DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Need Universal Remote Help

bsuiter
04-06-01, 08:52 AM
I searched through the past threads for help on this subject, however, I didnt find exactly what I was looking for (and if there is a thread that answers this- I apologize). I am looking for a universal remote that can handle 8 components, including my TV. There seem to be a ton of them on the market and I looked through remotecentral.com (thanks to those of you who posted it), yet was still baffled by all of my choices. I am looking for a touch screen, preferable with channel and volume buttons, and maybe a menu? However, I need an interface where I can not only change the function of the buttons but also change their labels. There are so many on the market that I have no idea which companies are reputable and which are not. I have the Marantz univeral that came with my reciever, but it is not non-audiophile user friendly, and my girlfriend can't figure out how to turn on the TV, say nothing of put on the 5.1 surround and play a DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions or personal preference for either companies to look into or specific remotes? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

RaptorsFan
04-06-01, 09:16 AM
Try http://www.smarthome.com/specialremote.html

jumbojp
04-06-01, 10:06 AM
If you can afford the Pronto I would say get that. It will do everything you need and more!

knit-witt
04-06-01, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you will only be satisfied by the Philips Pronto. Go back to remotecentral.com and check out the Pronto forum.

danw
04-06-01, 10:27 AM
Another vote for the Pronto--you can't beat it!

bsuiter
04-06-01, 12:33 PM
Sounds like the Pronto has the votes. . . question- is the set up (which if I am correct is computer based) as hard as so many reviews make it out to be? I am far from a knowledgable programmer and only a basic computer user- am I going to be lost setting this thing up? How intuitive is it and user friendly? Thanks all for your replies!

audrey
04-06-01, 03:32 PM
as noted above the pronto/marantz remotes are great. but if you don't want to spend that much $, the sony 2100 might suit your needs. for more info on remotes see http://www.remotecentral.com