Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: Lucky Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-01, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody probably knows that 2000 wasnt a good year for John Travolta. When I saw this title in my local rental, I thought of Battlafield Earth and hesitated renting it. Since there was nothing else, I took it home. John Travolta plays a TV weatherman who is in serious debt. Travolta and girlfreind Lisa Kudrow attempt to scam the state lottery and win $6 million. The movie is enjoyable. The funniest character in the movie was Micheal Moore as Kudrow's sickly and perverted cousin. The movie is entertaing but the DVD is terrible. Paramount has definately screwed up with this movie. It is strickly a bare-bones DVD. An "okay" rental but not worth owning.
Old 03-22-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm...

http://www.3blackchicks.com/bamslucky.html

? !
Old 03-23-01, 01:48 PM

sorry for those people who watch the movie..
Old 03-24-01, 03:55 PM

Its not that bad of a flick, but the dvd does suck. My only concern was that they make Central Pennsylvania residents out to be rather weird. As a resident of York, which is mentioned in the film, we aren't all that bad.
Old 03-24-01, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was actually thinking about renting this movie because both Ed O'Neill and Colin Mochrie, whose work I enjoy, are in it. Are either of them in the movie for a considerable length of time? Thanks.
Old 03-24-01, 06:52 PM

Ed O'neil is a main character and is in it quite a bit.
Old 03-24-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nightliner
Ed O'neil is a main character and is in it quite a bit.
Thanks, I'll probably give it a rental, then.
Old 03-26-01, 02:07 AM
Banned

Question:

A friend told Lisa Kudrow shows her boobies in this. Is that true?
Old 03-26-01, 06:54 PM

Sorry, Jack - that information is incorrect. However, everyone who says that LN was a bad movie IS correct - it's terrible...
Old 04-03-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought this DVD for one reason and that was they filmed LN in my hometown of Sacramento, CA. I was working at a hotel where the crew was staying. I was invited to visit and hang around the set. John Travolta and Nora Ephron both signed a call sheet for me. They were both really cool. The movie sucks but I got to watch them film it. Its a really fun memory for me. Too bad its a bad movie.
Old 04-04-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are too many things wrong with this movie to even begin itemizing. So I'll go for big splashes.

The plot gets more and more predictable as this one goes on. The few twists and turns in this movie are never startling, ingenius, or even above average. Most comedy mishap movies either work from the premise that it goes better and better despite the ineptitude of the characters or it gets worse and worse, beyond all silliness. This, oddly can't make up its mind and gets mired and weighed down by going in neither direction far enough.

With the exception of some fabulous supporting cast members like Michael Moore and Michael Rapaport, no one here is memorable. Lisa Kudrow's character is perhaps the worse. She seems like a cold-hearted b*tch turned nice so the actress wouldn't spoil her image. In the end, she's neither menacing nor conniving enough to illict laughs or even a good smile. Ed O'Neill who is normally a fantastic character actor gets a boring role who's character is neither important to the story, nor interesting. Tim Roth seems lost in this hail storm of idiocy. His character being just another boob -- ultimately. This seems surprising given the character. Just another bad peice of movie-making. Lastly, Travolta's character is consistantly not funny, sympathetic, or deplorable -- while the plot and character want him to be! He's like some sorta teflon -- it just won't stick. How he manages this, I have no idea.

Another hollywood pitch that got made because enough stars showed up, not because of the story, script, characters, gags, etc. When will the madness end?

-Beebs
Old 04-05-01, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by adia4625
I bought this DVD for one reason and that was they filmed LN in my hometown of Sacramento, CA. I was working at a hotel where the crew was staying. I was invited to visit and hang around the set. John Travolta and Nora Ephron both signed a call sheet for me. They were both really cool. The movie sucks but I got to watch them film it. Its a really fun memory for me. Too bad its a bad movie.
Starting to veer off topic here, but it was for a similar reason that I saw Drop Dead Gorgeous. They filmed it at my middle school (which I hadn't actually attended yet, but was going to be the next year) I lived about a quarter of a mile from the school, so I'd bike up to the set every so often. One day I got to meet Ms. Richards..... which was insanely cool Got her autograph on a grocery list I happened to have on me. However, when I saw the movie...... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It was a novelty to see my school in a movie, once... but NEVER again!
Old 04-08-01, 11:09 AM

I thought Drop Dead Gorgeous was funny. Sometimes I think that was a love/hate flick.