DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Question about PowerDVD

Scott27
03-31-01, 07:11 PM
I'm thinking about ordering the PowerDVD software because the software I currently have isn't very good at all. If I order PowerDVD, would I be able to install/use it both on my computer here at school and my computer at home? Thanks.

X
03-31-01, 08:34 PM
That might be ok if you don't use them at the same time. Read the license of the demo version.

Darren Garrison
03-31-01, 10:45 PM
POSSIBLE? It is POSSIBLE for you to install on every Wintel box on the planet with your one copy. LEGAL? It might violate the agreement, but how are they going to know? ETHICAL? Yes. If both computers belong to you and you use only one at a time, you have every ethical right to install on both computers, even if the company wants you to pay for two copies. (Gee, I wonder why they would want that?)

[Edited by Darren Garrison on 03-31-01 at 08:49 PM]

Scott27
03-31-01, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
POSSIBLE? It is POSSIBLE for you to install on every Wintel box on the planet with your one copy. LEGAL? It might violate the agreement, but how are they going to know? ETHICAL? Yes. If both computers belong to you and you use only one at a time, you have every ethical right to install on both computers

Thanks. I don't want to cheat any company out of money, but I'm not going to spend $50 on it and only install it on 1 of my computers. From September to May, I use my computer at school. In the summer, I use my other computer at home. If I pay $50, I want to be able to use it year-round.

Again, thanks.

nico95
04-01-01, 04:13 AM
Dude you bought it...install it on any computer you want...hell intstall it on mine! :)

Tuco
04-01-01, 10:12 AM
scott27, you might find it for much less than $50.00, I came across a place called http://www.directdeals.com that has it listed for $13.62 shipped, but I've never ordered from them. If they sell the current version, PowerDVD 3.0, this might be a good deal.:)

Darren Garrison
04-01-01, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Tuco
scott27, you might find it for much less than $50.00, I came across a place called http://www.directdeals.com that has it listed for $13.62 shipped, but I've never ordered from them. If they sell the current version, PowerDVD 3.0, this might be a good deal.:)

He might want to go with 2.55. I had crash problems with 3.0 that never happened with 2.55, and I didn't see anything worthwhile added to 3.0 anyway.

Scott27
04-01-01, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Tuco

Thanks for the link. Before I order it from them, what does "OEM CD ONLY" mean listed under special features? Anyone know? Thanks.

ernestrp
04-01-01, 05:44 PM
Tuco,

Thanks for the link. Decided to try it. I already have a Realmagic Hollywood Plus but have found some recent MGM titles dont work with that and havent heard from Sigma Designs about that problem. I tried the PowerDvd demo and they worked on that.

Not sure which version it is thats listed but it sounds good enough, I hope.

OEM is like when you buy a computer and it has has software or hardware already installed. It usually means no customer support from the companies and may not be upgradeable.

Zerpad
04-01-01, 08:46 PM
Probably all you should expect is a CD in white envelope (you know the kind).

In general, OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are parts that are shipped to computer system builders. If you buy something that is OEM, you get a lower price (since it was bought in bulk), no manual, and no fancy boxes. As far as I know, your still entitled to support.

However, I'm somewhat skeptical of the PowerDVD's support (sent a q to them, never got a response). Fortunately, the program is good enough that you most likely won't need to use it.

ernestrp
04-03-01, 03:39 PM
I got the disk today (I live maybe 10-15 miles from the Directdeals.com) Its version 3.0. I havent had any crash problems so far.

Scott27
04-03-01, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ernestrp
I got the disk today (I live maybe 10-15 miles from the Directdeals.com) Its version 3.0. I havent had any crash problems so far.

Thanks for the update. Since I had never heard of the site, I was going to use you as a guinea pig and wait to order until you posted that you got yours. :D I'll go order now. -smile-