Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Last Temptation Of Christ DVD review/ opinions wanted

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Last Temptation Of Christ DVD review/ opinions wanted

Old 03-25-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What'd you think of the movie?

How is the DVD?
Old 03-26-01, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What'd you think of the movie?

Two thumbs up!

How is the DVD?

Two thumbs up!

Enjoy!

. . .
Old 03-26-01, 07:33 AM

Contrary to what Christian Fundamentalists would tell you, "Last Temptation" is probably one of the most moving explorations of faith you can find in the movies. (And I say that as a staunchly non-religious person!) If you feel that anything other than a strict adherence to Biblical text is blasphemy, stay far far away. But if you're willing to focus on the humanity of Jesus and how it is affected by his (proclaimed) divinity, this is as good as it gets.

If you're a Scorsese fan, it might be easier to say that the movie is in the same spirit (ha) as Kundun, or even Mean Streets, in that it explores the interaction between the sacred and the profane. It's impeccably filmed, and Peter Gabriel's soundtrack adds some appropriately eerie backing to the proceedings.

As a DVD, it's another standout Criterion as far as I'm concerned. The extras aren't essential: some home movies by Scorsese, an interview with Peter Gabriel, some articles that influenced Scorsese's imagery and scholarship on Biblical issues. I've only listened to a small portion of the commentary, but it seems to be the most useful/entertaining addition...
Old 03-26-01, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's what I said about it in my 2000 Year End Best DVDs write-up:
6) The Last Temptation of Christ (Criterion Collection) - An emotional and controversial film if there ever was one, Last Temptation presents Jesus' journey as one taken by a real flesh and blood human, not an idealistic saint. Therefore he is prone to anger and confusion. Director Martin Scorsese also came under fire for depicting a deep bond of love between Jesus and Judas, something that deepens the film and the story immeasurably. It's hard not to feel Judas' agony when Jesus asks him to turn him in to the Romans. That so many Christians have a problem with this scenario points out their latent anti-Semitism and homophobia. What the film depicts is a powerful and honest relationship borne of intense respect.
Old 03-26-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a no brainer. Terrific film with one of the best soundtracks ever recorded presented in an outstanding DVD package. Placed my pre-order the day it was announced.
Old 03-26-01, 12:11 PM
Banned

first time i saw the movie i thought it was excellent. went back and watched it a few years later on DVD and i wasn't as impressed. good job by willem dafoe, scorsese, and peter gabriel, but the material is pretty sparse. it's mostly a rehash of what we already know and a fairly boring depiction of it. i would watch it again in another year just to remind myself of what it's like, so i'd give it maybe 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

disc is pretty well produced if i recall correctly (i too got it when it came out), but i find criterion's colour movies to be overly grainy
Old 03-26-01, 12:43 PM

"Boring" pretty much summed it up for me. I watched as much as I could tolerate, then started fast forwarding to look for something remotely interesting (I couldn't find it). The extras were decent, but not great enough to warrant paying Criterion's inflated MSRP. Keep in mind that I'm an atheist, so your enjoyment might depend upon your religious stance.
Old 03-26-01, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Bobubott
"Boring" pretty much summed it up for me. [...] Keep in mind that I'm an atheist, so your enjoyment might depend upon your religious stance.
I'm an atheist as well, but I found it just as interesting as "Kundun" -- another Scorsese story about an icon for a religion I don't share. I guess I'm fascinated by people's religious struggles even if I don't have any myself. (To be fair, I *used* to have 'em.)

Suffice it to say, the movie isn't for everyone. It's slow and dreamlike, and you have to be in the right mood. The first time I watched it I'd had a pitcherful of Long Island Ice teas, so I was in no state for such a theme or pace... ;-)
Old 03-26-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Boring" pretty much summed it up for me. I watched as much as I could tolerate, then started fast forwarding to look for something remotely interesting (I couldn't find it). The extras were decent, but not great enough to warrant paying Criterion's inflated MSRP. Keep in mind that I'm an atheist, so your enjoyment might depend upon your religious stance.
all religion aside, this is one of the most beautifully filmed contemporary films. The cinematography is enough to praise this film as one of the best ever made, and seeing a nice presentation on dvd is a truly great thing.
Old 03-26-01, 03:52 PM

I agree with empire state on this one. Overall it's a nice transfer, but I was a bit disappointed with the graininess of it. To be fair, the grain didn't jump out at me when I watched the DVD on my previous setup (50" 4:3 RPTV), but it did on my new display (65" 16:9 RPTV). YMMV.

Pete
Old 03-26-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Birdcell
"Boring" pretty much summed it up for me. [...] Keep in mind that I'm an atheist, so your enjoyment might depend upon your religious stance.
I'm an atheist as well, but I found it just as interesting as "Kundun" -- another Scorsese story about an icon for a religion I don't share. I guess I'm fascinated by people's religious struggles even if I don't have any myself. (To be fair, I *used* to have 'em.)

Suffice it to say, the movie isn't for everyone. It's slow and dreamlike, and you have to be in the right mood. The first time I watched it I'd had a pitcherful of Long Island Ice teas, so I was in no state for such a theme or pace... ;-)
I'm athiest and thought it was great! 7 Thumbs Up!
Old 03-27-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a devoted Christian and I though this was an outstanding film in ever aspect! For those Right-wing Christians who wanted this film banned I always laugh at their appearant lack of true Christian beliefs because if you are right with Jesus and God nothing anyone says or does should shake their beliefs! So if you make a big deal out of these types of things I must believe these people are so easily shaken in their beliefs in God that they must try to ban anything that could make them think other than they do currently in their beliefs!

As to the film if you think about it what would be the ultimate temptation brought upon Jesus by the Devil but to make Jesus decide not to die for all our sins!

Old 03-27-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Not a movie that I would watch over & over but it is a very good film. The transfer & sound are well done. The commentary is pretty interesting & I found the home movies to be the highlight of the disc. Worth renting, yes. But worth owning...you have to decide.
Old 03-27-01, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Frank S
I am a devoted Christian and I though this was an outstanding film in ever aspect! For those Right-wing Christians who wanted this film banned I always laugh at their appearant lack of true Christian beliefs because if you are right with Jesus and God nothing anyone says or does should shake their beliefs! So if you make a big deal out of these types of things I must believe these people are so easily shaken in their beliefs in God that they must try to ban anything that could make them think other than they do currently in their beliefs!
Interesting to hear a Christian viewpoint . . . I and my friends are basically atheists (although open-minded ones at that), so I've never been able to get a Christian perspective on what I consider to be the most definitive examination (and affirmation) of Christianity I've seen on film. It is slowly-paced and somewhat dreamlike, but the final payoff is worth it.