DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Mon Oncle

Old 04-04-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't really heard much about this one, but I'm curious. Could someone please give me a review on this one?
Old 04-04-01, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Eddie Norton
I haven't really heard much about this one, but I'm curious. Could someone please give me a review on this one?
Jacques Tati is all you need to know... the French master of Chaplin-Keatonesque (it's in the dictionary) comedy! Tati's M. Hulot is the bumbling Uncle lost in the Modern world of high tech (60's high tech). Some people prefer Playtime and M. Hulot's Holiday - I think you need all three - Tati's grand statement on the loss of innocence and history with the onslaught of the dehumanization of technology. Mon Oncle is centered around Uncle Hulot's visit to his nephew's ultimate modern house - pranks and pratfalls follow. It's not as sweetly innocent as Holiday and not as sophisticated as Playtime. As a poor analogy, right off the top of my head, it's the "White" of the "Three Colors" trilogy (Kieslowski) - on it's own nice, but definitely needed within the set.
Old 04-04-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So all three films you mentioned above are comedies, including Mon Oncle?
Old 04-04-01, 04:04 PM

Yes, they are comedies - Tati was a master of situation and physical comedy... with a deeper theme attached. There is a scene in Playtime at a night club, where Hulot falls down below a table with a woman and a mannequin (at least I seem to remember) - For a split second Hulot lifts the mannequin leg above the table and it looks like the woman's leg... does not sound that funny upon retelling, but it is a visually subtle moment meant to enhance Hulot's character, rather than hammer the audience with bufoonery. If you are fond of Chaplin, Keaton, or even Jerry... I recommend.
Old 04-05-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie was definately stunning in the artistic aspects of film, though I could not recommend it for people with a short attention span. Visually, the film is stunning. The comedy is subtle and not too often. For many times, the film will delve into silence for minutes on end. Luckily, the music was great. It should definately be seen, though I think a movie like this requires a rental, as many people would not like it.

Dan
Old 04-05-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone said Tati is a french combination of Buster Keaton and Mr.Bean. Subtly hilarious.