a battle of software designs, and it's only when one company's software eventually starts selling merchandise at below cost (a conflict of pricing protocols), that a human gets involved.
Old 07-06-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
I have given most of these WAC discounted price business to Walmart on the last few weeks. While ship to store times have not dramatically improved, its markedly better than before
But the actual pick up experience is still rather horrible. That's why Amazon has receive my business on these. I don't have to leave the house or bother with WM pickup. I only do store pickup from WM if the product isn't available anywhere else and the discount is enough to pay for the time and gas it takes to get there, pick it up, and get back home. Lately that's been pretty much exclusively those titles WM gets a few months before anyone else and those usually have free shipping, without having to hit the normal threshold, to sweeten the deal.
Old 07-06-17, 07:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

My pickups at Walmart have been hit or miss, but even the worse ones not too horrible I guess. My local store just made things more confusing my adding tons of signs in and surrounding the parking lot to direct you to "Pickup", a special area next to the store with several special parking spots, and signs asking you to call this number when you arrive. Well, that area is for grocery pickup only.
Old 07-06-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I only did my recent store pickup because I'm going to be with half a mile Tuesday anyways; & the 2 items I bought would not have qualified for Amazon free ship; + Wally's was cheaper. I HATE Walmart parking lots. I've never done an in store pickup, but at the store closest to me if it required going to regular cs, I could easily be waiting up to an hour.

At least BB has a special pickup window that's faster then regular CS.
Old 07-06-17, 07:29 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

My Walmart advantage is that its a smaller, neighborhood grocery store, not the big ass, messy stores. And i go by that route once every week on a Friday evening. Timing it around 7pm, its quick in, quick out. The hassle is if I have to return it, which is when i have to do that in the bigger store. The neighborhood grocery store is only a pickup option
Old 07-06-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I only did my recent store pickup because I'm going to be with half a mile Tuesday anyways; & the 2 items I bought would not have qualified for Amazon free ship; + Wally's was cheaper. I HATE Walmart parking lots. I've never done an in store pickup, but at the store closest to me if it required going to regular cs, I could easily be waiting up to an hour.

At least BB has a special pickup window that's faster then regular CS.
WMs is in the back of the store where they usually do lay-a-way. I've waited 20 minutes for someone to show up. That time I went looking after the 20 minute wait, grabbed the first associate I saw and asked "What do you have to do to actually get someone to come to the pickup counter?"

I've waited 5-10 minutes at the other store (we have 2 supercenters and 2 groceries) with almost every visit having an associate walking by asking if anyone is helping me. When told "no" they get someone.

I don't bother with the grocery only stores as they're further away. My house is almost dead between the two supercenters, with one closer to my office and the other closer to church. The one close to church is the easier to get in/out of so I use it more for pickups. It's also the "quicker" of the two - if you call 5 minutes average wait quick. I have one waiting there right now. We'll see if it's improved - I complained to the manager last time.
Old 07-06-17, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
WMs is in the back of the store where they usually do lay-a-way. I've waited 20 minutes for someone to show up. That time I went looking after the 20 minute wait, grabbed the first associate I saw and asked "What do you have to do to actually get someone to come to the pickup counter?"

I've waited 5-10 minutes at the other store (we have 2 supercenters and 2 groceries) with almost every visit having an associate walking by asking if anyone is helping me. When told "no" they get someone.

I don't bother with the grocery only stores as they're further away. My house is almost dead between the two supercenters, with one closer to my office and the other closer to church. The one close to church is the easier to get in/out of so I use it more for pickups. It's also the "quicker" of the two - if you call 5 minutes average wait quick. I have one waiting there right now. We'll see if it's improved - I complained to the manager last time.
Mine is a "superstore" that includes groceries. I hope there's a separate p/u counter in the back. I don't go their often; but music & movies are in the back & I've never noticed it. Guess if the shipping is on time I'll find out Tuesday.
Old 07-06-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible, and think it's pretty shitty of Amazon to just sit there and price match instead of having their own original deals, I just price match at Target instead. All it takes is a quick online chat session and I get free shipping and save 5% with my Red Card. So far it's worked out good for me.
Old 07-06-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's Target's free ship threshold? I also dislike Walmart for moral reasons (which are currently being trumped by my finances).
Old 07-07-17, 12:47 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner $9.92 After Discount. Currently $9.92 at Amazon. Amazon matched.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Guess-Who...&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-08-17 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 610 Likes on 448 Posts

Noticed these in the Amazon thread. Figured they were chasing Walmart, where they're at least not restricted to members only :

Buena Vista Social Club - $16.02
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buena-Vis...u-ray/55455380

Jeanne Dielman Etc. - $16.16
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jeanne-Di...u-ray/55540798
Old 07-08-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got lucky on the pickup. Good parking space, & no line at the pickup desk. The clerk told me the average wait at that store's pickup is 5 minutes.
Old 07-08-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Have you ever used the mobile check in on the app? I've had mixed results, but I hit it if I have other shopping to do first. If your location/push notifications are off you have to do it manually.

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/...obile-check-in
Old 07-08-17, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Walmart I went to today changed where you pick up non-groceries. Instead of the photo area in the back of the store, it now has a kiosk near the Self Checkouts where you punch in either the order number or search for it by your name. This will notify an employee that you're there to pick up an order. The worker found the package in the locked cabinets there, I showed him my ID, signed an electronic pad, and I was on my way. Took maybe 5 minutes. Would have taken longer if he had to go find it in the warehouse.
Old 07-08-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mitch079
The Walmart I went to today changed where you pick up non-groceries. Instead of the photo area in the back of the store, it now has a kiosk near the Self Checkouts where you punch in either the order number or search for it by your name. This will notify an employee that you're there to pick up an order. The worker found the package in the locked cabinets there, I showed him my ID, signed an electronic pad, and I was on my way. Took maybe 5 minutes. Would have taken longer if he had to go find it in the warehouse.
The store closest to me has a room near the right front entrance. Good thing I asked an employee in the parking lot; the website said it was in the rear of that store.
Old 07-09-17, 01:25 AM

I haven't figured out how it works with my senior-itis Smart Phone inability. My location said I was in store and showed I had a package to pickup, but I could never find how to notify the store I was there to pick something up. I'm sure it's there, but danged if I could find it. I tried to activate it in the parking lot and it recognized I was at the store, but never could get to the next stage. I tried again right at the checkout desk when there wasn't an associate right there and I had the activate the little screen to "call an associate" (still not sure that's connected to anything and it's like though placebo dummy button 'Push to Walk' at city crosswalks)

That sounds pretty nice though the back of store being so much less crowded, My store has the packages in lockers/cages right at the pickup desk (rear of store, center near the Restrooms) so they just have to turn around and check the countertop
I forgot to add there are 9 plastic seats in groups of 3, so it's like a pen, and a television showing where you are in the queue.
Old 07-11-17, 06:27 AM

The Martian Extended Edition with Instawatch is down to $8.99
Old 07-11-17, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
The Martian Extended Edition with Instawatch is down to $8.99
Do you mean the DVD?
Old 07-11-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I despise what Walmart stands for; but with my current finances, & their current pricing they are likely going to be getting a significant piece of my business with the store pick up discounts. It seems to average around 10% which effectively translates to no sales tax.
Old 07-11-17, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang
Do you mean the DVD?
DVD is $8.99. It did have it on BD. My order was cancelled for price error
Old 07-16-17, 03:48 AM

I noticed a few Scream Factory titles at sub-$14 prices:

Without Warning $13.21
Screaming Skull $13.49
The Evictors $13.55
The Town That Dreaded Sundown $12.88

after the in-store pickup discount, of course. There are probably more. I believe these all marginally beat the prices in Shout's recent sale. And (if I understand this correctly) Amazon is mostly keeping-up.
Old 07-16-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 610 Likes on 448 Posts

More Shout titles, with Amazon matching:

Naked Cage - $13.82
Thunder Road - 11.48

Last edited by Brian T; 07-17-17 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 07:29 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been mentioned (didn't see it for the past few pages). A couple of Wal-Marts near me both have a Planet of the Apes display near the front of the store that have the Planet of the Apes Legacy Collection Blu Ray set (the 5 original movies) for $17.96, and they come with movie cash for War of the Planet of the Apes along with some "Wal-Mart Exclusive" War of the Planet of the Apes movie cards.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.