Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

geoff you ever feel like your running a preschool?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

geoff you ever feel like your running a preschool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-01, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes i feel i am at one. With everybody always bitching and moaning about "personal attacks", or "wrong forum", and the ever popular "this is not a bargin" etc... Sometimes i feel for you.
Old 04-05-01, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know.. "bitch, bitch, bitch" Look at my thread, Mods your doing a good job! cause I think they truely are!
Old 04-05-01, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
I don't see what's wrong with providing feedback and suggestions in a forum entitled "Forum Feedback & Suggestions".
Old 04-05-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ctyner, I can tell you that is seems like it goes beyond suggestions and feedback.

Mods get accused of double standards, being too strict, being too lenient, playing favorites, etc..etc..etc. A lot of passive-aggressive crap. Sometimes people assume things that are not true.

For example, a thread here took mods to task. There was an exchange and then the thread was gone. Someone else posted a new thread, because the old thread "magically disappeared." What does that imply? The truth is, the original person who created the thread decided to delete it. Or maybe I read too much into things.

Anyway, I feel like it's herding cats sometimes. The thing is, the range of users with all different things they are sensitive about, with all different ways of perceiving things or misunderstanding threads/posts....it can be a difficult job. And no matter what we do, some people will not like it.

Often there is a lot of work involved in being a mod, stuff people don't ever see. Dealing with trolls, people who log on to spam. People who want to attack the boards. Checking IPs and admin stuff. Helping out in other forums. Moving threads. Private email stuff. And the pay really sucks.

It really helps when someone says thanks or notices. I am on other forums also, and sometimes I wish those other forums had the level of moderation this one does.
Old 04-05-01, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by randyc
It really helps when someone says thanks or notices. I am on other forums also, and sometimes I wish those other forums had the level of moderation this one does.
There are mods here?

Good job, everybody!
Old 04-05-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Ctyner, I can tell you that is seems like it goes beyond suggestions and feedback.
Oh, absolutely, but the three things that damn_skippy mentioned in his post aren't unreasonable, IMO. That's what I was responding to.

I administrate quite a few boards, so I can sympathize.

I am on other forums also, and sometimes I wish those other forums had the level of moderation this one does.
It's hard to balance. I don't think the sort of heavy-handed moderation that makes the Home Theater Forum such an incredible forum would function well here.
Old 04-06-01, 12:50 PM
Banned

Can't we all just get along?
Old 04-06-01, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Soup Nazi
Can't we all just get along?
uh, no
Old 04-06-01, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally posted by ctyner
BTW, the correct verb for that is "administer."
Old 04-07-01, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Todd B.
Originally posted by ctyner
Good catch!
Old 04-07-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by Bushdog
Good catch!
Not really.

Originally posted by Todd B.
administrate -- v. to administer (Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition)

administrate -- v. t. [L. administratus, p. p. of administrare.] To administer. [R.] --Milman. (Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.)

administrate v : work in an administrative capacity; supervise; "administer a program" [syn: administer]
(Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University)
Old 04-07-01, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I prefer "administrate" - it more suggests "being in charge of; maintaining," whereas "administer" sounds more like "dispensing".

- David Stein
Old 04-07-01, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mods get accused of double standards, being too strict, being too lenient, playing favorites, etc..etc..etc. A lot of passive-aggressive crap.
Yeah, but only the really crappy mods get accused of that

- David Stein
Old 04-07-01, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah David, but I have to stick up for them. They make the rest of us Mods look bad...

Oh wait...

[BANNED]

Old 04-08-01, 08:08 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
bitchin is a part of human nature and with the anonymous nature a online forum provides people are more willing and able to take this bitchin further than they would in real life

i personally could never get offended by a personal attack from a complete stranger on the net ! i just don't take it all that seriously . I actually don't mind the odd catfight now and then but i know others get their knickers in a twist way more easier hence the rules which we have to follow