Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

£5 Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

£5 Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-01, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check it out: all you gotta do is enter your e-mail address.

http://www.thomascook.co.uk/competition/TC_CRM_frameset2TC.html

There is a £7.50 minimum purchase, but what DVD is less than £7.50? Word.

--Jeff

De-linked - please cut and paste

[Edited by jonathan.e on 03-17-01 at 09:28 AM]
Old 03-17-01, 10:57 AM

I just received this e-mail:

Hi there!

Thank you for registering for your £5 Amazon.co.uk gift
certificate on thomascook.com, we have received
your details and your gift certificate should be with you
within the next four days.

Please remember that there is only one gift certificate per
person available.

When you receive your gift certificate just log on to
Amazon.co.uk to find millions of great titles to choose from,
including travel books and guides. Also, check out http://www.thomascook.com
for great travel tips and useful local information for your
next holiday destination.

Kind Regards,

thomascook.com

Old 03-17-01, 10:59 AM

Thanks, always handy these, I haven't paid full price for a CD in ages. I have put all of my email addresses in.
Old 03-17-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please remember that there is only one gift certificate per person available.

Daren if you’re going to abuse the offer contrary to their rules probably best not to post that you are, as it only serves to annoy people who consider that applying for one is enough.

[Edited by jonathan.e on 03-17-01 at 09:29 AM]
Old 03-17-01, 06:58 PM

Do they have any good deals at Amazon UK for use with this coupon (when/if it arrives)?
Old 03-19-01, 11:08 PM

That was easy. Do you think folks outside UK would really be barred from redeeming this GC?
Old 03-20-01, 02:03 AM

I got it and I used it to buy some cd's: 14.99 for two cd's including shipping & tax is not bad.

It works for international customers too, I'm in Belgium.

Gaétan
Old 03-20-01, 02:30 AM

I used it for The Winter House. Amazon UK's prices are including VAT, which is removed if you're outside EU, so to Norway it was only £5.21 including shipping and coupon. This movie is not available i region 1. They also have a very good price on Quake 3, although that's starting to get a bit old.
Old 03-20-01, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by Daren
I have put all of my email addresses in.
GRRrrrrr !
Old 03-20-01, 05:42 AM

:(

Originally posted by jonathan.e
Please remember that there is only one gift certificate per person available.

Daren if you’re going to abuse the offer contrary to their rules probably best not to post that you are, as it only serves to annoy people who consider that applying for one is enough.

[Edited by jonathan.e on 03-17-01 at 09:29 AM]
Gotta agree with you there jonathan.e - thats the reason this sort of offer is SO damn scarce now!
Old 03-20-01, 05:57 AM

It seems they also have a referer program where I and the referer could have got another £5. Too bad. Let me know if anyone else want to be refered, or find a friend who is already a customer to refer you, so you don't miss out on this deal.
Old 03-20-01, 07:54 AM

Oh come on guys, the reason we don't see many of these offers is that UK business's are normally always out to screw the consumer.

Therefore when one of these offers comes along, I use it to my advantage.

[Edited by Daren on 03-20-01 at 06:20 AM]
Old 03-20-01, 08:30 AM

Nice rationalization Daren! You go girl! Get those evil, jackbooted Brits!
Old 03-20-01, 08:44 AM

Oh come on guys, the reason we don't see many of these offers is that UK business's are normally always out to screw the consumer.
Therefore when one of these offers comes along, I use it to my advantage.
the reason why we don't see many of these offers is people take advantage of them using multiple email accounts and screw the business into never offering them again
Old 03-20-01, 09:08 AM

I sorry but if someone wants to give me a voucher for entering an email address, I'm going for it in a big way.

Whats the point in not doing it, they're not going to thank you for only entering one email address.

Its not as if there are a limited number of Promo vouchers available.

Now which CD shall I order next !
Old 03-20-01, 10:09 AM

I tend to think of it this way -

A big downtown record store has a promotion - walk in the door and there's a guy handing out 5 pound notes, but only one per customer. You walk in, take the note, say thanks, and keep walking. You happen to notice that behind him there's a big stack of wrapped bill packets. It's a big corporate chain - they've got huge amounts of money. What do you think everyone around you is going to think you are, when you walk over and take a packet or two of notes? I'm betting it's not going to be "a guy being smart and taking advantage of a really good deal", and the security guard watching you pick up the notes probably isn't thinking that, too.

Rule of thumb.... if you wouldn't do it in a B&M store, don't do it online.

Old 03-20-01, 11:54 AM

I sorry but if someone wants to give me a voucher for entering an email address, I'm going for it in a big way.

Whats the point in not doing it, they're not going to thank you for only entering one email address.

Its not as if there are a limited number of Promo vouchers available.

Now which CD shall I order next !

Oh YES there usually is a limited number of promo vouchers available!! This means that if there are people ordering 10 or 20 vouchers, in the end 10 or 20 other people will miss out on the deal. This is especially agitating if you're not going to (be able to) use all 20 of them, and just let a couple of them die of expiration. Which will pretty likely be the case here, since it's 1 per customer, and I think you need different addresses to use them.

Stuff like that happens all the time; don't be so naive!

This time, you were able to use the deal. Maybe next time, someone else will cause you to miss out on something like this the same way you're screwing other people now. You wouldn't like that, now would you?

So you're right, the company offering the deal isn't going to thank you for just entering 1 address, but many of your fellow DVD-collectors will be silently thankful.

Len
Old 03-20-01, 02:03 PM

Sorry Len2000, but there are not a limited amount of promo's available, the time period to get them may be limited but these £5.00 promo's cost next to nothing to send out, so what's the problem with taking advantage.

You obviously don't know what your talking about.
Old 03-20-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Daren you are obviously the one who is ignorant of the facts here. Who do you think compensates Amazon for each GC used? Thomas Cook does. They have allocated a marketing budget for this promotion and when the quota is reached they shut off the supply. People like you who are abusing the goodwill of these companies are directly contributing to the decline of consumer offers and the instability that many companies are going through at present and also depriving others of the chance to use this offer once.

As I said in my previous post if you are going to do this don’t post about because I for one find these kinds of actions extremely dishonest and reprehensible.
Old 03-20-01, 03:29 PM

Most likely Amazon and TC share the cost, or there wouldn't be a minimum purchase, and only one/order. Either way, someone's paying for this, and the usual way this works is that TC gets a bunch of valid codes from Amazon, which they give away. Obviously this way they're going to run out sooner or later. I very much doubt that Amazon has given TC the secret formula to create unlimited amounts of GCs.
Old 03-21-01, 05:24 AM

Come on guys, don't get so upset by it.

These £5 promo's are so easy to come buy,

Lineone are still offering one when you sign up for a E-mail address.

Amazon are still offering them via refer a friend.

And now Thomas Cook are offering them for putting in your email address.

These promo's in the end cost very little, Thomas Cook get valuable email addresses, to which they can sell thier services and Amazon get the business. If people only order a low value item (I beleive the minimum is £7.50), the actual amount the person is paying is £2.50 plus P & P (this is the worse case scenario)Amazon may make a small loss,but I expect most people but a CD or DVD £10 - £15, therefore Amazon make no/or very little profit on this small transaction, but have the hope that people come back to their site and place further orders.

I personally can't see what the big deal is, people subscribed to the HP offer multiple times, heard one guy braging that he got 40 vouchers through, but in the end everyone who did the survey got at the very least a $10 promo.
Old 03-21-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Farscape Set 6

For those in North America or anywhere else where VAT is not applied to orders:

I just ordered Farscape Set 6, which lists for GBP24.99, but which Amazon.uk sells for GBP19.99. When you check out, the price is adjusted to remove the 17.5% VAT (dropping the price to GBP17.01). With your GBP5.00 GC and 2.95 for shipping, the total price is still only GBP14.96 (approx US$20). This is a very good price for this box set, assuming your DVD player can play R2 discs.