Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives
Reload this Page >

Lynch or Tarantino?

Archives Old posts on the forum. They go here to rest in peace.
View Poll Results: Whose work do you prefer?
David Lynch
40.00%
Quentin Tarantino
60.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Lynch or Tarantino?

Old 08-02-10, 09:40 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Lynch or Tarantino?

David Lynch has more of an imagination than just shooting, stabbing, and beating the hell out of everyone. The only film I really liked by Tarantino was From Dusk Till Dawn and that was because it had vampires in it, the others are just new ways to shoot, stab, torture, and beat the hell out of everyone. -kd5-
Old 08-02-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
David Lynch has more of an imagination than just shooting, stabbing, and beating the hell out of everyone. The only film I really liked by Tarantino was From Dusk Till Dawn and that was because it had vampires in it, the others are just new ways to shoot, stab, torture, and beat the hell out of everyone. -kd5-
aren't most vampire movies?
Old 08-02-10, 09:57 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
aren't most vampire movies?
Yes, but violence just for violence's sake seems to be Tarantino's claim to fame, and From Dusk Till Dawn isn't much different, the only difference being it has vampires in it which actually required a bit of imagination, something David Lynch has in abundance. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 08-02-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I have nothing against Lynch. I have enormous respect for him and find him to be a true original. However, Tarantino's films get me excited about the art of moviemaking all over again. Lynch's films are interesting but Tarantino's films are truly stimulating and remind me in every fiber of my being why I got into film in the first place.
Old 08-02-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Although Tarantino wrote From Dusk Till Dawn, it's very much a Robert Rodriguez flick. So let's give credit where credit is due.
Old 08-02-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not wise enough to get the genius of Lynch, so I voted for the other guy.
Old 08-02-10, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
...I'm not sure how to understand your post. Lynch isn't a genre director so..maybe that's why you think QT lacks as much imagination as DL.

I think Lynch is ok to see every once in a while but QT was the guy that made me want to become (and know be) a student filmmaker and hopefully a successful professional filmmaker in my future.
Old 08-02-10, 12:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Tarantino by far. Lynch's movies are simply too weird to be enjoyable for me. I chuckle at all of these "Lynch is my favorite director" comments... ask these people what some of Lynch's movies are about, and they will likely not be able to tell you... and when pressed, they'll likely respond "BUT THAT'S THE GENIUS OF IT!" :jo:
Which movie do you want to know about? The only film I couldn't make heads or tails of is Inland Empire. Rather, I don't think Inland Empire has a head or tail to make out.

For a very long time, Lynch was my favorite director, and I find it funny that you would paint every single Lynch fan with the same brush stroke. Just because you don't enjoy his movies doesn't mean there isn't something there to enjoy, or ponder, or appreciate.
Old 08-02-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-02-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have nothing against Lynch. I have enormous respect for him and find him to be a true original. However, Tarantino's films get me excited about the art of moviemaking all over again. Lynch's films are interesting but Tarantino's films are truly stimulating and remind me in every fiber of my being why I got into film in the first place.
Yes first time I watched Pulp Fiction I was blown away. I watched that movie so many times I memorized every single line of dialog then came "Kill Bill" which was the first time in my life I got the same feeling as watching japanese animation but this time with real actors. And then "Inglorious Basterds" blow me away again with its celebration of movies and history.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm not wise enough to get the genius of Lynch, so I voted for the other guy.
Yeah I think that applies to me. I get 40% percent of his films when i watch them then i have to go read about what they meant and then i go "Ohhh i can see it now... pretty clever" but then again i already spent 2 hours going crazy watching them.
Old 08-02-10, 12:52 PM

Tarantino by a long shot...it's not even close. I've only seen a handful of Lynch films and never have the desire to revisit any of them.
Old 08-02-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

God DAMN you!

Hmmm... Mulholland Dr is my favorite film of the 2000s... but I fucking hated Lost Highway, and I don't fucking hate anything Tarantino ever did... plus the perfect trifecta of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown... the Kill Bills run out of steam at the end of Part 2, but what a ride to get there... but wait, Blue Velvet and Eraserhead are mesmerizing, and I love the look and feel of Dune and, to a lesser extent, the flawed Elephant Man... but Inglourious Basterds is a total freakin' hoot...

Bah. Tarantino takes it. But it wasn't easy.
Old 08-02-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't read through this thread, but since this forum blindly worships Tarantino like a God, I'm assuming this debate is a mute point here. That aside, realisticly this isn't even a debate worth discussing, Lynch is so beyond Tarantino in artistic talent it is laughable. Tarantino's career is nothing more than copying obscure films that mainstream audiences have never seen, & then passing them off to the masses who then think its just so cool & original. Lynch changed television with a TV series that was so influential it is still copied today, he pushed boundaries a way network television has never seen before. He pushed boundaries in Sci-Fi in a way that had never been seen before in film & has constantly tried to bend-genres with his creativity. Lynch is a true artist that embodies what creativity in the medium can be, Tarantino takes creativity of pioneers like Lynch, & makes it digestable & easy to consume.
Old 08-02-10, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Lost Highway is a trip into the unconscious, touching on themes of identity, infidelity, loss, the transience of memory, and transformation. Its narrative is a purposeful enigma, designed to take the viewer on a journey for the journey's sake. If you're trying to watch it and figure out why event A led to event B, that's not the point. It's better to think of it as a mood piece than a narrative, although the plot suggests a psychogenic fugue has taken place, Lynch has said that is not a sufficient explanation for the film's events. Rather, the images and occurrences should evoke a reaction from the viewer, and allow the audience to ponder their meaning without tying it down to a traditional narrative structure.

I will now sit and wait for the torrent of replies of how I didn't answer the question or am bullshitting or being a pretentious ass, etc. etc.
Old 08-02-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

A psychogenic fugue...!
Old 08-02-10, 04:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
That aside, realisticly this isn't even a debate worth discussing, Lynch is so beyond Tarantino in artistic talent it is laughable.
Or perhaps all that "artistic talent" is just insanity, and his fans are too insecure to admit some of his films just plain suck?
Old 08-02-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Or perhaps all that "artistic talent" is just insanity, and his fans are too insecure to admit some of his films just plain suck?
There is definitely insanity involved & that turns most people off, & he has produced some crap indeed. But his highs are lightyears ahead of anything Tarantino could ever dream of & at least Lynch mines the caves of his own insanity for his films rather than Tarantino who goes to a rental store to get his ideas.
Old 08-02-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lynch#Influences

Lynch has expressed his admiration for filmmakers Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, Orson Welles, Akira Kurosawa, Stanley Kubrick, Jacques Tati, Alejandro Jodorowsky, writer Franz Kafka (stating "the only artist I felt could be my brother was Kafka"), and artist Francis Bacon. He states that the majority of Kubrick films are in his top ten, that he really loves Kafka, and that Bacon paints images that are both visually stunning, and emotionally touching. He has also cited the Austrian expressionist painter Oskar Kokoschka as an inspiration for his works. Lynch has a love for the 1939 version of The Wizard of Oz and frequently makes reference to it in his films, most overtly in Wild at Heart.

His influences have also included Werner Herzog, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder and Luis Buñuel. Some of Lynch's influences have cited him as an influence themselves, most notably Kubrick, who stated that he modeled his vision of The Shining (1980) upon that of Eraserhead and who, according to Lynch's book Catching the Big Fish, once commented while screening Eraserhead for a small group that it was his favorite film.
Old 08-02-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Tarantino.
Old 08-02-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

There is definitely insanity involved & that turns most people off, & he has produced some crap indeed. But his highs are lightyears ahead of anything Tarantino could ever dream of & at least Lynch mines the caves of his own insanity for his films rather than Tarantino who goes to a rental store to get his ideas.
I don't think it matters if you draw your inspiration from your subconscious, a floating paper bag or other films but how you create the magic with the tools used.
Yeah Lynch is definitely on a complete different level but that doesn't necessarily mean he has reached the Nirvana of film making.

Also is kinda of unfair to put these two directors together. They are working in complete different environments i think. One is trying to create chocolate milk the other one Green Tea.

As for me I like Tarantino better because he is more direct and his dialogues are always engaging and well thought of. I do see Lynch's greatness at creating something different "Muholland Drive" blew me away and it was an amazingly well structured piece of film. But his other films have left me empty and feeling a little dirty. Maybe that was his point to get me completely involved regardless if the feeling is good or bad. But for that I think Kubrick (and even Nolan now) have proven to be better at creating a film that has its own identity and universe, create a specific feel in you, makes you think and most importantly are pretty damn entertaining

Last edited by nando820; 08-02-10 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 05:31 PM
Banned by request

Insanity and creativity are often closely linked. That is not an insult. And while some of his films do plain suck, it's probably a far smaller number than what you're suggesting.
Old 08-02-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
Yeah Lynch is definitely on a complete different level but that doesn't necessarily mean he has reached the Nirvana of film making.
Nobody here said it did, just that he is better than Tarantino, which isn't really saying much because many directors are. Sorry to break the news to everyone here.
Old 08-02-10, 05:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I pretty much agree with you, but just like to jump into either side of an argument when either side comes across a little smug.

And while I agree that certain things are better made and/or more original or more artistic or whatever, sometimes I just want something "fun". And QT's films are a heck of a lot of that.
Old 08-02-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty much agree with you, but just like to jump into either side of an argument when either side comes across a little smug.
Well, I know I'm a dick, its more fun that way. It would be boring reading all the posts of "popular movies rule, Tarantino is popular, & Lynch is weird, I don't understand that weird stuff, it might make me accidentely think during the movie". Oooops, there I go again
Old 08-02-10, 05:49 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Well, you just lost me right there....in that brief description of the narrative.

Whenever I've taken a "journey for the journey's sake" in the past (against my intuition), it's turned out fairly shitty, I'd say, at least 90% of the time. Poorly planned, little to no $ for expenses, problem after problem during an unplanned trip....and that same intuition tells me that I'm missing nothing but some more boredom & confusion by becoming a Lynchfan. What do I mean by "more"? "More", as in, I've seen some of his movies, and want to see no "more".

Tarantino bats 1000 for me. Lynch rates so much lower, even though I've only seen 5 of his films (well, I saw 4, and then two other ones I saw just 1/2 of... ). There's no Lynch film that I'd re-watch (of the ones I've seen), and I only enjoyed one of them, and only marginally. The rest bored me to tears with that arthouse stuff.

I own (& can re-watch all of) the entire QT catalog.
Lynch isn't for everyone. Heck, some people still look at Picasso paintings and can't figure out what's so great about the guy. But that doesn't mean that the art is lacking in merit.

And I'm not arguing for one second about the quality of QT's work. He is amazing. At the same time, I'm willing to bet if you asked his opinion of Lynch, you'd get nothing but praise from Tarantino.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.