Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

The Sony DVP S7700

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-01, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been trawling the web trying to establish whether this piece of equipment (The Sony DVP S7700) is Multi-Region, Region-Free, or Code-Free, or whatever. in its unmodified state, can it handle the new ERC encoded DVDs from Warner, Paramount et al?

I have movies from Region 1 (Amazon.com of course) but lately friends have been sending over Region 2 titles from the UK. I currently use two PC DVD drives (one for each region) and would like to replace this setup with a home player that can handle content from ALL regions.

Would someone in the know please help before I burn 1 K dollars on a single region player. Ive been to Sony.com which was not of much help. I've also visited Techtronics but am not quite comfortable with the rather expensive "mod"ed players, and a little unsure of their capabilities with the new ERC coding schemes from Warner, Paramount et al

Any info will be highly appreciated...

Regards to you all

G. Agola

Old 04-09-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most mass-market DVD players are for one region only. You can buy a modified version of them at some specialty shops, or you can buy a kit to modify it yourself, but out of the box, most DVD players are one region only.

The 7700 is a few years old now, and any units for sale right now might have been modified pre-RCE -- in other words, there's no guarantee that if you buy a modded 7700 that it will handle RCE. You are better off finding another brand/model that has been recently modded to specifically handle RCE. Or find a region selectable player like the Apex, etc.
Old 04-09-01, 10:19 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The 7700 is not anything free. The 7000 was, with a switch on a circuit board, but then they removed that too.

I would not spend anywhere near $1000 on the 7700. Its price is quickly dropping as a new, superior model has replaced it.
Old 04-09-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own this player and it is not region free. It is a great player though! You can find it on line for under $600.

Old 04-10-01, 12:21 AM

And I thought I was on to a winner with the 7700! So what in the blue blazes has replaced it, and is that replacement anything-free? "Expensive" SONY is the only manufacturer that stocks DVD players locally, so far.

I have also seen $ 500 - 600 on-line offers on the 7700 at various websites, but those do not specify the regions they are for, or even whether they have been modified, so I assume they are region 1s.

Furthermore the offers are not really "accessible" to me right now (international credit card, 110 vac power supply, as well as local duties and VAT that would blow the price way up to $1200 - YES 110% or thereabouts on "LUXURY ELECTRONIC GOODS")

Can anybody give me the low-down on the Apex (or any other region-selectable) player
Old 04-10-01, 12:26 AM
X
Administrator

Yikes! You're in Nairobi! I understand the selection problem.

There's a new Sony 9000 progressive player that's supposed to be very nice, but it's nothing free either. And it's very expensive.

Can you build or enhance a computer? That could be the best way to go. You can get a region free DVD drive and have PAL and NTSC output. What kind of display or TV are you using?

Interested? I can give you some links to get you started if you're interested.
Old 04-10-01, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by X
The 7700 is not anything free. The 7000 was, with a switch on a circuit board, but then they removed that too.

I would not spend anywhere near $1000 on the 7700. Its price is quickly dropping as a new, superior model has replaced it.
Is there anyway to tell if my 7000 has that switch or not?
Manufacture date?
Old 04-10-01, 01:43 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by eXcentris
Is there anyway to tell if my 7000 has that switch or not?
Manufacture date?
I'd have to do some research on that. I know you can tell by opening it up.

There are sites that have that info 'cause that's where I saw it. I suggest a search. In any case I believe you can do the deed with or without the switch. The switch just makes it easier.

How about you search first? If you can't find it I'll try again, but it may take me a while. And congratulations!
Old 04-10-01, 01:55 AM

Yeah X, Nairobi it is!

Sure I can, and do, tinker around with a PC. The current system is actually a no-name clone from Europe, 128 MB RAM 10 GB HD, 17" SVGA monitor, soon to be replaced with a 29" Sony TV(THE MATRIX was way too narrow on the monitor...), Creative DVD Encore 12x with DXr3 card, and all the necessary cracks and tweaks already downloaded but not yet applied (mainly out of FUD...)

The DVD drive is a recent addition, barely two months old, and I wanted to watch the six or so region 1 discs that I have before tinkering with it. Thats done now, and I was contemplating "fixing up' the drive for all regions soon.

However room ergonomics place the computer FAR away from the TV, and when I asked for a 10 metre S-Video cable at the SONY shop, they just stared back at me open-mouthed, which is why I was thinking of a dedicated player...(I'll still be on the lookout for any SONY upgraders who may want to dispose their 7700 in favour of the newer, superior replacement)

Otherwise shoot with any ideas...

Old 04-10-01, 02:04 AM
X
Administrator

I'll have to address this tomorrow because I'm really tired and have to get to bed (California).

You can extend your video, one way or another. I'm just so impressed with the capabilities of my home theater computer (no region limitations, no PAL/NTSC limitations)...

If you have some time look at http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgi/forum...ters&number=12

There are no constraints other than the quality of your components. Don't let a cable length stop you -- there's ways around that. That's what makes it interesting.